You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FishDogFoodShack

New campaign missions are absolutely ridiculous

95 comments in this topic

Players
577 posts
4,698 battles

Seriously WG, I whtough this kind of bull was over with when the NA team took over missions from EU?

the Hit Hard! Hit Fast! campaign is a joke. Whoever designed these missions is utterly divorced from reality. Before I elaborate further, yes I am fully aware that the campaign is permanent, yes I and everyone else has plenty of time to try to grind this out. But so was Yamamoto and that campaign wasn't nearly as restrictive and balls-to-the-wall luck based.

Let us first talk about the mission requirements themselves. They have been absolutely stacked. Be among top 3, win, AND shoot down 12 aircraft/12 fires or floods/3 medals/ 50k spotting? That is a lot to do! Naturally though, any skilled player can do this eventually, it just might take some beelining in order to accomplish it after a while. the REAL problems start to arise when you look at ....

The star rewards. The number of stars you get for these missions, when compared to effort involved, is incomprehensible. The aforementioned examples are worth a whopping TWO (2) stars, out of twelve required to complete any given stage! to compare, the Yamamoto campaign's 2 star missions had requirements such as:

300k dmg to cruisers over any number of battles,

two (2) dreadnought medals over any number of battles,

or 30,000 exp after any number of battles.

idk about you, but for only 2 stars, these seem WAY more reasonable. It is noteworthy to compare that Yamamoto's last stage offers a mission to gain 40k exp for a single star, and in the same place in this new campaign, you need 100k captain exp again for a single star. This is only compounded even further when you consider ...

Nation restrictions. For some reason, WG has decided that these American-[edited]missions are going to need exclusively american-[edited]ships in order to finish them. Those stingy and grindy missions you though you could get done more easily in your Hindenburg, khabarovsk or Shimakaze? Well too fkin bad becuase if you don't have a Des Moines, you can't even try to do any of them, bar those totally-worth-it one star missions of course. The Yamamoto campaign again, despite being totally centered on the IJN and one of their admirals, had NO SUCH restrictions on nation. Ship-specific restrictions are fine up to a point, but at the moment this campaign is a big [edited]you to anyone who doesn't have a t9-10 American shitboat. You could have every other line finished in the game and you'd still be excluded.

I suppose it is fitting in a way for the American Campaign to exclude all other nationalities and make totally disproportionate demands, but I'd actually rather not get political and don't want this kind of restrictive and unrewarding mission design in game. Dissapointed in the community as well because of seeing no hubub at all when the mission specs were shown to be just this crazy, or the fact that Halsey getting a 20% reload reduction for only a confederate was not talked about at all. No CC touched on this. When Yamamoto was coming out the doomsaying was real because of how broken his Kraken ability was, and is. Now that there is an even BETTER version in the game, nobody cares anymore?

TL;DR New campaign is obscenely grindy and restrictive, and Halsey is powercreeping af.

• Cool 13
  • Bad 3

Players
944 posts
5,328 battles

they seem pretty steep but it's a permanent campaign, and some of the descriptions are wrong. You don't need to do 500k to German BB in one game and win for example.  You can also just repeat the easy ones obviously.

• Cool 3

[BLITZ]
Players
2,077 posts
9,136 battles

I think it's supposed to be a long time challenge.

So I guess it will take some time and... well, be challenging.

You will get six Supercontainers and a 15-point unique captain among other stuff, this shouldn't be a piece of cake.

• Cool 5

Players
2,173 posts
3,836 battles

I was about to open a thread about why is Halsey campaign so much harder then Yamamoto campaign then saw this thread.

I agree its ridiculous, no matter its a perma campaign. If people wanna get commander it will take them months to get him unless they are very skilled players who own all US class high tier ships.

GG WG, GG...

1 hour ago, SeeteufeI said:

Yea but not that much challenging compared to Yamamoto. Halsey is basically counterpart to Yamamoto, and look the diferences in tasks...

• Cool 5

[PUPSI]
Players
6,245 posts

for the simple one star grinding missions the amount of XP to collect might be higher, but it is only captains XP, which is much easier to get, thanks to signals and camos...

Players
2,173 posts
3,836 battles
4 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

for the simple one star grinding missions the amount of XP to collect might be higher, but it is only captains XP, which is much easier to get, thanks to signals and camos...

If you dont have Dragon special signals, then its a very long road.

• Cool 1

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles
5 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

This. 

You do have a point with nation restrictions though. Those are always stupid since it excludes some players from the get go. Only have Missouri and gearing and Cleveland so far, so will be determined how much I can do. 

I don't mind the captain though. In cw and comp you don't get any rewards and their bonus doesn't kick in. Seagull was more problematic since that one doesn't have a kicker which activates his bonus. 

Players
577 posts
4,698 battles
1 hour ago, walter3kurtz said:

they seem pretty steep but it's a permanent campaign, and some of the descriptions are wrong. You don't need to do 500k to German BB in one game and win for example.  You can also just repeat the easy ones obviously.

They fixed the description last I checked actually. And like I said, obviously it is permanent and you can repeat the easy ones. But since when does that excuse the rest of this campaign's details and restrictions from being poorly designed and fked??

I managed to get Duke of York in the allotted time by repeating the one star missions, but that doesn't instantly mean that that particular campaign was any less of a shitshow does it?

1 hour ago, SeeteufeI said:

You will get six Supercontainers and a 15-point unique captain among other stuff, this shouldn't be a piece of cake.

Saying that this campaign's needs are overwhelming does not imply that I or anyone else thinks that it should be easy. These things are not mutually exclusive. But guess what? Yamamoto's campaign also awards you a 15 point captain and a number of super containers (I cannot remember the exact number) so for a counterpart campaign, the USN equivalent to the IJN one already in game, this level of difficulty/grind creep is insane.

54 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

This. 

You do have a point with nation restrictions though. Those are always stupid since it excludes some players from the get go. Only have Missouri and gearing and Cleveland so far, so will be determined how much I can do. 

I don't mind the captain though. In cw and comp you don't get any rewards and their bonus doesn't kick in. Seagull was more problematic since that one doesn't have a kicker which activates his bonus. 

I was actually completely unaware that the bonuses don't pop in comp modes, I'll edit the OP, thanks.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
947 posts
13,484 battles

I for myself dont mind that so much since:

a) i have desmo, fletcher, misu and midway so i guess they should be enough to cover most steps

b) its a us nawy centered campaign with us elite Captain as a final Prize tied to a usn collection and release of new usn line soo logically its us centered no?

c) i have time

Admittedly they MIGHT have put a 1/2 star missions with weaker prizes free of nation restrictions BUT why even grind a top usn commander if u dont have high tier  usn ships? You obviously are not that interested in usn tree anyway if u dont have any ships aldough it would be nice if it started at say t5 or t6 and scale up with steps to “follow the grind” instead of t8+ same goes for yammamoto campaign

Players
2,173 posts
3,836 battles
4 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

They fixed the description last I checked actually. And like I said, obviously it is permanent and you can repeat the easy ones. But since when does that excuse the rest of this campaign's details and restrictions from being poorly designed and fked??

I managed to get Duke of York in the allotted time by repeating the one star missions, but that doesn't instantly mean that that particular campaign was any less of a shitshow does it?

Saying that this campaign's needs are overwhelming does not imply that I or anyone else thinks that it should be easy. These things are not mutually exclusive. But guess what? Yamamoto's campaign also awards you a 15 point captain and a number of super containers (I cannot remember the exact number) so for a counterpart campaign, the USN equivalent to the IJN one already in game, this level of difficulty/grind creep is insane.

We can repeat easy tasks (or should I say, easier then others) but they reward only 1 star. And campaign stages have 9-10-12-12-15 stars and that is a lot in the end.

Yamamoto had 8 super containers in total. 4*2 per stages. Which is more then Halsey's 6 SC's.

• Cool 2

Players
3,601 posts
7,323 battles

Isn't the Adm. Halsey captain a bit weird in terms of skills and talents, expert loader and marksman skills are best suited to BB but then the hit fast talent is earned through a double strike, which I would guess is pretty rare in a USN BB.

[JRM]
Players
947 posts
13,484 battles

Well same skills are “John Does” specials and he Mans my prem us bbs and desmo with his 19 points quite fine, probably not ideal combo but it works for me, but yes u have a point there

[CATS]
Players
14,730 posts
10,882 battles

As always too much whine from start instead of just playing and trying it out...

• Cool 6
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 2

[IDDQD]
Players
1,746 posts
15,971 battles

good news, some long time goal to hunt.

Better harder than 1 day speedgrind.

• Cool 1

[-TXG-]
Players
2,376 posts
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

As always too much whine from start instead of just playing and trying it out...

Agree...just press a mission button and forget about it until it flashes up completed, then press another or do it again. Too many people want to do it in a week. It's permanent so it doesn't matter how long it takes....obviously the impatient won't agree but so what.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,780 posts
10,685 battles
1 hour ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

It is noteworthy to compare that Yamamoto's last stage offers a mission to gain 40k base exp for a single star, and in the same place in this new campaign, you need 100k captain exp again for a single star.

I won't dispute other parts (especially before looking through the missions myself) but 100k captain XP is way easier to accumulate than 40k base XP - captain XP takes in ALL the XP bonuses AND ALL captain XP bonuses... With some signals (not even dragon one) and some camo you easily net 5-10k captain XP per battle. And it can be boosted more if you actually go premium, really special camos and full set of Dragon flags on a first win of the day - 20k+ captain XP battles, here we come :Smile-_tongue:

That being said, the rest of the things you said... seems like quite a sh*tfest of a campaign, especially with the national restrictions on top of all the rest. Wonder if I ever finish it.

Players
577 posts
4,698 battles

Again - for the third [edited]time - thinking these missions are outrageous and wanting to finish the whole thing in a week are not mutually exclusive. Is reading comprehension dead? is this community physically incapable of thinking beyond radical extremes?

Or does everyone who thinks these missions are fine just happen to also own each USN t10? No correlation there, I am sure.

2 hours ago, eliastion said:

I won't dispute other parts (especially before looking through the missions myself) but 100k captain XP is way easier to accumulate than 40k base XP - captain XP takes in ALL the XP bonuses AND ALL captain XP bonuses... With some signals (not even dragon one) and some camo you easily net 5-10k captain XP per battle. And it can be boosted more if you actually go premium, really special camos and full set of Dragon flags on a first win of the day - 20k+ captain XP battles, here we come :Smile-_tongue:

That being said, the rest of the things you said... seems like quite a sh*tfest of a campaign, especially with the national restrictions on top of all the rest. Wonder if I ever finish it.

I don't want to double post but I don't think I can add a quote with an edit?

Base exp was an error on my part. The mission requires 40k exp after modifiers, not base. MUCH easier than 100k capt exp. P sure I accidentally wrote base exp because of hurried typing.

• Cool 3

Players
2,371 posts
6,683 battles
47 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Frankly I think he does have a point. He's inaccurate concerning the details i.m.o. but so are you.

I never liked these missions where one has to jump through 3 hoops while destroying 3 modules while not outside a friendly cap but with >20knots while going in a straight line, but only when of the 3 previous battles you managed to get at least 5 kills but no more then 8 kill, but only max 3 kills due to fire damage in excess of 50% are counted for the duration of the mission.

• Funny 1

[IDDQD]
Players
1,746 posts
15,971 battles
28 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Or does everyone who thinks these missions are fine just happen to also own each USN t10? No correlation there, I am sure.

I dont understand what is problem there.

Its permanent, its free for everyone, with great rewards - only thing you need to do is play this game. For "endgame" US commander you need have high tier US ships, I see just logic there.

I see as your biggest problem that you will not have it in few days as you want.

• Cool 2

Players
2,371 posts
6,683 battles
25 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Again - for the third [edited]time - thinking these missions are outrageous and wanting to finish the whole thing in a week are not mutually exclusive. Is reading comprehension dead? is this community physically incapable of thinking beyond radical extremes?

In some way though, is it bad that this campaign would be more difficult then the Yamamoto one? Some are complex and I certainly hope missions such as that one will not get too commonplace (would be to the detriment of overall gameplay with people forgetting about the team and the win and focussing on their mission).

Concerning the missions, I'm glad there is at least a credit (Missouri :Smile_trollface:) and xp options. I dunno about the tier 10 requirements or some of the other missions. I didn't do all the Yamamoto missions either as some were a bit too grindy for too little reward for my taste (and I wanted to keep empty spaces in case there ever is another temporary campaign).

Players
577 posts
4,698 battles
3 minutes ago, Quetak said:

I dont understand what is problem there.

Its permanent, its free for everyone, with great rewards - only thing you need to do is play this game. For "endgame" US commander you need have high tier US ships, I see just logic there.

I see as your biggest problem that you will not have it in few days as you want.

Dead reading comprehension it is then. I shall try to use more monosyllabic words next time, sweetheart.

If you are honestly incapable of understanding what the actual problem with this campaign is, I am not going to be the one to explain it to you. I've already written up a text-wall doing so.

• Cool 1

[IDDQD]
Players
1,746 posts
15,971 battles

I understand you well.

Stars - you want more stars for some tasks -> easier to finish -> faster grind. (or easier tasks for stars given - its same)

Nation restriction - you dont play US ships and want best US commander, maybe you will be able to put him to other nation ship...or not?

Do you need that captain so fast when you dont have ships where he can sit?  

And 100k elite xp is quite comparable to 40k ship xp, maybe little more but not so much to write cry about.

[CATS]
Players
14,730 posts
10,882 battles
38 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Frankly I think he does have a point. He's inaccurate concerning the details i.m.o. but so are you.

I think I am pretty accurate about his post.

Getting first place sixtimes in cruisers or CV for three stars does not sound very complicated either. Yes, most people will not do it in a day. But that is not the intention of WG anyway.

• Boring 1

[-TXG-]
Players
2,376 posts
35 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Dead reading comprehension it is then. I shall try to use more monosyllabic words next time, sweetheart.

If you are honestly incapable of understanding what the actual problem with this campaign is, I am not going to be the one to explain it to you. I've already written up a text-wall doing so.

"Oh no, people disagree with me so I will act superior and insult their intelligence"  :Smile_sceptic: 

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
4,251 posts
6,795 battles
2 hours ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

the Hit Hard! Hit Fast! campaign is a joke. Whoever designed these missions is utterly divorced from reality. Before I elaborate further, yes I am fully aware that the campaign is permanent, yes I and everyone else has plenty of time to try to grind this out. But so was Yamamoto and that campaign wasn't nearly as restrictive and balls-to-the-wall luck based.

Same as in the Yamamotos campaign, you can get through all of it by jsut repeating the "get XP" and "get credits" missions :fish_palm:

100k captain exp again for a single star.

captain XP is easier to farm as it is ALL of your normal XP + all the modifiers applied to your base xp.

Nation restrictions.

Tbh your KM and IJN ships really don't need a US captain, do they?