Fiery_Kathy

My short guide to "how to play Yamato"

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles

Introduction

Hello!

This is my fourth guide in my "how to" series. 
Links to my other guides:
-> How to play Großer Kurfürst
-> General guide on how to play Battleships
-> How to play Montana

Today I'll write about the oldest tier 10 Battleship in World of Warships: Yamato.
A Battleship which has definitely been hit by "power creep" so to say, but it still holds its place as a extremely valuable tool for area denial.
I'm making this guide with help from people of |OP| and people like @strangers123 (although Strangers absolutely dislikes the ship)

shot-18_05.19_14_59.55-0577.thumb.jpg.d46aa2c728e374e23638fbbf456c86f9.jpg

Captain's Skillbuild

As I said earlier Yamato is a ship that has greatly changed over the lifetime of this game.
While the older builds often recommend a secondary based build, this is definitely not a thing you'd want to do now.
There are 2 builds that I would see as usable, an AA build (questionable/very situational) and a tanky build. 

Personally I'd recommend using the tanky build since the AA  build totally doesn't play in the Yamato's strength.

Knipsel.thumb.PNG.9be41368d699746bc0a458a288549a49.PNG
Preventive Maintenance is there to avoid your turrets getting destroyed.
While Yamato turrets are really tanky it does help, since your turrets turn so slowly it's likely that they will get hit in the side while turning. 
Direction center for catapult aircraft could be picked for extra torpedo spotting but I personally prefer having my main battery guns not break on me in combat, but it's up to personal preference.
In the contrary Expert Marksman is a MUST HAVE on the Yamato, if you are going for the reload upgrade on your ship your gun turret traverse will slow down to a whopping 82 seconds (for a 180° turn) if you wouldn't use the Expert Marksman skill.
While using it will bring that back down to 62 seconds (note that Isoroku Yamamoto is being tested with enhanced expert marksman making this even more valuable)
Adrenaline Rush will help to increase your DPM (Damage per minute) once your hp goes lower (thrust me, it will). This will make you incredibly dangerous since your reload will drop down to +-23 seconds when you are at 50% HP.

Basics of Survivability, a mainstay in tank builds, is a skill that will decrease fire and flooding duration, which is incredibly useful given that Yamato will be the focus of many cruisers.

Superintendent will give you an extra heal which obviously helps in prolonged games, giving you an extra batch of repairable HP.

Fire Prevention does the same as Basics of Survivability in helping you survive HE focused fire, it limits the max number of fires you can have on your ship, making the 2 most easy to hit fire zones into one big zone (the front and back of the midships)

Concealment Expert is a skill I use on all my Battleships because it is just so valuable, it allows you to disengage and heal back up (in most cases). It can greatly stretch your lifetime in a battle where you are being pushed.

Ship Upgrades
Slot 1

1.thumb.PNG.99cc14489f6ee99bc9141ef59b984d8f.PNG
Slot 2

2.thumb.PNG.57405fb46e3cd73d6deb99de938ae1e6.PNG
Slot 3

upgrade3.thumb.PNG.d3034e442cf3618d0ccd9a2458146719.PNG

Slot 4

4.1.thumb.PNG.442a86ea5e348b078947ae90119c758c.PNG

Or for Manoeuvrability (Which I prefer)
4.2.thumb.PNG.4eba6e6f54ddad942446c9640636d35b.PNG

Slot 5

5.thumb.PNG.5b97c58248d18af08d7c1179d5e5f80f.PNG
Slot 6
6.2.thumb.PNG.05d3ea654c3e9bb087078ce7dddb245e.PNG

Slot 4 is really the only one of these upgrades that could be disputed. While Damage Control System 2 is very useful for tanking, I do prefer Steering gears mod 2 to help your ship turn.
Yamato really needs to be able to turn to avoid exposing it's weak frontal citadel which I'll talk more in detail about in the next point.

General Playstyle

Yamato is as I said one of the older Battleships in the game and it does show. Compared to all her tier 10 counterparts she still has a very easy to hit citadel because it sits quite high in the water.
The octagonal shape of her citadel also makes it so that Yamato can get quite easily citadelled even when angled. 
In the picture below I indicated what I am talking about with a blue line.
When Yamato is angling like this, that panel sits at a flat angle compared to you, making it easy to penetrate given that you are in a Battleship are ship with a high enough calibre to do so.
This is why I prefer the stearing gears modification over the damage control, it allows you to more easily hide this weakness.
Because when you are sitting completely bow on to an enemy Battleship, the only other Battleship that is able to penetrate your hull is another Yamato.
shot-18_05.19_15_00.34-0531.thumb.jpg.81a2c24769b92716def1e2cff93e1842.jpg

For it's play style Yamato greatly depends on her massive guns, but these also limit her in some points.
Yamato is great at denying complete areas of the map by sitting bow on and stopping enemy battleships from pushing into her, this will make her a priority target of most cruisers, hence why I recommend using the tank build.
It is better to wait out the first few minutes of the battle to see where you are most needed, the thing you do need to keep in mind is that you need support.
Yamato is a Battleship that works incredibly poorly when unsupported and has great difficulties getting out of harms way unlike Montana or Kurfürst who can more easily turn around. 
Unlike these ships Yamato doesn't have a lot of firepower in the back of the ship and is also relatively slow.
You should see Yamato more as a fortress, once it sits somewhere where it has secured its flanks, it is incredibly hard to dislodge her from her position.
Her 460mm guns can overmatch the bows of all enemy battleships that could come to assault her, making pushes against her not an easy task at all.
Carriers and destroyers will be a pain to deal with as they can launch attacks from angles that Yamato has a hard time defending, although her very impressive torpedo bulge will definitely take a lot of the sting out of torpedoes. 

Try to keep the enemy in front of you while withering them down and push when your team is ready. 

Whatever you do, don't brawl, your slow turret traverse will make it very hard to track enemies, even battleships at close range, on top of that your number 2 turret cant aim down over your first turret at short range, diminishing your damage even more.
And when enemy battleships get around you and get you angled they will start reliably citadelling you in the spot that I mentioned before.
What you should do when the enemy starts pushing in is trying to back off by putting your ship in reverse, this will give you more time to deal as much damage as possible. When you know you are going down, taking someone with you with a ram could also be an option you are willing to take. Try not to use your back turret when you are closer than 15 km unless the enemy really isn't paying attention.
When you are able to use your back turret, this also means that you expose that weak spot in your citadel. (you basically need to outweigh your risks and rewards)

On top of this try to stick to targets that are in front of your guns, thanks to the very slow turret rotation you will lose a lot of time if you switch targets very often.

In short: Don't give broadside, get a good position with your flanks relatively secure (preferably close to your own destroyers for support), unload accurate 460mm shells until your ship runs out of hp or you need to start pushing, try to limit turning your guns, do not brawl and don't forget that your citadel has a weird shape.

Outro
As all my other guides I will try to keep updating these, if you have any points you would like to see added, please do leave them in the comments.
Feedback is always appreciated and I will try to implement it as soon as possible.

Have a nice day!

Kathy. 

• Cool 9

[FOF]
Players
39 posts
10,490 battles

As I love my Yamato, and I am doing quite well in her (125k avg) I'd like to share one more trick I like to use. When pushing up to an Island, turn behind it so your bow faces away from the enemy, and angle so that you can barely get your front turrets on the enemys on your flank able to citadel you. In this postition you can use all 9 guns, while most players have a really hard time hitting your octagonal citadel in the back. Switching speeds and alternating forward/backwards helps aswell to throw off their aim.

This position also greatly helps you to disengage, should there be need to.

-Chimanski

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles
3 minutes ago, Chimanski said:

As I love my Yamato, and I am doing quite well in her (125k avg) I'd like to share one more trick I like to use. When pushing up to an Island, turn behind it so your bow faces away from the enemy, and angle so that you can barely get your front turrets on the enemys on your flank able to citadel you. In this postition you can use all 9 guns, while most players have a really hard time hitting your octagonal citadel in the back. Switching speeds and alternating forward/backwards helps aswell to throw off their aim.

This position also greatly helps you to disengage, should there be need to.

-Chimanski

problem is that the rear of your ships isnt as angled as the front of your ship. 

[FOF]
Players
39 posts
10,490 battles
Just now, Nishikino__Maki said:

problem is that the rear of your ships isnt as angled as the front of your ship. 

True, but as long as you dont stay totally stationarry its near impossible to hit that not quite as well rounded part.

And should the enemy get close enough to shoot that precise you have already startet kiting away. 

I used that technique in countless randoms,  ranked games, CW and even some T10 competitive matches. And until now the ability to use all 9 guns always outweightet the slightly larger dmg income compared to full bow in

• Cool 1

[ARYA]
Players
502 posts
12,292 battles

What about using PT instead of PM? Im using it on all BBs and cruisers . I think it is useful to know when a DD torped you

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles
3 hours ago, Atorpad said:

What about using PT instead of PM? Im using it on all BBs and cruisers . I think it is useful to know when a DD torped you

my reasoning is that if you are in a BB that you are going to get focused anyway so taking PT will just tell you how many people are shooting at you instead of giving you and advantage by not getting your guns killed :) 

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,322 battles
29 minutes ago, Nishikino__Maki said:

my reasoning is that if you are in a BB that you are going to get focused anyway so taking PT will just tell you how many people are shooting at you instead of giving you and advantage by not getting your guns killed :) 

This. As a BB always expect to be shot at, and making sure you don't lose your guns tends to be more important that knowing that "3 people are looking at you"

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:

This. As a BB always expect to be shot at, and making sure you don't lose your guns tends to be more important that knowing that "3 people are looking at you"

In yamato its more like 6 people actively hating you but ye :)

[NED]
Players
4,347 posts
11,982 battles

In my case my even shorter guide to play this boat: don't.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles

I need to edit this guide. Since they buffed turret traverse and added the legendary module it has jumped back to being my favourite Battleship. 

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,307 battles

Would this guide apply to musashi too? Citadel shape, hull angles, i know they are sister ships but i wonder if they made them identical in wows too...

There are some differences like secondary turrets and aa mounts but dont know if devs went beyond that.

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles
2 minutes ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Would this guide apply to musashi too? Citadel shape, hull angles, i know they are sister ships but i wonder if they made them identical in wows too...

There are some differences like secondary turrets and aa mounts but dont know if devs went beyond that.

they are the same. Musashi is a yamato with worse accuracy and very limited AA. Armour and citadel are identical 

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,307 battles
1 minute ago, Fiery_Kathy said:

they are the same. Musashi is a yamato with worse accuracy and very limited AA. Armour and citadel are identical 

Well that was quick reply :)

thx. I noticed taking a lot of dmg under angle where i thought i was safe. This explaines it. Must change my build since what i run doesnt pay out. 

Thx again, will modify and try it out.

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles
15 minutes ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Well that was quick reply :)

thx. I noticed taking a lot of dmg under angle where i thought i was safe. This explaines it. Must change my build since what i run doesnt pay out. 

Thx again, will modify and try it out.

people who know where to aim will consistently citadel yamato/musashi. Keep in mind that the citadel has the same shape from behind so people can [edited]-cheek citadel you too? 

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,307 battles

Well i dont like ppl messing with my EDITED cheeks. I dont like them arround my EDIT at all. Thx for the warning, even if i have to backout i do it going into reverse, not by showing my EDIT. But for a tier 10 bb this looks a bit too fragile. Or GK spoiled me way too much.

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles
11 minutes ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Well i dont like ppl messing with my EDITED cheeks. I dont like them arround my EDIT at all. Thx for the warning, even if i have to backout i do it going into reverse, not by showing my EDIT. But for a tier 10 bb this looks a bit too fragile. Or GK spoiled me way too much.

GK is the most tanky of all BBs but Yamato has the better guns. (once you get them on target) 

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,307 battles

Accuracy wise i find GK amazing. Lower alpha and pen values than yamato tho. I dont actualy own yamato dropped the line at fuso, too much painful experience. Thats why i went for musashi, to give me that yamato flavor. To see is yamato worth it. Got Nelson too to prepare myself for izumo turret layout but i still cant bring myself to push the line to the end. I dont want to get into fuso seat ever again. Just too much pain in my EDIT.

I will try to master musashi using ur guide as a focus. Altho i would like to keep secondary power since its helpful. Dunno if that is going to be possible if tanky build is a must to perform in musashi. I find i die way too much atm.

Beta Tester
1,022 posts
3,822 battles
34 minutes ago, CPL_Sivi said:

Accuracy wise i find GK amazing. Lower alpha and pen values than yamato tho. I dont actualy own yamato dropped the line at fuso, too much painful experience. Thats why i went for musashi, to give me that yamato flavor. To see is yamato worth it. Got Nelson too to prepare myself for izumo turret layout but i still cant bring myself to push the line to the end. I dont want to get into fuso seat ever again. Just too much pain in my EDIT.

I will try to master musashi using ur guide as a focus. Altho i would like to keep secondary power since its helpful. Dunno if that is going to be possible if tanky build is a must to perform in musashi. I find i die way too much atm.

GK is easier to aim since it has high shell velocity but its generally considered a shotgun. Fusou is actually a pretty nice ship so its a bit weird you dropped it there. Hope youll have fun in your musashi :)

[CROPS]
Players
195 posts
13,307 battles
20 minutes ago, Fiery_Kathy said:

GK is easier to aim since it has high shell velocity but its generally considered a shotgun. Fusou is actually a pretty nice ship so its a bit weird you dropped it there. Hope youll have fun in your musashi :)

Well i find it able to hit bb targets at max range consistently, did a max of 40k per salvo at 20 km. Oneshoted cas when caught broadside no matter the distance. And what amazes me the most, hitting khaba at 10-12 km with every salvo. Making it very hard for khaba to grill me in gk.

About fuso, dunno whats wrong there, no love between us i guess. New mex was a piece of cake to grind compared to fuso. Will get isoroku and try again.

Thx for all the info Kathy. I appreciate it.

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
182 posts
6,499 battles

Personally I find it more effective (though more dangerous as well) to weave around at mid to long range, having your teammates on one flank and island cover on the other. Just sitting bow on makes you a great target for HE spammers (tanky build helps, but you will still die relatively fast) and torpedoes. Especially those pesky RN torps that the enemies tend to drop like a laser beam at your bow. Also, due to the weakspot under the 1st turret, playing static gameplay of area denial means that you'll sacrifice 33% of your firepower. One can start playing like that until they feel comfortable with the ship's turning and gun behavior and then they can start moving around. Needless to say, situational awareness is key when moving around - broadside Yama can just get deleted in one BB salvo.

For area denial I find it a lot more effective to place a DM/Worcester/Minotaur and a spotter (DD or CV planes) near a cap. In fact I find a DM with legendary upgrade most effective for that role.

Players
77 posts
4,536 battles

I tend to move around in all ships, and while Izumo taught me the bow-on fortress gameplay, I am trying to be more active in the Yamato in a fast rudder shift/secondary/concealment build. I realize this might be not the most effective, but it can cause nasty surprises to the enemy team on occasion.

My biggest issue is that damage output per hit is low, those 460mms don't feel "overwhelming". All other T10BBs are well armored, I feel the Republique simply laughs at my AP shells and sails easily broadside - in fact I feel more confident firing at bow-on/angled T10 BBs. T10 cruisers are so fast they change course and therefore difficult to hit, the exception is obviously when I'm not paid attention to, or when they are committed to a hard turn.

In fact, I'm more reliably citadeling enemy ships in a Bismark on its tier, which tells something.

At the end I finish loads of battles with 30-odd hits and 70-80k damage caused.