anonym_2hneAFaIyP4T

Cleveland - pre-line-split build

22 comments in this topic

Players
606 posts

Hi captains

TL:DR - what captain+consumable+module build would you recommend for the soon-to-be T8 Cleveland?

Spoiler

I have just unlocked and purchased the Cleveland to take advantage of the upcoming line split.

What modules/consumables are best to purchase/mount that will be most effective when it is up-tiered after the line split (I have a 6pt captain: PT, EM and BFT although I think he'll be staying at T6?)?

It is silver except for the Main Armaments Mod 1 in the first slot so have an 'almost' clean sheet. I never play in divisions so am not sure a full AA build is the way I should go (no CV buddying)... but given the current 'reviews' of the T8 Cleveland make it sound an 'Island humper' , I'm wondering if this (AA) may be the best option? I quite enjoy anti-DD work, and (when circumstances permit) rushing DD smoke with Hydro, but this is based on experience in my Omaha when I had the 'security' of torps. It sounds like secondaries will be quite powerful (for a CL!) but would these pick up most of the 'slack' with the absence of torpedoes for knife-fighting DD's? Are they too situational? Or does doing a full AA spec automatically complement the secondary build and therefore be the best fit? This is sort of getting into captain skills territory too, although they closely relate so I guess you can't answer 1 without the other being considered.

Many Thanks :Smile_honoring:

(Hopefully I haven't misunderstood how the line-split changes are implemented based on the below post!?)

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,866 battles

Main Arm, Steering, AA guns, Propulsion, Concealment

Captain: PT, AR, DE, CE, IFHE, AFT, PM

Maybe switch AR with EM if the turret traverse is bad, I don't know the value yet.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,868 posts
9,050 battles
25 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

So quite the same build as today pre-split. And also a standard CL build.

[HOO]
Players
1,973 posts
3,789 battles

I actually took IFHE as 4pt skill first, it really helps you rack up the damage

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
984 posts

Got EM atm. Hate the slow traverse. Will reskill later. Captain already had that skill.

Players
606 posts

Thanks for this - is pretty much what I was leaning towards :cap_like:

14 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

14 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

I actually took IFHE as 4pt skill first, it really helps you rack up the damage

Interesting - I was looking at this and wondering if I should go CE or IFHE first. I was thinking CE because at T8 with c. 15k range you'll need to be able to disengage a lot, but wasn't sure how 'needed' that IFHE was to do damage (i.e. survival vs. better DPM)? 

Players
3,130 posts
11,222 battles
15 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Maybe switch AR with EM if the turret traverse is bad, I don't know the value yet.

This ^^ I would personally have AR instead of EM but it's a personal choice.  

I also use seconday/AA Arm instead of Main Arm as i don't have the guns knocked out that much.  But again its all personal choice and both are good.

I have to admit that i was being abit of a sadist and had Manuel AA instead of IFHE for a while.  But that was a pure fun build and when div with a fellow CV captain. Melts even teir 9 planes (training).

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
11,222 battles
42 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

Interesting - I was looking at this and wondering if I should go CE or IFHE first. I was thinking CE because at T8 with c. 15k range you'll need to be able to disengage a lot, but wasn't sure how 'needed' that IFHE was to do damage (i.e. survival vs. better DPM)? 

CE would be my first choice.  DD's still get smashed regardless, you still have AP on those lovely broadside cruisers and BB's still burn.  IFHE helps with BB damage but having the ability to hide quicker or pop up before the enemy knows what's going on has help me alot more.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,973 posts
3,789 battles
3 hours ago, Rusty_9 said:

I was thinking about this too. Concealment is only going to work to get you into a good position, or to help you disengage. Once you start shooting you are going to get spotted. I choose IFHE at T6 because I use Cleveland there for Operations. When she moves to T8 that's not going to be the case, and I'm going to have to way up the pros and cons of concealment vs IFHE all over again.

• Cool 1

Players
10,207 posts
11,990 battles

T8 Cleveland have excellent turret traverse (10 degrees/sec, 18s as in tooltip), so AR is no brainer choice. IFHE is more than mandatory at tier 8, so is CE to capitalize on her lolcamo (9.1km maxed, 9km radar). You could throw in AFT for extra AA as well to freely use the same captain in Atlanta, should you have her. So yeah, 18lvl is kinda needed. 14lvl if you don't own Atlanta and/or don't want to use Cleve captain on her.

• Cool 1

Players
606 posts
On 5/22/2018 at 7:58 AM, Redcap375 said:

Someone recommended this build with SE instead of DE - That's another 2.8k of HP (not sure what base HP will be). Combined with AR (works of base HP?) that could be a lot of fun, although losing out on DE might be frustrating with the fire-chance drop on IFHE. How reliant are you on fires to do damage when you have IFHE? Is SE instead of DE a fair trade?

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,866 battles
Vor 33 Minuten, Rusty_9 sagte:

Someone recommended this build with SE instead of DE - That's another 2.8k of HP (not sure what base HP will be). Combined with AR (works of base HP?) that could be a lot of fun, although losing out on DE might be frustrating with the fire-chance drop on IFHE. How reliant are you on fires to do damage when you have IFHE? Is SE instead of DE a fair trade?

SE is never a good choice on anything other than a DD.

With IFHE your alpha damage is great, fires are just a nice bonus.

• Cool 2

Players
3,130 posts
11,222 battles
47 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

SE is never a good choice on anything other than a DD.

With IFHE your alpha damage is great, fires are just a nice bonus.

This ^^

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,113 posts
5,488 battles

DE+IFHE for life. Will be transferring the skipper to the tier 8 the moment the change hits.

[RUFL]
Players
279 posts
5,080 battles

I would say it depends on whether you plan to take the captain up to t9 or t10. In this case you might want to use superintendent, probably at the expense of AFT.

Players
82 posts
31,554 battles

Yes, if the captain will go higher, SI is a must. Actually SI can be useful even on T8 Cleveland, for extra radar.

I'll probably go PT, AR + JoAT, SI + DE, CE + IFHE, with JoAT as last skill. AA range buffed with AA module only - hopefully it'll be enough to get long range AA equal to spot from air.

[RUFL]
Players
279 posts
5,080 battles

After a few games I changed my mind about AFT. Your air detectability is 6.2 km, while without AFT the AA range is 6 km. That does not sound like much but it already prevented my retreat from compromised positions more than once due to spotter planes. I will be definitely going for the full 7.2 km AA range.

Players
2,842 posts
4,792 battles

To be honest, I'm currently running a really "standard" captain of only 10-points: PT, EM, DE, CE. I'm hovering on re-spec because it doesn't need EM (I want AR) but with no points spare I'm debating taking IFHE instead of CE.

A few considerations:

First, I've played a few games in new Cleveland and I can't say I feel I'm lacking damage output against any target. In fact I think the damage is fantastic. Got witherer arsonist one game, and yes I know the argument that fires can be repaired but so can most of straight HE damage. And fires can be left to burn for % damage while you switch targets for even more damage. They are "fire and forget" if you excuse the pun and I don't want to lose that burning ability. Plus the AP is brutal if you need alpha instead and most BBs don't angle against you.

Second, I'm waiting to feel the rudder shift with B hull before I decide which upgrade to take in the last slot, but 3s rudder shift is very much tempting me. Losing CE would more or less force me to take the concealment mod instead.

Third, I played 155 Mogami without IFHE and never felt I needed it.

Fourth, I got IFHE on my Kutuzov but my damage average hasn't really increased and I often get frustrated now with lack of fires.

So yeah, not convinced by this IFHE thing at the moment. Even if I had 14 points I'm unwilling to take the fire chance hit.

Erm... I don't have that meme handy but... persuade me otherwise?

Players
34 posts
9,359 battles

So I shouldn't put SI on Cleveland? What if I don't want to respec, when getting to Worcester? If SI is needed there, should it come instead of DE?

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
984 posts

Putting it in here

I got PT,AR,DE,CE,IFHE

But I'm torn between going for AFT or BFT

If I go for BFT I can get JoAT instead of "just" PM.

Reason for BFT is more daka daka dps. But at the same time I want the daka daka range.

Enlighten me and tell me why I'm wrong here. I just can't decide.

At 16 points now on the captain.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,450 posts
20,570 battles
3 hours ago, siramra said:

Enlighten me and tell me why I'm wrong here. I just can't decide.

AFT is more useful in denying spotting and protecting teammates.

BFT is (possibly) more useful in denying strikes going for you.

I'd take AFT.

• Cool 1