Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Warhawk1984

Ranked season 9 review for tier 8 ships

12 comments in this topic

Players
257 posts
3,083 battles

Okay guys be it luck or skill i reached rank 10 and this means the end of my ranked season, needing nearly 400k exp till my first tier X ship i have progressed as far as i can so i will do a little unbiased review of ships in ranked and if buffs or nurfs are needed. all data will be used from https://wows-numbers.com/season/id,9/ and the only stat i am really interested in here is Win Rate as that is really the only stat that counts in ranked battles, doing 200k damage and losing might keep you a star but it wont earn you 1. 

Aircraft Carriers:

okay i lied i said i was gonna be unbiased but in my opinion CV's are in there worst state ever taking the AS from the US line and giving it to the JAP line has destroyed the US CV they are always out gunned in terms of fighters due to multiple fighter squads which gives not only air superiority but spotting as well. but lets seee what the stats say.

Lexington W/R 43.99% / 56,793 average damage

Shokaku W/R 52.67% / 52,139 average damage

Enterprise W/R 58.06% / 68,574 average damage

Graf Zeppelin W/R 59.94% / 81,553 average damage

that is close to 16% win rate difference between the top performer and bottom performer. It is quite clear that the Lexington is in dire need of help hell i would say the Lexington would struggle at tier 7 let alone tier 8.

interesting that the $$$ ships are preforming so much better than the standard grind ships. and its intresting how so many people hate the graf zeppelin yet look at that win rate and damage and people say it ain't OP?

Battleships:

i wont list them all just the top 3 and bottom 3 performers.

Richelieu W/R 51.87% / 60,405 average damage 

Alabama W/R 51.52% / 62,056 average damage 

Amagi W/R 51.09% / 61,340 average damage 

Monarch W/R 48.98% / 57,194 average damage 

Kii W/R 48.3% / 53,235 average damage

Gascogne  48.03% / 54,596 average damage

not such a massive difference this time ranging from ~52% to ~48% could a few of the lower performers do with a small buff? perhaps but for the most part i would say battleships are reasonably balanced

Cruisers:

ok on to cruisers, i dont really play cruisers in my own opinion there role as anti dd/AA/supporting fire seams to me a bit of a jack of all trades ship but master of none. again i will list the top 3 and bottom 3.

Kutuzov W/R 53.31% / 60306 average damage

Atago W/R 52.24 / 45153 average damage

Prinz Eugen 51.76 / 41,717 average damage

Admiral Hipper 48.6% / 37,519 average damage

New Orleans 48.77% / 33,749 average damage

Mogami 49.6% / 41,590 average damage

Interestingly the Kutuzov out scores the vast majority of battleships in terms of damage with a average damage of 60306 a full 15K more than its closest rival the Atago (45153) she looks like a prime candidate for the nerf bat a cruiser that out damages battleships on average is just wrong.

Destroyers:

again i dont really play dd's to often though i have played them often enough to know how to play them.

Loyang W/R 54.03% / 28,510 average damage

Akizuki W/R 53.48% / 34,589 average damage

Kidd W/R 53.33% / 29,533 average damage

Hsienyang W/R 47.92% /27,073 average damage

Harekaze W/R 47.03% / 25,499 average damage

Ognevoi W/R 46.25% / 24,023 average damage

well at first glance it looks like a few dd's could do with a little buff and the akizuki's damage looks a little high compared to the rest where as the ognevoi looks like it might benefit from a little buff.

over all the ships in the most need of help is clearly the Lexington, battleships and cruisers seams fine though the Kutuzov seams a little op to me destroyers seams ok a few ships with damage that seams a little to high

this is my opinion from season 9 love to gauge your guys opinions

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles

Yes ,the Lo Yang is very powerful.

I only felt threatened in Ranked when there was another Lo Yang in the enemy team, if not it was a fiesta.

And Lexington is underperforming big time in its tier.

Got confused with the Graf Zeppelin stats though, didnt expect it to out perform the Enterprise.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles

Wasn't Kutuzov taken off sale for being OP (admittedly, before the smoke nerf)? That said, there aren't too many newbies (beside people like me who got them in Xmas crates etc) with those as a result - shouldn't that result in a bit of a positive pressure on the thing's WR?

One also wonders what the Loyang WR might look like if idiots like me were removed from the figures...!

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,761 posts
21,196 battles

This season I had a perfect 100% winrate in the Atago, fell in love with the boat as it was able to carry even bad teams. Kutuzov was a good second place, with 2 battles lost and a 75% WR.

I didn't perform well in the Eugen as it gave me a 50% WR. Still, the three had allowed me to quickly and comfortably reach R10.

[-AS-]
Players
731 posts

The Chapayev was a great ship for me for tier 8 ranked. You get the starring role as the DD radarer. And the enemy attention grabber whenever spotted. And the DPM monster.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
2 hours ago, Warhawk1984 said:

all data will be used from https://wows-numbers.com/season/id,9/

Thing is, WoWS numbers will show you only the data for players they track - a.k.a. players whos stats pages are being opened on their side. So those are not the actual stats, as close or as far as they might be :Smile_sceptic:

Aircraft Carriers:

You have to remember that a competent CV player will not play Lex unless that's his only tier 8 CV, and even then it would be questionable. Lex is doing so badly not only bcuz it's a bad ship, but also bcuz you can easily guess that 99% of players who pick her are well below average potatoes

And the super high WR Enterprise and GZ are barely played at all

Battleships:

Richellieu is leading only bcuz mongs can't figure out how to tap the "1" key to load HE when it's needed. Yes, even (or rather - especially) in BBs. No point wasting AP on its bow :fish_palm:

I'm surprised neither Bismark, nor Derpitz made it into bottom 3 despite being hugely popular among potatoes

Bottom 3:

• Monarch is just terrible, there is no reason to pick it over the Amagi, which has as good if not better HE while not having everything else as garbage as Monarch has it. RN sAP is nice, but everyone is playing bow-on anyway so it doesn't help much
  • Gascogne - I wonder how many games were played with it, probably rather few. (looked it up on the WoWS Numbers, surprise to noone that it's the least played BB with a pick rate of 0.5% - overall above only Enterprises 0.4% and GZs 0.3%) And in those games I'd assume it tended to be played as a 20+km "fire support" if you know what I mean
  • Kii - should be as good as Amagi is, except that people tend to give far too much broadside relying on the thicker (but much less effective) armour, and end up being punished quite hard for it. No magical bulges to absorb HE and trap AP, as well as no turtleback for those close range hits

Cruisers:

There's no surprise about Kutuzov and Atago - those 2 have always been good picks. Eugen - I guess you'd have to be pretty dedicated to play it, and it got buffed, so who knows.

Meanwhile NewOrleans clearly shows how crap people are at abusing the advantage that the radar gives. Hell, most of them don't even seem to know they can use it :fish_boom:

Destroyers:

I'm surprised LOLyang has this low WR. Same for the Kidd :cap_viking:

How Herakaze managed to be bottom 3 - I simply can't understand. Potatoes being potatoes, I guess.

And anyone playing the Ognevoi (or its t10 relative - Grozovoi) deserves a good old beating for such a stupid ship choice, it should be reportable as intentional attempt to lose the game :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,183 posts
22,634 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

How Herakaze managed to be bottom 3 - I simply can't understand. Potatoes being potatoes, I guess.

Not only potatoes being potatoes. Harekaze needs at least a 14 point captain for the 100mm guns to work. 

Harekaze.thumb.PNG.2598704abaef884bfdb8d844357f829b.PNG

Experienced players get to rank 10 fast, they have too few battles below rank 10 to balance out the potatoes.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,490 battles

I can also tell you 1 hint, once you reach R10 just dont play if you want your sanity intact.

Cant even be top xp on the team with two solo caps, 10 defended and 2 kills in the Gearing.

Just a bunch of newbies with 20 battles playing co op would understand the game better.

Players
1,025 posts
5,469 battles

Well, nice idea op, but bringing universal stats in really doesn't benefit the discussion (as ships tend to balance out at about 50% wr unless they are rare -> Gz and kutu).

Personally I played a lot of akizuki and a bit of chapa. The problem t8 has is that its premiums are just so good. With radar being only carried by 3 potential ships a lo yang is just way too powerful in the right hands. 

This is the chief reason for me to actually push to rank 1 (hopefully). T10 doesn't offer these possibilities. What's more: Pretty much every tx is a viable choice and can perform. Playing a Z at t8 will get you nowhere since that one just doesn't offer the potential that other ships do. Same goes for a lot of other ships imo. 

The Lexington has been a weird ship for a long while, but never was competitive. When kots was t8 I don't recall any team using one. Yet: Ranked, clan battles and tournaments are no deciding factors for balance. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,780 posts
17,292 battles

Watching GF delete entire teams or DDs trying to compete agasint LoLYang was hilarious.

10/10 would play tier 8 ranked again.

[OGHF]
Players
1,211 posts
22,011 battles

Suprised the Edinburgh was nit in the OP’s list, with a 50.91 win rate.

I did ok with it, had 50% win rate so was pretty happy with it.

I was joint 315th for win rate.

234th for damage dealt.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this