You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

How do you like new Match Making (MM) engine introduced with v0.7.4 ?

31 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,385 posts
15,273 battles

Hi all,

How do you like new Match Making (MM) engine introduced with v0.7.4 ?

IMHO I like it especially because I don't recall seeing any DD number discrepancy in "Domination" games any more (which were present before 0:1 / 1:2 / 2:3 / 3:4 and if the weaker side lost 1 more DD the game was usually over for them)!

BTW, and again IMHO, the one and only thing that is still requiring tweaking is the CV imbalance of experience.

CV are so influential (in games where they are present of course ) that any big discrepancy in CV experience between sides usually means the difference between victory and defeat (i.e. the side with much less experienced CV usually hugely suffers).

Would it then, perhaps, be possible to, somehow, introduce the "Experience Leveling" for only CVs in MM so that experience of CV is used for Match Making and that no big discrepancies are allowed (i.e. no more beginner "Ranger" vs. Unicum "Saipan" or "Kaga")?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

Players
1,567 posts
10,261 battles

Now they should fix one side 4 radars another 1. And ill be satisfied.

• Cool 8

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,385 posts
15,273 battles

Hi all,

3 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

Ahh... yes... true... forgot to mention that as well - thanks! :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

MM being mirrored of course is a good thing, despite some "special" people failing to understand

As for

35 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

the one and only thing that is still requiring tweaking is the CV imbalance of experience.

You can't fix stupid

• Funny 2

Players
3,999 posts
12 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Makes no difference to me.

Games are not better or worse.

Same ... havent noticed any real difference.

Infact, I even forgot what was changed :Smile_hiding:

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles
41 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Makes no difference to me.

Games are not better or worse.

MM is far less prone to mismatching ship classes making for lopsided team strenghts, but WG still can't fix stupid so the knobends playing the ships potato just as usual.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,645 posts
11,699 battles

No more 3-cap Domination games where the enemy has 3 DDs while you have 2 and one of them is a Tashkent. So the change gets a + from me.

Of course you can still get teammates who go AFK or play so badly that they might as well go AFK, but you can't (and shouldn't) balance skill - at least the crushing defeats are usually delivered by difference in skill/player performance now, not by difference in ships assigned to each team.

One remaining problem is Radar dispparities, but even that seems to have gotten slightly better as a side effect for some reason. Or perhaps I'm just lucky lately.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,768 posts
19,410 battles
5 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Would it then, perhaps, be possible to, somehow, introduce the "Experience Leveling" for only CVs in MM so that experience of CV is used for Match Making and that no big discrepancies are allowed (i.e. no more beginner "Ranger" vs. Unicum "Saipan" or "Kaga")?

And how exactly does this improve CV MM when you can literally get unicum stats just by knowing what the alt key does since almost everyone, not just CVs, is braindead?

Players
502 posts
12,219 battles

I like the idea that they have sorted out unequal sides in terms of the actual make up of the MM, but I'm still a bit concerned about ship attributes (radar) being a tad one sided at times :Smile_honoring:

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
226 posts
On 15.5.2018 at 1:02 PM, Leo_Apollo11 said:

IMHO I like it especially because I don't recall seeing any DD number discrepancy in "Domination" games any more (which were present before 0:1 / 1:2 / 2:3 / 3:4 and if the weaker side lost 1 more DD the game was usually over for them)! [...]

On 15.5.2018 at 2:49 PM, eliastion said:

No more 3-cap Domination games where the enemy has 3 DDs while you have 2 and one of them is a Tashkent. So the change gets a + from me. [...]

Funny, I still tend to end up in matches with uneven numbers of destroyers (as well as cruisers or battleships) on a regular basis.

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles

It`s better, yet still suboptimal.

15.05.2018 o 13:22, Boris_MNE napisał:

This pretty much sums it up.
For example you shouldn`t expect 2 Shimas and a Zao to beat 2 Z52`s and De Moines.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,645 posts
11,699 battles
53 minutes ago, Benaulim said:

Funny, I still tend to end up in matches with uneven numbers of destroyers (as well as cruisers or battleships) on a regular basis.

Well, it depends on the time. When the queue dries up and you get people waiting upwards 3 minutes, the "new MM" goes straight out the window to make it easier to put a game together. So if you play a lot at times when the population is poor, you're likely to encounter quite a bit of the "old MM".

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
226 posts
36 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Well, it depends on the time. When the queue dries up and you get people waiting upwards 3 minutes, the "new MM" goes straight out the window to make it easier to put a game together. So if you play a lot at times when the population is poor, you're likely to encounter quite a bit of the "old MM".

8:10 CEST today, about 3000 players online, no carrier involved, nothing unsual. I am pretty certain there was another one with 2:1 destroyers yet can't be bothererd to look through the replays. That would be two out of eleven matches today.

shot-18.05.16_08.10.03-0107.jpg

[TOXIC]
Players
4,645 posts
11,699 battles
4 minutes ago, Benaulim said:

8:10 CEST today, about 3000 players online, no carrier involved, nothing unsual. I am pretty certain there was another one with 2:1 destroyers yet can't be bothererd to look through the replays. That would be two out of eleven matches today.

shot-18.05.16_08.10.03-0107.jpg

...you're surprised that MM struggles at 8 AM?

EDIT:

I just checked, for comparison. CURRENTLY there's around 13 750 players online on EU. I think this gives some perspective on how well populated the queue is with 3 000 :Smile-_tongue:

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
226 posts
Just now, eliastion said:

...you're surprised that MM struggles at 8 AM?

Come on, I am playing this long enough to know when the matchmaking is struggling due to a lack of players. I am almost exclusively playing before noon. 3000 players (maybe even more) is just fine, there was no unusual waiting queue and as you can see except for that division it's pretty balanced. In fact we even won since - on Okinawa - the enemy lot starting north slowly advanced through A while we sunk a couple of DDs quickly between B and C.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,645 posts
11,699 battles
1 hour ago, Benaulim said:

Come on, I am playing this long enough to know when the matchmaking is struggling due to a lack of players. I am almost exclusively playing before noon. 3000 players (maybe even more) is just fine, there was no unusual waiting queue and as you can see except for that division it's pretty balanced. In fact we even won since - on Okinawa - the enemy lot starting north slowly advanced through A while we sunk a couple of DDs quickly between B and C.

Let me present you with a couple facts:

1. Current MM - according to official announcements - makes it so that the number of DDs (and other things) is equal between teams.

2. The #1 rule is lifted when people end up waiting for 3+ minutes - they get thrown into "old" MM when MM is struggling.

3. Most people say that the system is working (as in, they don't really see disparities in numbers of DDs - and if they do, then certainly not on regular basis).

4. You witness these disparities

5. You play at times of much lower server population than most people

You can claim that MM is not struggling at 8 AM with 3k players online - but you yourself provided evidence to the contrary. What you witness is exactly what should be happening when MM struggles - and it is, generally speaking, not happening when the population is high. The connection seems obvious... Or do you have some alternate hypothesis for why the system works for others but not for you? My explanation, that the difference boils down to

1 hour ago, Benaulim said:

almost exclusively playing before noon

checks out with the available information on how the system is supposed to work, but if you have some other ideas - by all means, divulge them.

[KOKOS]
Beta Tester
226 posts

I'll make it as simple as possible: I am playing tiers 5-9 (rarely 10), all nations, all classes except carriers (!) and I don't recall to ever have waited for 3+ minutes. Not even 2+. Been there, done it. You apparently haven't which makes it sound like simple theorycrafting. Eloquent (and arrogant), yet without having eyewitnessed it. Ask around. If you don't play at that time of the day I am sure you know somebody who does.

We aren't talking about 4:00, we are talking about 8:00. Are there odd matchmakings? Undoubtedly and from my experience almost always related to the few high tier carriers around. Else the only difference to peak hours is that there are way less (clan) divisions. Which then again should make the balancing even easier. In theory ... *winks*.

Anyway, it's not that I really care. A destroyer more or less rarely makes a, better ... the difference. After all it boils down to the quality of players, ships/captains and - of course - a little luck. I would guess that we can at least agree on that ...

[TOXIC]
Players
4,645 posts
11,699 battles
17 minutes ago, Benaulim said:

We aren't talking about 4:00, we are talking about 8:00. Are there odd matchmakings? Undoubtedly and from my experience almost always related to the few high tier carriers around. Else the only difference to peak hours is that there are way less (clan) divisions. Which then again should make the balancing even easier. In theory ... *winks*.

And yet people playing at peak hours seem to confirm that the new system does work. I, for one, have yet to see non-mirrored DD arrangement since the new MM went online. Surely just a pure coincidence, right? *winks*

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles
On 5/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, SirBlemmingtonSmythe said:

I like the idea that they have sorted out unequal sides in terms of the actual make up of the MM, but I'm still a bit concerned about ship attributes (radar) being a tad one sided at times :Smile_honoring:

It could very well be my "luck" but since weeks/ even months I'm encountering pretty balanced radar ship matches. Some rare exceptions perhaps. But even then for me that seems quite balanced. from the feeling 50-50-ish on both receiving or delivering side.

• Cool 1

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
762 posts
12,367 battles

Don't know if it is just me, but don't seem to get the t8-t10 matches as much now when playing t8 or t9.

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts

My reaction to the revised MM is it seems OK, I've seen only 1 game with uneven DD's or other types and that was at silly times.

[LUXX]
[LUXX]
Players
79 posts
11,414 battles

My W/L is falling into a black hole since the new MM.

Most of my teammates are sitting like in a ranked match far away from the war.

I think that all mixed fu**** up everything.

You try to win, do everything but there's no support. I would like to have a MM balanced on the skill level. Atm i think it's just ship balanced. And this sucks.