You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CptMinia

Fix T10 matchmaking.

18 comments in this topic

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,289 posts
8,976 battles

Well, this is pretty much just going to be another weekend whiney thread. So many games the past few days in T10 in which we just have battleships sticking to the borders of maps, destroyers who refuse to go anywhere near caps and cruisers that just seem to go off on their own and do their own thing... 

Honestly normally I refrain myself from posting these threads but these past couple of months have been so bad I have to wonder, what is WG doing about it? I'm pretty sure they used to say they didn't want people to constantly play Tier10 which is a reason for the low or sometimes impossible profit from T10 games. But these days with the help of flags (which you can now buy for doubloons... heh) permanent camos and premium time, you can even turn a profit while using premium consumables. It also doesn't help that the game has become a competitive ground that welcomes no skill. By that I mean it seems much harder these days to eliminate cruisers or score big hits on enemy battleships. There is no-longer the huge punishment you got for making simple mistakes. I would not encourage the complete banishment of new T9 and T10 players, but I feel like slowing the process of new T9 and T10 players and economically limiting the amount of battles new high-tier players can play is something that should make a return.

Oh, and also if WG could either remove or completely fix the "Sleeping Giants" map, that would be great. Every f****** game is "Lemming to A and all die". It's a campfest on both sides and is no fun whatsoever to play.

[FMP]
Players
76 posts

While it is easy to say, it is hard to achieve. The concept and profit involved with this matter is beyond what we can see, like an iceberg. 

Btw, if you go back to lower tiers, the situation is much the same too...

camping on the edge? Ticked.

DD travelling around the world without looking at the caps? Ticked.

Ships that rushed towards the enemy fleet and get focused down in three minutes? Ticked.

However, because low tier maps are smaller, sometimes players cannot avoid short distance combat, which could contribute to the feeling of a more dynamic game play. I actually think high tier gameplay is better because if you start typing in chat to try to communicate with your team, you will often reach a mutual understanding with them as they know roughly what to do already.

The problem is that sometimes people ignore the importance of communication and just sail the ship and expect others to play as a perfect teammates. 

Overall I think using personal or anecdotal evidence is not a good proof.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,289 posts
8,976 battles
4 minutes ago, Rionage said:

While it is easy to say, it is hard to achieve. The concept and profit involved with this matter is beyond what we can see, like an iceberg. 

Btw, if you go back to lower tiers, the situation is much the same too...

camping on the edge? Ticked.

DD travelling around the world without looking at the caps? Ticked.

Ships that rushed towards the enemy fleet and get focused down in three minutes? Ticked.

However, because low tier maps are smaller, sometimes players cannot avoid short distance combat, which could contribute to the feeling of a more dynamic game play. I actually think high tier gameplay is better because if you start typing in chat to try to communicate with your team, you will often reach a mutual understanding with them as they know roughly what to do already.

The problem is that sometimes people ignore the importance of communication and just sail the ship and expect others to play as a perfect teammates. 

Overall I think using personal or anecdotal evidence is not a good proof.

I agree with you entirely. But it's gotten to the point in which once I'm loaded in the game I will wait about 2-3 minutes before I actually start moving about just to see where I am needed and what I can do. And I also believe it is pretty evident that WG should try and solve this issue, we all know about it and we certainly hear about it every weekend especially. And since WG is trying to improve the matchmaker I would believe they also agree there is enough evidence to try and improve the situation. 

[FMP]
Players
76 posts
1 minute ago, CptMinia said:

I agree with you entirely. But it's gotten to the point in which once I'm loaded in the game I will wait about 2-3 minutes before I actually start moving about just to see where I am needed and what I can do. And I also believe it is pretty evident that WG should try and solve this issue, we all know about it and we certainly hear about it every weekend especially. And since WG is trying to improve the matchmaker I would believe they also agree there is enough evidence to try and improve the situation. 

Try what I do, just before the start of the game and type in chat to make a few interesting or funny comments to relax people and then either ask for their plan or tell them your plan. Usually with a clear direction to follow, they tend to yolo less. 

The problem with pub games is the lack of organisation, and we can start to change the game environment by taking initiative and talk, and even become the leader of your fleet ! This is just a small change, a small step, but everything has to start from somewhere, right? :P

Communication is important but it tends to get ignored so often just because people think they will not see each other again after the game, but there will be no teamplay if no one ever try to set a common goal. A few sentences with basic instructions can be the HOPE for the entire team.

Another trick I use is to point out suspicious teammate movement to the player early, so they have time to either explain their action or to change their course of action in time. There is no point typing and insulting the BB player when he already reached the border of the map, because it will take him another 5 min to sail back into the fight.

If all else fails, I guess I will just go back to port and pick another ship.... lol

[CATS]
Players
28,131 posts
14,900 battles
39 minutes ago, CptMinia said:

Well, this is pretty much just going to be another weekend whiney thread. So many games the past few days in T10 in which we just have battleships sticking to the borders of maps, destroyers who refuse to go anywhere near caps and cruisers that just seem to go off on their own and do their own thing... 

Honestly normally I refrain myself from posting these threads but these past couple of months have been so bad I have to wonder, what is WG doing about it? I'm pretty sure they used to say they didn't want people to constantly play Tier10 which is a reason for the low or sometimes impossible profit from T10 games. But these days with the help of flags (which you can now buy for doubloons... heh) permanent camos and premium time, you can even turn a profit while using premium consumables. It also doesn't help that the game has become a competitive ground that welcomes no skill. By that I mean it seems much harder these days to eliminate cruisers or score big hits on enemy battleships. There is no-longer the huge punishment you got for making simple mistakes. I would not encourage the complete banishment of new T9 and T10 players, but I feel like slowing the process of new T9 and T10 players and economically limiting the amount of battles new high-tier players can play is something that should make a return.

Oh, and also if WG could either remove or completely fix the "Sleeping Giants" map, that would be great. Every f****** game is "Lemming to A and all die". It's a campfest on both sides and is no fun whatsoever to play.

That is a player problem. If people do not want to learn, that is not WG fault.

How can a campfest end in "lemming to A and all die". Either they camp or they push, not both!

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,289 posts
8,976 battles
37 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That is a player problem. If people do not want to learn, that is not WG fault.

How can a campfest end in "lemming to A and all die". Either they camp or they push, not both!

What I mean, is everyone goes A. And then they just sit there and all die... it's boring. It's in my opinion the worst map of the game so far. Apart from old Tears of the Cruiser.... 

Players
150 posts
8,995 battles

how to fix t10.......for new players, increase the xp amount necessary to get t10 by the factor 10, and the credits u need to spend per game by the factor 50.......only the good players would be able to play t10

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
2 hours ago, CptMinia said:
Spoiler

I'm wondering how is potatoes being potatoes a MM issue? :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,131 posts
14,900 battles
1 hour ago, CptMinia said:

What I mean, is everyone goes A. And then they just sit there and all die... it's boring. It's in my opinion the worst map of the game so far. Apart from old Tears of the Cruiser.... 

Looks like there is the deciding battle of the match.

Either you run from the battle resulting in no battle and a loss or you feed your fleet one by one to the enemy, resulting in a loss.

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
6 hours ago, PaxMaggie said:

how to fix t10.......for new players, increase the xp amount necessary to get t10 by the factor 10, and the credits u need to spend per game by the factor 50.......only the good players would be able to play t10

Only unemployed players with too much time in their hands. This has nothing to do with skill.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Players
5,335 posts
35,510 battles
7 hours ago, PaxMaggie said:

for new players, increase the xp amount necessary to get t10

this will lead more potatoes at t10 , and its already horrible there

Players
101 posts
7,040 battles

There is an Old saying "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink it"

As in you can give some people the knowledge and the tools to play as a team and play their ship well but you cannot make them apply those teachings in actual games as they feel their way is best (Camping at the back, Border hugging or anything else less helpful)... :cap_book:

This tends to be those players people see as potatoes or just the ones people get upset with the most. 

Sometimes everyone has one of those games where they do a bad though (Especially Me at times) :fish_palm:

Players
150 posts
8,995 battles

Well.....u cant get rid of the Potatos, u only can reduce t10 players in general, if u want to get rid of the potatos at t10 u have to take their t10 ships.......and that is simply not possible.....

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
17 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

It's just whining about players not playing according to model. It's not contructive criticism in any way. Don't expect whining to be reasonable or even accurate.

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,854 battles
17 hours ago, Rionage said:

Try what I do, just before the start of the game and type in chat to make a few interesting or funny comments to relax people and then either ask for their plan or tell them your plan. Usually with a clear direction to follow, they tend to yolo less. 

The problem with pub games is the lack of organisation, and we can start to change the game environment by taking initiative and talk, and even become the leader of your fleet ! This is just a small change, a small step, but everything has to start from somewhere, right? :P

Communication is important but it tends to get ignored so often just because people think they will not see each other again after the game, but there will be no teamplay if no one ever try to set a common goal. A few sentences with basic instructions can be the HOPE for the entire team.

Another trick I use is to point out suspicious teammate movement to the player early, so they have time to either explain their action or to change their course of action in time. There is no point typing and insulting the BB player when he already reached the border of the map, because it will take him another 5 min to sail back into the fight.

If all else fails, I guess I will just go back to port and pick another ship.... lol

I try similar tactics. I spend the first few moments whilst moving towards caps etc attempting to suggest a strategy and also, time allowing , to explain why. It hardly ever works but when it does it tends to be a roflstomp win. Personally I struggle to understand the lack of teamwork in this game as when it occurs, especially between "randoms", it is one of the most rewarding feelings this game can produce.

Another trick I have developed, which you may or may not wish to try, is to check the team list for enemy radar cruisers and announce in chat at the start that I will award +1 karma point to whoever kills it/them with a bonus point offered for killing hydro DDs. Of course I make sure I stay true to my word and so I often run out of my 11 comps.

[HOO]
Players
1,952 posts
3,780 battles
17 hours ago, PaxMaggie said:

This is not the answer.

To fix bad play at all tiers, the fix really is simple....

.... Don't reward failure. Currently you can play as badly as your incompetence or lack of skill will allow, and you will still progress up the tiers. Only if you don't progress will you learn to play better. There is no incentive at the moment to learn how to play well.

Weekend Tester
1,118 posts
8,551 battles

I've seen and read hundreds of these kind of threads on WoWs and ow WoT forums, and my answer is always mostly the same.

This cannot be fixed.

Why? Simple. There's always going to be potatoes, no matter what you do. Increase XP cost? Eventually people will suck their way through that. Increasing maintenance will just annoy everyone in the long run and the same thing applies here again(suck long enough in low tiers to earn money for a couple of T10 games). This is just a endless loop.

Unless you introduce something like skill based matchmaking(which will not happen) there's no way of solving this issue.