You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fimbulvetr_

Regarde Elite, XP and progression

15 comments in this topic

[7CIE]
Players
12 posts

Hi all

I'm fairly new at this games and i'd like some adivce / answers.

Here you go.
I just purchased a new ship after completely upgrading my Hosho.
I am now left with a "vanilla" Zuho and a Elite Hosho.
I heard you can convert Elite XP with doubloons.

Here is my question :
Should I play with Hosho to gather free xp, and invest it in Zuho?
Should I play with Zuho straight away, even if the ship is sub-optimal?

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

play zuiho straight away. you will earn experience faster then by collecting free xp.

• Cool 1

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

Converting elite exp into free exp can be very costly, so I would refrain from doing that unless you have a very good reason which IMO the modules of a tier 5 CV are not.

Zuhio should be playable with stock (not upgraded) modules. I would save the free exp instead and use it once you get to higher tiers (or if you want to have a free exp ship). I, personally, tend to play all ships in their stock configuration until I have enough normal exp to unlock modules and the successor ships. This is also entirely possible, although some people will tell you that (at least for some ships) it is a painful grind.

• Cool 2

Players
906 posts
11,126 battles

The main factor is possibly your own endurance; but the general advice is usually "spend free XP on new ships, if you have any AND you don't want to keep them for other things (f.e. FXP ships)". In older versions some of the stock ships were significantly worse than the refitted ones (stock Fuso came to my mind for example), but even today it's a very smart way of doing things if you can. Especially since the Zuiho afaik might get worse MM and AA creep than the Hosho, and while you might not be able to do anything against strafes anyways, in any other situation plane survivability helps a lot, especially with the abysmal hangar sizes.

...the only, though rather big problem is that as a relatively new player, you don't have the means, nor the ships to farm a good amount of free XP, and since low-tier ships don't require too much grind, as for now, it's probably a better - far less irritating - idea to just go ahead and play the Zuiho. That few stock match will probably not account for much.

Converting FXP for doubloons is generally considered to be a rather bad investment; again - especially for the sake of lower tiers.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,214 posts
7,925 battles

Being stock in a Carrier is more problematic than in many surface ships, particularly because it means you straight up lose againt your opposite number while in a surface ship there usually isn't that kind of very clear 1v1 situation.

one thing you can do is grind out the modules on the Zuiho in Coop battles - Bots should be easily digestable food even for a stock ship - and switch back to PvP once you're satisfied that you have the more important ones installed.

• Cool 3

Players
906 posts
11,126 battles
1 minute ago, Fimbulvetr_ said:

Thanks. So if I get this straight : save free xp for bigger better faster ships, have go with new ships.

My colleauges probably mean that not for the "bigger better faster ships", but their better-than-stock modules.

Read: In low tier you have to grind, let's say, five matches in stock configuration, in higher tiers you might need to do so for 30 matches. Thus (beside other factors) the bigger need for FXP at higher tiers.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,049 posts
24,937 battles
4 hours ago, Fimbulvetr_ said:

Thanks. So if I get this straight : save free xp for bigger better faster ships, have go with new ships.

Thanks people

Yes but also identify ships that are difficult to play , and hwich modules are crucial, it is more important the higher up you go, but on some ships the gun range or speed difference is not so high, in many ships Hull hit points and hidden stats like rudder shift is often significantly better on B-hull. But for new players at low/lid tiers it is better to grind in coop and save freexp

• Cool 1

Players
814 posts
13,031 battles

You can, to some extent, play T4-5 CVs in randoms without investing free XP in the modules, but not T6 and above. As for the almost mandatory improvements (thus spending free XP) you'll need the moment you reach that tier, fighters first and foremost, then TPBs and/or CAW (carrier air wing, i.e. flight control modification) if you have an extra bit, while leaving SDBs for the grind.

Oh, and also practising manual attacks is a must when entering T6, so don't be ashamed of staying in coop battles until you think you get them.

Salute.

• Cool 1

Players
2,165 posts

I save my free XP for crucial upgrades on ships that are hamstrung at stock, this is very true for some of the ships at T8 and 9, or for a ship I really hate and want to bypass.

37 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

You can, to some extent, play T4-5 CVs in randoms without investing free XP in the modules, but not T6 and above. As for the almost mandatory improvements (thus spending free XP) you'll need the moment you reach that tier, fighters first and foremost, then TPBs and/or CAW (carrier air wing, i.e. flight control modification) if you have an extra bit, while leaving SDBs for the grind.

Oh, and also practising manual attacks is a must when entering T6, so don't be ashamed of staying in coop battles until you think you get them.

Salute.

@Estaca_de_Bares  knows CV's and his advice is very valid.

14 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Being stock in a Carrier is more problematic than in many surface ships, particularly because it means you straight up lose againt your opposite number while in a surface ship there usually isn't that kind of very clear 1v1 situation.

one thing you can do is grind out the modules on the Zuiho in Coop battles - Bots should be easily digestable food even for a stock ship - and switch back to PvP once you're satisfied that you have the more important ones installed.

More very sound advice.

• Cool 1

[7CIE]
Players
12 posts

Alright. Thanks for your imput everyone.

So basically, check next ships which REALLY need their module and invest free xp in them, and grind CO OP battle if necessary.

So, since i've been going rather blindly up to now, any of those particularly weak ships I need to look forward to?
When you speak aobut "manual attacks", you mean "moving the arrown on the circle around the ship  i'm torpedo bombing"?

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
416 posts

More complicated than that; low tier carriers can only do automatic attacks, which you can adjust the direction of. With the higher tier carriers you have more control and can drop the torpedoes or bombs wherever you want (as well as use strafing with fighters where they make a firing pass, or can strafe-out of a dogfight). If you look at the Ryujo you will see that on Flight Control is has an entry that says "Set attack point  on", which entry is missing from your two.

There is a lot of good advice on carriers to be found on the forums and some good tutorial videos by a player called Femennenly ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8MzkEgBDu_7lqgNr5F4dpA ) who is one of the top carrier players on the NA server.

If you want to test things before you get the Ryujo then you could sign up for the test server and use the ships given you there (round one is almost over but there will be a round two).

I'd also say that as the training room has been properly enabled you can test things in there. Try targets that are not moving and not armed to get a feel for the UI and how the bombers and torpedo bombers should approach the ship, and then try targets that are moving so you have to worry about anticipating them dodging, and then try them moving and armed so you have to worry about getting your planes shot down while lining up the attack. Or add an enemy carrier and practice fighter strafing against them. And then worry about CoOp and having to worry about other players and what they are doing.

• Cool 2

Players
3,769 posts
7,429 battles

Grind essential modules in co-op up to T5, T6/7 can be done in operations, T8 can just about be ground in co-op and save your free XP for T9/10 where the economy makes co-op punnishingly expensive.

Also bear in mind that the module grind and captain re-training happen at the same time, so co-op is a bit of a 2 for 1 deal.

• Cool 1

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
130 posts
5,707 battles

Never ever use free xp to unlock a new ship, it is much better saved up to replace stock modules when you buy a new one.  Otherwise you can get ahead of yourself and be stuck playing a stock ship at a tier you are not used to.  However do play the zuiho anyway, you will gain XP much faster (20x assuming no flags or special camos) than you would gain free XP with hosho.

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,443 posts
5,920 battles

tier 8 and 9 stock grinds are much much more aweful and frustrating trust me...

There are 2 types of players in this game,

1) people who converts Elite XP (or premium ship XP) regularly

2) people who doesn't convert (or once in a blue moon) generally.

Converting XP is costly, it is just your decision,

but save those xps, for either to start a new line (after getting enough xp in the game generally) from at least tier 5 or 6

or to ease the grind of the tier 8 or 9s...

tier 7 modules are even between 10 to 20k..

and with some camos, signals and %200 weekends, that is 1win XP.

Tier 7s can be elited in just around 10 to 20 games (depending ton your performance)

But playing tier 9s in stock... OMG.. that is just torture..

Long story short, If you ask me, whether you convert your XP or not,

do not spend your precious free xp before tier 8 or even 9.

And dont forget, from time to time, WG gives us a freexp ship.. like the mo, or musashi.. or nelson..

Collecting Freexp is a good thing..

• Cool 1