You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mastadans

USA vs IJN CVs

5 comments in this topic

Players
72 posts
8,038 battles

In my opinion USA's CV are under-powered vs IJN ones. 

I've got right now the Ranger (t7), with only one squadron of fighters at one time. I've got all perks and modules to improve fighting capabilities/hp buffs. 

When fighting vs a IJN t7 this happens often:

I engage or my squadron is engaged against a Zero's nº1 squadron. The other enemy squadron awaits, and then it performs a barrage against the fight, performing in the same time another barrage with the nº1 squadron getting it out from the fight. That's all. Repeat as many times needed, the USA fighters are no more.

Imo IJN's fighters should not be allowed to perform barrages as the game's mechanics do not allow to disengage a dogfighting unless a barrage is done which means a loss of fighters, which, being USA's, you can't afford usually.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
891 posts
8,482 battles
48 minutes ago, Mastadans said:

I've got right now the Ranger (t7), with only one squadron of fighters at one time.

Poor soul, you must be playing the worst ship that exists in game.

Some CV veterans will give you more info but, yes, I think too that IJN carriers (tech tree, not premiums) have more of an impact in game than US ones.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

That's pretty much why you shouldn't take click fights, at least not while there is no allied AA present. Instead play safer and use your own strafes - US fighters have far more ammunition than IJN ones.

Also when he is strafing out with the squad that was locked with yours - give your squad a move command (removes the stun) and then instantly strafe over that same squad for a free wipe. Requires paying attention, of course, but yeah - I'm sure you can see the benefit of that one

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,500 posts
13,669 battles

Your squads are way bigger though, so it's actually that US CVs can afford to strafe way more often than IJN CVs.

And that's exactly what you have to do. With your big squad, your strafe is more devastating and you have more ammo as well. 2 well placed strafes and the IJN squads are down.

Of course, you need some practice.

Players
1,420 posts
8,359 battles

I really miss the old AS Ranger and Lexington. AS ranger could deal quite well with AS Saipan. Altought it's true that it could do few damage to surface ships.

It would be really cool to have a 2-0-2 Ranger... But with AP bombs.

• Cool 1