You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
fireflies117

Japanese DD

8 comments in this topic

Question

Players
40 posts
2,709 battles

Some updates ago, the DD's couldn't fire their guns without being spotted. Which is a logical choice for gunboat DD's, like the american and russian DD tech tree. These ships are primarily for shooting enemies than for using their torps. However for the Japanses DD tech tree and more specific the DD's like the mutsuki, this decision was terrible. These ships don't have a lot of guns and those guns don't do a lot of damage.

If i compare the mutsuki with the minekaze, the minekaze is on every aspect a better choice. It has more guns and has 3 torpedo launchers instead of 2. So this makes the mutsuki line nearly useless.

So isn't it possible to give some DD's the possibility to fire their guns without being spotted, because now some DD's like the mutsuki aren't really playable.

7 answers to this question

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
18 minutes ago, fireflies117 said:

Some updates ago, the DD's couldn't fire their guns without being spotted. Which is a logical choice for gunboat DD's, like the american and russian DD tech tree. These ships are primarily for shooting enemies than for using their torps. However for the Japanses DD tech tree and more specific the DD's like the mutsuki, this decision was terrible. These ships don't have a lot of guns and those guns don't do a lot of damage.

If i compare the mutsuki with the minekaze, the minekaze is on every aspect a better choice. It has more guns and has 3 torpedo launchers instead of 2. So this makes the mutsuki line nearly useless.

So isn't it possible to give some DD's the possibility to fire their guns without being spotted, because now some DD's like the mutsuki aren't really playable.

Don't think IJN DDs ever were able to stealthfire (or were they?), that was pretty much US and RU thing

Anyway, for your comparison of those 2 DDs:

• While Mutsuki has half the gun count, it has nearly double rate of fire (4x6 on Minekaze vs 2x10.9 on Mutsuki) and almost half the turret turning time (30s vs 18s)
  • Mutsuki has 400 more hp and AA values that might even be viable for the tier (especially with an AA based build)
  • Torpedoes - Minekaze has 3x2, Mutsuki has 2x3 - so both get 6 fishes in the water. While Minekaze takes just 2 thirds the time to reload them, Mutsukis torps go 1km further, are 6kts faster and do 4k more dmg per torp (thus also having a far better flooding chance)
  • Maneuverability - Minekaze is 1.5kts faster (at her 39 vs Mutsukis 37.5) with identical rudder shift (2.1s) and turning radius (550m)
  • Identical concealment on both

So you were saying...? I've always seen Mutsuki as clearly superior to the Minekaze

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,866 battles
Vor 1 Minute, wilkatis_LV sagte:

Don't think IJN DDs ever were able to stealthfire (or were they?), that was pretty much US and RU thing

They were. With AFT even better.

[CATS]
Players
28,194 posts
14,917 battles

Increase of spotting range while shooting was always the case. That is not new.

IJN DD rely on their torps, not their guns. Guns are for self defense or special situations.

Players
40 posts
2,709 battles

First of all, thank you for the response.

19 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Anyway, for your comparison of those 2 DDs:

• While Mutsuki has half the gun count, it has nearly double rate of fire (4x6 on Minekaze vs 2x10.9 on Mutsuki) and almost half the turret turning time (30s vs 18s)
  • Mutsuki has 400 more hp and AA values that might even be viable for the tier (especially with an AA based build)
  • Torpedoes - Minekaze has 3x2, Mutsuki has 2x3 - so both get 6 fishes in the water. While Minekaze takes just 2 thirds the time to reload them, Mutsukis torps go 1km further, are 6kts faster and do 4k more dmg per torp (thus also having a far better flooding chance)
  • Maneuverability - Minekaze is 1.5kts faster (at her 39 vs Mutsukis 37.5) with identical rudder shift (2.1s) and turning radius (550m)
  • Identical concealment on both

So you were saying...? I've always seen Mutsuki as clearly superior to the Minekaze

I personally think that 1.5 kts is not so much, so for me there isn't really a difference.

If you look at the guns from another perspective, i say that with the mutsuki you need 12 seconds to fire 4 shots, while you need only 10.9 seconds with the minekaze.

The torpedoes, it is nice to have torpedoes that do more damage, are faster and go further. However, if you have 3 launchers you are much more flexible in using those torps and they have a much faster reload for the minekaze.

And AA guns aren't really a thing for DD's. I only use them, when I'm spotted and if I'm spotted, I usually run away (or is that the wrong decision ;) ).

17 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Increase of spotting range while shooting was always the case. That is not new.

IJN DD rely on their torps, not their guns. Guns are for self defense or special situations.

Yeah, i heard that a lot. But in that case, why does wows has two IJN DD tech tree branches.

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,542 posts
9,549 battles

Removing stealth firing is the best thing WG has done in a long time. Putting it back would be just ridiculous. Mutsuki just sucks, but then again not all ships can be good

[CATS]
Players
28,194 posts
14,917 battles
30 minutes ago, fireflies117 said:

Yeah, i heard that a lot. But in that case, why does wows has two IJN DD tech tree branches.

More DD to play.

And yes, the Akizuki is a gunboat and the planned Tier IX and X for the alternative line will be too.