You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
megaducky

In defense of the current CV mechanics.

8 comments in this topic

Players
27 posts
132 battles

Although CVs get a lot of hate, the carrier mechanics are actually perfectly fine. The real problem is that players too lazy to actually change their play style when a carrier is around. This is combined with the fact that Wargaming does not give carrier captains any real instructions and permits overpowered CVs to bully around low tier CV captains. Not only that, but the significance of captain skills significantly turns off new CV captains. This is compounded by the ridiculous power of AA builds, and the high power that AA can achieve at high tiers. 

The only thing stops Carriers from being being ridiculously underpowered is that the average player base is completely retarded and cannot manage to play in a co-ordinated manner at all. Which means that CVs essentially are un-opposed. The only reasons why CVs are "OP" at all is that the average player makes themselves an exceedingly easy target for CVs. 

Most of the issues in CV play could be solved with these measures;

A: Increase rewards for CV play, CV play has ridiculously low rewards, with extremely good play rewarding low gains. 

B: Add a full tutorial for new CV players. 

C: Give manual drops to low tier CVs, but nerf them heavily, I.E 3.5k damage torps, and a nerf on the strafe multiplier. 

D: Remove AA spec, but increase stock AA values to be an average between fully spec'ed and stock.

I hope you enjoy, and hope that this provokes discussion.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Players
27 posts
132 battles
4 minutes ago, aboomination said:

WG is currently reworking CV mechanics. So B,C,D won't happen anytime soon.

I'm well aware of that, however this is designed to point out that a radical, ground up remodel is completely un-necessary. 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,416 posts
20,468 battles

A

Honestly? CV rewards are what rewards for every other class should look like.

To make money in CVs you need to:

- scout (even if scouting rewards are pitiful to say the least)

- shoot down a lot of planes

- deal a lot of damage in percentages, making DDs your favorite target

Aka the reward system for CVs makes you play for the benefit of your team whether you like it or not.

In any other class you only need to farm damage to make a lot of profit. You can't do that in CVs. And that's a great thing.

B

"We're almost ready to launch the first stage of ingame tutorials." - WG April 2017

Source: https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/24531-asia-qa-round-1-answers/?tab=comments#comment-309470

We're working on adaptive tutorial through personal offers system. The first stage covers the basics, and hopefully, is about to launch. Then, we plan to expand it, including CV tutorial.

Considering literally nothing has happened in this regard we can safely assume that WG has given up on bettering their playerbase, instead choosing to cater to braindead potatoes. Makes sense considering that is the actual reason why the CV rework is happening in the first place.

C

Been suggested when we first heard of the idiotic removal of alt attacks for low tier CVs. WG told us to the face that they're ignoring what skilled CV players are saying out of principle in response.

D

Suggested for years, nothing has happened.

Beta Tester
209 posts
13,218 battles

E: the buggy unresponsive ui scares many players away. wg is blaming the rts playstyle, while in reality the ui is simply unable to support rts playstyle. If the UI would work properly, Wows would have been offering the most beginner friendly rts playstyle ever, a nice learning curve from t4 to t10, combined with a proper tutorial, you could train the players to be at least not braindead. 

on the other points I side with you except maybe for A. 

Wg has a tendency to ignore the problem and cause new ones.

but hey when they think a total rework of the class and aa mechanic is easier than fixing the bloody ui.....

• Cool 1

Players
1,144 posts
23,281 battles

CV mechanics are fine in general, OP has nailed it that it's the players fault. But since the majority of the players are too lazy or inept or just don't like CVs, there will be a change.

[KTS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
11,708 battles

what you say is so true. The main problem is that the average player has the brain of a monkey, goes alone, and goes in a straight line always, even when the torps are already armed ( in that way i could land a 6 out of 6  on an Iowa with a stock lexington and cripple him).

Back in alpha/beta cv where way more powerful, but this ( and the lack of the no-fly zone death machines) meant that in a carrier game you had to stick toghether or the carrier would nuke you ( and i'm telling that as one who was in the top 10 carrier player in alpha with 135-140k average damage on the essex in solo-play). But i still remember those cruiser sticking toghether with bbs and they will become aa monsters and you where down to  25k matches. And that meant that you would see way more cruiser and not this monstrous BB overpopulation, and that was a good thing for bot cruisers ( who could go around more freely) and bbs, that had way more targhets. But wg is keepig dumbing down their gameplay to meet the iq requirements of mokeys ( i miss back in the  day where a broadside bb would have eaten 30-40k salvoes and their rudder shift was in the 25 secs territory) 

• Cool 1