Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hannibalurg

Destroy Secoundary Battery?

14 comments in this topic

[-5D-]
Beta Tester
899 posts

Considering the large amount of german battleships in the game, what is the most effective way to destroy secoundary battereries (not counting AA)?

I figure it will be easier to deal with the germans if you can shave off a good chunk of their secoundaries. 

Thoughts, suggestions?

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,724 posts
21,077 battles
14 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

Considering the large amount of german battleships in the game, what is the most effective way to destroy secoundary battereries (not counting AA)?

I figure it will be easier to deal with the germans if you can shave off a good chunk of their secoundaries. 

Thoughts, suggestions?

Royal Navy sAP rounds. They really go through the secondary battery of every ship. When I play them I constantly see secondary battery/AA mounts notifications when hitting BBs/Cruisers.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

Thoughts, suggestions?

As a DD, forget it. As a cruiser or BB, AP shells hitting them. As a carrier, pretty sure you can just pray to RNG to let bombs hit them.

Overall though, secondaries are rather small turrets, secondary specced Germans often run AAM 1 so they have extra health and if you hit, you knocked out like one mount of how many, while doing no damage to the ship, as the module ate it. Will the enemy BB become less threatening after you hit their secondaries? Not really by much. All decent BBs do way more damage with main battery than secondaries. Even secondary monsters like Bismarck. Secondaries kind of get overrated there and you are far better off trying to destroy a main battery turret, which is easier to hit and has a larger impact on performance. Or you just kill the ship, which also makes the secondary spam stop.

Lastly, if you really don't like getting spammed by secondaries, Gneisenau only has a reach of 8 km max, Bismarck has max of 11.3 km, FdG has 11.5 km and I think Kurfürst is also around that, so staying 9 km or 12 km away from them will make the secondaries stop shooting.

Just to point out how pointless destroying a Bismarck secondary turret is, assuming you hit a 15 cm twin turret, you took out 1/6 of the large caliber secondaries on the ship (the ones that actually hurt). My Bismarck in a typical battle does maybe 12k direct damage with secondaries. That means you might have prevented 4k damage (1/3 of the secondary broadside). That's like 3-4 overpens of the main battery. And if I actually realised and cared about it, I'd just now swing the ship around and get the intact secondary broadside firing at you.

The sole reason to try kill secondaries is the campaign mission, though I honestly wouldn't bother with it.

• Cool 1

Players
150 posts
8,995 battles

even for the campain aa mounts are enough, fire 2 coop games with bismark only he and u have the compl mission done.......it can be frustrating to be in secondary range as a dd......just dont get in range, its much easier

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

As a DD, forget it.

DD AP is great agasint armoured BB secondaries.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, creamgravy said:

DD AP is great agasint armoured BB secondaries.

Alright. Nice to know. Never tried it. Never really will try it. Typically I rather spam the AP into the superstructure and get better results. But I guess if stray shots hit the secondaries, I now know it's not entirely pointless. Only almost so.

[WCWVE]
Players
1,049 posts
16,794 battles
3 hours ago, aboomination said:

2558116702_d7407bc2aa_b.jpg

Where does the above fit in with the content of this thread

[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
7 minutes ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

high caliber HE shells

Players
1,144 posts
23,282 battles

AP seems better at destroying secondaries, while HE gets more AA mounts, at least in my experience. The larger the caliber the better.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
9 hours ago, Hannibalurg said:

Thoughts, suggestions?

Depends on each secondary gun. Some are in turrets, some are not. Some turrets are have good armour, others are just paper stripped over a wooden frame. There is no "1 answer for all of them"

• Turretless gun - AP is useless, HE takes them out
  • Lightly armoured turret - low caliber AP may do it, HE does it as long as it can penetrate it
  • Heavily armoured turret - HE is useless (or rather - should be, I've had Lions turret knocked out by DD HE, at least didn't see anyone else shooting at me at that time), low caliber AP will probably just bounce or shatter, so you'd need something bigger

3 hours ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

Look at the picture. Read whats written on the ship. Pretty obvious, isn't it?

Sign in to follow this