Rimis8

Progressing to higher tiers

12 comments in this topic

Question

Players
2 posts
239 battles

Hello,

So I am not really new to world of warships I played the game for more than few years but during that time I did not play much. Right now my best ship is New Mexico and It seems like unlocking the next ship takes forever. Do you have any tips how to unlock ships faster? Should I buy a premium?

11 answers to this question

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Unlocking the next tier faster isn't always a good thing, especially if you aren't particularly experienced - at higher tier there's a higher chance of meeting better players, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to get stomped.

Advancing slower, but learning along the way tends to be the good way to do it.

Premium account is one way, using signals and camos that give extra XP is another

Took a glance at your profile and noticed - despite you having the NewMex you have never played a game in the NewYork. NEVER skip a ship with Free XP - if you want to spend it, use it only to unlock your modules so you can avoid playing the ship completely stock. Grind out each next one properly, that tends to be very important for learning how to play and why stuff happens like it does.

Also grinds will not get shorter (and for a good reason), going from 9 to 10 alone takes a few hundred k XP :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 4

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,668 battles

Premium-Account does make progress 50% faster, yes.

Also make sure that you play Random Battles and not Coop as you receive far less XP in Coop.

Use flags and camos that give additional XP. If you don't have many of them, use them only for the first win of the day so that many multipliers stack together.

Players
2,181 posts
20,279 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, Rimis8 sagte:

Do you have any tips how to unlock ships faster? Should I buy a premium?

I'm not sure it'll help.

I have many premium ships and almost none of them fulfilled my expectations.

I'll elaborate on that in the second half but here's the tl, dr:

You should first of all pay attention to the News and especially to current daily challenges, combat missions etc.

For example, at the moment there is a challenge "We can haz all you base" or something, where all you need to do is get two capture or defended flags and win to earn a rather powerful premium camo. You can do that five times per day, and you can even do it in Co-Op battles! So what you do is farm the five camos in eight to ten quick tier-5 Co-Op battles where all you need to do is wait in front of the nearest cap circle until the first bot steams up to you, and hit it with two shells, and you're almost done, and it will give you 100% extra XP in one match. Then these items will help you speed up your grind.

There are other current challenges that give you 5x the extra commander XP flag and I'll leave you to figure out the most effective tactics to farm those.

Next, you should look for really good deals if you want to use the premium shop, like the Steam DLC packages the other day (use search function.) Or a really much better deal on a year of Premium account that the current, what is it, 85 Euros?

You should wait for the regularly occurring discount phases before spending (too many) doubloons on things like port slots and commander skill point redistribution.

And you should enjoy the smaller ships and lower tiers. Maybe try new nationalities and ship types if you haven't already. There is so much variety in this game!

Also maybe try to get your friends to play in divisions with. Or make some new ones that do.

Re: Premium ships.

One of the only ones I'd recommend completely wholeheartedly - as such -  is HMS Nelson. But she would be of little help to you. For one thing, other people have told me they find her play style too unusual. So she seems not to be universally liked. And for another thing, she is from a different nation, so you can't use her to train your American commanders. All she would do is give you lots of credits and somewhat more Free XP. But she would cost you a whopping 350,000 Free XP in the first place. Sounds like you don't have that much laying around, so you'd need to trade doubloons for it, so it might cost you anywhere up to like 50, 60 Euros (less when there is a conversion discount on.)

Now with that amount of XP and doubloons, you could perhaps also level up one of your commanders to 19-p instead. He would then in turn henceforth give you Elite Commander XP for each match, so you could boost your other commanders more quickly. (Although the combo of such a commander on a good Premium ship speeds things up still further of course.)

I have USS Texas and she is nice. Definitely nicer than USS New York, which is basically the same ship with worse AA and no Stars 'n Stripes Premium perma camo available. I love that camo's provocativeness. But Texas is also slow and just a Tier V. Often uptiered against faster ships. She has not been a great earner nor a great trainer for me. Possibly it's my own fault rather than hers but you just can't get to the targets that quickly and not disengage that quickly from sticky situations once you're there, either. And she is not as tanky as König.

There is the USS Arizona, which I personally don't have and which is currently sold in a discounted package.

But it mostly seems just a worse New Mexico.

Note that since that Flamu guy made that video, the Bayern and the Normandie and Dunkerque as well as HMS Queen Elizabeth have come out and ther ehave been buffs and nerfs and he has probably revised his ranking a little.

And there's of course USS Alabama, which I seem to dimly recall from similar videos is also not exactly brilliant, compared to the free North Carolina she's based on.

The one ship that gives me incredible thrills every time is USS Atlanta. Hardly a game that doesn't get my pulse racing at some stage. But I play her very poorly. Don't do her justice, although I have been improving. She is a difficult ship to play well, and there are many situations where she can only suck. Not too versatile. Short range. You need at least a 14-pt captain on her. AFT and Concealment Expert make her a different ship. But she is on sale at the moment. But watch Flamu's video on her as well.

And to open yet another can of worms, higher tiers do not necessarily bring more gaming enjoyment. For one thing, you tend to have more skilled opponents, especially since you don't get by far as much practice as many of them. And in addition, on the top two tiers, gameplay is also often very static and prowling over extended stretches. Which I frankly find boring.

With the improved matchmaking, Tiers 5 and 6 have become a lot more fun again. Instead, Tier 7 is frequently uptiered 2x which is not so nice in many ships. Tier VIII can have its moments, especially in ranked. Frankly though, the main reason I play so much Tier V is because that is the threshold for the challenges, daily missions etc that give you extra camos an signals etc. Otherwise I'd play a lot more Tier 3 and 4 which can be so much fun.

Players
2 posts
239 battles
15 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Unlocking the next tier faster isn't always a good thing, especially if you aren't particularly experienced - at higher tier there's a higher chance of meeting better players, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to get stomped.

Advancing slower, but learning along the way tends to be the good way to do it.

Premium account is one way, using signals and camos that give extra XP is another

Took a glance at your profile and noticed - despite you having the NewMex you have never played a game in the NewYork. NEVER skip a ship with Free XP - if you want to spend it, use it only to unlock your modules so you can avoid playing the ship completely stock. Grind out each next one properly, that tends to be very important for learning how to play and why stuff happens like it does.

Also grinds will not get shorter (and for a good reason), going from 9 to 10 alone takes a few hundred k XP :Smile_teethhappy:

About new york thing. One day I logged in and for some reason I had lots of XP so I just researched New Mexico.

Players
2,181 posts
20,279 battles
Am 13.5.2018 um 22:29, Rimis8 sagte:

Do you have any tips how to unlock ships faster? Should I buy a premium?

A premium account will definitely speed things up massively.

That said, I recommend waiting until there is an attractively priced discount. I can't say when that will be, worst case shortly before Christmas. Should be sooner though. Generally speaking, always better to wait for discounts, no matter what you want to blow your cash on - port slots, ships, doubloons, Free XP conversion, Commander skill re-distribution...

The next thing to consider is if progressing to higher tiers is actually all that desirable, although the only way to find out if you'd actually enjoy the typical kind of gameplay going on there would be to get there... at T9/10 at the latest, it's a lot of super cagey sneaking around, waiting, positioning, and getting immediately blapped by much more skilled players at the slightest mistake. IOW (being a low skill noob) I think it completely sucks balls. Much better (=more enjoyable) to grind lower tier ships of different national lines and/or types.

The quickest way to find out for yourself if you like it there would be to acquire a premium ship. The highest-tier ones that you can currently just straight-up buy in the premium shop are only Tier VIII though; I don't own any of those, have just watched a few review videos, and from my own experience with a good dozen of other premium ships, I'm struggling to recommend that route. Seeing as you seem to be invested in the USA BB line, the logical choice would be Alabama since it would also serve to speed up training of your US BB captains. On their own merits, to my mind, the most appealing choices would be Lo Yang, Atago and Tirpitz, in that order.

OR you could buy a load of doubloons to convert all the frozen Elite XP from your silver ships to Free XP and use that to unlock a high tier ship. From New Mexico, outside of a discount phase, I'm estimating a Tier IX would run you maybe about 30 Euros and a Tier X about 50. However, skipping tiers will of course widen the skill gap between you and most other players there even further. Also you could blow the Free XP on a fair bit of Commander skills instead. Or unlock Nelson, which is a super profitable and obscenely potato-friendly ship with its monster heal and monster guns. Get Dunkirk commander on that thing and you're really set.

Power camouflages, signal flags and other goodies can be a big help. The easiest way to obtain some of these (outside of straight up buying them in the premium shop) are the different daily missions, challenges, etc, as well as campaigns, in your case mostly the Science of Victory campaign since the others require at least tier VIII ships. All achievements are also rewarded with a specific signal flag, which you can look up by hovering the mouse over the flags in the game client. And definitely follow the news because some challenges are really super quick and easy to "farm".

Also, definitely try to unlock at least Zuiho, preferably both "dumb" Tier V aircraft carriers with no manual drops, because these can be the quickest and easiest vehicles to farm challenges like the ones where you just need to cause specific amount of damage to a certain ship type or nationality.

Players
205 posts
5,308 battles

Don't rush up the tiers, You will be credit starved in the end.. I rushed up the tiers, i currently have a Kagero, with the xp spent on the Yugamo but i don't have the credits. Find something like like around Tier 5/6/7 .. pimp it up, full mods and upgrades, Maybe even a perma camo and play it for fun!. the extra experience you gain doesn't matter, I have over 400k Xp i can convert to free xp.  

If your a mediocre player like me, 1 great game in 5 you will be running a negative credits gained in T8/9/X ... so trust me when i say that mid tiers are your best bet!. I'm still the same.. I MUST have that damned Shimakazi but unless you are willing to spend a lot of £££ on credits... chill out in the lower tiers and have fun. 

Be careful when buying a Premium Ship, they are not these exceptional ships i was expecting, (this is an example and my own thoughts on the ships) I've bought a few so far, Sims &  Molotov, I bought the Sims for a credit earner and to get my US dd captain up quick, Sure its a good little DD, but if I'm honest the Mahan is a better ship, just because you paid cash for a ship, don't expect it to be better or for an easy win!, the guns/range are good, the torps are weaker and less of them than the Mahan, Speed and AA decent, Concealment only .3 better so not much better. but what I'm trying to say, Dont rush!.. stick around the lower tiers. find something fun, and enjoy it. :) dont be me!.. you'll only end up frustrated in the end, I quit and came back a week later due to my credit frustrations!.. 

If your Awesome like Like these YouTubers, Flamu, Sailingrobin,Flambass, etc and make.. 4-600k credits per battle.. then play how you like lol ignore me im a 1000+ battle noob still :) 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,418 posts
13,312 battles

First, I would echo others' sentiments about not rushing up the tiers - it's generally wiser to go wide, rather than focus on getting high tiers quickly. Play lots of different ships of many different classes; this will help you find the ships/classes that you enjoy most, as well as gaining valuable experience vis-a-vis potential opponents' strengths and weaknesses.

Don't forget as well that you get protected MM up to, and including T4 i.e. you will only face opponents one tier higher than you (at worst); T5 and above get +/-2 MM, so your T5s will be sometimes up against T7s, and so on.

Apropos premiums: I feel that one (or more) premiums are very useful to have, because they generate a lot more silver than regular ships, and allow you to train captains from your regular ships too. They don't generate any more free xp (as far as I know) than equivalent silver ships though, so they won't help you advance any faster (apart from allowing you to afford more stuff sooner), unless you spend real money, via doubloons, to convert the xp on your premiums to free xp. It's a good idea to only buy premiums that are at roughly the same level as you've already played in silver ships, so don't buy Tirpitz (say) if you're still messing about at T2 in silver ships (if you go and do it anyway, I'd strongly suggest playing unsuitably high tier premiums in coop mode only).

One of the nice things about WOWS is that there are plenty of fun ships to be played at almost every tier, and quite a few of the historically significant ships are mid tier, making it actually fun to linger at lower levels for a while.

If you are finding a particular silver ship hard work, and want to get to the next one as soon as possible, you probably want a premium account, and to make use of xp bonus camo and flags - this will make the grind go faster. That said, not sucking is even better, as you'll make more silver and xp if you stay in the battle for longer, and make a bigger impression (and, when you learn how - let me know!)...

[SKIDZ]
Beta Tester
176 posts
10,631 battles

I've never understood the mad rush to unlock higher tier vehicles.  Ok, in a tier 10 you are always going to be top tier in a battle, whereas that is not always the case in other tiers, but there is no massive difference in game play, so why the rush?  For anyone not running a premium account, playing higher tier ships can be a distinct disadvantage, due to the cost of repairs and ammo replacement, which can often lead to a loss of credits.

[SAVVY]
Players
252 posts
3,868 battles
12 hours ago, Scarebird said:

I've never understood the mad rush to unlock higher tier vehicles. 

Everyone who starts this game wants to play famous ships like the Yamato, the Bismarck and the Iowa. No one joins thinking "I've always had a passion to play in the Tenryu".

All the famous ships are pretty high tier, hence why many people want to rush madly to the top to sail them.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,418 posts
13,312 battles
15 hours ago, Scarebird said:

I've never understood the mad rush to unlock higher tier vehicles.  

For me, the main pressure was that a number of events require relatively (or actually) high tier ships e.g. Ranked needs T8, as a minimum.

Also, the current Navy event progresses faster if you're playing at higher tiers.

One of the more useful lessons a newer player can learn is that there will be other cool events along presently, and it isn't a disaster to miss out on the odd one when you're first starting out.

• Cool 1

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,520 battles

Keep an eye out on daily challenges. They will give you  some cool extras like camos, consumables and sometimes even premium for a day! And since shortly coal which you can spend in the Arsenal.

Don't feel bad when you're missing out on challenges tho. 

If you want to grind a certain line stick with it. Like really always play it and only play other ships when the one your grinding is in battle. 

PS: The most important thing; have fun. Tier 10 is not the end goal.