Sehales

US Cruisers

5 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,752 posts
1,143 battles

The US cruisers are going to get reshuffled and starting with the second round of public test 0.7.5, you will be able to get your hands on them.

Please share your feedback about it here.

[PJ-UK]
[PJ-UK]
Players
5 posts
6,280 battles

the Cleveland at tier 8 do's not have the gun rang to be at that tier you get out gunned by all you come up against you need to up the gun rang to make it work.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,018 battles
1 hour ago, pjgdeath1 said:

the Cleveland at tier 8 do's not have the gun rang to be at that tier you get out gunned by all you come up against you need to up the gun rang to make it work.

You're not supposed to spam at 20km with those CLs, you know. That's where the "use cover" part comes in

Also I'd like to see you trying to hit anything with those rainbow arcs at long ranges when your shell flight time starts going past even BBs rudder shift time :fish_palm:

Players
97 posts
7,535 battles

Reposting a comment I already posted in General Feedback before this thread was unlocked:

Giving some feedback on the Buffalo here as the US cruisers thread is locked. I'm not convinced about the new Buffalo, tbh. Baltimore is a great ship because you can push caps bow on, keeping a respectable amount of your firepower forward, but with Buffalo's gun setup, you can only have half of your firepower forward (as it is, Balti has 101k forward HE DPM to Buffalo's 78k). Shooting your back turret and angling again is also harder in Buffalo with its worse rudder shift and turning radius. You also get worse concealment, which makes the problem of having a short range worse, and makes you a less effective radar ship.

This all indicates (worse concealment, rudder and necessity to use all turrets) that the Buffalo would play more like a DPM cruiser (staying at range using all of its damage) than like a cap pusher radar cruiser. In the end this makes the ship less useful for the team. Also it suffers more from the lack of range than Baltimore, so it might need reload mod too.

Of course the ship has its advantages, more alpha, more HP (74,5k with all heals, to Baltimore's 66,6k), slightly better AA. And, from what I've played in the PTS, it's definitely a fun ship to play (more dynamic playstyle instead of parking next to an island for half of the game), that alpha damage is awesome. And it looks great! Overall, you lose effectiveness but it gets more fun to play.

Players
3,041 posts
13,346 battles

Heavy Cruisers

I played the new tier 6 Pensacola, and tier 7 New Orleans. Both have a few slight nerfs (most noticeable in Pensacola with the poorer concealment and turret traverse) but both benefit hugely from dropping a tier.

Overall I would say it is a large buff to both ships!  Both ships have had a lot of hostility directed at them in the past, but I am sure that there will be less of this after the split.

Sadly, the "Short range glass cannon - but good at dodging incoming fire" play style does not suit me but I have no hesitation in calling these"GOOD SHIP" now.

Light Cruiser (Cleveland)

Two tier up is quite a jump - even for a ship which was so incredibly strong at its tier pre-split. Also the matchmaking at tier 8 is brutal (as many forum threads will attest)

However Cleveland is given new tools, and the rare ability to run both hydro AND AA consumables plus some significant buffing of its stats - in particular, turret traverse and rate of fire.

The ship is now a formidable ant-destroyer platform. The AA remains relatively strong, but even with a slight buff it is not the terror at tier 8 that it was at tier 6.

Good players will really enjoy the "new" Cleveland - when the situation is right they will be posting monster games on youtube.

But for the rest of us average players I predict that the new Cleveland will be a frustrating struggle.

I don't know a way out of it, but Wargaming cannot simply buff the Cleveland even more because it would then become OP in the hands of good players.

Now, for the new Tier 6 and tier 7 light cruisers this won't be such an issue. Their gun range isn't so limiting at that tier, and their opponents not quite so lethal.

They will probably be great fun to play, especially in Operations!:Smile_smile:

Overall, though (and the issue of the high skill ceiling on Cleveland excepted) Wargaming did a great job on this cruiser line split. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1