You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cyclops_

Battleship play in Ranked??

23 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
1,131 posts
19,850 battles

Why in a lot of ranked games are BB's always at the bottom ???

5af7e9a1b9e03_InkedWorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.13-08_23_26.28_LI.thumb.jpg.5dc0418957434d11948a4d91efab839f.jpg

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
495 posts
22,474 battles

The easiest and most forgiving class for the masses, beginners, and no brainers.... Same as in random mostly

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles
3 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

5af7e9a1b9e03_InkedWorldofWarshipsScreenshot2018_05.13-08_23_26.28_LI.thumb.jpg.5dc0418957434d11948a4d91efab839f.jpg

I encounter enough that top the scoreboard for whatever reason. Had a game yesterday in which I got 3 kills, a cap, 80k damage plus quite some spotting damage, cap defense and all the good stuff in yy. Was rather confident about being first. Nope. Both our bbs overtook me. One got fire proof and dreadnought, the other one high calibre. We won, so it didn't really matter, but, as some other threads have shown, ranked xp gain is a strange beast. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,522 battles
6 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

They dont cap, cruisers hide for the most part so they’re resigned to shooting BBs, most often at long range because they’re scared of the enemy DD... basically BBs rarely contribute to anything other than being there as an imoveable object that the enemy has to take into consideration..

• Cool 2

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles
2 minutes ago, PapVogele said:

basically BBs rarely contribute to anything other than being there as an imoveable object that the enemy has to take into consideration..

To be fair, so long as they successfully deny and don't die I'm fine with that. The largest responsibility a bb has in other terms is the large amount of points it carries for its team. Die and you put your guys at a great disadvantage if you don't get the trade. 

• Cool 2

Players
4,447 posts
7,604 battles
2 minutes ago, aboomination said:

BB mostly get their xp from dmg, ranked battles are often not about dmg.

XP from capping has been nerfed into the ground, what else is there other than DMG?

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,286 battles

Because these BBs play like you want BBs to play? Push caps, take damage etc and get instantly deleted with no damage or xp.

Players
2,197 posts

Rank IMO is totally different from Random. You have only 7 ships to start and the presence of a Battleship group usually keeps away Cruisers, who could kill the Destroyers trying to cap.

In rank, IMHO, unless things go badly early in the game, it is carried by Destroyer and Cruisers. I play Destroyers only in rank X battles now and knowing that a Battleship or ships is within range gives me the confidence to cap and spot knowing that if a cruiser pops up he has a high chance of getting splatted from a Battleship salvo. The Cruisers also know that they have the big guns available. This ONLY works if communication is consistent and the Battleship is able to understand requests for help and act upon them.

The best I saw was when I was in my Yeuyang pinned by the Moskva radar, after about 8 minutes, screaming for help as I was identifying the target, two Battleships fired a single salvo a piece and deleted the troublesome Cruiser. I was able to get to the 17th minute with about 600hp left capping twice as I did before being sunk by the last remaining enemy destroyer.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
4 hours ago, Cyclops_ said:

Here's a sum up, I'd say a rather accurate one:

Va9F3QH.png

Tanking requires a competent team which would use that, otherwise you'll just lose lots of hp / die for no reason.

Being far away comes with the usual "you won't hit anything" idea same as in randoms.

BBs that come high are the ones in between those 2 - far enough not to take hits (usually a few km behind CAs) but close enough to still hit their targets.

Why? Potential dmg is not rewarded, only doing dmg is.

• Cool 3

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Why? Potential dmg is not rewarded, only doing dmg is.

You don't even need to specify that potential damage isn't rewarded. Practically nothing is rewarded other than damage. Even capping is laughable. I remember one game in particular where I had three solo caps, still did a chunk of damage (about 150%, or something like that, which is better than carrying my own weight), and I still barely got on top of the scoreboard, with a fairly crap result. That was probably the only time I've ever gotten top in Ranked in a destroyer.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, AnotherDuck said:

You don't even need to specify that potential damage isn't rewarded. Practically nothing is rewarded other than damage. Even capping is laughable. I remember one game in particular where I had three solo caps, still did a chunk of damage (about 150%, or something like that, which is better than carrying my own weight), and I still barely got on top of the scoreboard, with a fairly crap result. That was probably the only time I've ever gotten top in Ranked in a destroyer.

I do find it funny how my experience with that is directly opposite. Even if I ignore allied DDs

Played 8 games as a DD in this season - as a Radar Hsienyang bcuz why not. Solocap the free cap + get a few shots on an enemy DD before dying or hiding bcuz I'm on so low hp i'd die from getting sneezed on. Result? 2 wins (don't remember how high up I was) and 6 losses in which I lost just 1 star (a.k.a. saved 5).

Capping (solocapping to be exact) gives lots of xp (as it should) and thus DDs have so much easier time getting up high in the scoreboards for no good reason *sigh*

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Played 8 games as a DD in this season - as a Radar Hsienyang bcuz why not. Solocap the free cap + get a few shots on an enemy DD before dying or hiding bcuz I'm on so low hp i'd die from getting sneezed on. Result? 2 wins (don't remember how high up I was) and 6 losses in which I lost just 1 star (a.k.a. saved 5).

Capping (solocapping to be exact) gives lots of xp (as it should) and thus DDs have so much easier time getting up high in the scoreboards for no good reason *sigh*

I've done that many times. A couple of solo caps, a not insignificant amount of damage, and middle of the team. I barely see any experience from capping nowdays. The last few games I've ignored capping for the most part, with no apparent reduction in experience.

• Cool 1

Players
14 posts
16,752 battles

My experience in ranked was somewhat different. im an above average player. i got through this season with my nc and yama and i had the top score in almost 50% of my matches.

it was my impression that bbs actually have an easier time to score points.

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
13 hours ago, aboomination said:

BB mostly get their xp from dmg, ranked battles are often not about dmg.

You get xp according to % damage. Deal couple of pens to dds and deal some damage to CAs, you are gonna get sh.t ton of xp with BBs.

OP just met some potato BBs. Just look at enemy montana. :Smile_facepalm: its really hard to manage getting that low xp with montana in ranked. 

Edit: omg just noticed that he actually survived the battle but still got that low xp :cap_fainting:like HOW? One or two pens on CAs and you will get more xp than 150...

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,522 battles
22 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

To be fair, so long as they successfully deny and don't die I'm fine with that. The largest responsibility a bb has in other terms is the large amount of points it carries for its team. Die and you put your guys at a great disadvantage if you don't get the trade. 

I agree, I didn’t mean for it to sound negative, I was just explaining rather objectively why BBs score so low in ranked ☺️

Their primary function is to be a big scary lump of metal, and if they position themselves right, it makes the cruisers and DDs job that much easier as enemy movements become much more predictable when they cant give broadside to a friendly BB in an advantageous position (ie. Not 20+ km away) :)

Edited by PapVogele
My phone has a splelling disorder
  • Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,350 posts
20,166 battles
11 hours ago, ghostbuster_ said:

Edit: omg just noticed that he actually survived the battle but still got that low xp :cap_fainting:like HOW? One or two pens on CAs and you will get more xp than 150...

Team collapse

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
11 minutes ago, Ysterpyp said:

Team collapse

Doesnt explain 150xp. Even your team collapsed in the fastest way possible, you would get more XP after couple hits. I guess that "player" was waay out of position and couldnt hit anything. :cap_haloween:

[UNICS]
Players
1,350 posts
20,166 battles
3 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

Doesnt explain 150xp. Even your team collapsed in the fastest way possible, you would get more XP after couple hits. I guess that "player" was waay out of position and couldnt hit anything. :cap_haloween:

TK'ing team collapse lol

[POI--]
Players
361 posts
10,985 battles

I have had such mixed results that i am not even sure anymore to be honest, i have games where the battleships carry me, and games where i honestly don't understand how they have such a low score, in the end i find it's entirely down to "did they go to the correct cap", often teams will fully commit to a cap which puts us at a severe disadvantage; leaving dd players (like me) to try fix the horrible situation we are now in being shot from 2 (or more) sides.

Sometimes you have games like this: where the bbs perform generally admirably but due to their positioning; fall apart and lose in the end;2018-05-13.thumb.png.0daa236051af7089c2b4fc3c18a47586.png

and then you have this... which i honestly don't even know how this is possible

unknown.png.a7dd3104d5aaf45cacad07d0b5801b66.png

Players
254 posts
17,494 battles

IMHO: there's no general rule on what a BB has to do because often you have to do everything yourself.

I'd say, one thing, BBs are particularly good at, is to soak up damage that would otherwise hit your more fragile teammates. And area denial. You scare cruisers away while DDs go in and fight for the cap. But you have to keep up with the rest of your team because you are an easy target when caught alone. Also, you can delay an enemy push for a while so that the rest of the team has time to do their job.

But that is not specific for ranked battles alone. General BB gameplay.

You don't go for the first place in your team. You primarily  go for the win. Even if it means that you have to sacrifice your ship.

• Cool 3

[IRQ]
Players
2,930 posts
7,510 battles
1 hour ago, yahooooo said:

You don't go for the first place in your team. You primarily  go for the win. Even if it means that you have to sacrifice your ship.

That's how you should play. It's not how people actually play.

• Cool 1