Sign in to follow this  
Six_Cycle_Mind

Unsatisfied

14 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
81 battles

I've lost 7 games in a row with the Kolberg. A couple of those games had divisions of rank 1 players on the red team. I don't think they were the same players both times, but the end results were the same: my team got wiped out in about 6 minutes both times. The other losses were a little harder to take as I played pretty good, got a lot of damage and some kills, and ended up losing because my team just disintegrated. Three times I was the last one left alive and that stupid game says, "We depend on you!" Unfortunately, there were usually 3 or 4 or 5 enemy ships left and I didn't really stand a chance in my beat up cruiser. I know I'm complaining, and I don't mind losing a close, competitive game, but none of these were anything of the sort. It doesn't seem to matter how well I play. I had a game with over 50,000 damage, 2 kills, a cap, a bunch of defended ribbons, and we got steam rolled. I think I had the only two kills on my entire team that game. It was totally unsatisfying and not fun at all.

So my point is - my question is this - Is there anything to look forward to except much of the same? I'd like to know now before I get invested in this game more than I already am. Is this the experience I can look forward to when I finally get a tier 4 ship, and a tier 6 after that? Because right now it isn't fun and I'm trying to stay positive, but a nagging voice in the back of my head is asking me, What's the point if playing well cannot affect the outcome?

I don't know. Maybe a few days away from the game and taking a bit of a breather will help. I really want to like this game.

[CATS]
Players
28,119 posts
14,893 battles

It usually takes time to play well.

Yes, even good players lose sometime when playing well. And yes, losing streaks can happen to them too.

• Cool 1

Players
12 posts
81 battles

Thanks for the reply, Yeah I get what you're saying. I'm just feeling frustrated. So I might as well get it out of my system.

Update - I just played and lost another one in typical fashion:

kolberg1.thumb.PNG.6d0af436818bc0bcdadfc0a58d981454.PNG

kolberg2.thumb.PNG.3431df92dff5ecb1e92a2f44811bc099.PNG

I kill 3 the rest of my team kills 2 and my score is good enough to finish top 5 on the winning side, except I didn't win. The guy who killed me (and I had him dead at the same time) was someone with rank 10 and a lot more experience than me! So I have lost 8 in a row and I think I am playing well, so my original point stands - What is the point of playing well without getting rewarded for it?

[DAVY]
Players
3,019 posts
14,566 battles

don't read too much into players ranks, anyone can get to R10 with enough battles...

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,118 posts
8,551 battles

Don't force your self playing if you don't enjoy it. We all have our bad days. If its not going anywhere and you are getting annoyed just take a break.

Lower tier can be annoying as well for new comers who still don't understand everything, so take your time.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Thing is, you just reached Account Level 12, so you left the "newbie protection" MM you had up till now.

Also you are a new player, obviously don't know all too much about the game - of course loses will happen while you learn.

Spoiler

And then another "also" - if those mentioned above are 8 of your 11 PvP defeats, why aren't you complaining about your previous games where you went 13 wins for 3 defeats? Only defeat strikes deserve whining, winning streaks may come as many as they can, right?

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,172 posts
22,565 battles

Low tier battles are really hard to carry sometimes because your team dies too fast. That's no surprise, they just started playing the game just like you and they don't know how to play yet.

10 battles sounds like much but it isn't in this game. The win rate has no meaning until you have played 500 (or better 1000) battles. The more you play the more all the advantages and disadvantages (low tier vs. high tier, ship compositions, experienced players vs. newbs, etc.) will even out.

There is only one way to win more often in this game (besides divisioning with good players): Git gud. Read guides here on the forum, watch videos, ask us if you have specific questions, watch replays of your battles and try to find your mistakes. Playing in division with experienced players and with voice comms can be very helpful as well.

Defeats suck though it depends how the battle goes. I enjoy playing a hard-fought battle where it can go both ways to the very end even when I lose. On the other hand nothing is more boring than a victory where the enemy runs away from the start and you don't get to do much before they have 0 points and the battle ends.

Players
5,638 posts
7 hours ago, Six_Cycle_Mind said:

Thanks for the reply, Yeah I get what you're saying. I'm just feeling frustrated. So I might as well get it out of my system.

Update - I just played and lost another one in typical fashion:

kolberg1.thumb.PNG.6d0af436818bc0bcdadfc0a58d981454.PNG

kolberg2.thumb.PNG.3431df92dff5ecb1e92a2f44811bc099.PNG

I kill 3 the rest of my team kills 2 and my score is good enough to finish top 5 on the winning side, except I didn't win. The guy who killed me (and I had him dead at the same time) was someone with rank 10 and a lot more experience than me! So I have lost 8 in a row and I think I am playing well, so my original point stands - What is the point of playing well without getting rewarded for it?

Keep up the good work.

Don't forget: Really good players with a lot of experience have got solo win rates of 60 % and more. What does that mean? They win 6 and lose 4 matches on average. Losing is part of the game because it is a team-based game.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
982 posts

Had a 2 win and 20 loss day on monday. Lets run to the forums and make a topic.

And no, nothing will change at higher tiers. Games atm is steamrolled or get steamrolled.

To many "less skilled" players ave finally lost their way to tier 10s.

But then again, I play ships cause I like it. Stats I couldn't a rats arse about.

Play the game and have fun, or play something else, cause this is it.

Players
12 posts
81 battles

Yeah, I get it. Thanks for the encouragement and a bit of tough love. I just don't think I've ever lost 8 games in a row at anything, lol ...I'm just taking it way too seriously, obviously. A new game is just that, right? - A new game.

[SM0KE]
Players
6,132 posts
14,608 battles
6 hours ago, Six_Cycle_Mind said:

Yeah, I get it. Thanks for the encouragement and a bit of tough love. I just don't think I've ever lost 8 games in a row at anything, lol ...I'm just taking it way too seriously, obviously. A new game is just that, right? - A new game.

Don't forget: WOWS is notorious for its steep learning curve; you will get your posterior handed to you on a regular basis early on (h*ll, I still get mine handed to me more than half of the time, and I've played 3K odd battles I think), and you will get annoying losing streaks now and again at any tier.

63 battles (at time of writing) is very early days indeed - so long as you're learning stuff as you go, you'll be gitting gud in no time...

[T-U-S]
Players
37 posts
3,644 battles

For me I always check the map, where the ships are on both sides, or at least guess, and then depending on the type of ship, choose an area to move to. The big tip for the whole team is to stay as much together as possible, but sometimes they split, so don't forget the other ships on your side that are there to work as a team. The mistake I made on my first few games was to rush straight in. Now I chose left or right, and getting to know the firing range of enemy ships if possible keep out of their range, using the Islands to dodge around. Just keep plodding on, better ships will give you a longer firing range then am sure you will enjoy.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,656 posts
43,988 battles
On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎23 at 1:15 PM, Six_Cycle_Mind said:

I know I am late but hope you read this anyway. For some of us we play lower tiers to relax and we are collectors of ships, if you play low tiers especially on times with low amount of players you might get thrown in with good  players who will win fast and carry the team sometimes.in your team.

The game has matured so especially when new lines are coming you might have many players that normally does not play low tiers come down and play.

The game meta in lower tiers with small maps are less serious and i often use them as warm up games to get a positive feeling (win).

Now Kolberg is a for some players a fun dakka dakka ship but it is not the best t3 cruiser, its fast reload time makes you get a lot of hits but it is difficult to land hits that hurts, bad on longer ranges and low damage per hit. You must therefor creep Close inviting return fire, for players who knows how to aim St Louis is far stronger with a low end captain , with a high end captain the best ship is Bogatyr. These ships are more carrying ships that rewards good play even if they are slow and have alright guns at longer range.

Their guns fire with far less dpm but hurts more and they have better Health pool.

Bogatyr is for me the best t3 ship and I like it very much but you need at least 10 Points to work alright and the gun upgrade.

Take the other players advice to not rush to far and realize that 1 in 12 players can not carry so easy , it is impossible, try to find the enjoyment in playing nicely done ships and improve your own game and realize that captain buids are often crucial. If i play vs my self in a Bogatyr which are stock with a 3 p captain vs a completely researched ship with a 19 p captain as two extremes (and I do have a 19 p) the resuly difference is huge. I 1 v1 fight your chances of winning in the stock ship barely exists. Naturallly you cant have more than a few if any low tier ships like that but some veterans like myself have some favourites. You will find those ships also. say from t6-7 a 10 pointer on the ship is the goal, Before that and that the ship is fully researched it is only training and grinding and the results less important to me if you judge your own performance. In DDs especially if you play without CE it is a huge disadvantage (captain skill 4 Points, 10 Points needed). It is not so necessary in low tiers  but higher up its is really difficult without..

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

OP. seeing your stats and yes: too little amount of battles to say anything conclusive, I'm still at awe. You're doing absolutely great. As a response to your question: will the "steam rolls continue?" The honest answer is yes. However: if you keep performing this way you'll have a major impact in your matches. Losing streaks are part of the deal. Indeed a playing brake can do wonders. If you have the "forbidden to win" mark on your account (which happens to all of us) it's a good idea to park the game for a while. In a "win prohibition" period it's easy to get frustrated and make more mistakes, inflaming the issue even more. Also: there is nearly always "that 1 ship in a line which you can't make to function, no matter what." Good examples in my case are Yamato (does those AP shells freaking EVER fuse?), Z-52 (could I please have Yamato concealment on this wretched boat?) and more examples.

Shortly put: you're doing fine OP.

Sign in to follow this