Balzabar

OK I,m new please help me enjoy this game

18 comments in this topic

Players
9 posts
625 battles

Hi all

I have been playing world of warships for about a month. I have worked myself up to tier V BB manually. I also play lesser ships to some extent. My skills are generally improving as I go and  Yes i am an utter noob I accept that. But some things are seriously beginning to impact my enjoyment.

Why is it that seemingly every time i offer support to ships ie cruisers and other ships everything's fine till the enemy starts to fire back and then everyone runs away and lets me die. Is this normal for random battles? its just complete chaos!

secondly no one (with exceptions) seems, in randoms, to know anything of their key jobs ie support and intel they just wade in and die or run away

Is there some other way of getting into better organized action ( im no noob in this i have been in organized fights for 15 years in other games)

I suppose what i need is some general guidance.

hope someone can help

Balzabar

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,298 posts
14,932 battles

communication at the start of battle helps a bit, but it is true that most players play like they want (and are proud of it) and are not interested in teamplay

• Cool 1

Players
994 posts
22,221 battles

A good way to get help and Teamplay is, to go in Divis and/or search a Clan.  

To learn, some Youtubers are helpful.  Ichase Captains Academy  maybe is helpful. 

• Cool 1

[TRRC]
[TRRC]
Players
248 posts
6,700 battles

Easiest way to get on with this is stick behind dds and cruiser, u will see torps, and u will have spot.things go complicated when the dd dies.after that just think where u will receive torps, and try to zig zag.or join the rest of the team.

Players
9 posts
625 battles

ok guys so the consensus is randoms are chaotic so best not try to organize. i will look into clans see if any will help me

thanks

Players
1,567 posts
10,292 battles
47 minutes ago, Balzabar said:

Hi all

I have been playing world of warships for about a month. I have worked myself up to tier V BB manually. I also play lesser ships to some extent. My skills are generally improving as I go and  Yes i am an utter noob I accept that. But some things are seriously beginning to impact my enjoyment.

Why is it that seemingly every time i offer support to ships ie cruisers and other ships everything's fine till the enemy starts to fire back and then everyone runs away and lets me die. Is this normal for random battles? its just complete chaos!

secondly no one (with exceptions) seems, in randoms, to know anything of their key jobs ie support and intel they just wade in and die or run away

Is there some other way of getting into better organized action ( im no noob in this i have been in organized fights for 15 years in other games)

hope someone can help

Balzabar

First problem is in your tier. You can not really expect people to understand game on tier V. So yes, it is kinda chaos.
Second thing, I would like to point out on something what you mentioned: If you are alone, everyone ran away... Why you are alone then? You should immediately start turning away with them.

You will find better gameplay on higher tiers but it depends from game to game. If you wish to enjoy game, I can not really suggest BB on lower tiers.. Its more like Destroyer gameplay where you can impact game yourself (By spotting, cap contesting etc, something what low tiers do not understand).
Also , BBs on low tiers have low range, that is part why you must stay close to fight. Yes BBs should tank damage, but not all BBs can do it on same way, rushing in wont do any good to you or your team. So its like: Attract their attention but dont be too close to die.

• Cool 1

Players
9 posts
625 battles

yea I take your points good to know.

As for being stuck on my own. if I support  cruisers and destroyers they can run and turn a lot better than me I kinda get stuck and blown to bits as I cant do either of those things well.

As for smaller ships ill take another look at them 

thanks 

Players
367 posts
17,500 battles
4 hours ago, Balzabar said:

Hi all

Welcome to this excellent game and to this forum. Ask and you shall recieve.

Sadly, some ppl play this game to get / improve their stats. Those kind of players mostly stay back and try to maximize their damage output, no matter the outcome of the game. Then, most cruisers somewhat has to play that way ; Bite & kite. They get in to the brink of their detection range and when enemies are spotted, they turn around and start to kite and deal damage. No matter what your goals are, this is more or less the proper way to approach enemies with cruisers. That is the point where BBS should tank and try to do as much damage as possible, without overextending ofc. Cruisers should "pump" their way back to closer ranges and support their BBs and DDs and push forward in order to secure the possible cap zone. Ofc when enemy has majority of their fleet in the same area and your fleet is minor, you should start kiting and "pull" the enemy in for your supporting fleet to engage.

It takes time to realise when and what is happening. When you should push, when you should kite and when to disengage. Going straight forward full speed is rarely beneficial.

Yeah, well, the playerbases diversity in skill is quite... massive. There is a lot of new players who will not know their objectives. There is a lot of players that know very well their objective but they will not participate in teamplay, becuase they play for their stats only. In randoms, this will always take part and all you can personally do, is your best and try to communicate with your team via chat. Sometimes there are some players that are in for the win. Then you will have a good game, no matter will you lose or win. Enjoy those moments.

hope someone can help

When the pre-game counter hits zero, that is the best time to ask for players wanted strategy : Which cap(s) should ppl go, which DDs to where, if there is radars, where they will position. If there is like 2-3 BBs, where the team wish them to position. When they want them to push or lock down areas. If there is a CV, which cap she will spot ect. Communication is the key. Sadly, that will not work in some cases at all, but almost in every game there is at least one other player that wants to win and do things accordingly.

As for the guidance, there are good points in the above comments. Ask, you will get an answer. Watch some videos from tube. Flambass, Flamu, Notser, Mejash, NoZoupForYou, those CCs have excellent material in YouTube and there you will find a lot answers and hints to improve your gameplay. This is a complicated game, and the most important thing to learn at first is to give time to this game and for the learning part. Do not rush tiers and ships, because they all have a very important things to teach to you. Only when you feel confident and relaxed in a ship, then it would be perfect time to move on to the next one. So, simply, play more randoms and do not rush tiers. Study the mechanics very closely. Read this forums quide section. Make mistakes. Analyse your gameplay and mistakes and try to learn from them. Have patience.

Fair seas fellow captain!

[CATS]
Players
28,298 posts
14,932 battles
2 hours ago, Balzabar said:

ok guys so the consensus is randoms are chaotic so best not try to organize.

No.

Trying to organize helps. But do not expect it to work every time or that all team members play together.

Getting 3-7 players play together, 70% of the time is better than 12 players playing a solo game, 100% of the time.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
3 hours ago, Balzabar said:

Why is it that seemingly every time i offer support to ships ie cruisers and other ships everything's fine till the enemy starts to fire back and then everyone runs away and lets me die. Is this normal for random battles?

Pretty much the sole reason why it's becoming rarer and rarer to see me tanking for anyone who's not my division mate. As soon as you got the enemy attention morons just run away and leave you to die. If it was at least rewarded, but tanking gives so little XP and credits that they might aswell not be there. Not worth it

Even if they know those often are not rewarded, so people go for "I do dmg" instead of "I do teamwork". people don't want to have crap games just so some random teammate could have a good one

Find people to division with. A good way to go would be joining some clan. Preferably look for some that actually talk while playing - those voice coms tend to be important.

Playing in a division is far, far more enjoyable than playing solo. And when you get to higher tiers you can start participating in operations (tiers 6 & 7, up to 7 people division) and later maybe even clan battles (need at least tier 8 to get rentals, played in tier 10, division of 7 people)

Alternative to a clan would be some Community Contributors discord channel - I've seen people going into random divisions on those aswell

2 hours ago, Boris_MNE said:

Why you are alone then? You should immediately start turning away with them.

Thing is, a BB will never keep up with a CA or DD who are running away. They are turned and going into the opposite direction before you even have your rudder locked to a side :Smile_sceptic:

And by the time you are finally turned (if you survived the turn itself)... they are far far away from you.

2 hours ago, Paimentaja said:

When the pre-game counter hits zero, that is the best time to ask for players wanted strategy : Which cap(s) should ppl go

1: Plan?

2: Which caps?

1: Lets go A & B?

2: Ok

3: Wilco!

4: Wilco!

5: Wilco!

*1 turns towards the AB side*

*whole team lemmingtrains to C*

Literally every time:Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
367 posts
17,500 battles
40 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

1: Plan?

2: Which caps?

1: Lets go A & B?

2: Ok

3: Wilco!

4: Wilco!

5: Wilco!

*1 turns towards the AB side*

*whole team lemmingtrains to C*

Literally every time:Smile_trollface:

Well, not every time but too close :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
9 posts
625 battles

I don't mind comms I have played organised battles for 15 years in other games so I guess that wont be a problem, eve if I just listen it will be more rewarding to me to accomplish something organised than the anarchy of my present game.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,134 posts
11,146 battles

On a side note, it might be a normal thing for you to do, but it should still be said: thank you for coming on the forums to ask for advice and help.

That attitude alone is going to quasi-guarantee that you improve dramatically,as well as have more fun.

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
On 5/24/2018 at 1:38 PM, Paimentaja said:

Sadly, some ppl play this game to get / improve their stats. Those kind of players mostly stay back and try to maximize their damage output, no matter the outcome of the game.

Going straight forward full speed is rarely beneficial.

Except those rear hiders/map border humpers rarely do any good amount of damage:

Because first they have problems in hitting the enemy from long range.

And after team they used as meatshield has sinked enemy overwhelms them fast with superior numbers and firepower.

Going straight forward (at any steady speed) is good way to attract metal fishes unless there's destroyer screen.

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Also looks like you could do some gunnery training.

With their slow reload battleships are really bad for learning leading targets.

Cruisers would be better for that.

At Tier 4 they have good range and protected +1 tier MM.

Being able to to reliably hit broadside sailing battleship up to 10s shell flight time would be good before playing battleships more.

Leading by shell flight time is best approach because it allows easier switching between ships.

Players
9 posts
625 battles

ok good advise ty.

I will re watch these vids again and apply them to cruisers 

Beta Tester
1,734 posts
18,052 battles

To give the technical answer to your initial question: The only form of really organized team play will obly be found in clan battles (which were already mentioned above). Clan battles work at Tier10 only. You need to get to Tier8 and I think Level 15 with your account in order to qualify for participation.

Until then the game offers only Division play for some sort of organization.

Have a look at the tournament King of the Seas VI (look at WoWs homepage) to see the possibilities of organized team play.