Sign in to follow this  
LuckySkilled

Neptune

25 comments in this topic

Players
34 posts
9,386 battles

So in Edinburgh I had a WR of 57%, which is really high for me. I think I played it "right", just like the Fiji.
However, I recently bought the Neptune and I can't get it to win: currently 5 wins - 15 losses (could've been worse)

Yet I still play in the same way: mainly smoking up near caps, getting pretty high damages

I've watched a video of Flamu already, but are there any other things I have to change in comparison to Edinburgh or is this just pure bad luck?

Thanks in advance

[CATS]
Players
28,241 posts
14,929 battles

Gameplay changes a bit. You are more often on the high Tier maps, which a quite open and bigger. That is hard on a cruiser that needs cover and close distances.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,776 posts
21,243 battles
11 minutes ago, LuckySkilled said:

Yet I still play in the same way: mainly smoking up near caps,

This is your problem right here. Neptune has the highest smoke firing detection in the whole RN CL line. You pull the trigger and the bloom goes to 6.6km, that's more than the concealment of many DDs at T9.

You want to hide behind islands away from the caps and when you smoke up do it more than 10km away from radar ships.

Neptune has been nerfed hard by the smoke changes, so you have to play the ship in an extra guarded mode.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,133 posts
11,146 battles

Neptune also becomes a much, MUCH more dangerous target to leave alone.
I don't recall people shooting me in smoke while there were spotted broadside BBs closer to them in the Edin, but it happens often enough to not be a surprise anymore in the Neptune.

I think your issue is just a slight adjustment period over a ship that's suddenly less flexible with less concealment and a higher "must kill" profile, all while meeting more ships that have more/bigger guns with more accuracy.

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,421 posts
4,397 battles

On a semi-related note: since the smoke det is so big, how viable is the idea of a radar Neptune instead? 

[FU5O]
Players
74 posts
15,590 battles
On 21.5.2018 at 3:45 PM, piritskenyer said:

On a semi-related note: since the smoke det is so big, how viable is the idea of a radar Neptune instead? 

I'd say not viable. The ship is large, think of floating citadel like Kirov, and feels clumsy on braking/acceleration. The second a neptune is spotted, EVERY red team gun turns and wants to kill it. Stay 10-12 km away from targets and throw hundreds of shells and dozens of torpedos from smoke. 70% of my games are good.. 30% absolute disaster where Nep is wiped out in the first salvo from some random bb. Strange ship, thats for sure.

• Cool 1

[DDGR]
Players
38 posts
7,682 battles

my stats were quite the opposite. 60-70% horrible, 30-40% good games :)

problem are DDs that sneak onto you when sitting in smoke and quite detecting you. once this happens due to slow acceleration/turn it is a matter of seconds before you get focused deleted by enemy team. Another issue is when firing from smoke, even outside of detection range, the rapid firing shows off your position to enemy and makes it quite easy for them to blind shot on your approx. position and eventually score a lucky kill, which actually happens much too often. The trick is not showing your broadside while in smoke and constantly moving, but then again, your dpm goes 50% down when using only front turrets...

The only safe position for this lady is really behind an island... :)

[WONLY]
Players
427 posts

Just play more passive. You can't make big plays in the beginning of a match due to radar threats and the bad smoke fire detection range. Wait for a opportunity to rush down a DD or wait until the ships are more spread out and you can lower the distance and find a good spot to smoke.

[WTFNO]
Players
133 posts

I tried different approaches and then just gave up, freeXP'd to the Minotaur and never looked back. Neptune was my least favorite ship in the RN CL line.

• Cool 2

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,295 battles
3 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

I tried different approaches and then just gave up, freeXP'd to the Minotaur and never looked back. Neptune was my least favorite ship in the RN CL line.

Same. It felt very clumsy in comparison. Minotaur is loads better.

[DDGR]
Players
38 posts
7,682 battles

I gave up on the entire RN line. Don't want to risk my credits and freeXP with Minotaur that although for sure is better, still requires similar situational gameplay I don't feel comfortable with

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,776 posts
21,243 battles
20 hours ago, ScoutMkoll said:

16 hours ago, Xevious_Red said:

Same. It felt very clumsy in comparison. Minotaur is loads better.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will also be my opinion after i reach Minotaur. Neptune is really big and with the high detection in smoke requires me to be very cautious, when in other RN CLs I can get closer without risking much.

But I don't want to fXP the ship. I'm not in a hurry to get to Mino.

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,295 battles
57 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that this will also be my opinion after i reach Minotaur. Neptune is really big and with the high detection in smoke requires me to be very cautious, when in other RN CLs I can get closer without risking much.

But I don't want to fXP the ship. I'm not in a hurry to get to Mino.

Minotaur gains the rate of fire to allow you to machine gun things down, the decreased smoke firing penalty making smoke firing more comfortable, and the lower dection range so you can more easily get to where you need undetected.

These combine to make it just better

[ALYEN]
Players
1,906 posts
3,936 battles

Did your survivability change compared to the Edin/Fiji ? Because winrate does not directly correlate to surivability (my average WR is about 10% higher than my survivability) :-)))

Players
34 posts
9,386 battles

Well, currently I'm already up to 50% WR, it's a decent ship actually. You just need mountains unlike Edin for extra protection

Players
66 posts
8,455 battles

I had a hard time getting to Edin to work for me ... But i kept on playing and playing and playing etc etc etc .. and eventually, i got "somewhat" skilled with it, learning it's weaknesses and strengths.

When i got to the Neptuna fish ... It was the same all over .. play play play play and adapt, and you will get skilled with it in the end :D

Don't give up ... and forget about W/L rates ... Have fun instead ;-) 

[DDGR]
Players
38 posts
7,682 battles
19 hours ago, Fluesmaekkeren said:

I had a hard time getting to Edin to work for me ... But i kept on playing and playing and playing etc etc etc .. and eventually, i got "somewhat" skilled with it, learning it's weaknesses and strengths.

When i got to the Neptuna fish ... It was the same all over .. play play play play and adapt, and you will get skilled with it in the end :D

Don't give up ... and forget about W/L rates ... Have fun instead ;-) 

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better

Samuel Beckett

but since failing (i.e. being deleted too soon and too often, while also loosing significant amount of credits in the process), is not considered fun in my dictionary I quitted and sold the damn thing :)

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

W. C. Fields

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,223 battles

This morning I just finished with Edinburgh, and after a long while of hesitation, I finally decided to buy Neptune.

I like the guns. They seem to do more damage than Edinburgh's (my only complaint about Edinburgh actually, I liked the ship a lot), but holy crap Neptune is made of wet tissue paper.

shot-18_06.24_17_32.52-0578.thumb.jpg.6e16d2d4aec1eb9e18afed3d758cd7ac.jpg

1 salvo by Conqueror HE, 26k damage. The Bismarck salvo is not strange , as he caught me broadside when I was trying desperately to reach cover, and fired AP. survived thanks to the massive heal, but I still think  this ship would be better with a decent armour and less heal. Edinburgh seemed like a battleship compared to that.

[DDGR]
Players
38 posts
7,682 battles
21 hours ago, JapLance said:

This morning I just finished with Edinburgh, and after a long while of hesitation, I finally decided to buy Neptune.

I like the guns. They seem to do more damage than Edinburgh's (my only complaint about Edinburgh actually, I liked the ship a lot), but holy crap Neptune is made of wet tissue paper.

shot-18_06.24_17_32.52-0578.thumb.jpg.6e16d2d4aec1eb9e18afed3d758cd7ac.jpg

1 salvo by Conqueror HE, 26k damage. The Bismarck salvo is not strange , as he caught me broadside when I was trying desperately to reach cover, and fired AP. survived thanks to the massive heal, but I still think  this ship would be better with a decent armour and less heal. Edinburgh seemed like a battleship compared to that.

exactly. combine this with its awful maneuverability, hardly sufficient to dodge anything and you are up for a lot of frustration...

Smoke yes, but with very, very, very careful positioning otherwise it is a death trap.

• Cool 1

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,567 posts
18,223 battles

New record: 39K from a single salvo by a Republique.

As soon as you are forced to leave your smoke, you're dead. This ship is pure rubbish except in very specific games where a decent team can keep the enemy at bay, and cap and do "normal" stuff. With the usual bunch of cowards, enemy charges you, with luck you can put a few torps and die in the smoke, or you may try to run and die outside of the smoke.

This line is dead for me.

Players
66 posts
8,455 battles

Don't give up ...

Eventually when played the right way, you will learn it's strengths and weaknesses ;-.D

I've had 93 battles in total with Neptune, where 85 of them unlocked the Minotaur.

IMG_4123.thumb.JPG.2dfd14c1d21c40aac5efe1d4705f389c.JPG

Players
205 posts
5,313 battles

I'm feeling this pain.. 28% win rate at the moment.. really struggling with the Neptune, the amount of Shatters and Bounces are disheartening, if anything is chasing you down, you bounce a huge %  shell of cruisers bow..she a nightmare for stopping, hard work to get moving again, and even with a rudder upgrade, it turns very slow compared to the Edinburgh and Fiji .. I don't think i've had a game where i've earned any credits.. I think my account is screwed... lol (yes its premium)

Even with 100k+ Damage 3 kills.. 1400 XP and i was still -40k ... in 15 games i've lost 600k credits.. my Div mate was in a Des Moines and did 150k damage no kills .. got  475k credits.. 

Im not gonna give up those.. just hope the Minotaur is worth it :) 

InkedNep23455246457_LI.thumb.jpg.badf8f3b19b2289db9556f7ea9ae24a5.jpg

[A-T-G]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
89 posts
13,911 battles

Totally understand OP.

My experience with Neptune is:

• I love to see it in the other team when I'm playing a BB :)
  • I hate playing it when I'm in range of ennemy BBs or Tier X cruisers for the matter

The ammo is a joke. I can't recall playing any ship so far that get's shreaded so fast. So yes, need to play behing islands and hope your team can keep ennemy at bay.

Only reason I'm still playing it is because of the Minotaur.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,800 posts
6,857 battles

I had trouble with the Neptune - ended up free xp'ing to Mino, which is well worth it :)

Sign in to follow this