You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dc_79

Fire quick grab the hose!!

22 comments in this topic

Players
15 posts
927 battles

So I have come to the point where I am fairly tired of HE spam and fires, so my question is would specing my captain for the fire prevention be any help? Or are the other skills more useful?

Thanks for any advice given.

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
3,261 posts
12,813 battles

Yes, probably. What ship is your captain stationed on?

Reduction of cooldown time for Damage control is also useful and you should equip premium Damage Control consumable - this you can equip for in game credits.

If you're on a bb, never damage control a single fire.

For modules you can equip reduction of time for fires I believe and you probably could take a look at some flags too.

Players
31 posts
3,589 battles

So it seems to me that you are a dedicated BB player. In BBs, I'd absolutely recommend a tank build, which means take fire prevention + basics of survivability (also Concealment Expert if you've got the points), also use the fire reduction flag + module + Premium Damacon, you'll reduce fire damage to the extreme.

But even this build won't help you if you always extinguish the first fire, rule of thumb (in a BB) would be to extinguish two fires, since it's damage you can heal anyway. If you're getting spammed to death, try to disengage before you damacon ;)

Good luck out there!

[PONY]
[PONY]
Beta Tester
4,510 posts
7,594 battles

Specing your Captain can be a help, but the help is limited. Perhaps someone can help you, how to counter fires on your ship. BBs as example can fully health the damage done by fire (only by fire, not by the shell hits) so it makes no sense to disdinguish the first fire as fast as possible. My english skills are limited, so i cant really help you enough.

• Cool 1

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

You will always get HE spam and fires but fire prevention can help if you see them as a big problem.

Since you are a less experienced player: management of your DCP and repair party as well as positioning is also very important. Don't use your DCP on just one fire, use repair party instead to heal most of it with an equal speed as you get damaged. Use DCP when you get two or more fires at once. (Might depend on the exact battle situation, though). And don't get focused by too many ships firing HE by using cover to minimize the angles of possible incoming fire. Also no straight sailing.

Players
63 posts
7,091 battles

Fire Prevention is, together with Basics of Survivability, one of the prime skills that is usually taken for survivability oriented builds on battleships and high health cruisers (e.g. Hindenburg and Moskva).

Basically, if you are in a BB and want to adjust your build to keep your guns aflot longer, FP/BoS are both easy choices.

As already mentioned by others: Your fire extinguishing behaviour, upgrades and signal choice will have a huge impact as well, so keep that in mind too.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,144 posts
11,248 battles

BB player endures constant fire damage and asks for advice rather than calling for a nerf to HE? What is this sorcery?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
37 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

BB player endures constant fire damage and asks for advice rather than calling for a nerf to HE? What is this sorcery?

New 2018 meta

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,728 posts
9,234 battles
12 minutes ago, lup3s said:

New 2018 meta

49 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

Year of the CA confirmed.

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,858 posts
10,066 battles

Fireprevention is very useful (even though I rarely use it myself, but that's because I'm a nutjob who goes for themed builds and need my skillpoints elsewhere).

On battleships it's typically a good pick, because it decreases the number of fire sources on your ship by one. The actual benefit is even better though, since it merges the two midships fire sources which is where most people slinging HE at you will aim for, so the effective amount of fire negation is greater for as long as people don't get lucky or specifically target the front and aft section to set additional fires. You can mostly ignore the actual fire chance decrease because the way the math rolls, the difference is negligible (nice to have, but nothing noticable on a match to match basis).

Together with Basics of Survability (-15% to fire and flooding duration), Damage Control Modification 2 (again decreased DoT duration) and signal flags you can spec a ship for a very high fire endurance. You'll still be set on fire, but it won't be chipping away at your health quite as much as it does without those skills, upgrades, etc. and you should be able to manage a comfortable HP equilibrium just healing the fire damage back with your Repair Party consumable (as fire damage is light damage, ergo can be healed back 100%).

[NED]
Players
1,680 posts
6,316 battles

The skill also reduces the amount of firest your ship can have from 4 to 3 so that can be a lifesaver and the time reduction that it lasts is just a sweet extra.

Players
4,611 posts
5,708 battles
11 minutes ago, piet11111 said:

The skill also reduces the amount of firest your ship can have from 4 to 3 so that can be a lifesaver and the time reduction that it lasts is just a sweet extra.

FP doesn't reduce the time fires tick, that is BoS, Damage Control Mod 2 or the flag. Damage Control Mod 1 and the FP skill reduce the fire chance, so it is harder for the ship to catch on fire in the first place.

5 hours ago, Tungstonid said:

You will always get HE spam and fires but fire prevention can help if you see them as a big problem.

Since you are a less experienced player: management of your DCP and repair party as well as positioning is also very important. Don't use your DCP on just one fire, use repair party instead to heal most of it with an equal speed as you get damaged. Use DCP when you get two or more fires at once. (Might depend on the exact battle situation, though). And don't get focused by too many ships firing HE by using cover to minimize the angles of possible incoming fire. Also no straight sailing.

On this, please do not use the repair party to counteract a single fire if you specced into full survivability. Fires actually will deal less damage than your repair party gets back (especially with repair flag) and you'll basically waste recovery potential. I'd recommend letting the single fire or even a double fire burn (at full anti-fire spec, together they deal slightly more than one fire deals normally) and only popping repair party once you lost about a third or so of your hp and you get your full potential out of repair party. Typically, a BB has enough hp to still not be an instant kill, if you don't show broadside and if you have Adrenaline Rush, you can enjoy that. Use damage control to put out fires only if you are no longer being HE spammed and can expect to not eat a torpedo or more HE spam for a minute. It's not really a hard rule to say extinguish at x fires, because if you get spammed by three HE flinging cruisers and a RN BB, putting out even 3 fires is just going to save you until the next salvos come in. At that point, it is better to just try to bail as fast as possible and extinguish only once out or if hp runs critically low. If you died there, damage control discipline wouldn't save you, learning to not overextend does.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

I'd recommend letting the single fire or even a double fire burn (at full anti-fire spec, together they deal slightly more than one fire deals normally) and only popping repair party once you lost about a third or so of your hp and you get your full potential out of repair party. Typically, a BB has enough hp to still not be an instant kill, if you don't show broadside and if you have Adrenaline Rush, you can enjoy that.

Solid advice.

Especially for DDs .. I took a torp and gunfight with my Shima once, surviving with only ~20hp. AR boost ftw ! :Smile_trollface:

Players
4,611 posts
5,708 battles
3 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Solid advice.

Especially for DDs .. I took a torp and gunfight with my Shima once, surviving with only ~20hp. AR boost ftw ! :Smile_trollface:

Some of the funniest matches I had in the Shchors were me getting reduced to double or triple digit hp values in the first few minutes, then sitting behind islands, using the insane dpm to burn down BBs that couldn't see me.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
4 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

giphy.gif.2cbfe5a1a180235fa5a19c0a7fcd85c2.gif

I wonder if letting them play the Oktobership would teach them a thing or two .. :cap_hmm:

Imagine having no DCPs left after 2 minutes of battle ..

(btw completely off-topic, but we played with your friend ArgoSax last night :cap_haloween:)

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,580 posts
13,490 battles
3 minutes ago, lup3s said:

(btw completely off-topic, but we played with your friend ArgoSax last night :cap_haloween:)

Poor guy. Hope you where nice. Haha

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,310 posts
11,020 battles
Just now, MortenTardo said:

Poor guy. Hope you where nice. Haha

Aren't we always ?

He's one of your bestest friends after all :Smile_trollface:

[SCRUB]
Players
1,580 posts
13,490 battles
1 minute ago, lup3s said:

Aren't we always ?

He's one of your bestest friends after all :Smile_trollface:

You are never! :) 

Is he now? Do i have to leave the country? :Smile_hiding: :Smile_teethhappy:

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,018 battles
12 hours ago, dc_79 said:

So I have come to the point where I am fairly tired of HE spam and fires, so my question is would specing my captain for the fire prevention be any help? Or are the other skills more useful?

Thanks for any advice given.

As a BB you will be on fire almost always. Good thing to remember is that "one fire doesn't really hurt" - you don't need to repair it immediately. Just 1 heal will actually heal more than that 1 fire will do, and you can heal 100% of the dmg that the fire is doing to you.

Everything about build has already been mentioned, so I'm not going to go into a long explanation of what's there for what (unless you want me to :Smile_teethhappy:)

11 hours ago, Erga_Buzerga said:

which means take fire prevention + basics of survivability (also Concealment Expert if you've got the points)

CE always goes before those others. CE at 10pt, FP at 14pt or 17pt depending on when you are taking BoS (I mean, you could have went BoS at 6pt if you don't tend to run out of heals on a regular basis :cap_yes: )

4 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

giphy.gif.2cbfe5a1a180235fa5a19c0a7fcd85c2.gif

When you have 3 fires, a flooding and 2 knocked out turrets, but your R will be off the cooldown in 3....2....1.... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1