Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bics93

Zao: where to spend last point?

Where to spend last point on Zao captain?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. PM or EL?

• Preventive maintenance
    • Expert loader

22 comments in this topic

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles

Hi! Just reached 19 points on my Zao and need an advise on where to put the last skill point.

I've already "Priority target", so the two alternatives are "Preventive maintenance" or "Expert loader" and both seems quite good on this ship: the first will increase my survaivability, while the latter can make easier to use concealment for ambushing cruiser with AP. 

What do you think? 

[CBS]
Players
75 posts
10,271 battles

On IJN (Heavy) Crusiers I'd always go with EL.

Not being able to switch to AP in time when the situation for it arises is just frustrating.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,732 battles
10 minutes ago, Bics93 said:

I've already "Priority target", so the two alternatives are "Preventive maintenance" or "Expert loader" and both seems quite good on this ship: the first will increase my survaivability, while the latter can make easier to use concealment for ambushing cruiser with AP. 

Given the choice you have, I'd take EL. My Zao doesn't have it (still a relatively low-point captain, some 14 points or something) and I feel like I've lost quite a few opportunities because of that. PM, on the other hand, doesn't help you THAT much. You do sometimes lose guns but not that often. You do sometimes lose torps but they're very situational anyway. Your rudder and engine are reasonably tough.

All things considered, what you really get out of PM is that your AA becomes a bit less vulnerable and your guns, that do sometimes end up knocked out for a while, will be less likely to take a five in the middle of a fight. It's not irrelevant, for sure, but I think EL will serve you better.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,466 posts
19,635 battles

Priority Target is an investment with a smaller payoff than Expert Loader. Contrary to other cruisers you have a concealment rating that allows you to just drop off the radar, reposition, and wait for the modules to go back online.

AFAIK EL synergizes with AR, so you can drop the ammo switch really low allowing you to surprise people thinking IJN cruisers shoot only HE.

[CBS]
Players
75 posts
10,271 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, eliastion sagte:

All things considered, what you really get out of PM is that your AA becomes a bit less vulnerable...

Are you 100% sure about that?

As far as I remember, PM only affects the "main systems" on a ship (main battery, torpedos, rudder, engines)

Edit: That's the description from the wiki:

"Reduces the risk of ship modules becoming incapacitated (main caliber turrets, torpedo tubes, engine and propulsion only). "

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,643 posts
10,081 battles
4 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Priority Target is an investment with a smaller payoff than Expert Marksman. Contrary to other cruisers you have a concealment rating that allows you to just drop off the radar, reposition, and wait for the modules to go back online.

AFAIK EM synergizes with AR, so you can drop the ammo switch really low allowing you to surprise people thinking IJN cruisers shoot only HE.

You mean Expert Loader? :Smile-_tongue:

My pick would be, and is, Expert Loader, to use the AP when an opportunity pops up.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,466 posts
19,635 battles
2 minutes ago, ColdWarFish said:

As far as I remember, PM only affects the "main systems" on a ship (main battery, torpedos, rudder, engines)

You're right about that. PM only works for Guns, Torps, Engine, and Steering. AA is not included.

1 minute ago, WolfGewehr said:

You mean Expert Loader?

Yes. :Smile_facepalm:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,732 battles
7 minutes ago, ColdWarFish said:

No, I'm not. I must admit, I just assumed that since it seemed to make sense...

Oh well, seems like I learned something today :cap_book:

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
16 minuti fa, Capra76 ha scritto:

Is the double catapult fighter worth considering as an alternative?

Well, I use the spotter plane while having vigilance+hydro for dealing with DDs. 

Also I usually play with unicum CV clanmate, so I’m not so afraid of planes:cap_haloween: 

Edit: forgot the most important detail: this is also the ship I plan to use in clan battles.

Players
1,567 posts
10,261 battles

Expert loader.

I prefer switching to AP when target is broadside. Thats of course,  under this condition PM and EL to pick one.

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
19 minuti fa, viceadmiral123 ha scritto:

I use the skill that gives you 2 scout planes.

May I ask what is the purpose of your choice? 

Is it to have more chances to spot an enemy DD? 

12 minuti fa, Boris_MNE ha scritto:

I prefer switching to AP when target is broadside. Thats of course,  under this condition PM and EL to pick one.

Feel free to add your opinion if it  is different from the two options of my poll... 

Players
1,567 posts
10,261 battles
Just now, Bics93 said:

May I ask what is the purpose of your choice? 

Is it to have more chances to spot an enemy DD? 

Feel free to add your opinion if it  is different from the two options of my poll... 

Give us your full build please, so I can see where you focused?

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
3 minuti fa, Boris_MNE ha scritto:

Give us your full build please, so I can see where you focused?

I’m on mobile, so I can’t take screenshots from the game, hope it isn’t a problem.

1: PT

2: EM; AR;

3: DE; SI; VIG;

4: CE

As I previously said, this is meant to be a Clan Battle build, so I avoided AA skills.

Players
1,567 posts
10,261 battles
Just now, Bics93 said:

I’m on mobile, so I can’t take screenshots from the game, hope it isn’t a problem.

1: PT

2: EM; AR;

3: DE; SI; VIG;

4: CE

As I previously said, this is meant to be a Clan Battle build, so I avoided AA skills.

EL.

You can spot enemy ship, and when they realise you have spotted them they will start turning. If you have He loaded it will always be good to have AP or vice versa (if you see DD and you have AP loaded):

PM -> not really needed ( our zaos dont complain about broken guns often)

2 spotter planes -> for spotting DDs and torps usefull (but you already have Vigilance so not needed).

Note: This is personal opinion.

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
22 minuti fa, Boris_MNE ha scritto:

EL.

You can spot enemy ship, and when they realise you have spotted them they will start turning. If you have He loaded it will always be good to have AP or vice versa (if you see DD and you have AP loaded):

PM -> not really needed ( our zaos dont complain about broken guns often)

2 spotter planes -> for spotting DDs and torps usefull (but you already have Vigilance so not needed).

Note: This is personal opinion.

Very appreciated explanation, thank you! :Smile_honoring:

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

EL is actually quite good on Cruisers with viable AP as sometimes you need to hault the HE spam with a quick AP punch...

I've had success with it on the Moskva.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Expert Loader, definately.

IJN AP is pretty strong (many people underestimate it in favour of using its excellent HE) and with the amazing Zao ballistics you can absolutely punish ships showing you a broadside, But since you're still mostly going to be using HE, Expert Loader helps being adaptable on the fly to exploit enemy missplays.

• Cool 1

Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Not to hijack this thread, but assuming I have basically the same build as the OP but I don't want Vigilance, what do I spend those 3 points on?

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
3 ore fa, VC381 ha scritto:

Not to hijack this thread, but assuming I have basically the same build as the OP but I don't want Vigilance, what do I spend those 3 points on?

Well, I’m quite noobish, but Manual AA + AA range mod can push your AA to a nice level with ~250dps at 6km...

Whit Defensive fire you can support your allies disturbing enemy planes while HE spamming from the second line, but you can also prevent a full drop while flanking alone... 

Sign in to follow this