Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrMoonAgain

British CL Cruiser ... we did it all wrong

31 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,761 posts
21,190 battles

This would have been funny, if not for the fact that there are many such experts around...:fish_palm:

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,132 posts
11,146 battles

Well he's not wrong that some RN CL torpedo upgrades are questionable.

Couple thousand xp on the Fiji to gain 400 extra damage and to go from 257% to 265% flood probability? Meh. 

Same deal on the Neptune, only you get 1.2k extra damage, which makes it not a complete waste of money.

• Cool 5

[XODUS]
Players
799 posts
4,868 battles
9 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Couple thousand xp on the Fiji to gain 400 extra damage and to go from 257% to 265% flood probability? Meh. 

Same deal on the Neptune, only you get 1.2k extra damage, which makes it not a complete waste of money.

Agreed some of them are questionable. 

I just bought back the Neptune and i forgot i skipped the torp upgrade 
the upgrade really is a bit MEH especially if you are low on credits as the credit costs is alot for what it is. 

but 10km torps, they are bloody useful and if you don't get within 10km you are doing it wrong :P

[CKBK]
Players
36 posts
34,665 battles
13 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

That is true. But he was in Leander and the difference between 8 vs 6 km torps is huge.

Also his explanation why, shows me that he thinks britsh CL are supposed to be handled like any other cruiser.

He also would probably argue for spotter plane instead of smoke for that reason.

Players
4,549 posts
7,604 battles
Just now, JaiFoh said:

Agreed some of them are questionable. 

I just bought back the Neptune and i forgot i skipped the torp upgrade 
the upgrade really is a bit MEH especially if you are low on credits as the credit costs is alot for what it is. 

but 10km torps, they are bloody useful and if you don't get within 10km you are doing it wrong :P

Doesn't Neptune get 10 km torps as stock?  I know that Edinburgh goes from 8 km to 10 km with the upgrade so I'd be surprised to find that Neptune has stock torpedoes that are worse than hers.

[NWP]
Players
2,991 posts
17,341 battles
3 minutes ago, MrMoonAgain said:

He also would probably argue for spotter plane instead of smoke for that reason.

He's not wrong you know. Spotter plane for extra Teamplay is new meta :cap_tea:

[XODUS]
Players
799 posts
4,868 battles
3 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Doesn't Neptune get 10 km torps as stock?  I know that Edinburgh goes from 8 km to 10 km with the upgrade so I'd be surprised to find that Neptune has stock torpedoes that are worse than hers.

yep
this is the stats from the wiki: 

533 mm Mk IX** 0.6 96 7.2 15,533 62 10   0 1,200,000
533 mm Mk IXM 0.6 96 7.2 16,766 62 10   20,000 1,800,000

no reload buff, no speed increase, no range increase, only 1.2k damage increase and about 5% flood increase chance

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,132 posts
11,146 battles
5 minutes ago, MrMoonAgain said:

That is true. But he was in Leander and the difference between 8 vs 6 km torps is huge.

Also his explanation why, shows me that he thinks britsh CL are supposed to be handled like any other cruiser.

I wasn't really defending his position, as it's clear his grasp on the matter is lacking.
Phenomenally so.

I did vindicate one of the points he (accidentally) made :Smile_teethhappy:

[THESO]
Players
846 posts

I dont care what anyone say, but not researching all modules on ship just makes her grind incomplete in my mind

• Cool 2

Players
2,842 posts
4,793 battles
1 hour ago, Asakka said:

I dont care what anyone say, but not researching all modules on ship just makes her grind incomplete in my mind

My North Carolina doesn't have the gun range upgrade and my Iowa never will either... :Smile-_tongue: I'm not wasting credits on something that doesn't actually improve my ship.

Players
43 posts
3,775 battles

I love my fleet of British Light Cruisers... I've kept them all, from Leander, onwards. I have to get every upgrade, because I couldn't stand the thought of my CL not being quite as good as it could be!

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts

Why would anyone NOT take the torpedo upgrade on the RN CL's? If you have the vaguest idea how to use them, they're very potent weapons fast, long ranged and as hard hitting more or less. The single fire can be very effective and I've killed quite a few with those alone.

• Cool 1

Players
10,213 posts
11,991 battles
1 hour ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Why would anyone NOT take the torpedo upgrade on the RN CL's? If you have the vaguest idea how to use them, they're very potent weapons fast, long ranged and as hard hitting more or less. The single fire can be very effective and I've killed quite a few with those alone.

Because 433 extra torpedo damage might not be worthy 1mil credits, especially if you're in a pinch.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
3 hours ago, Asakka said:

I skip IJN DD range upgrades and I tell you, I do not miss the extra range at all. 8.4 km range is more than enough for a Kagero.

4 hours ago, JaiFoh said:

Torpedoes of any kind are bloody useful on a ship. For a cruiser, 10 km range is pure luxury. That's IJN levels of range. But it's not like you need that kind of range to get results...

Spoiler

Torplanta.thumb.png.1038840905536c5fd074c49ca29fdcd8.png

[UNICS]
Players
1,425 posts
21,779 battles
4 hours ago, Asakka said:

And the FCS upgrade on the bismarck? 

Totally worthless imo

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,240 posts
21,470 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Because 433 extra torpedo damage might not be worthy 1mil credits, especially if you're in a pinch.

1 mil credits... hmmm... how to gain that fast? Ah.. right... play some T5/6 battles instead of throwing credits out of the window at T9/10 :cap_haloween:

Players
10,213 posts
11,991 battles
10 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

1 mil credits... hmmm... how to gain that fast? Ah.. right... play some T5/6 battles instead of throwing credits out of the window at T9/10 :cap_haloween:

Personally I'd simply take tour de premiums, though two-three battles in Missouri would do the trick as well.

Sigh... you said one million, not one tier 10 ship:Smile_facepalm:

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

I skip IJN DD range upgrades and I tell you, I do not miss the extra range at all. 8.4 km range is more than enough for a Kagero.

Odd decision given that the upgraded Kagero torps are faster and inflict more damage.

Players
10,213 posts
11,991 battles
1 minute ago, TigerMoth said:

Odd decision given that the upgraded Kagero torps are faster and inflict more damage.

He meant main battery range upgrade.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
Just now, TigerMoth said:

Not really odd, given the FCS does nothing at all for your torpedoes and it's the only "range" upgrade there is, because stock and upgraded torps have both 10 km range. FCS moves the gun range from 8.6 km to 9.4 km I think. And what do I need that for? 9.4 km still is far too close to not be hit by return fire that gets you at 8.6 km, if you need to hit things you just go closer, if you run into other ships and use guns for self-defence, it's perfectly within range. Really, all that range upgrade does on all IJN DDs that aren't the Akizuki is to make it harder to drop out of visibility range after the opportunistic shot.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,240 posts
21,470 battles
10 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Sigh... you said one million, not one tier 10 ship:Smile_facepalm:

Which probably is the reason why I don't have any financial problems in WoWs. :cap_haloween:

Never had to skip any upgrades, due to having not enough credits...

Sometimes I re-buy some ships, just because I want to play them again or get the number of battles with them to a "proper" number (like: 10,15, 25, 50, 100 etc... instead of 8, 13, 23 etc)

If I had wanted to, I probably could have a T10 for quite a while already - but there is nothing at T10 battles that interests me. I'm in T10 battles often enough with the T8+ ships I have to see, that potatoes do potate as much or worse on T10 than they do at T5/6. So why bother? Especially, if it only helps to make you lose money :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
10 minutes ago, Panocek said:

He meant main battery range upgrade.

Ahh, he is on about the FCS. I thought he was on about the upgraded torps.

[FMP]
Players
76 posts

Tbh, it depends on ship tier and personal perspective. 

RN torps are quite situational and some people skip it because they just want to grind to the next ship faster. 

I think the discussion just got out of control in the end and both of you are right. It is just down to personal preference.

Sign in to follow this