You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
cpt_sparrow_jack

Franz von Jütland new german comander with special cpt perks

63 comments in this topic

Players
8,061 posts
8,901 battles

Hindenburg, would be my guess. It's the ship that needs the points the least and has the most to get out of the two skills that the new captain improves (including German cruiser hydro to stack with Vigilance). Honestly though, in my opinion I'd know better skills to pick on any German T10 than these two skills. It's the complete opposite to something like the French captain, where it's two skills almost any line would pick, here you have two skills where I'm not even sure whether improved they are good enough to be picked over other skills.

• Cool 3

[TIPC]
Players
445 posts
19,965 battles
Just now, Riselotte said:

Hindenburg, would be my guess. It's the ship that needs the points the least and has the most to get out of the two skills that the new captain improves (including German cruiser hydro to stack with Vigilance). Honestly though, in my opinion I'd know better skills to pick on any German T10 than these two skills. It's the complete opposite to something like the French captain, where it's two skills almost any line would pick, here you have two skills where I'm not even sure whether improved they are good enough to be picked over other skills.

yea thats true i also thought about hinderburg...but im in doubt because of the better torp aquis..for bbs

Players
8,061 posts
8,901 battles
9 minutes ago, cpt_sparrow_jack said:

yea thats true i also thought about hinderburg...but im in doubt because of the better torp aquis..for bbs

Well, GK can pull it off if you get Vigilance and JoaT instead of BoS and EM on a tank build. So, if torpedoes really bother you (on a ship with hydro), you can take it, but frankly, I'd pick BoS over Vigilance any day, because the threat from fires seems just that much larger, while with torpedoes, if you make a push against DDs, hydro is just better and the long range torpedo thread is better countered by semi-random maneuvering. Not to mention, the real long-range torps, Shima are spotted early enough anyway and Asashio you still die to, if you rely on Vigilance to save your ship with the worst turning radius of all BBs.

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,710 posts
8,735 battles

Hindenburg and use the better JOAT skills.

Am I teased to try the better Vigilance and give up the skill DE. I guess falling from 17% to 15% isn't that kind of a big deal?

• Cool 1

[TIPC]
Players
445 posts
19,965 battles
1 hour ago, Riselotte said:

Well, GK can pull it off if you get Vigilance and JoaT instead of BoS and EM on a tank build. So, if torpedoes really bother you (on a ship with hydro), you can take it, but frankly, I'd pick BoS over Vigilance any day, because the threat from fires seems just that much larger, while with torpedoes, if you make a push against DDs, hydro is just better and the long range torpedo thread is better countered by semi-random maneuvering. Not to mention, the real long-range torps, Shima are spotted early enough anyway and Asashio you still die to, if you rely on Vigilance to save your ship with the worst turning radius of all BBs.

yea i aggree with u and i have BoS in my kourfoust too the thing that i forgot to mention is that i use the same captain to my tirpitz..thats y:Smile_teethhappy:

[CAIN]
Players
4,349 posts
18,404 battles

I think the German commander(s) have the worst perks so far, which makes them for me personally and my playstyle useless.

• Cool 4

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
11 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I think the German commander(s) have the worst perks so far, which makes them for me personally and my playstyle useless.

same here... boy, would i have loved improved Adrenaline Rush on a german commander! Damn you frenchies!

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
8 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Same here, I completed the mission chain an hour or two back and got him, the enhanced skills aren't ones I will use on any KM Captain, so it's just a free 10 pointer that I may find a use for at some point. If they had given him boosts to actually useful skills I'd be a lot more excited to have him.

Dunkirk and Honore have at least 1 really handy boost so I use them.

[CAIN]
Players
4,349 posts
18,404 battles
4 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

same here... boy, would i have loved improved Adrenaline Rush on a german commander! Damn you frenchies!

EL and AR would make an awesome combo for the Germans, too bad WG picked the less useful ones.

At least they didn't go for advanced priority target and advanced incoming fire alert...that might have been too obvious. ^^

3 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Same here, I completed the mission chain an hour or two back and got him, the enhanced skills aren't ones I will use on any KM Captain, so it's just a free 10 pointer that I may find a use for at some point. If they had given him boosts to actually useful skills I'd be a lot more excited to have him.

Dunkirk and Honore have at least 1 really handy boost so I use them.

True.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

whelp... on the upside, he's not called Schiffmann, so at least we dodged that particular bullet I suppose...

• Funny 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
4 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

whelp... on the upside, he's not called Schiffmann, so at least we dodged that particular bullet I suppose...

Yup Helmut Schiffmann looked an awful lot like Harold Shipman who was a mass murdering doctor that cynically killed off old folks under his care after getting them to write him into their wills, it wouldn't have been a good option for a name.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,465 posts
19,600 battles
2 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

He's special, short bus special that is. The combination of skills offers no advantage to German ships. But hey, WG knows the game best. Riiight. :Smile_trollface:

[JRM]
Players
6,243 posts
24,096 battles

When it was announced (shiffer phase) there was a similar discussion on the forum and I for one tried hind build with PT-HA-AR-SI-VG-DE-CE (18pt as of yet) and it really works, even in ranked... That Vigilance lets u be much more agressive when dds are around and u dont need to pop hydro all the time as a "precaution" hence more chance u ll have it ready if u need to push in a smoke. With this improved JOAT u can actually take it instead of HA and still have 10% DCP bonus but also a nice 10% bonus on all other consumables so i d say he fits a hind nicely. However since i already have an 18 pointer going on 19 on hinenburg and dont really have the patience for training him from 10 to 19 point on cruisers just for that little improvement and l am probalby gonna stick him into furst and make him some survival hybrid build...

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,405 posts
4,189 battles
15 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Yup Helmut Schiffmann looked an awful lot like Harold Shipman who was a mass murdering doctor that cynically killed off old folks under his care after getting them to write him into their wills, it wouldn't have been a good option for a name.

Of the three brothers Shipman, Harold, George and Peter, I'll take the middle one. 

That way I can get... 

>sunglasses on

...the Mid Shipman

YEEEEEEAAAAAH! 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
3,042 posts
10,622 battles
17 hours ago, Jethro_Grey said:

I agree.  I was looking at my present highest ranked KM Commander in Bismarck and he uses none of the perks that the special commander gets a bonus.

iPjiYYO.jpg

And I don't play cruisers without smoke so I'll pass on the "special" German.

Players
502 posts
13,516 battles

Yeah the German ones are not the best since Vigilance is not so great when you have German hydro. I was hesitating between Hindenbourg and Z52 but since I will buy all the special captains they are selling I guess I will have one for each now. 

Pity I already had a 17 points captain on my Hinden. I guess the Roon will be happy but I don't play her anymore ....

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,482 battles

Fair points that the skills that he has in the "upgraded" form are not very powerful and/or first pick choices, but this guy is just an incredible all arounder.

You can have him captain Gr. Kurfurst, Hindenburg, Z52 or even Graf Zeppelin for the few mad men out there, and have in all 4 classes some form of benefit.

Cheers

Players
163 posts
1,549 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 2:53 PM, ulysses_nemo said:

Yeah the German ones are not the best since Vigilance is not so great when you have German hydro. I was hesitating between Hindenbourg and Z52 but since I will buy all the special captains they are selling I guess I will have one for each now. 

Pity I already had a 17 points captain on my Hinden. I guess the Roon will be happy but I don't play her anymore ....

You are aware that Vigilance skill improves the already great German Hydro even further, since it adds to the detection range of both torps and ships behind smoke/islands.

I would absolutely not discard Vigilance as a skill in higher tiers, especially the direction that WG is going currently for stealthier torps (reducing detectability from air for all torps and ships with lowered detectability on thier torps). 

Is there better skills, absolutely, but Vigilance could help German BB go in more aggressively because their hydro is even better.

I for one, would really like to test it out :cap_cool: 

Players
1,157 posts
15,121 battles

I think he is the worst of all the unique captains so far, simply due to the fact that while all the others boost usefull 1-2pt skills, his main forte is a very situational 3pt skill, esp. with DWTs nowadays.

Outside of competitive play (mainly CBs, where you have no CV for torp-spotting), him being a german creates quite of a conundrum.

- If you use him on a ship that has hydro, vigilance is pretty much overkill, as long as one uses it wisely and can read the minimap. And if hydro is down, vigilance won't help you vs DWTs....

- The number of german ships outside of low-tier that can't slot hydro is rather low and most of them cater towards point intensive builds (aka secondary builds on BBs).

Sure, one could use him on a brawling Horst or Torpitz build, that doesn't sink a plethora of points into buffing secondaries. But since those two ships are prems, the question is how many people -except those that literally swim in 19pt captains and ECXP- will build a special high point captain (13+) just for those ships, instead of simply dumping their Bismark, Freddy or Currywurst Captain on those two ships. 

So for me the only niche he could fill is a dedicated CB captain on a hindi. Why? Because w/o any CVs in CBs you have enough points to spare on buffing your hydro and while stacking viligance on top of a running hydro is overkill for self-defence, it buffs the torpedo-spotting bubble for your team-mates. And with hindi being neither a fast nor a very stealthy cruiser, you're most likely sticking with a good portion of you squad in the early game and depending on how you spawn, that extra torpedo range may be the thing that helps the ships in front of you dodging torps. 

@Hyperion84 Vigilance only works for torp spotting, so it doesn't jack up your ship detection in smoke or through islands . However it stacks with hydro vs torps, so that creates a hell of a bubble. Which sadly is overkill in random matches, unless you only play divisions and stick together a lot. 

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles

GKF with a big "maybe" attached to it.

I also though about Z-52 just for the improved JOAT, so i can reduce cooldowns on hydro, and smoke, but then again i`d have to remove AR, or something else for it.

Modder
4,868 posts
22,110 battles

On all German BB and Cruiser with hydro i have 2 planes too, so when one comsumable is inactive i just use another one, so there is no need for vigilance for me.

My pick for Jutland commander is using enhanced vigilance to even easier low tier sealclubbing  ->Konig Albert/Nassau. Those ships are rather nimble and every meter counts.

or with brawler combo Gneisenau/Scharnhorst/Tipitz which share the same commander. Especially it will be handy on Tirpitz which i use with Target Acquisition System Modification 1 as even now better permanent semi hydro.

A few percent (1,35/1.25= 8%) more time to spot torps mayby is not that high, but ex. 1.6 Jap torps will be visible from 2,16 km with this 1,35% vigilance, and 2,6 km with vigilance and TASM 1.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
On 19/05/2018 at 1:53 PM, ulysses_nemo said:

I really don't see the sense in that decision, get your 17 point Captain up to 19 and it's a source of elite commander XP, the special skills on the German Captains are basically worthless unless you love vigilance and that's not overly handy on Hindenberg so it's just a 10 point Captain.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,465 posts
19,600 battles
11 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

the special skills on the German Captains are basically worthless

Yup. I never had any problems deciding where to put other special captains like Honore or Dunkirk, Jütland however is in reserve and I don't know where to use him.