Sign in to follow this  
Admiral_H_Nelson

Begging for help - baffled by Normandie

11 comments in this topic

Players
3,041 posts
13,346 battles

I have to throw myself on the mercy of the court. I see from global game statistics that the Normandie does well in comparison with tier 6 battleships.

However, I do very poorly in it so the PROBLEM IS ME - but I can't see where I am going wrong.

Now, I am not a good Battleship player at the best of times - but even so I don't struggle this badly in other ships. I also have the Bretagne, Dunkerque and Gascogne. I like these ships, and also the French cruisers. (Plus in real life I am rather pro-French)

I've watched videos, I've tried close range play, medium range play, long range play - but still get nowhere. The difficulties that I have with the ship are:-

1) The dispersion is the most horrific that I have seen.

The shells fly all over the place regardless of range. They land in at least three different zip codes! (At least with close range play i can do more damage before I die)

2) It has virtually no AA capability. 

You have to stay close to team mates but lots of CV captains know that you are vulnerable and get you anyway. (OK you have a little bit more agility than most same-tier battleships, but you still get hit anyway)

3) Fire.

The ship is such a big fat target that I spend most of the match on fire - and have to follow strict damage control discipline to avoid burning to a crisp, even with flags & captain skills.

I see from my records that I am 42% through the grind. Are there any tips that people can give me to try please before I just Free XP to the Lyon?

P.S. Just tried both ships on Public test and Lyon seems about 5 tiers better than Normandie!

Ship setup

Spoiler

Fully upgraded modules.

Upgrades:

- Main Armaments Mod1

- Aiming System Mod 1

- Damage Control System 1

- Damage Control System 2

Captain (Jean-Jacques Honoré the one with special skills)

L1 Preventative Maintenance

L2 Expert Marksman; Adrenaline Rush

L3 Basics of Survivability

L4 Fire Prevention

[CATS]
Players
16,381 posts
11,331 battles

Lyon has the same guns with similar dispersion, just more of them.

In Normandie focus cruisers as this will give best results. Stay at medium range first and get closer later. Angle towards BB, you should be able to take the damage from cruisers. Keep moving, kite the enemy when necessary and take a breather when taking too much damage. The speed helps.

And yes, in games with CV you have a big problem. Just pray and stay close to AA ships.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,018 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

(Plus in real life I am rather pro-French)

Bcuz that matters

If you play Dunkerque you should already find this familiar - shells going high and low instead left and right. That's just how all high-muzzle-velocity guns work

Thing is, with 12 shells in the air the bad dispersion becomes less relevant - you'll still land 2...4 shells on target (on an average salvo) - so same as others - and that's good enough.

Focus more on CAs (big enough but at the same time soft enough) and you should be fine

Almost no tier 6 ship has AA. Those few who do - almost all of them are CAs. Also it doesn't matter what tier it is - never solo against a CV, always stick together with some teammate

3) Fire.

The ship is such a big fat target that I spend most of the match on fire

That right there you can use as a definition of every single BB. Well, every BB that closes the distance to below its max range.

All BBs burn a lot, but that's ok - fire damage is slow to stack up, and it can be repaired 100%.

Do not repair single fire - not unless you are 110% sure noone will set another fire on you for a while.

With the DCS and BoS + the signal which reduces fire duration a single fire actually does less damage than one heal heals you

2 fires - feel free to repair that, even if sometimes it's better not to. It's a question of getting a feeling for that one

Also losing a turret rarely is worth instantly repairing it, save the repair for something more serious.

L4 Fire Prevention

This is pretty much my only "problem" with your build - at 10 points I would always go for Concealment, that will help you far more. FP is nice and useful, but I never take it before 14, if not even 16 points

A good idea often tends to be adding a replay (or a few of them) so people can actually see what you do and comment directly on that. Tends to be much easier to highlight what might have been done differently

[BYOB]
Players
3,467 posts
12,399 battles
8 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

With 4 more guns than the Dunkerque you can put enough rounds in the air to guarantee a hit. Also, you can get closer to mitigate that.

To mitigate that you need to use the ships good mobility. You can dodge torps with the ship's good speed.

3) Fire.

You have one of the lowest profiles at t6. So getting focused with BBQ means you might not be positioned properly.

Ship setup

You are using a tank build on a ship that is bad at tanking.

In your place I would switch the DMCS 2 with Steering Gears 2, as the better rudder will allow you to dodge torps better.

@wilkatis_LVis also right with the L4 skill, CE is better than FP for this ship. The ability to remain undetected is a great boon for a battleship, as it means the enemy will fire at someone else first.

Having said all that, I have setup my Normandy with a troll secondary build for Ops and Fun. It's really entertaining to see people panic at 7,6km range when my secondaries start shooting, and the Cider press has a lot of them.

Players
3,041 posts
13,346 battles

Many thanks for the replies. I consider that every one had very good suggestions in them! :Smile_honoring:

I will try them out in the next 5-6 games. This will take me over half way through the grind. Then make a decision about using free XP for the rest of the grind.

There was a thread recently about ships that were unlucky for you, or you just cannot get on with.

I think that is the case with me and Normandie. It HAS been genuinely unlucky (as well as some very poor play by me of course) - which I have magnified by applying something similar to "confirmation bias". (We humans do that a lot of course)

Beta Tester
2,256 posts
2,948 battles

To be fair, no ship should go anywhere alone, this isn't just limited to BB's. You want some support (or something to support) at all times really.

[HOUSE]
Players
266 posts
5,027 battles
10 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Then make a decision about using free XP for the rest of the grind

I would advice against this if you don't plan to skip Lyon totally, since Lyon is almost the same ship with 4 more guns and worse enemies being T7.

I really enjoyed this ship and the thing with the french 340 mm guns is proper aim, DO NOT aim at the waterline on enemy battleships, not even when they show you the whole side. Try to aim at the vessels deck, this will give you less citadels but more consisting damage due to penetrations (10-15K salvos at enemy Tirpitz is not uncommon). And if you still feels like you can't dish out damage, pretend to be at dragon, load that HE and aim for deck/superstructure and the numbers will start adding up.

One thing to watch out for with both vessels (T6 & T7) are the angles on the mid turret. If I am not mistaken it has better angles to the rear than forward, so kite away and use 2 out of 3 of your turrets.  Cause if you get caught broadside it is back to port way to early in the battle, angled the armor can take a beating but not fully broadside.

And as all the other say, swap fire prevention for concealment expert untill you have 16 point captain and maybe get superintendent instead of basics of survivability and use the more expensive repair party for a total of 5 repairs with shorter cooldowns, fire damage are repairable and if you live longer you will earn more credits and exp. Be aware that the french ships has 32 mm deck armor so 152 mm IFHE spamming will melt French BBs with ease. 

Best of luck! ? 

Beta Tester
2,256 posts
2,948 battles

Also, I personally have to say the Lyon is a very good ship, even with the inconsistency of her guns at times @affie free xp'ing past her would lose you that enjoyement, plus wouldn't help your captain's progress any.

• Cool 1

[HOUSE]
Players
266 posts
5,027 battles
5 hours ago, lafeel said:

Also, I personally have to say the Lyon is a very good ship, even with the inconsistency of her guns at times @affie free xp'ing past her would lose you that enjoyement, plus wouldn't help your captain's progress any.

I totally agree, had a blast with my Normandie, and having a good time with Lyon working my way up. My comment was more a warning, if you don´t like the Normandie, don´t expect Lyon to be that much different. From my point of view you seem have the "same" ship with minor upgrades twice in this line, Normandie/Lyon and Richelieu/Alsace, so there is no point freee xp´ing past one and get stuck on the other which have worse MM.

Players
104 posts
3,949 battles

Well, Lyon has one thing Normandie does not : AA.

You go from having non-existent AA (really, in comparison even Dunkerque feels like a North Carolina) to best in tier.

This removes the only frustrating aspect of the Normandie for me (otherwise a great ship imho) : being defenceless against CVs. In Lyon, you're quite often ignored by the enemy CV for the whole battle unless he's Tier IX and even then you'll make quite a few holes in his squadrons.

Plus Tier VII MM is barely any different from tier VI MM, you rarely see tier IX battles.

So I'd say it's perfectly possible to dislike Normandie and like the Lyon.

Regarding OP's build : definitely agree with everyone in switching FP for CE : it allows you to disengage faster when focused by HE cruisers. This holds true for Lyon as well. Can't comment on the upper tiers, I've just reached Richelieu a few battles ago.

Players
81 posts
23,377 battles
On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 1:25 AM, affie said:

One thing to watch out for with both vessels (T6 & T7) are the angles on the mid turret. If I am not mistaken it has better angles to the rear than forward, so kite away and use 2 out of 3 of your turrets.  Cause if you get caught broadside it is back to port way to early in the battle, angled the armor can take a beating but not fully broadside.

About mid turret on Normandie I noticed it's pointed forward - so it's faster to switch sides the (majority of) guns is pointing when you're moving forward. Also it's quite easy to stay angled towards enemy in front of you and keep firing using 2 front turrets.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 1:25 AM, affie said:

And as all the other say, swap fire prevention for concealment expert untill you have 16 point captain and maybe get superintendent instead of basics of survivability and use the more expensive repair party for a total of 5 repairs with shorter cooldowns, fire damage are repairable and if you live longer you will earn more credits and exp.

Well, my current Normandie captain has CE and no FP... and boy, how it burnnnnnns. I'd say picking either CE or FP first is a sensible choice, but you'll feel the lack of other 4 pt skill. Probably the best idea is to take the other 4 pt skill immediately after taking first one (at 14 pts) and leave second 2 & 3 pt skills for later.

Sign in to follow this