Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
xenopathia

Grozovoi in Ranked

19 comments in this topic

Players
385 posts
8,685 battles

Nonexistent,

In a fairly balanced season the only ship I saw once. So it may need a little love.

Players
2,456 posts
15,503 battles

It's actually really good for flanking around caps camped by DM/Mino. Underrated.

I'd only buff it with a bit more range so the guns can go past 14km with AFT. Not many will want to grind another paper RU destroyer, so it's never going to be popular.

[SCRUB]
Players
5,451 posts
9,467 battles

If there were more CV, she might be more relevant.

3 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

I'd only buff it with a bit more range so the guns can go past 14km with AFT.

Khab's range got nerfed, good luck getting your toy's range buffed (yeah, Khab is faster).

It's actually really good for flanking around caps camped by DM/Mino.

Elaborate

Will-Smith.jpg

[MJK]
Players
242 posts
7,655 battles
25 minutes ago, xenopathia said:

Nonexistent,

In a fairly balanced season the only ship I saw once. So it may need a little love.

I love mine. Have only played 2 games in ranked t10 so far. Khaba and radar YY both work fine. I would not bring Grozovoi to ranked though. It works in randoms if you are cautious and can be a good capcontester as well as a great flanker. I do agree that the range could be a little longer 13.5-14km with aft and give the guns the same he alfa 1900dmg as all the other high tier RU DDs.

• Cool 1

Players
2,456 posts
15,503 battles
16 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Elaborate

Grozovoi can wiz round a flank and spam camping radar cruisers with laser guns and great torpedoes.

Then it can contest caps and beat up cumbersome tier 10 BBs with torps like a normal DD once all radar ships have been sunk.

It's a great hybrid for the meta. Better than Gearing/Shima imo.

16 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Khab's range got nerfed, good luck getting your toy's range buffed.

Khaba is a space rocket cruiser with stuff like armour. Groz is a more realistic destroyer design, a bit more range won't make it oppressive agasint random battle seals.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
5,451 posts
9,467 battles
5 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Grozovoi can wiz round a flank and spam camping radar cruisers with laser guns and great torpedoes.

Torp reload is bad, Groz is a big, clumsy target which cannot really perma gunboat like Khab...any DD can flank.

[BYOB]
Players
3,467 posts
12,395 battles

In direct comparison the Grozovoi offers no advantage compared to Yueyang and Gearing.

While it's concealment is similar, it has worse guns and torps, and while it is a bit faster it also has a bad rudder shift and a huge turning radius. Even the AA suite is comparable, as the Yueyang and Gearing have a good short range damage, meaning that you shine only with DFAA on. And for a T10 DD it has some bad stats, leading only in the planes destroyed category. The only ship similar to it is the Z-52, but that one has hydro which tilts cap contesting in it's favor.

This ship isn't competitive. In a meta with few CVs it penalizes the team it's on.

• Cool 1

Players
2,456 posts
15,503 battles
40 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Torp reload is bad, Groz is a big, clumsy target which cannot really perma gunboat like Khab...any DD can flank.

Huh? Torp reload is fastest at tier 10 for quintuple tubes (less than Gearing/Shima/YY) and they've got the best reaction times outside YY (7.7s)

Groz is fine when there's only 1 or 2 ships shooting you in ranked (very different to the 6+ shooting you in randoms because there's nothing else to shoot within 20km)

Try it out for yourself, it's great.

Players
4,793 posts
7,962 battles
4 minutes ago, creamgravy said:

Huh? Torp reload is fastest at tier 10 for quintuple tubes (less than Gearing/Shima/YY) and they've got the best reaction times outside YY (7.7s)

Groz is fine when there's only 1 or 2 ships shooting you in ranked (very different to the 6+ shooting you in randoms because there's nothing else to shoot within 20km)

Try it out, it's great.

But then these torps deal pitiful damage and you can't spam them left right and center unlike Zed 52. Gunpower is decent but not quite on par with Gearing/YY even with all out dakka build (3.2s reload) and torps are even more behind with such build

[PNAVY]
[PNAVY]
Players
1,103 posts
31,451 battles

Grozovoi is really powerful in gunboating as well its well known AA. But when it comes to Torps you can't devastate a BB with these torps, Not to mention the long reload time they need. Also she is not that maneuverable.

1,513 posts
10,110 battles

Still i would take any day Grozovoi instead of Khabarovsks ... what ive seen in rankeds... by selfproclaimed khabarovsk-main players, I swear asashio mains could not pull off. Just joke in rankeds..

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,011 battles
11 hours ago, xenopathia said:

Nonexistent,

I wish :Smile_sceptic:

Seen far too many of them

[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,908 posts
7,396 battles

Groz is completely fine....

....if you div with a CV :Smile_trollface:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,422 posts
11,318 battles
15 hours ago, xenopathia said:

Nonexistent,

Ships are mostly balanced for Randoms - Grozovoi's strengths just don't really shine in current Ranked meta.

- there's few CVs

- DDs are mostly there for knifefights (short range DPM and nimbleness matter more than good mid-to-long range performance)

- other DD jobs boil down to things cruisers can't do too well: spotting enemy DDs and torping (Shima is good at both which is why Shimas work well in Ranked too)

Grozovoi is a good ship but she just doesn't fit the Ranked meta too well.

13 hours ago, Boris_MNE said:

Still i would take any day Grozovoi instead of Khabarovsks ... what ive seen in rankeds... by selfproclaimed khabarovsk-main players, I swear asashio mains could not pull off. Just joke in rankeds..

It depends. Khaba is very queue-dependent. Sometimes the Ranked queue gets so saturated with DDs that a Khaba actually becomes a good option. If you have 4-5 DDs per side, suddenly the thing you start lacking the most is firepower  that works beyond point-blank range (something Shima has not good enough guns for and Gearing/YY - not good enough shell arcs). Here enters the light cruiser Khabarovsk that takes a spot of a DD (that you already have more than enough of).

Still, picking Khaba for Ranked isn't a good idea because even if it looks like many DDs in the queue, you can still easily end up in a match with 3 or less of them per side and then having Khaba instead of one of them is a liability, plain and simple. Especially in 1-2 DD scenario a Khaba taking up one of these spots (or, worse, THE one spot) is a disadvantage extremely hard to overcome.

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles

Some stats from https://wows-numbers.com/season/id,9/?type=rank

Kebab is very hit or miss in ranked, like most DDs really. She does have the third best winrate in ranked though, after the Hakuryu and the Yueyang.

The Grozovoi has the worst winrate of all ships in ranked.

The Grozovoi and the Kebab are the third and fourth least popular ships to play in ranked, after the two carriers.

At range the Kebab can outgun Minos and DMs with her excellent shell arcs and high speed capable of dodging the floaty arcs of those cruisers' shells. The Grozovoi has slightly less range, slower speed, worse DPM, lower health and no armour but with faster rudder and tighter turning circle. I'm not sure how the Grozovoi does in against those cruisers since I don't have one, but I don't think the stats is in her favour.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,422 posts
11,318 battles
2 hours ago, Runegrem said:

The Grozovoi has slightly less range, slower speed, worse DPM, lower health and no armour but with faster rudder and tighter turning circle. I'm not sure how the Grozovoi does in against those cruisers since I don't have one, but I don't think the stats is in her favour.

Grozovoi can't be straight-up compared to Khaba because Khaba is a light cruiser without a citadel while Grozovoi is a destroyer. The latter has DD stealth (concealment some 50m worse than Gearing - so technically worse but not by a margin that matters) and 10km torpedoes. She's also not as clumsy as Khaba (although still not exactly a ballerina by DD standards).

The price for these things is, of course, that she's not nearly as good as Khaba in the things that are Khaba's specialty. Not giving up on proper concealment and torps with non-suicidal range also means not getting all the perks of the hyper-specialized gunboat that is the Khaba.

Players
2,165 posts
3 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Grozovoi can't be straight-up compared to Khaba because Khaba is a light cruiser without a citadel while Grozovoi is a destroyer. The latter has DD stealth (concealment some 50m worse than Gearing - so technically worse but not by a margin that matters) and 10km torpedoes. She's also not as clumsy as Khaba (although still not exactly a ballerina by DD standards).

The price for these things is, of course, that she's not nearly as good as Khaba in the things that are Khaba's specialty. Not giving up on proper concealment and torps with non-suicidal range also means not getting all the perks of the hyper-specialized gunboat that is the Khaba.

I've not played my Groz in Ranked, it's a good generalist with decent guns, OK torps and nice speed, but as pointed out it's a bit clumsy in the turns so knife fighting can be a lottery.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,422 posts
11,318 battles
7 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I've not played my Groz in Ranked, it's a good generalist with decent guns, OK torps and nice speed, but as pointed out it's a bit clumsy in the turns so knife fighting can be a lottery.

Well, I like my Grozovoi (more than Khaba) but haven't taken her to Ranked either - I just don't see her fitting the meta.

Beta Tester
2,461 posts
9,589 battles

With lower DPM but better ballistics, Grozo is a great support DD.

But in the first row, it is a bit fat and can get overwhelmed by Gearing/YY DPM, since it has no armor/heal. 

Sign in to follow this