You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

7 comments in this topic

Question

[K-G-N]
Players
20 posts
11,222 battles

Just wanted to throw the question out there about potential addition of HMS Rodney and who would be interested/ does WG have any current plans for this?

I feel that it would be great if we could have Rodney with it's historical forward launching torpedoes, scout aircraft, heavy AA armament and perhaps the Warspite style gun system with good AP but poorer HE performance. I reckon this could also be moved to T8 and have more HP, better armour and a smaller citadel in exchange for loss of the Nelson heal.

What does everyone else think?

• Cool 1

6 answers to this question

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,704 posts
14,190 battles

To be honest, it only had 2 x 1 torpedo launchers, and if they were restricted to a small (5°) firing arc I don't see why not. Mutsu can fire 2 torps each side in very limited arcs broadside, which is not entirely disimilar. I think it would be cool to see.

Hood also had 4 (2 x 2) torpedo tubes either side, above water, and these are not unlike the launchers of Akagi and Tirpitz (other than being housed in very narrow torpedo rooms behind doors, and stacked vertically, rather than the more conventional horizontal, deck-mounted launchers), but are similarly absent.

Perhaps if WG ever adds an alternative BB branch featuring other missing british battleships (revenge, repulse, renown, courageous, collosus, dreadnought) then perhaps it could join that? Although it would make more sense for Nelson to be standard and Rodney to be the premium.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,132 posts
11,146 battles

Torpedoes are probably out of the question, but a non-stupid, sensibly designed (from a game design perspective)  RN BB ?
Yes please.

[K-G-N]
Players
20 posts
11,222 battles

Well...it's the only BB ever to torpedo another BB, so it would feel a little unfair to me for it not to have it. Maybe they could be non-rotatable with a long reload. It's a slow ship with, so they'd be fairly situational, but a cool additional tool - a bit like Mutsu's.

[K-G-N]
Players
20 posts
11,222 battles

Well...alternative lines is another topic I'd love. Especially (hopefully not AP focused)  battlecruisers including those at Jutland and Repulse/Renown, Vanguard (fast battleship) and the draft designs. Would also like to see Prince of Wales with maybe more French style performing guns (small calibre AP) and actual good armour like the KGV class was known for. I think that could get put at T8 too.

[SHAD]
Players
154 posts
On 5/23/2018 at 8:45 PM, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

Hood also had 4 (2 x 2) torpedo tubes either side, above water, and these are not unlike the launchers of Akagi and Tirpitz (other than being housed in very narrow torpedo rooms behind doors, and stacked vertically, rather than the more conventional horizontal, deck-mounted launchers), but are similarly absent.

Fun fact the Queen Elizabeth class Battleships also had torpedoes same with the Revenge Class and Renown class, in fact most British BBs prior to the 1939 KGV class had torpedo tubes, yes this does include: Dreadnought, Bellerophon, Orion, Iron Duke and the above mentioned QE and R class, in fact to the best of my knowledge all British Dreadnought style BBs up until the 1939 KGV class mounted torpedo tubes, in fact I think a lot of British Pre-Dreadnoughts also mounted torpedo tubes.

To answer the original posts question, personally I'd love the Rodney to be in-game but in her config that she was in when she had the X-turret catapult and aircraft (a feature only Rodney had), there would be other small tweaks needing made to the 3D model such as a triangular indentation on the starboard side of the bridge structure (this feature was also a Rodney only feature) along with the top of the bridge structure would need to be open at the very top unlike the enclosed top of the structure on Nelson, adding torps to the ships that had them such as Hood, Nelson, QE, Warspite, a Revenge class, Renown class and Rodney if they are ever added which I hope those ships are would be interesting and of course more historically accurate.

I'll try and find decent photos later showing the triangular indentation on Rodney's bridge structure along with difference and the top of the bridge structures and the torpedo doors of the Revenge and QE class.

[SHAD]
Players
154 posts

1728814548_Rodneybridgestbdk.thumb.jpg.a5fab0d49fe1c3c011976b416b0607b1.jpg

Triangular indentation on the Starboard side of Rodney's Bridge Structure - Nelson did not have this feature.

398598672_HMSRoyalOakk.jpg.5e2fc74febddf06778da537c624cfae1.jpg

Torpedo tube doors on the bow of HMS Royal Oak.

Sadly I can not find a photo showing the QE Class torpedo tubes but they did have them.

Fun little note: the dark and light lines on top of Royal Oak's B - Turret are Spanish Civil War Neutrality Stripes.