Sign in to follow this  
anonym_2hneAFaIyP4T

Detection ranges when smoke firing...

11 comments in this topic

Question

Players
606 posts

Hey

As I understand it, the detection-range bloom after firing in smoke is dependent on your gun calibre and base concealment... but what is the actual formula? Or is there a 'detection range in smoke after firing' stat for each ship and gun module somewhere? I had a look on the wiki and i couldn't see anything that indicated the actual figure/ratio (e.g. 100mm = 3km*[some random concealment co-efficient] bloom, 152mm = 7km*[co-efficient]  or whatever)!?

Also, if firing from behind the smoke screen (not IN it) and the only enemies are the other side of it (or behind islands), is your bloom the 'smoke-firing' bloom or your max gun range?

Many Thanks

10 answers to this question

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, Rusty_9 said:

Hey

As I understand it, the detection-range bloom after firing in smoke is dependent on your gun calibre and base concealment... but what is the actual formula? Or is there a 'detection range in smoke after firing' stat for each ship and gun module somewhere? I had a look on the wiki and i couldn't see anything that indicated the actual figure/ratio (e.g. 100mm = 3km*[some random concealment co-efficient] bloom, 152mm = 7km*[co-efficient]  or whatever)!?

Also, if firing from behind the smoke screen (not IN it) and the only enemies are the other side of it (or behind islands), is your bloom the 'smoke-firing' bloom or your max gun range?

Many Thanks

There's no formula given to us, at least none that I know of

You can see it in port under the Concealment tab, or if you hold H while in battle

And it doesn't matter if you are in smoke or behind it, if the LoS goes through it the spotting distance will be reduced

When this was still on PTS I made a short video showing / explaining it, the quality is absolute garbage but oh well :Smile_teethhappy:

Spoiler

The stupid thing that comes with that, of course, is the ability for stealthy ships (like RN CLs) to sit in their own smokescreen and spot targets for themselves who are outside of the smokescreen (especially BBs and some CAs with terrible concealment values like Moskva).

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,538 posts
9,535 battles

The only way I know of to check it is in the battle by holding down H, and I believe there isn't an actual formula...just a stat as you've said.

16 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

In that case it blooms to the smoke firing range...until someone flanks you anyway.

[XTR3M]
Players
134 posts
9,926 battles

Detection range can be seen on minimap as, every time you shoot your guns, detection range circle expands. Those circles are not passive.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
54 minutes ago, biker_618 said:

Detection range can be seen on minimap as, every time you shoot your guns, detection range circle expands. Those circles are not passive.

But they are not entirely correct either. The circle will always be exactly that - a circle, meanwhile if there is a smokescreen in some direction your detection radius in that direction is shorter than in other directions resulting in a circle with a cut in it

Viw32l7.png

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,868 posts
9,050 battles

Your current detection range can also be seen ingame on the lower right side of your reticle.

shot-18_05.04_21_56.35-0987.jpg.386d1231bb822e8efb00c91cb3b2ed08.jpg

This is a "live" value, i.e. it changes immediatly when something changes.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
57 minutes ago, principat121 said:

Your current detection range can also be seen ingame on the lower right side of your reticle.

shot-18_05.04_21_56.35-0987.jpg.386d1231bb822e8efb00c91cb3b2ed08.jpg

This is a "live" value, i.e. it changes immediatly when something changes.

Same as with the circles on minimap, if you are outside of the smoke it will not show your smoke detection range while that still affects you

1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Viw32l7.png

[TAYTO]
Players
829 posts
8,866 battles

Another option is to use SHIFT and hover the cursor over your ship emblem in the bottom left of the screen. There's a huge amount of info there, really too much to read mid-battle, but it's there.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, DB2212 said:

Another option is to use SHIFT and hover the cursor over your ship emblem in the bottom left of the screen. There's a huge amount of info there, really too much to read mid-battle, but it's there.

Easier to just hold H key, gives you the same info window

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this