Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
viceadmiral123

Z-39, another premium passes the "WG balance" check

47 comments in this topic

Players
1,144 posts
23,288 battles

It seems another premium ship got a strong buff right before release and went in the "oops" basket with Belfast and the bunch.

I watched some CC videos on the pre-buff version and it looked fine, only to find out it was dropped in t7 as is, even kept the camo module slot.

edit: WoWS stats & numbers currently - 23/05/2018 - ranks the Z-39 at 3rd place in winrate from all DDs in the game, less than a percent behind Kamikaze in the 2nd place.

• Funny 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,930 battles

So buy it?

[UNICS]
Players
1,423 posts
21,741 battles

I would be more surprised if it wasn't OP

• Cool 2

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles
5 minutes ago, viceadmiral123 said:

It seems another premium ship got a strong buff right before release and went in the "oops" basket with Belfast and the bunch.

I watched some CC videos on the pre-buff version and it looked fine, only to find out it was dropped in t7 as is, even kept the camo module slot.

it is strong, but i would not put it into Belfast cathegory

• Cool 2

[CS-N]
Beta Tester
74 posts
11,700 battles

Well, it is strong (spot, sonar), but with its rather bad DPM, average torps and bad manoeuvrability I would not assign it as an OP.

• Cool 7

Players
10,201 posts
11,986 battles
8 minutes ago, viceadmiral123 said:

Destroyer with hp as main redeeming factor... how exactly you put that into offense?

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,930 battles
5 minutes ago, Baron432 said:

Well, it is strong (spot, sonar), but with its rather bad DPM, average torps and bad manoeuvrability I would not assign it as an OP.

Amazing how someone with so many matches on its back would post such asinine post but hey, has not tested the ship so...

Let me guess, you precious derpitz got whooped by one OP?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
25 minutes ago, viceadmiral123 said:

I weakened and got the Z-39. 

In the right circumstances it's decent as DD's go, but it's far from OP, the guns have a lousy rate of fire, poor traverse and meh arcs, to get all 4 on a target means you have to show an awful lot of broadside, it's got some AA, but don't expect to shoot down much, it doesn't handle well and the torpedoes are very average. Has a high health pool, but it's far from agile enough to dodge fire from anyone with a brain so that disappears fast if you've been spotted.

I've had some good games in it, but since I use the 19 point Captain of my Z-52 in command I have some advantages others won't have.

It's not OP, I'd call it adequate at best and meh in some cases.

3 minutes ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

I see no issues with it... Its just a heavier Maass.

But without the option to use the 128mm guns and only having 4 instead of 5 which in a knife fight is a bad thing.

• Cool 3

Weekend Tester
849 posts
10,048 battles

On the stats sites the preliminary results are placing it second or third to the Black for win rate, and right in the middle of the Kamikaze/R/Fujin trio.

Presumably part of that is the "new premium bought by enthusiasts" effect, and the "played hard for the 25x missions" effect, but it still seems to have had a strong start.

Players
2,199 posts
14,266 battles
24 minutes ago, cracktrackflak said:

On the stats sites the preliminary results are placing it second or third to the Black for win rate, and right in the middle of the Kamikaze/R/Fujin trio.

Presumably part of that is the "new premium bought by enthusiasts" effect, and the "played hard for the 25x missions" effect, but it still seems to have had a strong start.

Black?

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 hour ago, viceadmiral123 said:

It still doesn't even have best concealment in its tier, nor overwhelming gun power or torpedoes. It is just decent in all aspects, except its hp pool that is great. But hp alone don't help. I see the strengths of the Z-39 as the right strengths to have given to a T7 premium DD, who will have to go up against T8s and T9s at times. hp and concealment module go a long way to make the ship playable there, though the armament still won't be up to much.

And this is far from Belfast.

2 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

Black?

Premium DD given out for five seasons of Rank 1 in ranked. A Fletcher with a bit slow torps and instead of defAA it can get radar (same as on PA DDs). Given what a radar/smoke combo can do, how decent a Fletcher is and that people who reached Rank 1 5 times in a row tend to be on average a bit better in performance than the overall player base, it's not surprising Black dominates at the top of the chart.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Wait, it still gets the 5th upgrade slot?

... I won't bother asking why, it's WG balancing we're talking about here. What's the Z-39's maximum stealth now? And it still gets the same hydro as the Maass, correct?

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,854 battles
3 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Wait, it still gets the 5th upgrade slot?

... I won't bother asking why, it's WG balancing we're talking about here. What's the Z-39's maximum stealth now? And it still gets the same hydro as the Maass, correct?

6.1km detection range

4.4km hydro vs ships but the caveat there is the smoke detect is 3.3km or 3.4km (can't remember exactly off hand).

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
415 posts
22,499 battles

The ship is far from OP....
Its was below average at T8 and suited better for T7. Most of us CCs gave that as a feedback according to the content I've seen on Twitch/YouTube.
Yes, it has a T8 module.But that doesn't make it OP. 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
1 minute ago, xxNihilanxx said:

6.1km detection range, 4.4km hydro vs ships.

4,4km hydro vs ships is tier VIII KM DD hydro ...

So WG really just took the tier VIII version of the Z-39 and then just dropped it one tier without adjustments. Brilliant!

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,854 battles
Just now, Aotearas said:

So WG really just took the tier VIII version of the Z-39 and then just dropped it one tier without adjustments. Brilliant!

Yep, pretty much.

You expected anything else from the WG balancing dept? This is WG where the only balance that matters is their bank balance.

• Cool 1

[YJKG]
Players
488 posts
22,607 battles

Z-39 with IFHE is good fun, penning 33mm of armor means you can bowpen T8 BBs with her HE... I've been finding 2-3k HE volleys a reliable thing with her if you don't hit a shell on a turret or something.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,111 posts
20,776 battles
2 hours ago, viceadmiral123 said:

Should it have had some more testing before release due to change in tier? yep defiantly.

But just about all CC and many super testers said she was just to weak for tier 8. But and this is a big but to play her well i feel you HAVE to know DDs and more explicitly German DDs and there game play. She is not an easy DD to play. The Guns are amazing at the right moment. I like 150mm DD gunplay. But you really have to know when to engage. you can easily win a fight against another gunboat DD but only if you really know what you are doing.

I have almost all the Prem DDs (I dont have Gremmy/Kidd or Black) Z39 is probably the hardest boat to play of them all. 

IS she OP at tier 7 mmmm i don't think so. Is she strong yes. definatly

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,111 posts
20,776 battles
7 minutes ago, aboomination said:

GM shits on her.

That ships Sh#ts on EVERYTHING

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
1 hour ago, Aotearas said:

It would have been absurdly easy meat at T8, it's simply not strong enough. It's very easy to kill with T9 ships of all classes, vs any of the T10's it would be a rapid snack.  It doesn't perform well vs a Kidd which is T8 and can gunboat it to bits very easily and Loyang totally slaps it silly with much faster reload, better agility and longer range Hydro.

It was never T8 material, it's not stellar at T7, it takes some doing to perform well in it so it's weak in novice KM DD hands unless top tier.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,786 posts
12,246 battles

Exactly what t7 needed - a premium DD with hydro that also happens to outspot everything that's not Shiratsuyu (and only slightly trails begind the latter in stealth department).

Brilliant balancing :Smile_honoring:

[CAIN]
Players
4,672 posts
19,806 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Exactly what t7 needed - a premium DD with hydro that also happens to outspot everything that's not Shiratsuyu (and only slightly trails begind the latter in stealth department).

Brilliant balancing :Smile_honoring:

Which is also very sluggish and gets wrecked easily when spotted, has atrocious DPM due to 150mm guns and can't knife fight with gunboats for $hit, has 8.5km torps which is a rather bad range considering you're in radar range when you try to drop the fish.

This boat is decent at TVII, nothing more.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this