Sign in to follow this  
Cluid

wrong position every time

10 comments in this topic

Players
35 posts
278 battles

Good morning guys, I hope this post finds you all well and good.

I am slightly disabled in that I have RA in both hands and find it quite painful to play games with a lot of keystrokes in it, that is the reason I cant play World of Warcraft any more, so I thought I would try out this game again, but I am totally and utterly useless at it, I seem to be in the wrong position every single time and keep getting one-shotted nearly every single time, it really is that quick, Ive tried all the tactics on YT by not showing my side and zig zaging to make myself harder to  hit, but none of this seems to work, I played 6 games yesterday and every time boom game over in a matter of mins, this one guy was sat behind an island and wiping out whole teams with one shot, he just never missed, yet when I get a shot off my shells fall short or go to far or just one hits, every one of his shells were on target and he was wiping out everyone.

Ill keep trying and keep watching the videos but I am getting a bit frustrated with it all, thanks in advance for any help and advice guys

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,111 posts
14,890 battles

Be more patient. Do not rush in. Let the battle develop.

You need experience to know which positions are good and to read the battle correctly.

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
1,181 posts
24,558 battles

Yes, don't rush as Pete said above.  Besides, each ship has her own playstyle and it takes some getting used to.  Don't rush to get to higher tiers.  Warspite is a very efficient ship by the way for her tier.  Learn how to angle properly and when to close in.  Provide support for your team but also make sure you have their support too or else...

• Cool 2

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
415 posts
22,484 battles

You have barely passed 100 matches. It takes time to learn how to position correctly. You will hopefully learn as you go.
A quick tip since your somewhat new. Dont rush up the tiers even though you have unlocked the next one. Just play the current tier until your 100% comfortable at that tier.
If you do that, you avoid being overwhelmed later on :)

• Cool 4

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Another thing is - don't rush up the tiers. T6 isn't t8, so not going to say anything about that, but for you that Warspite is still well above anything else you have. Especially BBs, which you almost haven't touched. Take your time learning the basics, play different classes to see how they work & differ. Playing tier 3 & 4 cruisers and then jumping into a tier 6 BB won't end well, there are almost no similarities between those ships

And yes, as said before - don't rush, don't give your broadside.

Another thing - you have picked one of the worst lines to start with as a new player - RN CLs have quite a bit higher skill floor than most other ships. I do recommend going for some other cruisers to see how those work, leave RN for later

• Cool 2

Players
35 posts
278 battles

thank you very much for your advice and help guys

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Zig zagging won't help much against skilled enemy and especially multiple enemies firing at you.

You need to think ahead before going to somewhere.

Like how exposed you're to fire from different directions/multiple enemies?

Do you have screening against torpedo attacks?

Do you have cover to easily get into?

Preferably without showing side to heavy damage dealnig capable enemies.

And can you turn around there to start retreating if needed?

And this is what you need to start learning to better hit things:

Because of slow reload it's cruisers where you want to practise that.

Tier 4 cruisers have enough range to get to that 10 second shell flight time area and protected match making facing only Tier 5.

When you can start hitting reasonably well broadside showing battleships from distance of 10s shell flight time and cruisers to near same that's good time to start practising battleships.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Players
1,267 posts
16,417 battles

@Cluid: Part of what you describe is people taking shots at you from unpredicted angles. Especially the diamond shaped maps are difficult because they widen around the cap points. Enemy ships will be in angles of around -45° to 45° in front of you or even more, so angling towards one enemy opens up your flank to another enemy. Normally they are busy fighting your teammates across the map. But then somehow you get their attention. Maybe a gap between some islands just opened up as you sailed forward, giving your broadside to a big higher tiered Battleship who's AP-Salvo has just reloaded. Maybe someone on your team just laid smoke for your half team to hide and without knowing it you now are one of the few visible targets.

So before you are detected the first time, you should look at the map, asking yourself where the enemy ships will show up and from what different angles they can shoot at you. One possible way is to be at a flank yourself, so the angle of possible shots gets smaller and you can angle yourself towards most enemies. Another possibility is islands covering you to one side, so you can angle to the other side, where the remaining enemies are. And finally, not always but sometimes, what they can do, you can do. If an enemy is at a flanking position to your ship, you possibly are in a flanking position to his ship. If you are aware of this before he is, you can probably land some citadel hits before he ever gets into the game. And what could be nicer than not getting hit by another player because you got him first?

2 hours ago, EsaTuunanen said:

Zig zagging won't help much against skilled enemy and especially multiple enemies firing at you.

EsaTuunanen is right here. Let me add this: Many people are zig zagging, when you actually are supposed to zig zag zag zig zag zig zig, meaning they are too pretictable in their evasive pattern. Sometimes I look at a destroyer and I just know where he is maneuvering. Like with certain cruisers. They don't wanna rotate their turrets 270°, so you know they will be coming back to the same angle or you see the island they will run into long before they do.

• Cool 3

[AAO]
Beta Tester
118 posts
4,956 battles

100 ish games isn't that much. Took me around 500-1k games to get the hang of it. Watching guides helps, but It really depends on who do you watch or is the guide really helpful. And ofc it's mostly about you wanting to improve! The task to learn this game can be taunting at first, but compared to something like wow it's childs play. I would also suggest to maybe get a friend or something taht already plays the game to literally coach you. I have done that to my friend and it really makes them improve, because I can instantly tell them what they are doing wrong and correct it. When you get told something again and again it sticks into the back of your mind.

Players
2,670 posts
21,581 battles

Maybe buy a Yubari.

It does not have a lot of guns but they are basically the most accurate ones in the game, and I could be wrong, but it feels like having shells go where I actually aimed them really helped my aim.

It is a very fragile ship though, you will still have to pay a lot of attention to positioning and movement. I'm afraid there is not really any getting around that. These are just other skills you need to learn.

In the end, you just have to play a lot to improve your aim.

The other thing that helps with that, especially when you're in a battleship, is trying to choose the easy shots instead of obstinately trying to land the hard ones, like targets kiting away at an oblique angle and dodging.

The easiest shot of all is on a static target, and the second-easiest is on one that is sailing in a straight line, broadside on.

These don't happen very often. But the third-easiest ones do:

It is when a player is basically in mid-turn and at least fairly broadside-on.

With just a bit of practice, this shot is easy because it is easy to anticipate how the manoeuvre will play out, and also the start of the manoeuvre is easy to recognize. You see them start the turn - you wait just a bit until they are really committed to the turn - then aim the shells so as to let them sail right into the volley. Since the rudder takes time to shift, once they're committed to the turn, there is no way to make any drastic course changes. That's how it works, by and large.

Riple fire can help because it allows you to "spread" the landing zone of the shells a bit along the anticipated course of the target, in case you're not sure about the exact amount of lead. (Also, if it turns out you were fairly right about the amount of lead, it can be a nice, sadistic way of increasing and releasing the panic in the target before that second or third pen that finally takes its health all the way down...)

All of this of course involves a degree of anticipation and situational awareness and thinking and empathy, you need to look at the targets on the minimap and put yourself in their shoes and consider what they might want to do and where they might therefore be going next.

Some Scenario operations, like Aegis, make good target practice since the bots at least initially move in a fairly predictable pattern, which removes an element of difficulty, allowing you to concentrate on practicing your aim.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this