Sign in to follow this  
Cagliostro_chan

Friedrich der Große - How do you play this thing?

9 comments in this topic

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles

Ok, my WR in this ship is now 42%. I have no clue how this ship is supposed to be played. It certainly is not a repeat of the Bismarck. It's much larger, almost offensively so, but it has so many issues, in my opinion. On paper, it should be an improvement over Bismarck. Yet, I prefer playing a Bismarck in T10 matches over this thing. In my Bismarck, the ship actually feels compact and resilient and I'm at least a bottom tier BB that is not expected to carry hard.

Guns: Well, with the T9 Main Battery Mod (the only one I deemed worth taking), this ship at least gets an upgrade here. Instead of 4x2 38 cm guns at 26 seconds reload base, it's now 4x2 40.6 cm guns at 24 or so seconds reload. Using the lighter guns, because dispersion still is German and so awful that volume over time has to compensate. Also, the firing angles are bad (nothing new), so you expose a lot of side if you want to bring your full broadside to bear. This often is not worth the punishment, at which point, it feels almost anaemic how little this ship achieves with its 8 guns, often reduced to 4 effective against the other T9s.

Secondaries: Well, in Bismarck this at least worked and you could feel happy about the secondary rainbow. These are the same secondaries, just, T9-10 matches hardly ever get into these ranges. And you now are so large, Fire Prevention really becomes necessary. So having points for a secondary build...

Armour: Hull, yes. It's great. Then everyone shoots your massive superstructure.

Maneuverability: I at first went for Steering Gears mod, thinking it might be better to have actually good rudder shift. Considering going back to Damage control mod. I don't know. Maybe I should just accept that this ship handles like a brick.

I feel like in so many areas, you get to start patching up the issues of your size that many of the interesting parts of the Bismarck fall away and you are left with an oversized ship that has bad accuracy and bad dpm unless you can somehow show broadside without losing half your hp. So, how do you actually get anything out of this ship? I don't even want the Kurfürst, I'm considering selling this ship, or at least leaving it be, because it was some 25 million credit mistake. But maybe someone knows what this ship is supposed to do that makes it interesting and not feel bad. Because at this point, I just feel like I'm starting to be a liability to my team for not being an Iowa/Missouri/Alsace/Lion/Musashi or even an Izumo.

• Cool 1

[POMF]
Weekend Tester
2,283 posts
7,751 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

I have no clue how this ship is supposed to be played.

Neither do I. Besides Izumo Is a good Ship compared to FDG.

[GRKEN]
[GRKEN]
Players
611 posts
15,049 battles

To be honest I didn't have any issues with mine.  Just supported my team and used concealment when needed.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,725 posts
14,679 battles

I just played her like a Bismarck and she worked out just fine tbh.

• Cool 1

[NOCAP]
Players
1,535 posts
15,496 battles

I liked playing her, I had full survivability build with concealment. Use the tankiness to absorb damage, back off to heal up, rinse and repeat. The size and handling don't make it easy so you have to be spot on with your timing. I liked the guns. Though the dispersion is wonky they leave a mark when they hit. For target selection I focused on BBs and slightly angled cruisers.

The GK is a lot of fun, best no sh:etc_swear: given push BB. I prefer the 420s with this one.

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles
1 hour ago, _DeathWing_ said:

That's a different ship though. The Großer Kurfürst actually seems to have a volume of fire befitting of T10 and its secondaries are decent enough for people to pull off IFHE secondaries, thanks to the 128 mm guns. I experimented with that stuff during the space battle event, to see how well such would work and it certainly felt different from FdG.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,359 battles
5 hours ago, Riselotte said:

That's a different ship though. The Großer Kurfürst actually seems to have a volume of fire befitting of T10 and its secondaries are decent enough for people to pull off IFHE secondaries, thanks to the 128 mm guns. I experimented with that stuff during the space battle event, to see how well such would work and it certainly felt different from FdG.

Wrong link, sorry

Players
4,608 posts
5,708 battles

I haven't forgotten this thread, just tried implementing some of the advice over the past few days.

On 5/19/2018 at 6:23 AM, El2aZeR said:

I just played her like a Bismarck and she worked out just fine tbh.

After the tank build became increasingly frustrating, holding up ok in damage tanked, but being quite boring, I tried to actually go for this and specced the FdG captain like my Bismarck captain. I cannot yet tell whether secondary spec works out that well, ship still feels a bit iffy, but at least one can watch the secondary rainbow at 11.5 km. Did not take BFT, because like on my Bismarck, I took BoS instead, opting for shorter duration on fires, as the secondary damage doesn't justify BFT, imo. Concealment is pretty bad, so best to use islands.

Ship feels a bit like Gneisenau now, having to look in the beginning for how to use your few guns to best effect, until the lines thin out a bit and one can go in for a push. Gneisenau was not exactly my favourite German BB, but was playable. At least, people seem less likely to expect a secondary FdG than a secondary Bismarck.

Sign in to follow this