Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
SeaWolf7

Defence of Naval Station Newport

40 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,222 battles

Greeting guys,

Id like to apologise if this has been addressed previously but........

 

ccJYemF.gif:Smile_teethhappy:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 days strait and I honestly feel like Wg you had no intention of that being mission being achieved....

 

Has anyone achieved 5 stars? and if so how did you do it?

cheers.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,234 battles

Yes?

Going for the kills and knowing the objectives and how to achieve them.

 

Best bet is to platoon for it with some players you know can perform, or roll the dice and stop complaining...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,222 battles
7 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Yes?

Going for the kills and knowing the objectives and how to achieve them.

 

Best bet is to platoon for it with some players you know can perform, or roll the dice and stop complaining...

wow really insightful thanks for that pearl of wisdom....:Smile_amazed:

....I wasn't complaining just asking for some advise But I see your fresh out...

 

Anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
2,989 posts
11,460 battles

- Get a division of 4 capable people (lower limit set by the game).

- Get a division of 4-7 capable people.

- Get lucky by quantum fluctuations suddenly creating a Boltzmann-Brain(or 2-4)  to play with you in your team and thus getting a 5 star victory that way with random plebs.

 

The alternative of improving humanity via lion pits and weeding out the herd is not supported by law.

 

 

There is nothing more to say. A few people actually capable of pressing "W" and aiming their guns instead of their drool is enough for 5 stars in all of them. I am always surprised how easy it is; until I again met the solid masonry wall of complete fucktardery and there is simply no chance in hell to do this. Especially since there are several mechanics at work to ensure survival of potatoes and to make it harder for anybody actually trying.

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
618 posts
9,990 battles
27 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Going for the kills and knowing the objectives and how to achieve them.

That is exactly right.

Salvos not doing significant damage are not worth firing, and you don't have time to wait.

When you get 4 players or more that get all that, you get 5 stars.

If you cannot understand how to position your ship to maximize your damage, wait for 4 other people that do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
5,760 posts
14,436 battles
1 hour ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Has anyone achieved 5 stars? and if so how did you do it?

Two times out of three tries (third was 4 stars cause too many died) - 1st Fuso, 2nd Ryujo...how? Dmg!

Spoiler

And luck of course

mqdefault.jpg

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts
1 hour ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Has anyone achieved 5 stars? and if so how did you do it?

 

Graf Spee. I use that ship a lot for operations, it's fortunate that it is tier 6 since there's no other cruiser quite like it.

 

- Good endurance from armour+HP+repair. A lot of destroyers and cruisers can fail to survive operations due to lack of long-term survivability.

- 11" guns blap the low tier cruisers without a billion overpens.

- Just about fast enough to keep up with convoy escort missions, position for next objective, etc.

- Other consumables offer a lot of support — the sonar is the boosted German version, good to cover the people who aren't quite sure where the A and D keys are, and my captain has double planes which works well with most of the AA power of the ship being in the DP guns.

 

If you don't have or can't get Spee I'd advise using the fastest BB you can find just for the endurance needed. Normandie seems good and popular, but Fuso and Queen Elizabeth will also do well. Someone in another thread mentioned decking Queen Elizabeth with manual AA skill for all the 4" mounts to clear the skies. Planes are always a big deal in the operations so it pays to do your bit in the AA department.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
4,444 posts
7,604 battles

3 stars is easy, 5 is challenging unless you luck out with your team.  9/10 times the ships will break through into the base before the main attack starts.

 

AFAICS you need your team and cruisers especially in a position where they can cross-fire into the third wave, the problem is that they get dragged towards the second wave or otherwise sit too far back and take too long to re-position so you get isolated and focused down, which can then turn a 3 point victory into a defeat.

 

There might be some mileage in sitting out the second wave and camping south of the island in H6 so that you're in position to destroy the third wave as they go past whilst having cover from most of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PUPSI]
Players
134 posts
8,656 battles

Twice 5 star wins yesterday, out of 6 or 7 tries.

 

Both was done with really good players and right attitude not to chase personal goals (damage, kills, whatever).

 

IMHO this is scenario which rewards team play maybe more than any other so it is hard to give any advice that you already don`t know.  

 

... but, here is a few guidelines ... primary target is always closest ship to zone - for all;

bot BB`s are target for team BB/s and others help only when nothing else has left;

defense equally spread left/mid/right for 3rd wave and respect your zone - help to other only if requested or when done with your side;

no "heroics" going too far ahead in early stages (first 2 waves, 3rd wave will caught you on open) nor retreating deep inside (useless) ...    

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,222 battles

Thank you to all for replys.

 

Seems I have been getting quite a few of these

50 minutes ago, havaduck said:

 

....until I again met the solid masonry wall of complete fucktardery and there is simply no chance in hell to do this. Especially since there are several mechanics at work to ensure survival of potatoes and to make it harder for anybody actually trying.

Ive been in the Cleveland for AA purposes and have taken out the first 2 waves literally on my own most tries but as you said ....

 

16 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

3 stars is easy, 5 is challenging unless you luck out with your team.  9/10 times the ships will break through into the base before the main attack starts.

 

, the problem is that they get dragged towards the second wave or otherwise sit too far back and take too long to re-position so you get isolated and focused down, which can then turn a 3 point victory into a defeat.

Everyone seems to be hanging to far back, not supressing the advance of the 2nd and 3rd wave and before you know it the main attack has started.

Usually im ok with these missions but this one has made me ask for a bit of advise so thank you....

 

 

Ps: @StringWitch will try the spee M8 good idea as the Cleveland just doesn't have the armour if focused... just cant last out long enough....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
2 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Greeting guys,

Id like to apologise if this has been addressed previously but........

 

ccJYemF.gif:Smile_teethhappy:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 days strait and I honestly feel like Wg you had no intention of that being mission being achieved....

 

Has anyone achieved 5 stars? and if so how did you do it?

cheers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

shot-18.05.10_17.03.07-0808.jpg

shot-18.05.10_17.03.25-0376.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,591 posts
7 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

 

 

What's the pont of this post? Are you saying "play Cleveland" or just pinning your victory up to brag?

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
5 minutes ago, StringWitch said:

 

What's the pont of this post? Are you saying "play Cleveland" or just pinning your victory up to brag?

OP asked if anybody got 5*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
618 posts
9,990 battles
13 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

 

 

Spoiler

shot-18.05.10_17.03.25-0376.jpgshot-18.05.10_17.03.07-0808.jpg

 

Could be better. Needs more citadels and kills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
Players
1,884 posts
3,701 battles
1 minute ago, _ramrus_ said:

Could be better. Needs more citadels and kills.

Never said it was good, I'd consider that an average performance, but really that is all it takes to complete the OP,  my base XP was 1400 ish and I was top scorer .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
8,234 battles
2 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

....I wasn't complaining just asking for some advise But I see your fresh out...

 

 

So you are not complaining-raging...so this down here?

2 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

 

ccJYemF.gif

 

I guess this is how you mix candy?

 

Hum, "git gud" is what you wanted? There are enough guides on youtube if you wanted "help".

 

Im fresh out? Proper english within context please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MUMMY]
Players
370 posts
9,390 battles

It is doable OP.

 

Played defense of Newport Naval Station a number of times, max I have ever got due in part to myself taking out tier 6 BBs (Im not the best in them) and a mixture of potato' on the team.

Had a game today, got lucky and had a capable bunch of randoms with me as no one in my clan wanted to play, to out Dunkek and we had a blast, got the 5 stars.

I have probably played the mission 15 times before all of which were losses or 2 star max.  I looked on Youtube for "Defense of Newport Naval Station 5 stars" and watched one or two videos, watched them then took out my Dunkek and got 5 stars on the first game.

 

EDIT* a video I watched:

 

 

 

GL :cap_like:

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,222 battles
27 minutes ago, Juanx said:

 

So you are not complaining-raging...so this down here?

I guess this is how you mix candy?

 

Hum, "git gud" is what you wanted? There are enough guides on youtube if you wanted "help".

 

Im fresh out? Proper english within context please?

 Realy?

 

You seem to have omitted the Laughing emoticon to the left of the original pic.....

3 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Greeting guys,

Id like to apologise if this has been addressed previously but........

 

ccJYemF.gif:Smile_teethhappy:    (SEEN HERE!!!)

 

 

.....wich was there to ensure people did  NOT misinterpret it a s a rant/Rage but more of a frustrating issue...im sorry you didn't see the funny side.

 

As for my poor English..... I take it one was not amused by the insinuation that one is "all out of ideas" in regards to the above for mentioned request for relative information in conjunction with the topic of this thread.....?

 

Any better?

 

....but thank you for reminding me to search You Tube....

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MUMMY]
Players
370 posts
9,390 battles

@SeaWolf7 Ill have a game with you if you want.  Not a total potato and I want to see if the last game was a fluke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,222 battles
10 minutes ago, rage1750 said:

@SeaWolf7 Ill have a game with you if you want.  Not a total potato and I want to see if the last game was a fluke

mwJVBpu.gif LETS DO THIS!!!!

 

Will pm you m8..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Alpha Tester
124 posts
8,299 battles

5 star is still achievable but seems to be more difficult than before.

 

First, you need a suitable ship. Cleveland is certainly a good choice due to high volume of fire and good AA. If you don't have Cleveland, any high dpm light cruiser (or graf spee, which is more like a bb) will do, so just don't take Aoba or Molotov, I guess. If you like BB, any one will work. Don't take DD though, as bots are good at avoiding torps and DD usually don't last long in the mode.

 

Then, you will need luck to bring you a good team. You don't need every player to be great, but you can't afford to have more than 1 clueless teammate because you need to kill the enemy ships fast, which needs everyone's contribution. This is pure luck, unless you team up with friends to form a large division.

 

Now some hints:

1. If you are playing BB, you must tank. Without BB tanking, cruisers can be killed easily when focused by bots. If too many cruisers died early, you won't have the dpm to deal with later waves. In order to draw fire, you need to be close to the frontline, which also enables you to land more shells on enemies. Don't be afraid of eating few stray torps from enemy DDs. Low tier torp doesn't deal a lot of damage.

 

2. If you are playing cruiser, don't farm damage on easy target. You need to focus fire on there fast ships, especially DDs, to avoid the defensive line being breached. As you will see bow on target very often, be prepared to shoot more HE than AP if you are playing a light cruiser. But when bots are closer, they will show more broadside, so switching to AP will be more effective in this case. 

 

3. Don't venture too far from the defensive line. You can't afford to stay in open water all the time. To avoid being focused to death, stay close to the islands dotted along the defensive line so you can break contact easily if you see all bots are targeting you.

 

4. Don't go to the repair boat before the 10 min mark. The team will needs all available fire power to deal with the 3rd wave and you will be less effective if you are on the 2nd line. In fact, you shouldn't need to be repaired before the main attack. If you are very low on hp before that, something already went wrong.

 

5. When the friendly cv appears, you must immediately draw fire from the 2 enemy cruisers chasing after her. Sail toward them aggressively and fire at them will do. If not, they can easily kill the friendly cv (usually due to fire damage), robbing you a star.

 

6. When the main attack starts, after killing the aforementioned cruisers, retreat to the inner perimeter and defend from there. You no longer need to hold the outer line and you will have better access to repair and cover from the inner perimeter.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Modder
4,869 posts
22,128 battles

At least one player must carry. Playing BB at frontline (most the time outside a base) and doing 150-200K DMG, give you guaranteed 5 stars every 2-4 games. The most important is evading torps, rest is very easy in this scenario for BB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,222 battles
16 minutes ago, aboomination said:

memegenerator.net-150156576562527.jpg

3 STARS..... EVERYONE HUNG BACK:Smile_sceptic:

4 Stars earlier When majority of people pushed a little forward of the line....so close ....lost 1 ship On that one.....

 

30 minutes ago, tamagotchi said:

5 star is still achievable but seems to be more difficult than before.

 

First, you need a suitable ship. Cleveland is certainly a good choice due to high volume of fire and good AA. If you don't have Cleveland, any high dpm light cruiser (or graf spee, which is more like a bb) will do, so just don't take Aoba or Molotov, I guess. If you like BB, any one will work. Don't take DD though, as bots are good at avoiding torps and DD usually don't last long in the mode.

 

Then, you will need luck to bring you a good team. You don't need every player to be great, but you can't afford to have more than 1 clueless teammate because you need to kill the enemy ships fast, which needs everyone's contribution. This is pure luck, unless you team up with friends to form a large division.

 

Now some hints:

1. If you are playing BB, you must tank. Without BB tanking, cruisers can be killed easily when focused by bots. If too many cruisers died early, you won't have the dpm to deal with later waves. In order to draw fire, you need to be close to the frontline, which also enables you to land more shells on enemies. Don't be afraid of eating few stray torps from enemy DDs. Low tier torp doesn't deal a lot of damage.

 

2. If you are playing cruiser, don't farm damage on easy target. You need to focus fire on there fast ships, especially DDs, to avoid the defensive line being breached. As you will see bow on target very often, be prepared to shoot more HE than AP if you are playing a light cruiser. But when bots are closer, they will show more broadside, so switching to AP will be more effective in this case. 

 

3. Don't venture too far from the defensive line. You can't afford to stay in open water all the time. To avoid being focused to death, stay close to the islands dotted along the defensive line so you can break contact easily if you see all bots are targeting you.

 

4. Don't go to the repair boat before the 10 min mark. The team will needs all available fire power to deal with the 3rd wave and you will be less effective if you are on the 2nd line. In fact, you shouldn't need to be repaired before the main attack. If you are very low on hp before that, something already went wrong.

 

5. When the friendly cv appears, you must immediately draw fire from the 2 enemy cruisers chasing after her. Sail toward them aggressively and fire at them will do. If not, they can easily kill the friendly cv (usually due to fire damage), robbing you a star.

 

6. When the main attack starts, after killing the aforementioned cruisers, retreat to the inner perimeter and defend from there. You no longer need to hold the outer line and you will have better access to repair and cover from the inner perimeter.

Good advise on this^^ ......DD's can be frustrating as they are charging bow on, need to have some sort of angle left or right to delete them quickly. ROf seems to be essential to deal dmg quickly so cleavland is good as  HE and AP + Good AA but if focused your screwed.

Leander has good ROF, and if you can get a left or right of charging groups torping is effective whilst hammering broadside targets, if your focused smoke up keep hammering away as enough people to spot whilst concealed.....

 

Will try again later guys.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×