Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fonfalks

Radar

233 comments in this topic

Players
383 posts
6,986 battles

Hi.

I would like to ask people who play top tier DDs a lot how do you deal with radars? For me i find that about 2/3 of my deaths come from radars. It has made game for me almost unplayable.  Sure i could just run around BBs and try to hit something with my guns from 14km, but if i try to actually be useful and try to cap bases or spot ships i just get RADAR notice and i die with few seconds. 

Worst is when you have CVs and radars, then its just really unplayable. And again, sure i could just play passive and camp, but what is the point in that? 

It seems to me that Radars and CVs have made DD game play in top tiers just horrible - what is the point of playing class that relies on stealth when so many abilities from so many players can remove it instantly and kill you very fast? 

• Cool 3

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles

There is actually a lot you can do:

- don't get into range of the enemy fleet until the radars have been spotted

- reverse into cap if you are confident that you can reach cover in case you are radared

- forget cap fighting and just focus on spotting for your team first and ping the radar cruisers

And of course, you never ever go into a match without making mental notes of the number and type of radars you are facing. Make sure you know them all, duration of radar included. Getting radared by surprise means you made a mistake, you forgot to check the minimap or didn't have the awareness to realize that a radar threat was close. Or you forgot to plan your escape in time. It all boils down to experience and gitting gud

EDIT: it seems like you are having problems with USN high tier DD's especially. Maybe you are trying to set up smoke to shoot? That is only viable in low tiers and in high tiers just screams 'free kill' to the enemy team

• Cool 7

[DAVY]
Players
2,643 posts
5 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

Hi.

I would like to ask people who play top tier DDs a lot how do you deal with radars? For me i find that about 2/3 of my deaths come from radars. It has made game for me almost unplayable.  Sure i could just run around BBs and try to hit something with my guns from 14km, but if i try to actually be useful and try to cap bases or spot ships i just get RADAR notice and i die with few seconds. 

Worst is when you have CVs and radars, then its just really unplayable. And again, sure i could just play passive and camp, but what is the point in that? 

It seems to me that Radars and CVs have made DD game play in top tiers just horrible - what is the point of playing class that relies on stealth when so many abilities from so many players can remove it instantly and kill you very fast? 

learn the radar distances of radar ships and avoid them...I have a list written down stuck to my PC for quick reference....distance and time active and cool down....damn useful

Players
383 posts
6,986 battles
3 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

There is actually a lot you can do:

- don't get into range of the enemy fleet until the radars have been spotted

- reverse into cap if you are confident that you can reach cover in case you are radared

- forget cap fighting and just focus on spotting for your team first and ping the radar cruisers

And of course, you never ever go into a match without making mental notes of the number and type of radars you are facing. Make sure you know them all, duration of radar included. Getting radared by surprise means you made a mistake, you forgot to check the minimap or didn't have the awareness to realize that a radar threat was close. Or you forgot to plan your escape in time. It all boils down to experience and gitting gud

Translation - sit and camp... yeah.

I think radar is utterly unbalanced and OP 

• Cool 8
  • Boring 3

Players
5,638 posts
16 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

And again, sure i could just play passive and camp, but what is the point in that? 

You have to find the right balance between attack and defense. Map awareness is a very important skill for DD players. You don't have to be the first guy in the cap zone. It could be better to kill the enemy DD first. Press F3 when you see enemy radar cruisers. Make pressure on cap zones but no attacks which would kill you.

DD gameplay is like grass in the wind:

"When the wind blows, the grass bends."

Bending is better than breaking. So don't wish for the impossible. If you can't enter a cap zone than wait. Your time will come.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,421 battles
7 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

Rubbish.. sure they are a challenge. in the same way Torpedoes are a challenge to BBs. Yes get in a match with 3+ radar ships it can be a major pain. Radar activates take evasive  monomers. Yes you could die but surviving is more than possible.

You can still be aggressive in a high tier DD. not least as you are a lot harder to hit than a BB/CA. Ive had many a game where I'm being fired on by 5+ ships they are not firing on  your Friends. Meanwhile these friends are firing on the enemy.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles
Just now, Fonfalks said:

Tell me what DD "sits" and "camps"? This is utter nonsense, you can always skirt the edge of concealment and radar range, scouting and screening for your team, launching torpedoes and being useful.

• Cool 2

Players
383 posts
6,986 battles
Just now, T0byJug said:

Rubbish.. sure they are a challenge. in the same way Torpedoes are a challenge to BBs. Yes get in a match with 3+ radar ships it can be a major pain. Radar activates take evasive  monomers. Yes you could die but surviving is more than possible.

You can still be aggressive in a high tier DD. not least as you are a lot harder to hit than a BB/CA. Ive had many a game where I'm being fired on by 5+ ships they are not firing on  your Freinds. Meanwhile they are firing on the enemy.

If you are being fired upon by 5 ships and do not die with 3 seconds you will die within 4 or those are drunken morons shooting at you. I die constant;y if i am being spotted by 1 cruiser supported by DD, it is well enough to kill any DD within 5 - 7 seconds and no amount of maneuvering will help. Radar is such a [edited]. 

[HEATH]
Players
177 posts
15,961 battles

U need to get familiar with the maps,  to know were to find cover even  if u are under radar, to know how many and what type of radars enemy team has.

Exemple: enemy has 1 Chapayev, tier VIII rusian cruiser,  he has the range of  the radar till 11,7 km. Knowing that just stay away from him at 12 km or more, u dont go closer. If u get under his radar, just to know the duration is 20 seconds- (u need to survive 20 seconds and u get undetected again, unless u fired your guns). 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Surveillance_Radar

[DAVY]
Players
2,643 posts
25 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

If you are being fired upon by 5 ships and do not die with 3 seconds you will die within 4 or those are drunken morons shooting at you. I die constant;y if i am being spotted by 1 cruiser supported by DD, it is well enough to kill any DD within 5 - 7 seconds and no amount of maneuvering will help. Radar is such a [edited]. 

amusing :Smile_Default: 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
20,370 posts
12,527 battles
38 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

You did not understand a word he wrote...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,421 battles
42 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

Well DDs make up about 22-25% of high tier ships brought to game. DD winrates for the last week are lower than BB and CV but higher than CA. DD average   damage is lower than the others (but thats normal), but DDs have the Highest Average XP so sorry People are making them work.  So maybe you just need to learn to adapt.

Looking at you profile you have had high tier IJN DDs since before the split. So looks to me as if you are just refusing to adapt you play stile to take in to account the changes that Radar has brought in. That is your fault.

image.thumb.png.591fdcb00a04244dee0c9bb1a9a75480.png

• Bad 1

[BOTZ]
Players
2,199 posts
13,300 battles
50 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

longest radar is 1 minute with solid reload....so no it is not sit and camp, it is more like:

- bait radar, enter range going backwards so you can egzit his rang fast

- bait radar while you are under cover (iceland)

- wait to see where is radar ship and go to other cap

- spot radar ship (you have larger spoting range agains all except minotaur, than it is his radar range) and make him "go away" under your friendly flotila bombardment

- in short it is LTP issue 

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,428 battles
52 minutes ago, Fonfalks said:

Colonel Kurtz spent time giving you sane and usable advice for a question you started a thread to ask.

Yet you reply like the total nipwit you are by saying a smart**s WOT answer that doesnt even apply to this game, it is impossible to camp in a destroyer.

Go back play your US DDs the way you know and get destroyed instead of starting threads just to whine.

• Cool 3

[KAKE]
Players
1,865 posts
4,297 battles

My highest tier DD is the Maass at T7 (well, and the Trollsashio at T8, but that's just a guilty pleasure), but that still puts me into matches with a fair amount of radar ships, so I have picked up a few tricks at least.

Personally, if the map layout is suited for it I will try to bait out the radar while giving them nothing to shoot at. If there's a nice spot where you can contest a cap while remaining behind land, you can make the enemy waste the radar charge. Or on maps that don't have cover inside the caps, sail along the cap circle so that you can just stray into it and then immediately out again and behind an island. Basically make them realize that someone's there so they trigger their radar, but don't give them time to line up the shot.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
1 hour ago, Fonfalks said:

DD's aren't that easy to hit, if you dodge unpredictably, while it can be very terminal being radared it's very helpful to know the radar ranges and durations and either have somewhere to hide until it's off or run the hell away from it to get out of range. Being radared doesn't have to be a death sentence. You will either learn how to cope or get killed.

Edit: Obviously shooting your guns doesn't help with getting back to stealth due to the 20 second gun bloom which means anyone inside your gun range with line of sight can see you without the radar so everyone can see you.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,638 battles
1 hour ago, Fonfalks said:

I would like to ask people who play top tier DDs a lot how do you deal with radars?

Keep at least 9...12km distance (depending on the radar ship) and whine in the voice chat till your division mates kill them :Smile_trollface: Works reasonably reliably

• Funny 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,643 posts
41 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

longest radar is 1 minute with solid reload....so no it is not sit and camp, it is more like:

- bait radar, enter range going backwards so you can egzit his rang fast

- bait radar while you are under cover (iceland)

- wait to see where is radar ship and go to other cap

- spot radar ship (you have larger spoting range agains all except minotaur, than it is his radar range) and make him "go away" under your friendly flotila bombardment

- in short it is LTP issue 

Obviously you do all this after you have torped your teams CV :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 6

[NWP]
Players
2,187 posts
14,031 battles

One way to learn how to deal with them: start playing radar ships as well.

• You'll learn the up- and downsides of radar;
  • You'll learn the good radar spots;
  • You'll get outplayed by enemy DDs;

All this will improve your knowledge about radars and will help you improve as well.

[BOTZ]
Players
2,199 posts
13,300 battles
On 5/30/2018 at 6:05 PM, bushwacker001 said:

Obviously you do all this after you have torped your teams CV :Smile_hiding:

hmmmmm.....after i topr my team cv i am dead and can not do all that stuff

On 5/30/2018 at 6:29 PM, 159Hunter said:

One way to learn how to deal with them: start playing radar ships as well.

• You'll learn the up- and downsides of radar;
  • You'll learn the good radar spots;
  • You'll get outplayed by enemy DDs;

All this will improve your knowledge about radars and will help you improve as well.

or.....wait for it.....you can go on forum and ask nerf for thing that kills you

Players
2,070 posts
10,952 battles

20180429_010616_PASD021-Fletcher-1943_25_sea_hope.wowsreplay

@Fonfalks you may wanna have a look at this replay on dealing with radar. in a DD. Only 1 radar ship, the DM, but I got radared at least twice and still survived till the end until I got a bit greedy with the last enemy ship:Smile_teethhappy: 

PS: I think there are plenty of good suggestions above. I try to play as like how rvfharrier has described. When in game I also take note of where the radar ships are and which ship they are when they're spotted. If its a Russian CA, I know I can't get too close to the area. If its USN I have more leeway. Making use of islands is good as well. So what if they radar you. Just because they can see you doesn't necessary mean they can shoot you ;) (see last part of the video. That DM radared me and I just sat there, wait for radar to be gone and sank it (or was it that BB that sank it?). Well in any case I outplayed a DM who knew I was there already so :Smile_teethhappy:)

[ANV]
Players
409 posts
7,528 battles
3 hours ago, Fonfalks said:

Hi.

It's difficult...

One thing I learned from watching King of the Seas - reverse into a cap so that you can flee instantly in the *right* direction (away from the cap): saves your arse so, so, so often - *most/many* radar users will radar when their radar range covers the cap area itself entirely - so moving just outside of the cap often puts you just outside of radar range.

And, as others have said, know which ships have radar, how long they last, their range and cool-down.  - you can use a side-bar info mod from Aslains that will give these stats "live" if you don't want to learn them by heart or have to refer to off-game sheets.  (Also includes speed, spotting distances, gun range and reload times if you wish).

There's also another Mod that tells you if you were detected by what (radar/hydro, ship or plane) that can be useful in conjunction with other things.

The bigger problem is playing ranked where the "team" doesn't know what to do or how to support the DDs in which case you are on your own and it becomes very hard... other than hiding in the shadow of islands and so forth.

I've seen other DD players deliberately bating radar ships into using their radar - deliberately re-entering a cap to be radar'd again and re-flee... until the radar usages are gone in the first 10 mins or so. Bear in mind that when using radar the *team* in ranked often does sod-all about it and never even bothers to shoot at the revealed ship/DD ... so again the vagaries of ranked team-play or the absence of it, can dramatically affect how a game turns out. 

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
4 hours ago, Fonfalks said:

...It seems to me that Radars and CVs have made DD game play in top tiers just horrible...

Wait until the US light cruisers come out and lots of players are grinding them.  :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CU]
Players
327 posts
3,564 battles
7 hours ago, Fonfalks said:

I have to disagree with you, I very very rarely die to the first radar that hits, I might take damage but if I die, I was out of position and it takes a lot longer than 4 seconds to die. As others have said, check the team list before you enter, know which ships have radar and which have hydro, their duration and the distance it reaches. Hell even learn which hull has radar, if I see a Chapayev with the A hull, I don't worry. Don't go to wide open caps if you don't have support, if there's an island in the middle, hug it like your grandma, they might see you but if they can't hit you, you only need to survive 20ish seconds before it goes.

It took me a while to gt used to it, but you learn to adapt.....or come whinging on the forums, whichever floats your boat.

Sign in to follow this