Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
hollowbaron

do jap torpedo boats do anything useful?

56 comments in this topic

Players
19 posts
3,698 battles

Whatever im in, they always seem more of a hindrance rather than an asset. In a cruiser, does not even have to be aa, they will always crawl behind you looking for aa cover incase they get spotted by cv.

In a pan dd, they will always mess up your strike. The BlackBerry get spooked by jap torps meaning they just act as an early warning signal that enemy dd is nearby.

What is with all this area denial bs anyway. If you want to remove a threat you sink him. Facing three waves of torps head on is not even a threat mostly, unless in a dreadnought.

In a BlackBerry. Never once seen a jap dd act as a scout. When alone on a flank. Instead too concerned with spamming fish at maximum range hoping to score some damage. Most of the time a jap dd is considered a genious if he just caps at end of battle, since risking it supporting another ship fighting an enemy dd would harm his stats.

Players
965 posts
5,003 battles

I think you are excagerating. 

1. It is the most played dd line, so expect a lot of idiots.

2. Jap dds are a lot about positioning which a lot of people also can't do. 

3. I would consider myself to be useful for my team a lot, not only in damage and spotting, but I in lighting up the dds as well. 

Feel free to invite me to some divisioning if you want to see those played to their (near) max potential. 

• Cool 4

[TOXIC]
Players
4,422 posts
11,318 battles
1 hour ago, hollowbaron said:

Whatever im in, they always seem more of a hindrance rather than an asset. In a cruiser, does not even have to be aa, they will always crawl behind you looking for aa cover incase they get spotted by cv.

In a pan dd, they will always mess up your strike. The BlackBerry get spooked by jap torps meaning they just act as an early warning signal that enemy dd is nearby.

What is with all this area denial bs anyway. If you want to remove a threat you sink him. Facing three waves of torps head on is not even a threat mostly, unless in a dreadnought.

In a BlackBerry. Never once seen a jap dd act as a scout. When alone on a flank. Instead too concerned with spamming fish at maximum range hoping to score some damage. Most of the time a jap dd is considered a genious if he just caps at end of battle, since risking it supporting another ship fighting an enemy dd would harm his stats.

Your average DD winrate: 48,75%

Average winrate of an average IJN torpboats of tier 7-10...

...Shima: 48,94% (+0,19%)

...Yugumo: 49,89% (+1,14%)

...Kagero: 49,9% (+1,15%)

...Akatsuki: 49,47% (+0,72%)

...Shiratsuyu: 54,20% (+5,45%)

Do hollowbaron's DDs do anything useful? :Smile_trollface:

Ok, and now, having had the cheap laugh at your expense - IJN torpboats tend to have decent stealth and a solid salvo of hard-hitting torps. In good hands they are powerful but they suffer from combination of looking appealing to potatoes (stealthtorping from early tiers that makes you feel safe and powerful when sometimes you land a satisfying salvo) while at the same time NOT being very noob-friendly at all (relatively visible torps require better thought-out approach to torping since torps coming at the enemy at wrong angle can be often to large extent dodged). It's pretty often a simple case of a below-average player at the helm of a relatively demanding ship. It's not very surprising that the outcome often seems lacking.

[-TXG-]
Players
2,442 posts
3 hours ago, hollowbaron said:

Why not call for 'ban IJN DD's!!!!!  You have already called for strafing to be banned in another useless thread this morning. Attention seeking at his finest. :Smile_sceptic:

Players
1,107 posts
8,552 battles

IJN DD's don't fare well against other DD's 1v1 and as a player of IJN DD's:

Shinome, Hatsuharu, Kagero, Yugumo & Shimakaze I spot, cap and sink ships if I can.

My torpedoes are set for my Yugumo and Shimakaze at 8km at 76knots so no long range shots for me.

I will always try to get to an ally to throw a smoke screen if they are receiving more than their fair share of attention from the enemy.

You complain about the IJN DD's but I have seen countless games where you are given instructions, which are fair enough, but are then left alone as the team leaves you standing and to play totally stupid.

I was in a Kagero game, CV both sides, playing a domination game in which I sank an Izumo with 6 torpedoes and a Fletcher with a single torpedo and burned a Des Moines for our Bismarck to kill, I capped A&B, recapped B and did this alone as the team decided to ignore the agreed strategy apart from a single Bismarck who stayed close to me for almost the whole game. I believe he claimed 3 enemy ships before he sank. 

At 13 minutes both sides are down to 2 ships, the enemy had a CV & Grosse and we had myself and the Bismarck. Our Bismarck low on HP rammed the Grosse attempting to retake B and so it was just me against the CV.

For 6 minutes I was avoiding 3 squadrons of torpedo bombers, 2 squadrons of bombers and 2 fighter groups he was using to spot me. Using my smoke, changing speed and direction when being attacked I successfully avoided being destroyed and all the time our points climbed higher than the enemies.. The abuse hurled at me for not wanting to hunt the CV was unbelievable. I played smart and was hit once by torpedo on my stern surviving at the games end 5 air attacks in total. As we still held the two zones I capped we won by points.. right up to the end of the game the abuse did not stop.

So, it isn't just bad IJN DD Captains who mess up games.

• Cool 1

1,513 posts
10,110 battles

They feed my midway quite nicely...

Ill tell you trick:

YOU spot them. They slow down and stop, and press smoke. You can blind drop on them and get first blod + devastating strike.

7,4k battles, 750 first bloods here...

Oh I forgot to mention, after that they will blame enemy cv. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,443 posts
5,918 battles

There are a lot of morons play that line.

May be more than any other DD line...

They think like "OOO long range hard hitting torps.. I can stay back and spam torps! Herp! Derp!"

But People who knows what to do in them... I say they are useful for the team...

Spoiler

IMG-20180511-WA0001.thumb.jpg.bccec374b986ab900f2667d53e275d0d.jpg

Spoiler

IMG-20180514-WA0005.thumb.jpg.977199a0ecfa82070e55ebc59a5e1b73.jpg

Spoiler

IMG-20180517-WA0011.thumb.jpg.b0fde9df316a867d1f2d1a9df89ff66d.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
63 posts
7,091 battles
Vor 37 Minuten, dCK_Ad_Hominem sagte:

I think you are excagerating. 

1. It is the most played dd line, so expect a lot of idiots.

2. Jap dds are a lot about positioning which a lot of people also can't do. 

This hits the nail right on its head .

Don't blame the boat, blame the players.

Recently, I've seen more and more Fletchers and Gearings ignoring the Cap and going "flanking" as well. (e.g. ignoring C cap on hotspot and going 9/10 line instead)

Stupidity is in no way limited to IJN DD players, unfortunately.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,924 battles
42 minutes ago, hollowbaron said:

I love jap DDs.

Being stealth all of the time and spot the enemy is of great value.

Sometimes I play most of the time by just looking the minimap.

A lot can happen when you are torping at 10 KM, but even if your torps miss the target they can make them expose broadside to your allies.

I use guns only when I am forced to knife fight or using the smokes (preferably with a friendly in who pack hydro/def AA).

In them you are afraid of everything, yet only once you are spotted ;)

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
1,443 posts
5,918 battles
3 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

A lot can happen when you are torping at 10 KM, but even if your torps miss the target they can make them expose broadside to your allies.

Most of the captains miss this part...

You find a bow on pushing BB.. you torp him from a good angle...

there will be 2 choices for him then..

Eat at least 3 - 4 torps..

or give complete broadside to 3 - 4 enemy ships :)

but you have to warn your teammates before hand.. to make them ready their guns..

"in about 30 seconds.. enemy XXX may give broadside!"

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,924 battles
1 minute ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

What's a spoiler tag? :Smile_amazed:

this:

Spoiler

tenor.gif

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,924 battles
3 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

but you have to warn your teammates before hand.. to make them ready their guns..

"in about 30 seconds.. enemy XXX may give broadside!"

easier to be playing in divs :)

but simply spaming F3 couple of times should do the trick.

[UNICS]
Players
1,244 posts
15,664 battles

Yes when the shinonome was unlocked first by good players it had a 58-56% wr.

Its a kiting gunboat monster at t6.

Players
1,107 posts
8,552 battles
1 minute ago, nambr9 said:

easier to be playing in divs :)

but simply spaming F3 couple of times should do the trick.

Hold NO faith in F3....:Smile-angry:

I had that with a Moskva once.. the scourge of DD's... F3, F3..come on ffs MOSKVA kill him...F3, F3....radar detected deleted and Moskva stays until the end kliing another of our DD's..

[SCRUB]
Players
2,970 posts
7,924 battles
1 minute ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Hold NO faith in F3....:Smile-angry:

I had that with a Moskva once.. the scourge of DD's... F3, F3..come on ffs MOSKVA kill him...F3, F3....radar detected deleted and Moskva stays until the end kliing another of our DD's..

call it RNG dependent then :cap_haloween:

• Funny 1

[WCWVE]
Players
848 posts
12,674 battles

I do not ussually play DD's but I have started with the Asashio and done quite well, stats will not be available until the en of the ranked season for the number of battles etc but I have been top scorer at least 4 times when the rest of the team potatoed 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

We can tell they dont work for you, maybe check some guides?

Players
1,325 posts
7,903 battles

People seem to think that destroyers should be buzzing around like flies, jumping into the nearest cap, hiding in smoke and Yolo ing the first ship they see. That tends to get them sunk early on, which is no particular use to anyone. 

IJN torps are easy to spot and long range potshots don't always come off, but if you're making enemy capital ships veer off course, blocking progress for cruisers and destroyers and keeping the enemy spotted for your team mates, then that's a worthwhile contribution. 

• Cool 6

[-TXG-]
Players
2,442 posts
45 minutes ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

I do not ussually play DD's but I have started with the Asashio and done quite well, stats will not be available until the en of the ranked season for the number of battles etc but I have been top scorer at least 4 times when the rest of the team potatoed 

43% wr and 28k av damage in ranked isn't doing quite well mate.

Players
1,107 posts
8,552 battles
1 minute ago, bushwacker001 said:

43% wr and 28k av damage in ranked isn't doing quite well mate.

Maybe he started badly and has improved or is improving his play style? Percentages take time to increase..

Sign in to follow this