Sign in to follow this  
VC381

Iowa - positioning and target selection

6 comments in this topic

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

I now have 35 Iowa games under my belt, the last half dozen or so fully upgraded. On first inspection, I thought I would love this ship: beautiful, historical, fast, stealthy, great guns. Exactly what I look for in a BB. But it just isn't coming together as I hoped. Contrast my NC and Amagi stats, which end up in basically the same MM, and I'm doing quite a bit worse in what should be a better ship.

Now, I sort of know what the problem is, I hate parking/reversing and static playstyle so I refuse to do it. But I figure, if there's a BB that I can play in constant fluid motion (like a cruiser... or like Amagi) then Iowa's speed and general lack of tanking expectation gives me an excuse to do it. But then the rudder shift and turning circle are killing that dream too...

So I usually try to flank and depending on how that goes I either draw fire and kite (catch me if you can!) or go for a killing charge. The guns feel great but I'm not getting as much damage as I would like, as early as I would like. I guess I'm a T9 BB but I'm not used to everyone treating me as the No.1 threat to angle against 24/7. Sometimes the amazing dispersion actually makes me miss more. Yes I need to work on my aim but damn when cruisers see my Iowa they suddenly all remember how to dodge! Or they're so far away to start with there's no point shooting at them.

Again, I kind of know where the problem is. I'm firing from a bit further back, because I'm not comfortable risking this huge target with an even bigger turning circle at the sort of ranges I would take my "turns on a dime" NC in to. Sure I can sneak around but just a few seconds spotted by an unexpected DD halfway through a disengage turn and it's curtains.

Overall, I know my game impact is quite low even when I get a few good hits and eventually rack up decent damage. I'm sort of having fun tearing around the map and occasionally getting some ridiculous assassination salvos but it's getting boring as I'm not really winning and I'm bleeding credits playing it.

So what's the solution? How do I flex those 35 knots (yes, speed flag) while actually being useful? Where am I supposed to go and what am I supposed to be shooting at to maximise my damage and game impact?

[CATS]
Players
26,257 posts
14,159 battles

Flanking sounds right, that way the enemy fire comes from one side.

A more central position can used if you take advantage of islands.

Primary targets should be cruisers and DD (US BB AP is deadly for them).

• Cool 1

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Guess I need to go for DDs more. I'm usually positioned so my detection circle intersects the cap I'm backing up, far enough to not get spotted by enemy DDs but close enough to go for them.

Still feel target starved a lot. BBs are angled, cruisers are few, far away and dodging, DDs are smoked. I just fade away and try to reposition but then I feel like I'm wasting time not shooting. But if I do shoot I barely do any damage and draw unwelcome attention to myself too.

[NAES-]
Players
147 posts
20,402 battles

I agree completely.

En 17/5/2018 en 13:31, VC381 dijo:

I now have 35 Iowa games under my belt, the last half dozen or so fully upgraded. On first inspection, I thought I would love this ship: beautiful, historical, fast, stealthy, great guns. Exactly what I look for in a BB. But it just isn't coming together as I hoped. Contrast my NC and Amagi stats, which end up in basically the same MM, and I'm doing quite a bit worse in what should be a better ship.

Now, I sort of know what the problem is, I hate parking/reversing and static playstyle so I refuse to do it. But I figure, if there's a BB that I can play in constant fluid motion (like a cruiser... or like Amagi) then Iowa's speed and general lack of tanking expectation gives me an excuse to do it. But then the rudder shift and turning circle are killing that dream too...

So I usually try to flank and depending on how that goes I either draw fire and kite (catch me if you can!) or go for a killing charge. The guns feel great but I'm not getting as much damage as I would like, as early as I would like. I guess I'm a T9 BB but I'm not used to everyone treating me as the No.1 threat to angle against 24/7. Sometimes the amazing dispersion actually makes me miss more. Yes I need to work on my aim but damn when cruisers see my Iowa they suddenly all remember how to dodge! Or they're so far away to start with there's no point shooting at them.

Again, I kind of know where the problem is. I'm firing from a bit further back, because I'm not comfortable risking this huge target with an even bigger turning circle at the sort of ranges I would take my "turns on a dime" NC in to. Sure I can sneak around but just a few seconds spotted by an unexpected DD halfway through a disengage turn and it's curtains.

Overall, I know my game impact is quite low even when I get a few good hits and eventually rack up decent damage. I'm sort of having fun tearing around the map and occasionally getting some ridiculous assassination salvos but it's getting boring as I'm not really winning and I'm bleeding credits playing it.

So what's the solution? How do I flex those 35 knots (yes, speed flag) while actually being useful? Where am I supposed to go and what am I supposed to be shooting at to maximise my damage and game impact?

Players
499 posts
On 5/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, VC381 said:

Try to distract them with chat until they show perfect broadside.

Sign in to follow this