Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ferry_25

Jean-Jaques Honore advice

26 comments in this topic

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Boosted him to 19. 3 points left. Intention is keeping him on the French BB line up till T10 with "tank build" So far: Prio target, Expert marksman, AR, Superint, Concealment expert and fire prevention. I'm in doubt. BFT, to counter some planes? Basics of surv for more fire "immunity?" Or Expert loader/ Jack. Or expert loader/ High alert? What's your advice?

Players
3,041 posts
13,312 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Basics of Survivability is in my opinion much better than Fire Prevention.

...and this is because ...?

"ColonelPete says so?"

Or does ColonelPete have reasons which he would care to share with us lesser mortals?

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles
10 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

"ColonelPete says so?"

Or does ColonelPete have reasons which he would care to share with us lesser mortals?

Relax bro/ sis. I'm only asking for advice here. Not to start a "opinion war."

Edit: my goal is Republique. I'm looking for the optimal build for JJH in that ship.

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles

imo I would go for basics of survivability since it looks like you're going for a tank build, tank build works out consistently for me.

BFT would be nice, but you have pretty short range AA without putting on any modules or commander skills, so with a tank build it wouldn't work out. Same with expert loader, you have a pretty quick reload time so it isn't a necessity imo 

• Cool 2

[TTT]
Players
4,206 posts
7,925 battles

for me personally, the french BBs after Lyon don't need Expert Marksman anymore, with 36°/s base traverse (which is also why I put Monsier Honore on the Henri IV). And, if you're so inclined, from that point on secondary builds are also pretty decent on them...

But if you want to keep him there and stick with EM (it's not like that's a bad choice, not at all!), then I'd probably recommend Basics of Survivability for your last three points, or if you're comfortable with your resistance to turning into French Toast then you could consider BFT for the boost to your already mean AA. I don't rate either Jack of all Trades or High Alert all that highly for two points...

• Cool 2

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Or would a secondary build be viable in the French BB line? For me it's working perfectly in the German BB line.

Players
137 posts
6,579 battles
Just now, Ferry_25 said:

Or would a secondary build be viable in the French BB line? For me it's working perfectly in the German BB line.

it's def viable, french have a real nice fire chance on their secondaries so with manual designation it's like having a mini cruiser on your ship. I suppose what you have to decide is, do you want to go for a tank build that will likely work out more effective in battle, or do you go for the more fun approach and go for a secondary build 

• Cool 1

Players
2,165 posts
4 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

I've seen quite a few secondary built Alsace and Republiques, they seem to do well, BFT and AFT also help with the already decent AA so it's not a terrible idea.

Just depends how you feel about the tankiness. Fire Prevention and Basics of Survivability are very effective for boosting the tankish aspects. I'm of the opinion either works fine.

Manual secondaries means giving up Concealment Expert and the Frenchies aren't that heavily armoured, fun but it's a risk if you want/need to disengage.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,206 posts
7,925 battles

yeah pretty much what Xaero said. I'll add one thing: Richelieu and especially Alsace really want IFHE for a secondary build, because that allows their massive 100mm batteries to actually damage things as opposed to just plinking them and setting the occasional fire. Same deal as with Akizuki HE essentially... Republique can do without IFHE, but is still good with Secondary spec (and can thus take Concealment or Fire Prevention instead).

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
16,349 posts
11,323 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

"ColonelPete says so?"

15% fire damage reduction vs 10% fire damage reduction and max 3 fires.

I rarely have more than two fires on my ships and three and four fires usually result in Damage Control activation.

BoS also reduces repair times by 15% in case something gets broken. Flooding reduction is not that important as you either sink before or use DCP.

And all for one point less.

• Cool 4

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,725 posts
9,234 battles

For the République, since the guns have a mind of their own, your ship is fast, and everyone knows that you can be HE spammed for loads of damage, a good amount of tanking skills and synergizing with improved adrenaline rush.

I know this is a bit controversial, but the EU server has a huge hard-on for concealment. While it might be invaluable for more organized play, I find it's not as necessary on the rather large and visible République in random battles, which heavily relies on constant pressure rather than a large salvo burst, so I don't take it.

I use:

(1) priority target : for obvious reasons

(2) adrenaline rush : gotta shoot fast

(2) expert marksman : to counteract the slower turrets when you mount main battery mod 3 and keep it under 40 seconds

(3) superintendent : moar heals = moar damage

(3) basics of survivability : for obvious fire-related reasons

(4) fire prevention : see above

(4) advanced fire training : a bit more AA range and secondary pressure on nearby targets, although taking CE instead works just as well.

This build is serving pretty well.
I have enough staying power to let the guns fire long and often enough to get good hits, then retreat if the return fire is too persuasive.

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
416 posts
15 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

I rarely have more than two fires on my ships and three and four fires usually result in Damage Control activation.

BoS also reduces repair times by 15% in case something gets broken. Flooding reduction is not that important as you either sink before or use DCP.

Not arguing about the relative merits, but it's 15% reduction in fire, flooding, and repair time vs 10% reduction in fire chance and maximum of three fires.

• Cool 3

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
416 posts

I'm not sure if you are arguing, but if you are then note the italics. You said "15% fire damage reduction vs 10% fire damage reduction" and I was pointing out that the 15% and the 10% are not affecting the same thing. One affects the time for the fire to burn out, and hence the maximum damage it can cause, and the other affects the chance that the fire will happen in the first place.

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,044 posts
24,856 battles
9 minutes ago, Johmie said:

I'm not sure if you are arguing, but if you are then note the italics. You said "15% fire damage reduction vs 10% fire damage reduction" and I was pointing out that the 15% and the 10% are not affecting the same thing. One affects the time for the fire to burn out, and hence the maximum damage it can cause, and the other affects the chance that the fire will happen in the first place.

I have done the sec build on my captains, the fun but not the most efficient build, mainly as I have all the other lines and I want them different. maybe I will respec later.

That percentage thing is really difficult to calculate on, on cruisers and ships that does not have repair I have some times used the BoS, especially lower tier ships.

I can not remember any thread that deals or calculates with this matter. Especially if you calculate lots of HE against you.

[CATS]
Players
16,349 posts
11,323 battles
51 minutes ago, Johmie said:

10% reduction in chance of fire is on average 10% less fire damage...

[SCRUB]
Players
2,968 posts
7,907 battles

"chance"  is always a rng risk. actual dmg/time reduction sounds more reliable.

i was going for a solid sec/tank build for T8/T9 ... andy good builds?

[UNICS]
Players
1,244 posts
15,656 battles
9 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

Boosted him to 19. 3 points left. Intention is keeping him on the French BB line up till T10 with "tank build" So far: Prio target, Expert marksman, AR, Superint, Concealment expert and fire prevention. I'm in doubt. BFT, to counter some planes? Basics of surv for more fire "immunity?" Or Expert loader/ Jack. Or expert loader/ High alert? What's your advice?

I have Frankenstein build for lyon and Aigle , i just have to accept that this will be my first DD without LS skill :etc_red_button:

[NED]
Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Thanks people. I think I'll try different builds when I reach Republique.

Players
3,041 posts
13,312 battles
12 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Great reply! :Smile_honoring:

Seriously. Great reply! :Smile_honoring:

I have saved it in my notes in case I ever try to play battleships seriously.

It is so much more informative and educational when you explain your reasoning. Please, please do it more often.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,914 posts
7,006 battles

French have no armour, which means you'll have HE slinged at you a lot. Sensible thing for the tank build would be to reduce dmg that does - and the way yo could do it would be by reducing fire duration. So I'd go with the BoS

EL.... I mean, with 10s swap time it probably wouldn't be that bad... I personally use that only on John Doe with its 7s swap, but 10s doesn't sound that bad. If you go with that JoaT probably would be better than HA just bcuz it boosts not only your Rs cooldown, but also your heals and spood beests cds.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
957 posts
12,106 battles
12 hours ago, Ferry_25 said:

French BB need to be played with secondary build. Everything else wastes huge potential. Especially T8 and above are crazy good with secondaries. 

I’m running a full sec/ifhe build and I take up about 50-60k dmg a round with no Rainer secondaries alone. It’s fabulous :)

[SCRUB]
Players
5,449 posts
9,467 battles
12 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

I rarely have more than two fires on my ships

Thing is that most fires will be started on the superstructure/mid part of the ship. And that's where fire prevention comes into effect, combining those two fire zones into one.

Worth it imo.

[CATS]
Players
16,349 posts
11,323 battles

I used Fire Prevention for a time and did not notice a difference.

The shortened burn time with BoS makes it easy to control the amount of fire damage you get.

Sign in to follow this