Sign in to follow this  
VC381

Atago rudder... WTF?

9 comments in this topic

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

I'd like to think I'm not normally one to start tin-foil hat whine threads but this is really getting to me. 5 Atago games today... 6 rudder incapacitations. One was from a single DD shell hit! And I had quite a few earlier in the week as well. In fact, this is AFTER I quipped the steering gear survivability module in the second slot, after a wave of similar rudder incapacitations a few weeks ago. No other cruiser loses the rudder this often. What's going on with Atago rudder? :Smile_sad::Smile_amazed:

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,094 posts
8,458 battles

It has always been laughably weak. I also run with the basic rudder module and most shots that land in the rear section will often damage the rudder or increase the chance of it breaking. 

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles

In ~300 games, I don't remember the rudder to be any weaker than the avrage. Certainly not as weak as some of the french cruisers. I just checked in game, and I don't have the steering survivability module mounted. 

I mean I get the rudder disabled now and again, but not enough to raise an eyebrow.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

I'm telling you. Every. Single. Game. Yesterday. Twice in one of them. I'm pretty sure every other game on average for the last 2 weeks or so.

Well, that captain is at 18 points with only 17 spent. I was at a loss regarding what to spend those last 2 points on, but I guess now I know exactly where they're going when he hits 19. Last Stand on a cruiser :Smile_facepalm: I love you Atago but look what you're making me do!

I guess LS on Zao might be handy, or does it not share this issue?

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles

Yeah, i tends to break a lot.

I storngly advice running Last Stand on Atago.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,094 posts
8,458 battles
2 hours ago, VC381 said:

I guess LS on Zao might be handy, or does it not share this issue?

In my experince it does not. Citadel hits tend to insta break the engine but the rudder is much more sturdy (well the Zao in general is by far the most tanky IJN cruiser, altough for its tier the Myoko is also pretty sturdy).

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles
1 hour ago, ollonborre said:

In my experince it does not. Citadel hits tend to insta break the engine but the rudder is much more sturdy (well the Zao in general is by far the most tanky IJN cruiser, altough for its tier the Myoko is also pretty sturdy).

Well, I had 3 points spare in my captain build and no idea what to spend them on. I got EL for one, may as well through the other 2 at LS since nothing else seems worth it.

EDIT: also that would make my first and only 19 point captain viable in DDs, so I can use IJN premium DDs to farm elite captain XP.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts

IJN cruisers in general tend to take rudder incaps as though WG explicitly designed that to be the gimmick of the line. This may be due to some of them having armoured rudder control rooms, leading to penetrations instead of overpens. The only ship this feature is actually visible on is Ibuki, but I suspect the others may have internal armour. It's also possible that since these ships were overengineered to maintain destroyer speeds while carrying heavier armour and armament than normal, that the propulsion related spaces are simply larger than on other cruisers, and so more likely to be hit.

Beta Tester
16 posts
6,061 battles

Yep I’ve had a few rudder hits in my Atago...I’ve even taken a citade from a single shell coming up my back side...one shell, smh.  I still love her though.  Love getting in close, setting some one on fire and then ninja vanish, all at 9.2 km...lol. 

Sign in to follow this