You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mastadans

Question about cruisers

17 comments in this topic

[AFLET]
Players
87 posts
8,060 battles

Hey, thanks for your time.

What is, in your opinion, the best cruiser line to backup team's destroyers? Maybe one quite hardened, with low fire arch and radar?

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
3 minutes ago, Mastadans said:

What is in your opinion, the best cruiser line to backup team's destroyers? Maybe one quite hardened, with low fire arch and radar?

The USA ships have fairly loopy firing arcs, can be tough if you know how to use their armour.

The Russians have flatter firing arcs, but iffy armour until the Moskva and that's still a citadel magnet unless angled right.

RN Cruisers have floaty arcs at range and it takes some skill to give up smoke in very lightly armoured ships to use radar.

The only relatively tough cruiser line is the Germans (French are kiters and pretty lousy close in) and they don't have radar so in truth I don't think there's one that fits your requirements.

• Cool 1

Players
4,014 posts
2 hours ago, Mastadans said:

What is, in your opinion, the best cruiser line to backup team's destroyers? Maybe one quite hardened, with low fire arch and radar?

Depends how people play them.

For me, I would say RN CLs (good concealment, smoke, hydro, rate of fire). Lets not even mention Belfast shall we :)

That is one of the reasons I was strongly against "firing from smoke nerf" (as it is now), because WG limited my play style as a direct DD support.

8km visibility (20 second penalty) in Neptune after you get detected firing from smoke, makes it a free pinata for enemy BBs.

So in the end best DD support is probably another DD (a gunboat).

But people play that wrong. I see lets say Shima, sitting in smoke while Khaba dances aroud getting all the heat.

It should be Khaba that sits in Shimas smoke wrecking havoc while Shima spots for him.

Bug generally best DD support is its entire team.

Thats how caps are won. Not 1 vs 1 figts ... the DD with direct team support (shooting contesting DD, using radar, CV with planes spotting  !! ...) will win.

• Cool 2

Players
513 posts
5,039 battles

I agree with all of the above.

You are describing the perfect cruiser, and in this game each line is supposed to have strengths and weaknesses.

To support DDs it means you should be able to reliably hit the DDs they spot, deal reliable damage to them and at the same time be able to either shoot at them unspotted or be able to dodge incoming shells. Each line is able to do that, but in different ways.

US can radar from T8 onwards but has no smoke means that you have to make love to islands. To enable you to still shoot targets WG gifts you with shells that travel to the moon and back. You can do consistent AP damage to other cruisers, but you are not the type of cruiser that can easily kill spotted DDs in 1 or 2 salvos.

Russians get radar from T8 onwards, and it's the longest reaching radar at 12Km, but they also get spotted from the moon and are made of citadels up to T8. Shell arcs reflect the increased radar distance from the US counterparts, so shell arcs are more direct and you need to be at some distance to the targets to shoot from behind island cover. You are however able to reliably melt DDs with you HE, and you are known for having a strong vodka mixture inside the HE shells.

French are in many ways similar to Russian, but their flavour is speed. Shells have a bit more arc than the Russian, but the HE is just as effective. AP is often good too. They have no radar though, and no smoke either. Up to T5 they have weird spaced armor that means that citadels are hard to be found, but from T6 onwards the citadels appear again, and are often found by enemy BBs and cruisers.

Germans are supposed to be the jack of all trades, but master of none. In higher tiers they get a special hydro that reaches longer than others, but it's still just around 5Km. Better armor is their thing, but it only appears at T8 an above. Below that you are the favourite BB target. German T5 and T6 cruisrrs being devastated in a single strike is a known meme and common occurrence. From T8 onwards you are almost always the last cruiser standing, but HE is not the most reliable.

Finally, the English are the odd balls. You have no HE, but your AP has a very short fuse. You get a heal even at low tiers, but your armor is made of paper. From T8 onwards you can choose between smoke or radar, and you have the best gun reload. Shooting from behind cover is not practical, so you either beg DDs to smoke you so you can radar, or you get up close, smoke, and rain British pellets. You don't start fires, so the key is quantity and where you hit.

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,869 posts
11,525 battles
4 hours ago, Mastadans said:

People will probably think im trolling right now but i would actually say Hinden. "SAY WHAAAAAT"!?!?! :cap_cool:

Sure, the obvious choices would be Moskva with long radar range, Des Moines with long duration radar and auto loading guns or Minotaur with smoke, hydro and fast shooting AP, and i agree to a certain point to all of these. But the thing is all of these are situational and rely on smoke, islands and more and can easely get overrun och focused fired to death. On the other hand, if you have a capable Hinden captain he can just troll enemy fleet at mid range with good survivalbility and maneuverebility and consistently support friendly DDs with accurate and devestatings AP/HE fires at enemy DDs while dodging incoming fire from enemy team , just sailing in open water. No need for radar, hydro, smokes or islands. Of course this means that the DD need to scout the enemy DD for him.

So as i said, The first ones are the obvious choices, but i feel that those radar close to the caps CAs are usually the first ones dead, Meanwhile Hinden is usually still alive at the end and usually carrying the team in different ways during the whole match.

• Cool 1

Players
4,014 posts
24 minutes ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

People will probably think im trolling right now but i would actually say Hinden. "SAY WHAAAAAT"!?!?! :cap_cool:

Sure, the obvious choices would be Moskva with long radar range, Des Moines with long duration radar and auto loading guns or Minotaur with smoke, hydro and fast shooting AP, and i agree to a certain point to all of these. But the thing is all of these are situational and rely on smoke, islands and more and can easely get overrun och focused fired to death. On the other hand, if you have a capable Hinden captain he can just troll enemy fleet at mid range with good survivalbility and maneuverebility and consistently support friendly DDs with accurate and devestatings AP/HE fires at enemy DDs while dodging incoming fire from enemy team , just sailing in open water. No need for radar, hydro, smokes or islands. Of course this means that the DD need to scout the enemy DD for him.

So as i said, The first ones are the obvious choices, but i feel that those radar close to the caps CAs are usually the first ones dead, Meanwhile Hinden is usually still alive at the end and usually carrying the team in different ways during the whole match.

He asked about the "line" in general, not only for T10 ship :)

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

I though Jerries were brawlers from t8+. Dat AP, hydro, torps and low cit are perfect for smoking out DDs and overpen-trolling BBs in close combat.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

You won't get a good frontline support cruiser line with radar AND good ballistics. The VMF cruiser could technically qualify, but their mostly below average concealment and squishy nature for most tiers doesn't lend them to aggressively back up DDs. They can every now and then poke their nose just close enough to pop a radar for a decisive DD kill, but otherwise they'll want to stay at range, at least when faced with stiff opposition as their either can't tank incoming fire, or won't be able to just sneak away easily.

Imho the next best thing you can look at is the IJN cruisers. With good concealment and that juicy, juicy IJN HE you can get close behind your DDs so yours will likely spot their DD at about the same time they would spot your cruiser, giving you at least one good shot before you might be forced to turn out, but one good IJN HE volley will HEAVILY tip the favours for your DD in a duel. Plus you always have your torps that you might throw out to blanket a smokescreen to catch a hiding DD.

That's it for aggressively supporting DDs and fighting the enemies'.

What the US cruisers are really good at though is threatening enemy DDs with their long duration radar, even if they aren't as good as actively engaging them (when they have their own support, naturally) so most US cruisers will try to strategically position themselves in a secure position nearby caps to provide radar and lob shells over island cover at more distant targets to chip away, but that helps your frontline DDs too since any DD player that knows his trade is going to be reluctant pushing anywhere near into radar range so as long as that US cruiser sits nearby, even if it can't actively support the DD, it works great as a detterrent.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,787 posts
17,291 battles

Concealment? Radar? Armour? Good guns?

I think the word you're looking for is Missouri

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,846 battles
30 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Concealment? Radar? Armour? Good guns?

I think the word you're looking for is Missouri

So true.

So sad...

[PAPAT]
Players
349 posts
15,555 battles
6 hours ago, Mastadans said:

Almost any cruiser can be the best. It depends on the package : Which map, presence of CVs, MM ect. But with the attributes you mention, there really is only two lines and one wild card : US, RU and RN.

All the above recieve the radar only from T8 onwards, so I'm assuming we are talking only T8 and above.

Hardened :

KM cruisers but no radar. The KM cruiser hydros ship aquisition in those tiers is very good (T8 5.58km, T9 5.73km & T10 5.88km) but the ships are kinda slow so utilizing that will be hard most of the times. You have the Prinz Eugen. Try to do what you just / I explained and see if it fits your demands. The hydro is very long duration so you'll be "protected" from torps in the same time. Hydro duration can be buffed via Hydroacoustic search module in to extreme levels.

KM cruisers are the only ones I would consider to be hardened almost in every situation.

Low fire arcs :

RU, IJN and KM. Again, KM and IJN no radar. RUs on the other hand have radar and a long distance that is but short duration. Chapayev and Donkey are very good in melting DDs even from longer range but you can forget about the hardened part. Donkey has some potential "tankiness" in some situations but longer range AP's will demolish it very easily and the manouvering will not be easy in Chap.

Radar :

US, RU and RN. US and RN radar has the longest duration and can be upgraded to lulz levels with the radar module. (T8 :  30s & 9km, T9 35s & 9.45km, T10 40s & 9.9km. With module +40% duration. (only for T9 & T10)). That is usually more than enough time to destroy the DD, if there is enough shooters.

RU radar on the other hand has incredible range but short duration. (T8 20s & 11.7km, T9 20s & 11.7km, T10 25s & 11.7km. With module +40% duration. (only for T9 & T10))

Summary :

You have the Prinz Eugen and Cleveland. Try out the Prinz's hydro thingie, if it suits you. But, it will require a lot of work to be effective : In those tiers most of the DD players will know what you are up to and can kite you pretty easily. Cleveland is the AA platform of its tier, but it can also be used to hunt DDs. The hull will be more or less the same(ish) through the line. US cruisers excel in island hugging because of their mortar like arcs. Therefore they are better in radar spotting to others, but ofc can be hunters but not the best ones, just like the RN ones. In RN cruisers you have to choose between smokes and radar. RU ones have very good guns and fast speed.

It may sound dull, but you just have to try them by yourself. No one can know your preferred style of play or where you are the strongest. If you have a DD friend with you, maybe the US / RN ones are best for you (since a friendly DD can smoke you up). They have also very good AA ratings.

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles
5 hours ago, Mastadans said:

All three, not possible. Hunting DDs is more about being able to get into position and back out alive though. US would probably be my top choice for aggressive DD support. IJN second. Radar is handy but alpha damage is not to be underestimated.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,749 posts
10,206 battles

If you want to go against DDs, pick Ruski!

Wanna be much better all arounder, pick germans! you will live longer.

Wanna be a stealthy hard hitter.. pick the Japanese..

Wanna be a jackass.. pick British!

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,749 posts
10,206 battles
1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

tenor.gif

Tell me that I am wrong!

:P

Don't you hate that neptune or mino when they found you from their smoke.. you angle your armor.. it rains.. doing basically nothing.. but it rains..

and chips away your health..

Somebody talked about "Death by a thousand cuts"

Players
4,014 posts
37 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Tell me that I am wrong!

:P

Don't you hate that neptune or mino when they found you from their smoke.. you angle your armor.. it rains.. doing basically nothing.. but it rains..

and chips away your health..

Somebody talked about "Death by a thousand cuts"

All that comes with very high risk.

You get spotted only for couple of seconds and if any enemy BB has their shots ready you turn into submarine extremely fast.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,749 posts
10,206 battles
10 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

All that comes with very high risk.

You get spotted only for couple of seconds and if any enemy BB has their shots ready you turn into submarine extremely fast.

Oh I love spotted UK cruisers..

It is so much fun to citadel them with HE  salvos!

I don't know that If I am the only one thinks that way but IMO, WG created British lines to make people get more and more angry!

I am really afraid about the upcoming British DD line.. and its UNIQUE "GIMMICKS"