Muki321

Tier X ship for ranked?

9 comments in this topic

[DDGR]
Players
38 posts
7,682 battles

Hello fellow captains,

this is my first post so hope this is the right place for it :)

I have finally saved enough free XP and cash to unlock one tier X ship, which I would like to use for my next season ranked, and hopefully reaching rank 1 (currently at rank 10 mostly achieved through Benson and NC),

I have option to pick one from the below:

- Gearing DD

- Montana BB

- Zao CA

- Minotaur CL

Since I really hated the Neptune, mostly due to its low maneuverability and very high situational gameplay, I really doubt I would enjoy Minotaur since I assume the gameplay is very similar (hate that smoke that provides fake safety  and which gets you instant deleted once positioned and started shooting due to radar or just simply by others seeing your actual position from the constantly shooting gun arcs...)

I really enjoyed Mogami, due to its maneuverability and very good damage potential of both AP and HE. I really dislike the fact that Zao loses 2sk range on torpedoes... on the other hand side I have bad experiences with cruisers in ranked (have played Edinburgh and New Orleans but with current meta there re just too many bbs in ranked which makes it very difficult to play cruiser successfully...)

Montana seems good and gets the job done, but in general  BB play is kind of boring for me. I prefer more dynamic engagements, suitable for CL/As and DDs

Everybody praises Gearing as one of the most versatile DDs. Seems like he has the best potential for ranked, still not sure how much fun I will have compared to Benson outside of ranked

My heart goes to Zao, mind goes for Gearing/Montana.

What is your opinion?

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,761 posts
21,190 battles
5 hours ago, Muki321 said:

I have finally saved enough free XP and cash to unlock one tier X ship, which I would like to use for my next season ranked

Since you want it for the next season you should save your fXP. If you start playing the T9 now you will easily unlock the T10 before next season. We also don't know whether the next ranked season will have a T10 component.

And if you are serious about playing ranked in a T10, consider buying the premium camo, it will save you a lot of trouble with silver.

I have option to pick one from the below:

- Gearing DD

- Montana BB

- Zao CA

- Minotaur CL

My advice would be to play the Ibuki until you mastered the art of long range HE spam. And then when you unlocked Zao you can switch with little trouble. I have found that the IJN cruiser line, save for the 155mm Mogami variant, has a very consistent gameplay. If you can learn how to be a good flanker you can perform well in them.

Minotaur plays differently than Neptune, and I must say Neptune struggles in comparison. Gearing is solid, but in competitive modes it is inferior to the Yueyang and Z-52 (Radar and Hydro respectively).

[DDGR]
Players
38 posts
7,682 battles

Thanks for your answers.

I think I ll take your advice and will hold on to those free XP till I know which tiers will be included in the next season of ranked and  will work on those T9 in the meantime...

The Ibuki I was thinking of skipping since my credits are scarce and  I ve read/heard it is just a small move forward from the Mogami 203s so moving to Zao would maybe make more sense. I really liked the IJN line so far....

Minotaur plays differently to Neptune you say? in which way? My biggest problem with Neptune was the detection range (which to a certain degree I mitigated through captain skills and upgrades) and overall sluggishness of the ship which made it really hard to maneuver while in a smoke. Especially the slow start/break. And the smoke was more often a death trap for myself then really a competitive advantage I could utilize for my benefit...

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
4 hours ago, Muki321 said:

which I would like to use for my next season ranked

Each ranked season is played in a different tier, this season being partially played in tier 8 is the 1st time I can remember when 2 seasons in a row use the same tier of ships. So for all we know next season might be tier 5

I have finally saved enough free XP and cash to unlock one tier X ship

Why waste free XP? Just grind your way up and learn thsoe ships, you kinda need to do that if you hope to at least somewhat succeed in your t10s

- Gearing DD

- Montana BB

- Zao CA

- Minotaur CL

You pretty much don't play DDs and BBs, so those are immediately out of the question.

Mino isn't going to be an easy ship to play, most of the time Minos just throw ranked games instead of contributing towards the win, so that's out.

Leaves you only with Zao as a possibility

I really dislike the fact that Zao loses 2sk range on torpedoes...

You're not supposed to spam those torpedoes left right and center. It's a CA not a DD

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,761 posts
21,190 battles
2 hours ago, Muki321 said:

The Ibuki I was thinking of skipping since my credits are scarce and  I ve read/heard it is just a small move forward from the Mogami 203s so moving to Zao would maybe make more sense. I really liked the IJN line so far....

Thought so too, but the extra range makes a lot of difference. Also, your AA doesn't suck as much. Zao and Ibuki share one thing, the ability to shoot far targets with less risk of being just blapped with one salvo.

The torps on both are situational, for things like ruining pursuit, denying caps etc.

2 hours ago, Muki321 said:

Minotaur plays differently to Neptune you say? in which way? My biggest problem with Neptune was the detection range (which to a certain degree I mitigated through captain skills and upgrades) and overall sluggishness of the ship which made it really hard to maneuver while in a smoke. Especially the slow start/break. And the smoke was more often a death trap for myself then really a competitive advantage I could utilize for my benefit...

Minotaur is stealthier, for all it's improvements NepNep has a big [edited], so it can be spotted faster. Minotaur gains more than 1km in concealment and has a 50m smaller turning radius. The smoke fire detection drops to 5,4km, the same distance as EdinBRUH. Also, Minotaur can melt smaller ships with a fully upgraded 2,8s reload, compare this to the 4,4s on the NepNep. So you can do a lot more and faster in the Manlytaur.

[DDGR]
Players
38 posts
7,682 battles
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

Thought so too, but the extra range makes a lot of difference. Also, your AA doesn't suck as much. Zao and Ibuki share one thing, the ability to shoot far targets with less risk of being just blapped with one salvo.

Makes sense. Especially with additional range upgrade on the guns that give her up to 19km range...

Still, the question is weather it is worth the cost and grind...

1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

Minotaur is stealthier, for all it's improvements NepNep has a big [edited], so it can be spotted faster. Minotaur gains more than 1km in concealment and has a 50m smaller turning radius. The smoke fire detection drops to 5,4km, the same distance as EdinBRUH. Also, Minotaur can melt smaller ships with a fully upgraded 2,8s reload, compare this to the 4,4s on the NepNep. So you can do a lot more and faster in the Manlytaur.

with RN CLs everything after Fiji was a disappointment for me, I wonder if Minotaur could make a difference. In principle i don't mind having a fragile boat, but lacking so much in the maneuverability segment (Edin to a certain degree, Neptune massively) there is not much you can do to avoid instant deletion, but hide behind islands... I was also thinking of putting the range mod for guns, but these 152 AP are almost worthless at long ranges...

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,761 posts
21,190 battles
1 hour ago, Muki321 said:

Still, the question is weather it is worth the cost and grind...

You can find out by joining the Public Test server and grinding the line. It goes really fast and then you can play around with the ship.

I'd say that the Zao is the second best flanker among T10 cruiser after the Hindenburger. The HIV is a distant third.

1 hour ago, Muki321 said:

with RN CLs everything after Fiji was a disappointment for me, I wonder if Minotaur could make a difference. In principle i don't mind having a fragile boat, but lacking so much in the maneuverability segment (Edin to a certain degree, Neptune massively) there is not much you can do to avoid instant deletion, but hide behind islands... I was also thinking of putting the range mod for guns, but these 152 AP are almost worthless at long ranges...

You might want to check the ship out on the PT server, because it might not suit you based on what you wrote.

[HEROZ]
Players
49 posts
5,365 battles

I honestly feel that playing Mino in ranked is a mistake, especially if you lack tier 10 experience. Consider than Mino can get deleted in 1 salvo by any BB, and many cruisers. Already happened to me to send 7 cita in 1 salvo with my Hindenburg to a Mino. 

Sign in to follow this