Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Infiriel

Simple sulotion for border humping?

25 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
374 posts
5,282 battles

Oh the beloved border surfers, who doesn`t like them. It`s kind of hard to aim at them, and they can press forward while retaining angle, essentially moving sideways. (damn wg physics)

Why is it allowed i`ll never know.

I suggest to make running into border deal damage to the ship, ideally in an exponentially increasing fashion, so you can steer out of the border in case you get rammed into it, or else.

Same thing with island ramming - why it doesn`t deal any damage to a ship (Titanic anyone?).

I belive this is one of the reasons why island hugging is so popular.

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
374 posts
5,282 battles
1 minutę temu, ColonelPete napisał:

These ships are nearly motionless. They are easy to hit and no problem.

Maybe i was wrong with "hard to aim".

It`s still hard to DAMAGE those guys, because they can remain angled while moving sideways at difficult to estimate speed, if they`re unwilling to stop surfing.

Beta Tester
2,187 posts
2,398 battles

Driving into islands (or allied ships) shouldn't deal damage, since collision damage would then quickly become the main cause of death in the game. The maps we play on, are - by necessity - so much smaller than irl oceans, that having collisions deal realistic damage simply wouldn't work out. (Except when ramming an enemy ship, of course, but that's another matter.)

As for the border hugging problem, I agree that it can be vexing at times. I don't really see why borders have to work the way they do; not that I have an informed alternative to offer. But I have really rather seldom encountered anyone actively abusing border hugging, and even then, I can't say I have noticed it being of any great use to them. But an explaining post from anyone who happens to be in the know, would be most interesting...?

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
242 posts
3,099 battles

I hardly see any border huggers these days. 

[CATS]
Players
16,376 posts
11,328 battles
32 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

Maybe i was wrong with "hard to aim".

It`s still hard to DAMAGE those guys, because they can remain angled while moving sideways at difficult to estimate speed, if they`re unwilling to stop surfing.

And? They are out of position anyway. The match objective is somewhere else.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,422 posts
11,318 battles

Literal border hugging isn't a problem in this game for a LONG time (since the introduction of reduced engine capacity). Don't try to make it look like a problem. I can't remember the last time I saw someone just sailing towards and staying on the borderline out of their own free will unless they were a carrier (and even these are extremely rare in doing so). The last time I remember someone glued to the border, it was some poor BB that ended up hitting the line while engaged in battle and then spent a couple minutes trying to unglue the nigh-stationary piece of junk from the engine-draining hell. Hitting the border is currently more punishing that hitting an island and talking about "pushing forwards angled" by sliding sounds like someone who never found themselves stranded on the line. The only situation where people hit the line and willingly stay there are those who have no choice because to unglue they would need to turn broadside on and be deleted. So - already being a sitting duck - they prefer to at least remain an angled sitting duck. It's not using the line - it's making the best of a terrible situation that resulted from them running out of the map.

[UNICS]
Players
3,261 posts
12,813 battles

I'm not sure the 'aim assist' in the game works properly when they're border humping. Same when ships have beached, sometimes the shells fly not where they're supposed to....

[-TXG-]
Players
2,442 posts
43 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

I hardly see any border huggers these days. 

Same here but when I do it tends to be good/excellent players on the wrong end of a drubbing exploiting the border to get a few last salvos in before the end.

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
28 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I'm not sure the 'aim assist' in the game works properly when they're border humping. Same when ships have beached, sometimes the shells fly not where they're supposed to....

If they fix this problem I don't see an inherent problem with borderhugging. If a ship changes direction or speed suddenly you're probably going to miss even if you aim where the ship will actually be when the shells land. It's sort of like aiming perfectly at a ship before realising you have the wrong ship selected.

Beta Tester
1,910 posts
6,248 battles
7 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

aiming perfectly at a ship before realising you have the wrong ship selected.

Soo this lol, the ammount of times i had this happen :Smile_veryhappy:

Especially if two ships are too close to eachother, alwas selects the ship not broadside :Smile_smile:

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
872 posts
7,547 battles
2 hours ago, Infiriel said:

Same thing with island ramming - why it doesn`t deal any damage to a ship (Titanic anyone?).

trust me, we tried it in some very very early stage of alpha, and you DON'T WANT  to try it, trust me

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

Literal border hugging isn't a problem in this game for a LONG time (since the introduction of reduced engine capacity). Don't try to make it look like a problem. I can't remember the last time I saw someone just sailing towards and staying on the borderline out of their own free will unless they were a carrier (and even these are extremely rare in doing so). The last time I remember someone glued to the border, it was some poor BB that ended up hitting the line while engaged in battle and then spent a couple minutes trying to unglue the nigh-stationary piece of junk from the engine-draining hell. Hitting the border is currently more punishing that hitting an island and talking about "pushing forwards angled" by sliding sounds like someone who never found themselves stranded on the line. The only situation where people hit the line and willingly stay there are those who have no choice because to unglue they would need to turn broadside on and be deleted. So - already being a sitting duck - they prefer to at least remain an angled sitting duck. It's not using the line - it's making the best of a terrible situation that resulted from them running out of the map.

Guess you still need to master the great technique of "Border Humpho" which is quite devastating when used properly, but you need to be one with the border to achieve it.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,195 posts
6,764 battles

Many games solves this by saying you re leaving the battlezone and orders you to return at once. If you don't do it in a certain amount of time you get damage from an invisible source (theorically you re being attacked by your own troops for deserting from the battle).

However... There is a simpler solution than this: If you to the border of the map you could still sail normally (no invisible wall) but you lose control of your rudder. Your navigator forces you back into the battle zone (like when the game automatically takes control of your rudder to avoid an island, but there is no way to cancel this). Enemies would still be able to target you normally outside this border.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,422 posts
11,318 battles
1 hour ago, Sargento_YO said:

Many games solves this by saying you re leaving the battlezone and orders you to return at once. If you don't do it in a certain amount of time you get damage from an invisible source (theorically you re being attacked by your own troops for deserting from the battle).

However... There is a simpler solution than this: If you to the border of the map you could still sail normally (no invisible wall) but you lose control of your rudder. Your navigator forces you back into the battle zone (like when the game automatically takes control of your rudder to avoid an island, but there is no way to cancel this). Enemies would still be able to target you normally outside this border.

Problem is, in WoWs these things wouldn't really work well. Problem with ships is that:

1. They turn like crap (yes, even DDs)

2. They accelerate and decelerate slowly

3. Guns rotate very slowly (especially on BBs)

4. Angle towards the enemy is extremely important

We really don't have a problem of border humping. It's rarely seen, it's not very effective and on most maps borders are far away from any points of interest. The people who happen to run into the border tend to try and unglue them asap. And the rare cases when someone ends up on the border and does NOT try to do something about it right away? This happens. Rarely, but it does. Why, however? Looking at these cases lets us determine that - almost always - it's because doing anything else is a suicide. The ship is all out of the map to sail through and to avoid the border, a turn is necessary... but such a turn would mean exposing broadside. Or, in the luckier version, angling would still be possible but you'd need to swing half your firepower some 320 degrees.

The reality is that we really don't need to do any more to discourage "borderhumping" - it hardly ever happens. And among all the suggestions, they are almost all really excessive. In fact, making the whole border solid (so that it behaves like an island) would be - in the context of WoWs - a much softer approach than most of these proposals.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
374 posts
5,282 battles

I think i should clarify that the point of this suggestion isn`t to punish the deed, but to deter BBabies, and other border huggers from hugging the border in the first place.

Weekend Tester
807 posts
5,420 battles
5 hours ago, Major_Damage225 said:

b8280870dd619bd08d948a7ff443ac46.jpg.4adc3734a6a6848caa283f7b92393323.jpg

:Smile_great:

Easy fix and Problem solved. 

:Smile_trollface:

That with dropping animation and manly voice w/ pop up message: Shameful dispray

[SCRUB]
Players
2,018 posts

Mines? We already have them in the game. Let's spread love all around the battlefield!

[FDUSH]
Players
1,195 posts
6,764 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

Problem is, in WoWs these things wouldn't really work well. Problem with ships is that:

1. They turn like crap (yes, even DDs)

2. They accelerate and decelerate slowly

3. Guns rotate very slowly (especially on BBs)

4. Angle towards the enemy is extremely important

Exactly. Those are good enought punishments for not paying attention and borderhug. (Or for trying to do it purposedly)

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles
3 hours ago, Infiriel said:

I think i should clarify that the point of this suggestion isn`t to punish the deed, but to deter BBabies, and other border huggers from hugging the border in the first place.

The problem isn't really as much borderhugging as "some players" tendency to stay as close to the border furthest from the batttle as possible. And if I'm being generous I can also add that they also try to stay within the max range of their guns. I don't think this problem is easily solvable by making the border itself dangerous in any way.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
374 posts
5,282 battles
1 godzinę temu, Runegrem napisał:

I don't think this problem is easily solvable by making the border itself dangerous in any way.

Victory comes in small steps though.

I belive that giving BBabies at least a notion that border isn`t your friend, will make them avoid it a bit more.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,422 posts
11,318 battles
30 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

Victory comes in small steps though.

I belive that giving BBabies at least a notion that border isn`t your friend, will make them avoid it a bit more.

Ending pretty much dead in the water with engine that doesn't propel you forward and rudder that hardly seems to be doing anything - it's pretty clear that the border isn't your friend.

And, incidentally, you're right - they do avoid it. As in, already. Without the need to add any more contrived deterrents.

Players
1,107 posts
8,552 battles

I only ever hit the border when fighting, when concentrating more on angles of attack/defense than map boundaries and it does happen.

Most people though don't want to sit on the border and try to disengage quickly if they hit the line. No fun losing speed in a fight.

I have seen afk's run into the border and sit there but they don't usually survive for long. CV's frequently sit on the lines but this makes them less effective as their aircraft can have longer to fly to and from target and they are in my opinion more easily detected as you can follow the flight path of returning aircraft and figure out where the CV is.

I do think that after 90 seconds of being inactive on the border a warning should flash, unless they are actively fighting an opponent, maybe a reduction in XP or coin at the end?

Some maps have crucial cap zones that are close to borders and sometimes when turning to escape a bad situation you can hit the border line in a battleship.

Sign in to follow this