Sign in to follow this  
Ricox

Where to even start?

8 comments in this topic

Players
1 post

Hi. I'm new to this game and have played World of Tanks & War Thunder before. Just started playing the game and I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the ship options. Is there a guide that points to best classes and best ship lines for specific types of play style? I haven't found mine yet, but even if I do - it's quite hard to know what ships it translates to (specifically nation lines, not just the class). I'm leaning towards battleships for the firepower, but I'm also looking to know which battleship line is suited for what type of players. Does anything of the sort exist?

Thanks in advance.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Pretty much just have to look through stuff like YouTube and Twitch for those.

Just search for some lines / specific ships in those lines, there surely will be some good stuff somewhere.

Also you can ask questions here in Forums - usually you don't have to wait too long for answers

With BBs - some are more tanky, others less so, almost all of them are slow in comparison to other ships, they turn like bricks and the average accuracy is so nice that you couldn't hit a barn from the inside. But whenever you finally do score that hit... well, most of the time it's a rather disappointing overpenetration. And then, every now and then a cruiser will just go boom and disappear from full health to nothing making all the frustration worth it.

Best BB lines for newbies? Those would be German and Japanese. Germans have much more fool-proof armour and often run a rather fun close range secondary build ("close range" lol) which lets you glance over the rather terrible accuracy of their main guns, while Japanese tend to be a bit faster than average (not always) and noticeably more accurate while sacrificing some armour and almost all AA protection. At least up to tier 8, as 9 and 10 are quite different from the rest of the line.

I'm sure there soon will be someone commenting about the "idiot-proof Royal Navy BBs" - slightly wrong. RN BBs can easily teach you some very bad habits which would then screw you over in the long run, better if you already have some other BB line played before them so you have a better idea of what to do where

But I'd recommend you to play at least a few lines / ship classes to tier 4 or 5 before you make your final decision - who knows, maybe you actually like DDs or CAs (or even CVs) better, as each class brings something different to the game.

*Point to note is that RN CLs and all CVs in general have quite a bit higher skill floor than other ships, so they might not be the best ships to start with. Too easy to punish your mistakes

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
995 posts
15,746 battles

As mentione, try all of them first up to tier 5.

Germans have good armor that forgive some mistakes, IJN would teach you angling properly, because they are the only bb with above waterline citadel, so showing broadside is painfull.

US are pretty slow up to tier 8, but are pretty agile and have good AA, RN would not be the best choice for the beginner, they are simple as mentioned but true they would lean you towards boring game play not suited for any other BB if you would like to switch lines. French are meh, lots of guns with 0 accuracy, key point is to be able to switch flanks fast with the speed boost but aint all that special.

Sugestion, start with IJN, go up to tier 5, play around 20 battles (in an upgraded ship) then switch to US, you would feel the difference, then just try to find yours by doing so in other nations and find your playstile.

Tho the game style may change with tier 8+, the basic given by the lower tiers would be crucial in the way you choose to make your moves, so dont make a mistake by rushing it to get there.

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

Here's a great source of information. If I was new and trying to decide on a ship line, I would try out different kinds of ships, see what I enjoy doing (e.g. stealth torping, tanking damage,  shooting over islands, brawling) and then look at the appropriate stats for each ship to find a good fit.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

• Cool 1

Players
2,187 posts
20,353 battles

There is plenty of material, mainly on youtube, from Wargaming's own Captain's Academy (you may have noticed the in-game videos) to some rather esoteric topics and tutorials.

However, In this very early stage, I'd recommend just diving right into the game without much consideration for any later stages because on the first three, four tiers, it doesn't really matter. Ships are leveled super quickly and you can learn the basics of movement, aiming, positioning and angling in any given line. Focus on such (sometimes not so basic) skills rather than ships. Take in some of the usual youtube suspects on skills like aiming. Get a headset and try divisioning. There's enough time for most everything else in two, three weeks. For now, you should just try as many ships and other features on the first three tiers as you like, and use the initial phase with the extremely protective matchmaking to just start getting your bearings.

(What I mean by that is, I don't know if you have noticed but you get lots of bots even on your own team even in random battles (names between :colons: are bots). Playing against actual humans can be more difficult; at any rate it will pose some different challenges, which you will soon find out.)

They do try to give the different nations different flavours but they have many many crass exceptions to all these rules. Breaks in the lines. The German destroyers no longer have front torpedoes as of Tier 5. The Japanese get a heavy cruiser at Tier 5 already, which plays completely differently than the T3 and T4 ships. The "Pan Asia" T6 premium destroyer Anshan is an old Russian ship bought second-hand by communist China with upgraded torps - the T8 Loyang is a USS Benson gifted to the Taiwanese by the USA. There is more. Best postpone any such ponderings.

What you maybe should do is look up recommended captain skills in the Wiki and the odd Flamu video. The later usually work reasonably well for me despite the obvious lack of genius on my part, but more to the point, Captain re-training costs actual real-world money most of the time, and although it's just a small amount each time, costs like these can quickly add up. So best find a way to postpone it to one of the few days of the year where it's free. Postpone buying new port slots until there is a discount - then stock up on them. And so on.

And DO make note of the fine print, because you can win the odd few free gold doubloons in the game and it is SUPER annoying to lose them because of Wargaming's pettiness.

Last night, for some reason I looked up some player stats and there was this lady who had literally hundreds of Tier I games under her belt. This is a stage that I wager most players soon get bored with, not the least because of the lack of gimmicks. Also the wait time can be endless once you're out of the bot stage. So I started wondering what might make somebody do such a thing. And it has to be said: I've played over 4,000 random battles. Had some decent games in the early Ranked stages and occasional other good results, and in fact fancy myself a fairly decent shot. By now. Through reflection and mostly practice. But even now, coming in among the top three in a random T1 battle is not a thing I could take for granted.

She probably could.

And she got there by practice, not by skipping tiers and Free-XP-ing whole ships.

Which brings me to another point:

Manage your expectations regarding premium ships, because Wargaming sure will not do that for you.

I've bought a good dozen of them, and I like many of them, but I think of myself as a bit of a collector by now, and more to the point, hardly any of them actually fulfilled my expectations. Even though I thought I had put in the research. Yubari I can recommend with few qualifications, and HMS Nelson has surpassed my wildest dreams. It is a crassly overpowered obscenity. Which I like. When I'm in it. But I digress. The point is: usually it's best not to buy them, at any rate not before you have ground out the corresponding silver ship. Rule of thumb.

Also, Golden Rule of WoWs:

Don't bring a destroyer to Operations.

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
84 battles
On 13.5.2018 at 11:57 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

Pretty much just have to look through stuff like YouTube and Twitch for those.

Just search for some lines / specific ships in those lines, there surely will be some good stuff somewhere.

Also you can ask questions here in Forums - usually you don't have to wait too long for answers

With BBs - some are more tanky, others less so, almost all of them are slow in comparison to other ships, they turn like bricks and the average accuracy is so nice that you couldn't hit a barn from the inside. But whenever you finally do score that hit... well, most of the time it's a rather disappointing overpenetration. And then, every now and then a cruiser will just go boom and disappear from full health to nothing making all the frustration worth it.

Best BB lines for newbies? Those would be German and Japanese. Germans have much more fool-proof armour and often run a rather fun close range secondary build ("close range" lol) which lets you glance over the rather terrible accuracy of their main guns, while Japanese tend to be a bit faster than average (not always) and noticeably more accurate while sacrificing some armour and almost all AA protection. At least up to tier 8, as 9 and 10 are quite different from the rest of the line.

I'm sure there soon will be someone commenting about the "idiot-proof Royal Navy BBs" - slightly wrong. RN BBs can easily teach you some very bad habits which would then screw you over in the long run, better if you already have some other BB line played before them so you have a better idea of what to do where

But I'd recommend you to play at least a few lines / ship classes to tier 4 or 5 before you make your final decision - who knows, maybe you actually like DDs or CAs (or even CVs) better, as each class brings something different to the game.

*Point to note is that RN CLs and all CVs in general have quite a bit higher skill floor than other ships, so they might not be the best ships to start with. Too easy to punish your mistakes

Nice, advise I needed too. 

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
134 posts
8,688 battles

Already good advises from above but just one thing to add related to youtube/twich reviews - take them with pinch of salt because most of them are done with 19 pts captain so your experience may be different.

Guess it is safe to assume that you don`t have one so, plan carefully how and when to use cpt skill points.

My advice would be build to 10 pts with ONE skill from all rows (1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 1x4) and than plan next stage or ask for advice.

Well trained captain can change ship play big time.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,439 posts
13,399 battles

I'd suggest reading as much of the wiki as possible (http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships if you missed the link above); as well as lots of stuff about mechanics etc. it also contains the essential details about every ship in the game, including some suggested captain's builds (as well as which upgrades to put on each ship); although opinions vary on a lot of this stuff, it's a useful starting point...

Sign in to follow this