Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu

Random Battle Game Mode Opt Out

Game Mode Opt Out  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you opt out of certain game modes if the option was available?

• I would opt out of playing the Standard game mode.
    • I would opt out of playing the Domination game mode.
    • I would opt out of playing the Epicenter game mode.
    • I would not opt out of any game mode.

25 comments in this topic

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,712 posts
14,220 battles

Imagine there was an option in game to opt out of one of the three Random Battle game modes so that you could avoid a particular game mode if you didn't enjoy it.

To clarify the 3 game modes;

Standard is the game mode where both teams control a single objective and capturing that objective immediately wins the game.

Domination is the game mode with multiple objectives that can be captured to acrue points and the first team to 1000 wins the game.

Epicentre is the game mode with the 3 overlapping, central objectives that can be captured to acrue points and the first team to 1000 wins the game.

More comprehensive explanations of the game modes can be found on the wiki.

I'm curious to see what people would do if the option did exist.

[LEGIO]
Players
149 posts

Get rid of epicenter, Worse mode ever. Hate that mode. Will EDIT.

Edited by Kampa1987
Promotion of rules violation
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,247 battles
17 minutes ago, Benser said:

Imagine there was an option in game to opt out of one of the three Random Battle game modes so that you could avoid a particular game mode if you didn't enjoy it.

To clarify the 3 game modes;

Standard is the game mode where both teams control a single objective and capturing that objective immediately wins the game.

Domination is the game mode with multiple objectives that can be captured to acrue points and the first team to 1000 wins the game.

Epicentre is the game mode with the 3 overlapping, central objectives that can be captured to acrue points and the first team to 1000 wins the game.

More comprehensive explanations of the game modes can be found on the wiki.

I'm curious to see what people would do if the option did exist.

The poll is faulty to the extreme, because it doesn't allow one to pick the option "it shouldn't exist" while also picking what mode they would opt-out of if it did.

These should be two separate questions:

1. Do you think it should exist

- yes

- no

- not sure/don't care

2. If it existed, what mode would you opt out of

- standard

- domination

- epicentre

- none

Then the poll would give you some results. As it stands now, you're asking two things in one question while providing only a subset of possible answers. The poll (along with any results it gives) is worthless.

• Cool 1

1,712 posts
14,220 battles
3 minutes ago, eliastion said:

The poll is faulty to the extreme, because it doesn't allow one to pick the option "it shouldn't exist" while also picking what mode they would opt-out of if it did.

These should be two separate questions:

1. Do you think it should exist

- yes

- no

- not sure/don't care

2. If it existed, what mode would you opt out of

- standard

- domination

- epicentre

- none

Then the poll would give you some results. As it stands now, you're asking two things in one question while providing only a subset of possible answers. The poll - and any results it gives - is worthless.

Option 5 is "it should not exist", that is almost the exact wording. Please re-read the poll.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,020 posts
13,520 battles

I'd opt out of Epicentre as I don't enjoy that game mode.  I must admit to have had some good game in that mode in a DD though.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,247 battles
4 minutes ago, Benser said:

Option 5 is "it should not exist", that is almost the exact wording. Please re-read the poll.

But if you pick "it should not exist", you can't pick waht map you'd choose if it did. Please re-read my post.

You've squeezed a second question into the one stated and that's precisely why the whole thing is a mess.

1,712 posts
14,220 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

But if you pick "it should not exist", you can't pick waht map you'd choose if it did. Please re-read my post.

Who would vote that the option should not exist and then vote which mode to opt out of, that is contradictory of their vote that it should not exist. Anyone who thinks the option shouldn't exist would not use it.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,247 battles
9 minutes ago, Benser said:

Who would vote that the option should not exist and then vote which mode to opt out of, that is contradictory of their vote that it should not exist. Anyone who thinks the option shouldn't exist would not use it.

Why is it contradictory?

I believe it shouldn't exist, but if it did, I would opt-out of Standard. Where is the contradiction?

I can give you more examples:

1. I don't think Radio Location should exist but I use it on some ships.

2. I don't believe certain AA-boosting skills should be in the game (because they make too big of a difference between AA build and non-AA build) but I use them too.

3. I don't appreciate a BB having Radar but I made sure to buy Missouri before she went out of shop

There's no contradiction between making use of some option and being convinced that existence of this option is bad for the game.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,247 battles

Oh, and @Benser, I just remembered one more thing you forgot - a bit less crucial but also important: you didn't include an option along the lines of "I would be changing my choice based on the ship picked and/or other temporary factors."

• Cool 1

1,712 posts
14,220 battles
Just now, eliastion said:

Why is it contradictory?

I believe it shouldn't exist, but if it did, I would opt-out of Standard. Where is the contradiction?

I can give you more examples:

1. I don't think Radio Location should exist but I use it on some ships.

2. I don't believe certain AA-boosting skills should be in the game (because they make too big of a difference between AA build and non-AA build) but I use them too.

3. I don't appreciate a BB having Radar but I made sure to buy Missouri before she went out of shop

There's no contradiction between making use of some option and being convinced that existence of this option is bad for the game.

If you vote that the option should not exist then assume that you get your wish, it is therefor not necessary to state which mode you would then opt out of. That information is perfectly suitable for what I actually want to learn from this poll.

1,712 posts
14,220 battles
Just now, eliastion said:

Oh, and @Benser, I just remembered one more thing you forgot - a bit less crucial but also important: you didn't include an option along the lines of "I would be changing my choice based on the ship picked and/or other temporary factors."

If you were the author of the poll perhaps you would understand why I have chosen the answers I have.

But if I'm forced to explain what I am interested in most from this poll then that will skew the outcome... must you so relentlessly criticise the polls design? No one who reads this thread now is going to give a crap about opting out of game modes because 7 of the first 9 posts are about the design of the answers!

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,247 battles
11 minutes ago, Benser said:

If you vote that the option should not exist then assume that you get your wish, it is therefor not necessary to state which mode you would then opt out of. That information is perfectly suitable for what I actually want to learn from this poll.

You won't learn sh*t because your poll is faulty.

Why not make a proper one and either ask only one question (what people would pick) or two (whether it should exist and what would they pick if it did)?

Instead you combine them and the results are polluted.

But if I'm forced to explain what I am interested in most from this poll then that will skew the outcome... must you so relentlessly criticise the polls design?

Yes. There are certain rules to how questionnaires should be constructed (to get reasonably reliable data) and your poll violates the principles, ensuring that the results are worthless.

No one who reads this thread now is going to give a crap about opting out of game modes because 7 of the first 9 posts are about the design of the answers!

Good, I hope this will make you create a decent poll next time, generating some useful results for everyone to see. This one is, unfortnately, not just a waste of time of anyone voting, but actually something that results in misinformation, since the faults in design make the results not just incomplete but inherently misleading.

If people realize this and not treat this poll seriously as a result, I'd consider this a positive outcome, because it will prevent them from being misinformed (and contributing to misinformation).

1,712 posts
14,220 battles
15 minutes ago, eliastion said:

You won't learn sh*t because your poll is faulty.

Why not make a proper one and either ask only one question (what people would pick) or two (whether it should exist and what would they pick if it did)?

Instead you combine them and the results are polluted.

Yes. There are certain rules to how questionnaires should be constructed (to get reasonably reliable data) and your poll violates the principles, ensuring that the results are worthless.

Good, I hope this will make you create a decent poll next time, generating some useful results for everyone to see. This one is, unfortnately, not just a waste of time of anyone voting, but actually something that results in misinformation, since the faults in design make the results not just incomplete but inherently misleading.

If people realize this and not treat this poll seriously as a result, I'd consider this a positive outcome, because it will prevent them from being misinformed (and contributing to misinformation).

Fine, I have edited the poll to only gather the information I actually care about.

You could have directly messaged me instead of wasting space in the thread.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,944 posts
19,673 battles

Any ship besides CV -> opt out of Standard Battles

CV -> doesn't really matter, but preferably Standard Battles

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,218 battles

Epicenter gets a lot of hate because of Tears of the Desert epicenter matches (for cruisers) in the past.

If you look past that it's not so bad at all and forces the teams to converge instead of lemming and die on one flank or make a useless push into enemy spawn. Most maps have a split design that forces ships in standard or domination battle to choose a side. This often goes terribly wrong with DD's all going one side, high tier BB's sailing towards the J line so the other flank has no cover, CV focusing one side and forgetting to defend the other etc. etc.

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles

Being allowed to opt out of game modes is a crap idea.

10 hours ago, Benser said:

Fine, I have edited the poll to only gather the information I actually care about.

You could have directly messaged me instead of wasting space in the thread.

Editing the poll is one of the best ways to destroy the data gathered.

Most of the space wasted is you arguing against perfectly reasonable arguments.

2 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

Epicenter gets a lot of hate because of Tears of the Desert epicenter matches (for cruisers) in the past.

If you look past that it's not so bad at all and forces the teams to converge instead of lemming and die on one flank or make a useless push into enemy spawn. Most maps have a split design that forces ships in standard or domination battle to choose a side. This often goes terribly wrong with DD's all going one side, high tier BB's sailing towards the J line so the other flank has no cover, CV focusing one side and forgetting to defend the other etc. etc.

I mostly like Epicentre. And the old Tears of the Cruisers map was hilarious in a stealthy DD, since I usually spent most of those matches circulating in the middle of the cap. Which I normally do in Epicentre with those DDs anyway, but on that map it was especially funny.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,353 posts
26,221 battles
11 hours ago, eliastion said:

Even your poll would be worthless bc it doesn't ask if its tuesday or saturday and whats the temperature outside :Smile_hiding:

Beta Tester
5,277 posts
21,546 battles

I hate Epeencenter Mode, but as strange as it sounds, I'm usually doing quite good on it... so no, I don't want it gone...

And no, I don't want players to be able to opt out of any battle mode. 'Cause if that option would be implemented, soon the people would start whining for certain maps to be removed.

And RNGesus only knows what they want to see removed next... CVs... DDs... Torpedoes... whatever...

Oh... there would be one option that I could live with... anyone opting out of standard and domination would get "Epeenmode on Ocean" instead... and everyone opting out of Epeencenter should have to play Standardmode on Ocean for at least five battles in a row...

[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,149 posts
29,352 battles

Standard Battles & Epicentre, not my favourite modes.

[TAYTO]
Players
830 posts
8,866 battles
12 hours ago, walter3kurtz said:

Epicentre gets a lot of hate because it's a fluster-cuck of crap, doesn't matter which map it is.

• Funny 1

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Interesting outcome of your poll so far OP. I voted for the "none at all" option, which, now, carries the majority of votes. I actually like all the different game modes so far. Though, even with the upgrade, I still think "tears of the deserted" souldn't have Epi. As a matter of fact I'd still vote for this abomination map to be get rid of this game all the way. And while you're at it: please restore the best map "ocean" WG. To "a very sinister place" for the island bangers. Ocean is the one and only true map in which only naval tactics count. It'd be a good riddance of the RN boats (never ever will call those sods a ship).

tl:dr Bring back Ocean NOW!

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts

I might opt out of standard mode if anything. Especially when playing a DD it leaves me not entirely sure what to do.

Since Atlanta and Perth rank among my favourite ships, epicentre is good fun, I just wish more maps had the mode so it wasn't always Trident.

[XTREM]
Players
1,037 posts
9,218 battles
11 hours ago, DB2212 said:

Epicentre gets a lot of hate because it's a fluster-cuck of crap, doesn't matter which map it is.

Well constructed arguments I now see your point. I will stop believing that epicenter is better than standard battle, which just promotes camping because defenders have the advantage.

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Not this again ...

Opting out of specific game modes shouldn't be an option, if only because it would be easy to abuse that to ensure getting favourable games in specific ships, such as always Standard Mode in Khabarovsk (no more bothering with caps against actual stealthy DDs) for example. And I won't even touch upon the issues this would create for the matchmaking!

If there is ANYTHING that requires change it's the maps to facilitate better gameplay for the different playstyles of ships for each different game mode.

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this