Voncarsteine

German vs french BB

8 comments in this topic

Players
25 posts
2,204 battles

Hey guys,

I started a topic a while back about nations’ BBs, and I got recommended to play either german or american BBs. I went german and am in the Bayern now. 

Thing is, I had a battle yesterday ending up with a 1v1 of my bayern vs the french normandie. Both half-ish hp. Not sure whos secondaries opened up first, but I got seriously outdamaged. Both angled so maybe my firing angles are worse, but still. I was under the impression german BBs had great secondaries. Looking at the numbers though, the french seem to have even better, but with accurate main guns and a turtleback. 

So, are the french replacing the germans? 

Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,625 posts
9,867 battles

German secondaries starts from tier VIII and up. 

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,253 posts
10,822 battles
34 minutes ago, _DeathWing_ said:

I was under the impression that the Gneis can get some pretty brutal secondaries for its tier? Atleast they should be mroe reliable than the main guns...

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,503 posts
14,479 battles

If you just want secondaries because you think they are more reliable than guns, ... then better play a torpedo destroyer and use the grey line :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Players
25 posts
2,204 battles
36 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

If you just want secondaries because you think they are more reliable than guns, ... then better play a torpedo destroyer and use the grey line :Smile_trollface:

Well, I was under the impression that german BBs traded main gun accuracy for an armor scheme and secondaries for brawling / close(r) ranges. But the French have armor as good as germans, but are faster, with better main guns and secondaries just as well if not better, looking at the tier x

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,253 posts
10,822 battles
21 minutes ago, Voncarsteine said:

But the French have armor as good as germans, but are faster, with better main guns and secondaries just as well if not better, looking at the tier x

On paper, perhaps, but in reality not even close. The french BB's can be citadeled, while the trademark german turtleback laughs at anything that might resemble a citadel. Also from tier 8 and up the frenchies get 32mm plating pretty much everywhere so HE and AP for that matter can melt them suprisingly quick.

As for the secondaries, the germans tend to do more damage due to 1/4 penetration rule as opposed to the 1/6 for everyone else, but the french have a higher fire chance if I remember correctly.

• Cool 1

WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,503 posts
14,479 battles

French armor is actually worse than German armor. The French BBs are not made for close combat and while their secondaries have similar range to German secondaries, they don't have the 1/4 HE pen and will do far less damage.

• Cool 1

Players
3,284 posts
24,956 battles
Am 13.5.2018 um 11:29, _DeathWing_ sagte:

Bayern can also be very nice already.

If you build it that way.

For her tier.

Though I couldn't say how well they stack up to the French in the face of powercreep.