Sign in to follow this  
Cmdr_Law

Overpenetrating other BB's

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
8 posts
1,054 battles

Hey all,

Been away from the game for a while, and just gotten back into it. My Fuso was pretty high in EXP so managed to snag a Nagato pretty quickly.

Now the frustrations I am having currently is getting loads and sodding loads of Overpenetrations against other Battleships...Like Tier IX BBs I'm doing nothing too as Salvos are often 3-4 overpens. 

Can't seem to find any obvious mention of this issue online for some reason. 

What on Earth am I doing wrong? Generally aiming for the Citadel but shot dispersal not great, but still it's surprising to get so many Overpenetrating shots against enemy Battleships.

Is this normal? Should I be firing HE more?

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,551 posts
6,887 battles

Hmm, maybe you aim for the citadell, but you hit the low armored bow and stern?

Beta Tester
2,255 posts
2,948 battles

The problem is you're not really including enough information. Are your shots missing high? Not giving enough lead? Giving too much lead?

Too many questions, not enough answers to answer your question there at the moment..

Beta Tester
8 posts
1,054 battles

Definitely aim for the center. 

There is no obvious consistent ways the shells disperse. They can go high/low or bow/stern, there is no set direction they are scattering due to aim it's just the RNG.

Just surpised that even if the dispersal of shells means the shot doesn't hit the citadel that the shots don't even cause normal penetrating hits..
Like I expect over pens on cruisers and destroyers but other battleships?

Just surpsied that I am getting constant overpens... 

This just feels very off to me.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,297 battles

The type of ship doesn't determine overpens, the thickness of armour does. Some BBs (E.g. German) have medium armour over a lot of the ship. This makes them more resistant to smaller ship fire but means they take normal penetrations everywhere from other BBs, like you expect. But other BBs, especially American, have thick citadel armour and basically nothing else. They are designed to let other BBs overpen them. Check what you're shooting at and where you hit, then check that BBs armour layout.

Nagato has the biggest guns at its tier, actually in a T9 game you still have the biggest guns in the match (if there is no Musashi). And at higher tiers more BBs use the "all or nothing" armour principle so you overpen more.

Beta Tester
8 posts
1,054 battles
14 minutes ago, VC381 said:

The type of ship doesn't determine overpens, the thickness of armour does. Some BBs (E.g. German) have medium armour over a lot of the ship. This makes them more resistant to smaller ship fire but means they take normal penetrations everywhere from other BBs, like you expect. But other BBs, especially American, have thick citadel armour and basically nothing else. They are designed to let other BBs overpen them. Check what you're shooting at and where you hit, then check that BBs armour layout.

Nagato has the biggest guns at its tier, actually in a T9 game you still have the biggest guns in the match (if there is no Musashi). And at higher tiers more BBs use the "all or nothing" armour principle so you overpen more.

Thanks, that's a very helpful response. I know it's the thickness of the armour but didn't realise quite how much of a swing was present in certain BBs.

So is it just better to load HE to prevent this unless a nice broadside becomes availiable? 

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,011 battles
1 hour ago, Ninjalaw said:

Like I expect over pens on cruisers and destroyers but other battleships?

Superstructure is about as well armoured as the average DD. Similarly when he's broadside to you those relatively thin bows & sterns have next to nothing to stop your shell so it passes clean through

Hits on the midships hull result in overpens very rarely - and those same are "upper hull" hits.

Hits on the BBs main belt.... if you pen that I don't think it's possible to overpen, BBs (even the thin ones) are too fat so the shell explodes before exiting

Players
433 posts
3,970 battles
33 minutes ago, Ninjalaw said:

So is it just better to load HE to prevent this unless a nice broadside becomes availiable? 

Probably not worth it, considering the long reload of BB's. Of course if, say, a North Carolina or Musashi is sternly sitting nose in, then HE may be good. However I currently play the Colorado a lot at the moment, so loading HE is a total waste with how strong the AP is. My advice would be to just put up with some RNG dispersion, and by playing lots of games you should get a feel of where to aim again.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,297 battles
47 minutes ago, Ninjalaw said:

Thanks, that's a very helpful response. I know it's the thickness of the armour but didn't realise quite how much of a swing was present in certain BBs.

You can get normal penetrations on most BBs that are slightly angled, enough to arm your fuse but not enough to bounce.

As others said switching the best AP shells in your tier to HE is a waste. The real answer if you can't damage something is find another target, one you can punish because they don't expect it. Nagato turret traverse is quite fast for a BB, it supports opportunistic target switching well.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,011 battles
8 minutes ago, Ninjalaw said:

....I just get bounces or overpens on most salvos.

Must be unlucky I guess.

That's pretty normal for BBs tbh

Beta Tester
8 posts
1,054 battles

URgggghhh Okay.

Warspire at 7km.

Have him at broadside several times.

NOT ONE PENETRATION.

Wracked up about 20 overpens with a couple of bounces...  (I started counting)

Then get lose 70% of health to a BB accross the map with a single shot at a worse angle to me than I have on the Warspite :/

Just having no luck at all with the Nagato....

Fuso and Bismark...not a problem at all. Just those new guns seem to hate me....

Is there something weird I should be aiming for with the higher Calibres? Might have a hunt for some guides.

Sorry for Ranting, but this was just the last bloody straw.

Beta Tester
2,255 posts
2,948 battles

Hate to say it, but..RNG alone can not be to blame that, ain't no way, ain't no how.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,011 battles
4 hours ago, Ninjalaw said:

Warspire at 7km.

Have him at broadside several times.

NOT ONE PENETRATION.

Wracked up about 20 overpens with a couple of bounces...  (I started counting)

Kinda sounds like you are simply aiming way too high. Aim for the waterline not the deck

Any chance you have replays enabled? That would be a far easier way to comment on whats going wrong (here's how to enable them if you haven't already - https://na.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/articles/128/ )

Beta Tester
8 posts
1,054 battles

I have not got replays. I will get more practice in with the aiming and see if things improve.

If not will grab some replays and ask for some advice.

Thanks for the help so far. Very appreciated. 

Sign in to follow this