SuiGen

Ship Selection based on Play Style

6 comments in this topic

[ERL]
Beta Tester
6 posts
3,571 battles

Hi there,

First time posting in the forum, despite occasionally visiting it for topics of interest (hope this is in the right section).

I originally participated in the closed beta and played maybe around 100 matches at the time. If my memory serves, there were only Japanese and American ships, and not too many of them. I then left the game for more than 2? years and came back at the beginning of this year. WAY more content and a huge player base. The skill level also seems considerably sharper.

So, I'm an average player. A very average player. I don't consider myself useless, and I do strive to try and do better than before, so I don't think I bring down any team I am on - although I'm no matchwinner either.

I've read some ship reviews and understand your need to determine your own innate preferences based on your approach to playing the game. While I've never recorded a game I've played, so don't have physical hindsight, I would class myself as a conservative player - probably happy to stand-off at a distance and use sharper aiming to inflict damage (does this make me crap?). I don't class myself as an aggressive player at all. I almost always hammered to death if I go aggressive; allies peel off in faster ships and I'm left out of position.

So I would like to ask some help around the type of ships I should focus on. The capability dichotomy of the game indicates you cant have it all. EITHER you're fast and have no armour, or you're slower and do. EITHER you've got slow, but inaccurate powerful guns, or vice versa. So, there are no magic combinations.

If I like hard hitting ships, with sufficient armour to forgive my noobishness if I make a mistake or two in positioning or angling, what ships or tree line should I go for? I'm asking regarding BBs. I can't make DDs work... the frenetic micro-management is just not for me...

Since I really love naval history, I've supported the game with premium purchases and have a (fairly)? broad selection of ships, but I don't even have more than 900 games under the belt. So bear that in mind.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you very much.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

If you want armor and speed, go for t8-9 French BBs. They can do up to 36 knots, faster than various cruisers. Of course, they turn much worse than cruisers but accelerate faster than any other BB when Engine Boost is turned on. Drawbacks? Well, Richie's firepower seems a bit anemic. Alsace corrects that with 50% more guns at the expense of stealth and some turning ability.  The armor is not horrendous, in fact they both lend themselves to bowtanking, which is very good indeed against the AP of most BBs (but not vs. Yamato, Musashi, possibly Republique). They're more vulnerable to HE spam from cruisers, which is where that sharp aim will be needed. The AA is good if you invest in MFCAA, which makes you more self-sufficient in a match with CVs.

Now personally, I don't recommend sniping in a BB as a playstyle focus - you want to get as close as you can afford to tank damage and deliver more reliable hits. But if you want better ranged capability, Japan and France are the ones to look at. Nelson is one where a passive, cautious playstyle is basically enforced until there are no more BBs around that can exploit the massive citadel.

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,109 posts
8,904 battles

Welcome to the forums mate.

I believe that german BBs would suit you the most for a start as they tend to be the most forgiving. Now, it is true that they have quite the poor dispersion, so sniping might not be the best idea,  but they do have a very good turtleback armor which limits the chance of you recieving critical citadels. While they are considered to be brawlers (and with their secondaries they indeed are), they do have the speed to get away if need be, and they can also be good medium range damage dealers.

US and japanese could suit you aswell as they can be used effectively at longer ranges, just be careful not to show too much of your side to the enemy as they have no turtleback.

[ERL]
Beta Tester
6 posts
3,571 battles

Thanks for the welcome and the replies so far.

With German BBs, they tend to favour close to medium-range combat no? Secondaries, torpedoes... etc. I do like the solid armour, though.

I don't have very many of the French BBs, so don't know how they play past a certain tier. I will certainly look at the Richelieu and Alsace. Thanks for the recommendation.

I get the sense that U.S. and Japanese (and French?) are the longer range choices over the U.K and German, which are better at shorter ranges?

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles
24 minutes ago, SuiGen said:

Thanks for the welcome and the replies so far.

With German BBs, they tend to favour close to medium-range combat no? Secondaries, torpedoes... etc. I do like the solid armour, though.

I don't have very many of the French BBs, so don't know how they play past a certain tier. I will certainly look at the Richelieu and Alsace. Thanks for the recommendation.

I get the sense that U.S. and Japanese (and French?) are the longer range choices over the U.K and German, which are better at shorter ranges?

Germans are the best at short-close range because they later get either torps or hydro, + good secondaries. Besides, the main-gun accuracy is atrocious and getting citadelled is an alien concept to them. Japanese are not recommended for close range because they lack most of the above, but Mutsu has torps, so does Kii (both premiums) while Nagato is, I hear, viable for a secondary build. French get good secondaries from at least t6, and Lyon is very scary up-close. US tend to have garbage secondaries and bad side armor. I wouldn't go brawling with them, you're supposed to bowtank.

Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
5 hours ago, MoveZig said:

US tend to have garbage secondaries and bad side armor.

In fact all or nothing armor scheme is rather weak in game mechanics.

It takes lots of HE penetrations...

Until T6 even destroyers can HE pen nearly every part of USN BBs (while some others are almost immune) and then also needs angling to block APs...

Gunboat destroyer can rack up 10k AP damage quite fast against broadside showing BB without real armor outside belt armor.

(which neither works against big guns without angling)

So from that original supposedly brawler line they've been seriously demoted with most newer BBs having better working armor layouts/lack of citadel. (+also secondaries)

Sign in to follow this