Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
StringWitch

Should Wyoming/Arkansas have a 360 Turret?

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,589 posts

360 degree firing arcs for certain guns were implemented a long time ago now, but I've come to wonder about the 5th turret on the Wyoming class — the rearmost superfiring one. Its position is such that the area around it is clear of major obstructions in all directions. On Wyoming's stock hull there is a minor obstruction of wires, can't confirm anything about the top hull since I don't have it, and on Arkansas it's completely clear.

 

Real restriction from the actual ships (perhaps to maintain fire control continuity with each pair of turrets), balance consideration, or oversight?

Edited by StringWitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,426 battles

Technical limitations below the turret itself - all the machinery there. Plenty of turrets in the game that have the space to turn, but they can't as it's not only the top part that needs to be turned

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,335 posts
3,697 battles
On 01/06/2018 at 2:10 AM, wilkatis_LV said:

Technical limitations below the turret itself - all the machinery there. Plenty of turrets in the game that have the space to turn, but they can't as it's not only the top part that needs to be turned

This pretty much. The intarfacing between the fixed structure and the rotating structure that make up the turret doesn't allow for continious 360-degree rotation. There are very few ships that had turrets that could do a full rotation, and those were mainly destroyers, and even then some of them had the traverse limited for safety reasons. You see the thing about bringing the turret completely around is that you'll eventually will have to bring it back the way it came because of all the conduits, cables and piping coming up from the hull (same as with a tank, btw). 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
841 posts
42 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

 (same as with a tank, btw). 

No. Turrets are a self contained unit. Power from batteries are run through power contacts on the turret ring. There are no wiring through the hull and into the turret.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,615 posts
2,818 battles

IRL technical restrictions aside, there are some ships in the game that have gun turrets with magical properties. The two for'ard guns on the Okhotnik are one example of this, as the 'B' turret, despite not being in a superfiring position, is able to fire straight ahead without any disturbing influence on the 'A' turret. Given their relative positions, the first shot fired straight ahead from the 'B' turret would be expected to blast the 'A' turret clean off the deck. The fact that it does not, is clearly the result of powerful magic. I postulate the existence of a sinister bargain between the Kremlin and the Baba Yaga.

 

Then we have the 360' turning aft turrets on the Nürnberg. I totally love them, but I honestly don't know if they are historical in that regard...? :fish_book:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,335 posts
3,697 battles
3 hours ago, siramra said:

No. Turrets are a self contained unit. Power from batteries are run through power contacts on the turret ring. There are no wiring through the hull and into the turret.

 

NVM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,589 posts
5 hours ago, Procrastes said:

IRL technical restrictions aside, there are some ships in the game that have gun turrets with magical properties. The two for'ard guns on the Okhotnik are one example of this, as the 'B' turret, despite not being in a superfiring position, is able to fire straight ahead without any disturbing influence on the 'A' turret. Given their relative positions, the first shot fired straight ahead from the 'B' turret would be expected to blast the 'A' turret clean off the deck. The fact that it does not, is clearly the result of powerful magic. I postulate the existence of a sinister bargain between the Kremlin and the Baba Yaga.

 

Then we have the 360' turning aft turrets on the Nürnberg. I totally love them, but I honestly don't know if they are historical in that regard...? :fish_book:

 

On Ohkotnik it works by the gun elevating enough to fire over the one in front; at short ranges it can't be done. Wouldn't want to crew the A gun though. Various Japanese ships can do the same (Ishizuchi to rear, Ibuki to front), but those turrets are all are fully enclosed.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
2,615 posts
2,818 battles
14 hours ago, StringWitch said:

 

On Ohkotnik it works by the gun elevating enough to fire over the one in front; at short ranges it can't be done. Wouldn't want to crew the A gun though. Various Japanese ships can do the same (Ishizuchi to rear, Ibuki to front), but those turrets are all are fully enclosed.

The Okhotnik actually loses forward fire power at close range? No kidding? :Smile_ohmy:

I swear, the things I don't know about this game, I could write a book...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,589 posts
8 hours ago, Procrastes said:

The Okhotnik actually loses forward fire power at close range? No kidding? :Smile_ohmy:

I swear, the things I don't know about this game, I could write a book...

 

I mean, I don't have the ship, but it should be like any other with level inline guns. The range for the B gun ceasing to fire could be as little as 1-2km due to their size, though generally it's more like the 10-12km on Ishizuchi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×