You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PoolSnoopy

Most retarded ranked season ever!

25 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
5,373 battles

Never before has playing the objective been punished so hard like in this season. Playing DD is so frustrating that you really wonder what WG was thinking when they designed XP calculation. I'm not talking about the winning team: in their case playing the objective might have payed off, because the DDs where better supported by the rest of the team. But on the losing side it's almost impossible to keep a star if you play DD. The ones who get to keep a star on the losing team are damage farming campers. And that's what dictates the behaviour of the players because everyone is eager to be on the safe side in the case his team loses. And that's why this season was way more depressing and frustrating than any other season before.

WG: fix the f*cking XP!

• Cool 6

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I've got R1 3 times in DDs but I switched to Monty this season. I agree with you except I'm not as salty.

Damage farming is too strong in BBs. You can even do disgusting things like letting your team collapse faster if you know you have a points lead so you'll definitely finish top... :Smile_hiding:

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

I've got R1 3 times in DDs but I switched to Monty this season. I agree with you except I'm not as salty.

Damage farming is too strong in BBs. You can even do disgusting things like letting your team collapse faster if you know you have a points lead so you'll definitely finish top... :Smile_hiding:

If I were cynical, I'd say it's easy not being as salty about DDs getting screwed over when you yourself play BBs...

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
4 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

If I were cynical, I'd say it's easy not being as salty about DDs getting screwed over when you yourself play BBs...

I'd agree too which is why I changed to BB.

If a DD throws you can still farm but if a BB plays badly then it's going to be hard to kill anything or make progress.

Collapsing teams affect BBs least in Ranked and you can even doctor it if you don't trust your team can turn it around by withdrawing and farming from distance.

It's a revolting tactic but some teams don't deserve any better and WG have engineered this by the star farming mechanic.

Players
8 posts
5,373 battles

Yeah, I also switched to BB and tried to play like a selfish *ssh*le. And yes it works way better than playing DD. But is this what we want ranked to be?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
4 minutes ago, PoolSnoopy said:

Yeah, I also switched to BB and tried to play like a selfish *ssh*le. And yes it works way better than playing DD. But is this what we want ranked to be?

I guess we can add it to the list of things of "Is this what we want WoWS to be?" There are already so many things on it...

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
15 minutes ago, PoolSnoopy said:

No but I'll have a Black in a few weeks and I'm well and truly done with Ranked.

Selfish yes but WG seem not to mind this.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, Negativvv said:

No but I'll have a Black in a few weeks and I'm well and truly done with Ranked.

Congrats.

I wish I had a Flint.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
11 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Congrats.

I wish I had a Flint.

Meh I've got a Flint and I've barely played it... 

It's basically a worse Belfast but with better AA and torps.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, Negativvv said:

I have the Atlanta. I like it a lot. I want a Flint. Giving up the radar hurts, but after I saw what one can do with 4.5 km torpedoes, getting torpedoes with actually decent range...

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

I have the Atlanta. I like it a lot. I want a Flint. Giving up the radar hurts, but after I saw what one can do with 4.5 km torpedoes, getting torpedoes with actually decent range...

Yeah 9.2km torps are sweet and you have excellent AA too so can stack with dirty Kaga players :cap_rambo:

I'm looking forward to the broken mess that is the Black. Basically a Fletcher with radar AND smoke. WG smoke the best stuff :cap_like:

• Funny 2

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Yeah 9.2km torps are sweet and you have excellent AA too so can stack with dirty Kaga players :cap_rambo:

I'm looking forward to the broken mess that is the Black. Basically a Fletcher with radar AND smoke. WG smoke the best stuff :cap_like:

Yeah, because such combo wasn't already retarded on the Belfast.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
14 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Yeah, because such combo wasn't already retarded on the Belfast.

Better with Black as it's a tiny DD with naturally decent concealment.

I'm licking my lips at the Div potential with her...

But yeah WG and their games.

Players
3,081 posts
17,441 battles
40 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Dont know if I agree on that, it has torpedoes which is the Belfasts achilles heel

Try it in the tier 7 scenarios with alot of planes swanning around. It is disgusting.

55 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Same here. 

Ranked is getting more awful with each passing season and the rewards apart from the Flint and Black are not worth playing for.

I did play BBs but have abandoned them to go back to DDs and now have a 60+% winrate in the Gearing in the R2-R5 bracket. Guess the opposition has gotten bad. I just cant bring myself to not play the objectives and farm stars, so might aswell play a carry ship.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Dont know if I agree on that, it has torpedoes which is the Belfasts achilles heel

Try it in the tier 7 scenarios with alot of planes swanning around. It is disgusting.

Same here. 

Ranked is getting more awful with each passing season and the rewards apart from the Flint and Black are not worth playing for.

I did play BBs but have abandoned them to go back to DDs and now have a 60+% winrate in the Gearing in the R2-R5 bracket. Guess the opposition has gotten bad. I just cant bring myself to not play the objectives and farm stars, so might aswell play a carry ship.

Flint is strong but I just don't enjoy playing it that much...

The folk left in Ranked are appalling so I could probably have used Yue Yang again but star farming saves you time. If I didn't switch to Monty I'd still be playing now. BBs have huge amounts of HP and are accurate at T10 so I feel the metal shifts in their favour.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles
6 hours ago, Negativvv said:

You can even do disgusting things like letting your team collapse faster

The level of pure modernist poetry in this clan is for real.

:)

• Funny 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles
6 hours ago, PoolSnoopy said:

Probably not what we want Ranked to be, but surely the Ranked we deserve.

• Funny 1

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,627 posts
13,409 battles
8 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Collapsing teams affect BBs least in Ranked and you can even doctor it if you don't trust your team can turn it around by withdrawing and farming from distance.

Even worse, what you often see when that last BB is still alive, is that all the enemy goes berzerk to go for that last kill, with everyone opening up, knowing that loss is impossible. Even DDs shooting it in the open. If the BB can blap that DD or a cruiser for half his health, that's vasts amounts of XP offered on a plate.

I said it once or twice, "team leave that idiot BB alone in the middle of nowhere and just count down or we might give him his star", but it is no avail.

Some things about this game are beyond depressing when you come to think about it :Smile_sad:

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
2 minutes ago, PzychoPanzer said:

Even worse, what you often see when that last BB is still alive, is that all the enemy goes berzerk to go for that last kill, with everyone opening up, knowing that loss is impossible. Even DDs shooting it in the open. If the BB can blap that DD or a cruiser for half his health, that's vasts amounts of XP offered on a plate.

I said it once or twice, "team leave that idiot BB alone in the middle of nowhere and just count down or we might give him his star", but it is no avail.

Some things about this game are beyond depressing when you come to think about it :Smile_sad:

Yeah totally, it's awful and I admit to doing it as the teamplay in Ranked so so bad that sometimes the only thing you can do is play for your own star.

Angle away, and watch the other team trying to chase you down often results in huge damage yeah. Someone else I know even considers suiciding as a BB if they know they're on top for points as it collapses the team faster but personally I just stayed alive to farm but ensured I didn't contest caps so whatever resistance was left would fold quickly. 

I mean I love playing DDs and all but I felt that this season of Ranked belonged to the Monty...

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles

Roles are reversed at high tier, you shouldn't be trying to cap as a destroyer unless up against all long range snipers.

Spotting is still the most powerful mechanic though, stay alive and provide those BBs with info.

Players
130 posts
6,509 battles

+1 for OP, I felt that XP rewards where really off.

Played only cruisers as I own only Zao & H4 at T10.

When playing for the win (close support for dds, caping, busting radar CA) I got:

- Negative earning

- Bad XP (and loss of rank if the team lost)

When playing camp & spam:

- Huge earnings

- Great XP (and no rank loss)

BtW, H4 was not suited at all for ranked for me and compared really poorly to Zao because applying your weak DPM when you are easy to spot doesn't lead to huge damage numbers in this format. Might be me though.

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
27 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Roles are reversed at high tier, you shouldn't be trying to cap as a destroyer. Spotting is still the most powerful mechanic

So, did they buff spotting xp rewards in return for nerfing cap xp? :Smile_trollface:

[CAIN]
Players
4,648 posts
19,740 battles

The major problem is the fact that the top scorer on the losing team keeps a star.

The 'meta' in ranked for the majority of potatoes is to play for the star, not for the victory.

One of the last TVIII games i had is a prime example of all the things wrong with ranked.

We had two BBs left, one nearly full HP the other half, the enemy team had also two BBs left which both had half HP left.

We could have won this if our BBs would have played it smart. Our full HP Bismarck however wasn't interested in winning, so he rammed one of the enemy BBs and commented 'at least i keep my star'. 

Well, the only solution is to remove this stupid 'keep your star mechanic' and have people actually work for the victory, not for the star.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
29 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

The major problem is the fact that the top scorer on the losing team keeps a star.

The 'meta' in ranked for the majority of potatoes is to play for the star, not for the victory.

One of the last TVIII games i had is a prime example of all the things wrong with ranked.

We had two BBs left, one nearly full HP the other half, the enemy team had also two BBs left which both had half HP left.

We could have won this if our BBs would have played it smart. Our full HP Bismarck however wasn't interested in winning, so he rammed one of the enemy BBs and commented 'at least i keep my star'. 

Well, the only solution is to remove this stupid 'keep your star mechanic' and have people actually work for the victory, not for the star.

Firstly - don't rely on bbs to play smart.

Secondly - The retain star system isn't that bad, I think I heard it was implemented on suggestion from the community and the major issue imo it's too transparent how to save the star - do damage. Stay alive and do damage, regardless of objectives. I think it would be better to look at the XP system and adjust it before removing the 'retain star' mechanic. WG is often accused of throwing the baby out of the water/hammer small issues out, I don't think they should be too hasty in removing the mechanic because of how the meta developed this season. Not penalizing the best player in the losing team still is a good idea imo.

[CAIN]
Players
4,648 posts
19,740 battles
47 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Firstly - don't rely on bbs to play smart.

Secondly - The retain star system isn't that bad, I think I heard it was implemented on suggestion from the community and the major issue imo it's too transparent how to save the star - do damage. Stay alive and do damage, regardless of objectives. I think it would be better to look at the XP system and adjust it before removing the 'retain star' mechanic. WG is often accused of throwing the baby out of the water/hammer small issues out, I don't think they should be too hasty in removing the mechanic because of how the meta developed this season. Not penalizing the best player in the losing team still is a good idea imo.

No amount of fixing the XP rewards for playing the objective - which will affect randoms too btw - will make players play the objective.

As long as the keep-a-star mechanic is in the game, most potatoes will play for their star.

And most of the players who keep the star do not deserve it.

And you are right, you can't rely on BBs - or any random teammate.

That's why WG has to railroad them and in ranked the only way to make players play the objective and try to win is, when there's no safety net which campers can use and rely on when not playing the objective.

This mechanic is stupid, it makes players play selfish and is one of the reasons ranked is a $hitshow.

It needs to go. Fast.