Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hannibalurg

The Lion, IFHS or no?

53 comments in this topic

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts

So my big question is if it is worth using IFHS (Inertia Fuse with HE Shells) on the Lion? Or is it useless because of the high caliber?

Any thoughts or experiences?

Players
2,831 posts
20,057 battles
1 minute ago, Hannibalurg said:

Or is it is useless because of the high caliber? !

FTFY

also this question shows you dont know enough about game mechanics and armor distribution else you wouldnt ask.
i recomend you spending some time on the wiki

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[ONE2]
Players
3,114 posts
23,114 battles

WOOT?!:cap_wander_2: It has always been my impression that IFHE for any Battleship is going to be pointless.:Smile_amazed: But then again, I could be wrong I guess. :cap_old:

You see, as far as I can tell - You should actually be firing AP most of the time... :cap_hmm:

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles
1 minute ago, RAHJAILARI said:

WOOT?!:cap_wander_2: It has always been my impression that IFHE for any Battleship is going to be pointless.:Smile_amazed: But then again, I could be wrong I guess. :cap_old:

only for secondarie spec

[ONE2]
Players
3,114 posts
23,114 battles
Just now, 15JG52Adler said:

only for secondarie spec

Oh yeah, you're right that could work - Kinda. But still does not seem like it would give much benefit when comparing to AFT, for example...:cap_hmm:

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,192 posts
11,284 battles

IFHE only works for secondary guns in BBs.. alas, it is good for secondary spec.. like german BBs.. or they say!

I've watched a video on youtube, secondary specced GK with IFHE...

40K damage just from secondaries around half a min to a close quarters broadside yamato

including some fire though!

Players
2,831 posts
20,057 battles

on a sidenote :

skilling IFHE for a secondarie build is SO WRONG!
unless you just wanna troll YOLO into the enemy team (which basically means you want to lose) just to get your secondaries off, that build is just an terrible idea.

the point of a secondarie build is not to just YOLO, so it benefits WAY more from other skills you can get for the 4pts

• Bad 2

Players
1,678 posts
13,792 battles
3 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

IFHE only works for secondary guns in BBs.. alas, it is good for secondary spec.. like german BBs.. or they say!

Wha? Is the wiki wrong then? "Increases the armor penetration of HE shells fired from both main and secondary battery guns"

That should lead us to 136mm armor pen on GK main artillery (420mm). Ofc the secondaries become quite hilarious but tbh that build works best in coop, not in randoms.

Players
1,567 posts
10,292 battles

Take it, you cant go wrong. Your fire chance is already huge.

Cheers

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DMOK]
[DMOK]
Players
506 posts
30,975 battles

I can invite you in Train room and show you my Ifhe Gk i can kill a Iowa in the time of 2 salvos of my 420 mm  with ifhe 2nds . So for the Gk it is good  128mm/4=32mm-1mm  31 mm Penrate now ifhe to it and you pen 40mm thats any deck or bow or armor belt from the most BBs. But for the Lion Ifhe is totaly Wrong i would spec him 100% for AA that thing is a beast with AA .

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,192 posts
11,284 battles
1 minute ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

Wha? Is the wiki wrong then? "Increases the armor penetration of HE shells fired from both main and secondary battery guns"

That should lead us to 136mm armor pen on GK main artillery (420mm). Ofc the secondaries become quite hilarious but tbh that build works best in coop, not in randoms.

nope wiki is not wrong,

but the pen increase on BB main guns, does not make you pen any armor with HE which you cannot pen before picking the skill..

[DMOK]
[DMOK]
Players
506 posts
30,975 battles

or the math  419/4 =104.75 so you pen 103 mm if you ad ifhe to it you pen133.9 means you pen 132-133 . Now look up the Armor sheets from ships and tell me which armor you can pen now which you couldnt pen before .

Players
1,678 posts
13,792 battles

There certainly are a few sections that become penetrable after picking the skill. Your pen goes up from 105 to 136 after all (GK with 420mm)

They are just way less important thresholds than the 32mm bow/aft armor mark :>

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
243 posts
8,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Drake847 said:

or the math  419/4 =104.75 so you pen 103 mm if you ad ifhe to it you pen133.9 means you pen 132-133 . Now look up the Armor sheets from ships and tell me which armor you can pen now which you couldnt pen before .

You might pen stuff that you shouldn't be shooting with HE anyway.

[ONE2]
Players
3,114 posts
23,114 battles
3 minutes ago, Turnipsi said:

You might pen stuff that you shouldn't be shooting with HE anyway.

Oooh yeah, forgot that one...:Smile_amazed: For the dedicated HE spammer, who NEVER wants to use AP anyway...:cap_old:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,246 battles
8 minutes ago, deadly_if_swallowed said:

It's not that it doesn't increase penetration of main gun HE - it's that the increase doesn't really matter because it doesn't pass any important armor thresholds. This is the most important aspect of IFHE on every ship: are there relevant armor thresholds that it will let me pen? If it doesn't, the result is that you don't really get to pen (significantly) more things than you would without it.

Players
1,678 posts
13,792 battles
4 minutes ago, eliastion said:

It's not that it doesn't increase penetration of main gun HE - it's that the increase doesn't really matter because it doesn't pass any important armor thresholds. This is the most important aspect of IFHE on every ship: are there relevant armor thresholds that it will let me pen? If it doesn't, the result is that you don't really get to pen (significantly) more things than you would without it.

True. It's just the statement "IFHE doesn't work on BB main guns" that I was uncomfortable with. The skill works perfectly fine; your pen goes up. Matching important thresholds or being worth spending 4 captain points is a different story.

[DMOK]
[DMOK]
Players
506 posts
30,975 battles

But as said before a GK with Ifhe is ok cause his 128mm 2nds shoot at 11.7 with a reload of 2.9 secs . or in other words from 120 k dmg you can do 45 k just with the 2nds . And if you play him right  and dont yolo charge in the beginning this is a lot of dmg (or money). And of course Ifhe Gk are a not wanted cause if you meet one in late game in a 1 vs1 Sit your screwed .

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,749 posts
13,111 battles
32 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

So my big question is if it is worth using IFHS (Inertia Fuse with HE Shells) on the Lion? Or is it useless because of the high caliber?

Any thoughts or experiences?

IFHE for main guns of BB can be usefull only if you plan to citadel CA with HE.  And this is better than using AP only in case the CA is at close range and angled and do not have spaced armor / torpedo bulge.

So generally speaking no the IFHE is not usefull for Lion

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
45 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

So my big question is if it is worth using IFHS (Inertia Fuse with HE Shells) on the Lion?

Answer is simple:

LOmCjl8.png

If you want to take IFHE on a BB don't forget that great skills to take with it are:

• Survivability Expert
    • More HP = better, right?
  • Expert Loader
    • Only the normal variety, because changing your shell type so quickly that enemy DD will manage to appear and disappear 3 times is gud
  • Emergency Takeoff
    • So you can launch your fighter / spotter while you're on fire
  • Air Supremacy
    • Have plane squad with 2 planes in the air not just 1
  • Smoke Screen Expert
    • When you use that DD smoke you want it to be bigger so it covers your ship properly
  • Expert Rear Gunner
    • Make your rear turrets better
      • Sadly enough doesn't affect Nelson, Izumo, Dunkerque and Richellieu as they have only front mounted turrets
  • Incoming Fire Alert
    • Nice to know when someone's shooting at you
      • If you commit to rather typical BB playstyle this will let you know of EVERYONE who's shooting you
  • Evasive Maneuver
    • You have a plane, why not buff it?
  • Last Stand
    • We all know how annoying it is to get your engine & rudder knocked out
  • RPF
    • That DD isn't going to locate himself, is he?

Feel free to try those, just be so kind and never end up on my team :cap_like:

32 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

skilling IFHE for a secondarie build is SO WRONG!

GK with IFHE can penetrate everything that's up to and slightly above armour as a Montana. Without it - even 32mm of Republic / Conq is too thick

25 minutes ago, Drake847 said:

or the math  419/4 =104.75 so you pen 103 mm

419/4 = 104.75 ≈ 105 so you pen 104mm. It's normal rounding there :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 8

[DMOK]
[DMOK]
Players
506 posts
30,975 battles

shot-18_05.30_11_48.38-0096.thumb.jpg.261a99c8fb10fc94b19c90f6e0a412b2.jpgshot-18_05.30_11_49.09-0672.thumb.jpg.4cfbe8533b5859aa20a29264318fb1c1.jpgJust did a match with my Ifhe GK  Observe the pics . Thats argument enough . BUT FOR LION AND THE MAIN BATTERY IFHE IS NONSENSE .Rather skill for full AA build or tank build for the Lion .

shot-18_05.30_11_37.53-0670.thumb.jpg.a2db0173509447f553c464e6cd78a00d.jpgshot-18_05.30_11_37.47-0129.thumb.jpg.079412ca0bf54c33b4329e969875bec5.jpgshot-18_05.30_11_37.43-0545.thumb.jpg.bf448ec9028ba9c195f582abdca2cd4e.jpgshot-18_05.30_11_37.40-0035.thumb.jpg.93aab642ad44dd3343e38f179145c3e5.jpg

Players
10,214 posts
11,991 battles
1 hour ago, Drake847 said:

Cleveland, Nope Orlean and I think upcoming Seattle and Worcester have 127mm main belt.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,842 posts
11,408 battles
2 hours ago, Drake847 said:

or the math  419/4 =104.75 so you pen 103 mm

104 mm :fish_glass:

//edit

Nevermind, @wilkatis_LV already mentioned it.

Players
2,831 posts
20,057 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

GK with IFHE can penetrate everything that's up to and slightly above armour as a Montana. Without it - even 32mm of Republic / Conq is too thick

the thing is thats irrrelevant to the game 90% of the time played and in thoise 90% another skill(s) would have made more impact.

(hell even if it has impact the question is would it change the outcome of whatever is going down  which is most likely  50% or less if were generous)

that means effectively  its irrelevant even in 95% of the time played.

ofc  now and then its a boost to your dmg number which,  if you fail to change the outcome of a situation, is largely irrelevant....

so the only legitimate IFHE build is  for trolling knowing you play suboptimally 
but the majority is potaoes thinking they have a super build cause they have no actual clue 

Sign in to follow this