Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
freddiebox

Can some kind soul help me with a camouflage mod?

7 comments in this topic

Players
14 posts
843 battles

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this, but I didn't find any section to ask mod related questions.

I use a camouflage mod that hide all camouflages from ships for immersion. In particular the stupid Restless Fire and Victory Salute camouflages. While this is all fine I still want premium ship camouflages to show as they just look awesome and somewhat realistic.

Premium ships being:

Japan: Yubari, Ishizuchi, Mutsu, Kii, Atago, and Musashi

United States: Atlanta, Sims, and Alabama

Germany: Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, and Tirpitz

United Kingdom: Nelson and Hood

Poland: Blyskawica

Pan-Asia: Loyang

France: Dunkerque and De Grasse

Italy: Duca D'Aosta

Commonwealth: Perth

Here is the camouflages.xml file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4u1104cfffk2qqo/camouflages.xml

If someone could show me what lines to edit/remove, or if you got time edit them for me.

Thanks!

Players
4,014 posts
9 minutes ago, freddiebox said:

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this, but I didn't find any section to ask mod related questions.

I use a camouflage mod that hide all camouflages from ships for immersion. In particular the stupid Restless Fire and Victory Salute camouflages. While this is all fine I still want premium ship camouflages to show as they just look awesome and somewhat realistic.

Premium ships being:

Japan: Yubari, Ishizuchi, Mutsu, Kii, Atago, and Musashi

United States: Atlanta, Sims, and Alabama

Germany: Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, and Tirpitz

United Kingdom: Nelson and Hood

Poland: Blyskawica

Pan-Asia: Loyang

France: Dunkerque and De Grasse

Italy: Duca D'Aosta

Commonwealth: Perth

Here is the camouflages.xml file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4u1104cfffk2qqo/camouflages.xml

If someone could show me what lines to edit/remove, or if you got time edit them for me.

Thanks!

Dont go into all the effort (a friendly advice).

Every patch the files will get overwritten, not to mention useless when new ship lines and branches will get introduced.

I used not to like ARP camos ... now I dont even notice anymore. Focus on game mechanics and not some camos. Enjoy!

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
529 posts
17,849 battles
I think you were looking for: English Speaking Forum... Community Area... Mods. ( https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/493-mod-section/ )

Agree in part with nambr9. I feel that it is worth the amount of effort I put into replacing some textures and editing camouflages.xml, but when I saw how much I'd have to edit to fix the texture tiling (7 or 8 entries per texture (for different ship groups) with multiple lines (for how many times it should be scaled on particular sections) I decided that would be too much work.

I did try editing (a default) camouflages.xml as it seemed like a reasonable idea to go through the <!--//Default tile camouflage--> section and change the texture names to the one they use for the single colour Back-2-School camouflages and the colour scheme entries to use one that would make that single colour a fairly neutral one. Either I cocked it up both times or the idea was flawed, and I don't feel like a third attempt.

What might be useful is a mod called Chilled Special Camos as that works by replacing the textures with solid black ones and Wargaming don't change their texture names between patches, so you just need to pop those textures in the right folder each time the game updates (which is less work and more foolproof than the search-and-replace within camouflages.xml I attempted). As colours are set in camouflages.xml (*) and the fellow had deliberately left that unchanged to avoid conflicts with mods that do alter that this does leave some camouflages with rather bright colours, though no brighter than the US School Bus Yellow of Back-2-School. So what you might also do is edit camouflages.xml to copy and paste less bright colour schemes (*) over those entries.

(* - The textures have a pattern of red, green, blue, and black and camouflages.xml has colour schemes with color0, color1, color2, and color3 (I don't know which colour in the texture corresponds to which entry). So if you replace the textures then you still have the same colours and conversely if you edit the colour schemes then you still have the same patterns.)

Alternatively you could just edit camouflages.xml as some of the patterns look quite nice when they are in blues and greens and greys rather than otherwise, and I quite like Victory Salute with the altered colours.

shot-18_05.13_20_58.29-0221.thumb.jpg.9b05f6fba39b05b92fd882c0e99c70b3.jpgshot-18_05.13_20_55.02-0153.thumb.jpg.0961be39c99cac98e98454dac4d3a9a5.jpg

But whatever you do remember nambr9's advice and that you'd have to do it for each update, so you have to weigh reward against work.

Modder
205 posts
8,502 battles

The camouflages mod that you're using works by making all the colours transparent. To make select camouflages visible again, you have to change the colours back to their original state.

As an example, let us take Mutsu. Search the XML file for "Mutsu" and you find the entry for the premium camouflage:

<camouflage>
        <annotation>Mutsu unique permOflage block</annotation>
        <name>camo_permanent_1</name>
        <targetShip>PJSB506_Mutsu</targetShip>
        <tiled>false</tiled>
        <UV>
            <Tile>1 1</Tile>
            <Gun>1 1</Gun>
        </UV>
        <Textures>
            <Bow_Hull>content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/JSB002_Mutsu_1933_hull_camo_01.dds</Bow_Hull>
            <MidFront_Hull>content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/JSB002_Mutsu_1933_hull_camo_01.dds</MidFront_Hull>
            <MidFront_DeckHouse>content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/JSB002_Mutsu_1933_deck_house_camo_01.dds</MidFront_DeckHouse>
            <MidBack_Hull>content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/JSB002_Mutsu_1933_hull_camo_01.dds</MidBack_Hull>
            <MidBack_DeckHouse>content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/JSB002_Mutsu_1933_deck_house_camo_01.dds</MidBack_DeckHouse>
            <Stern_Hull>content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/JSB002_Mutsu_1933_hull_camo_01.dds</Stern_Hull>
            <Gun>content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures/G_gun_camo_01.dds</Gun>
        </Textures>
        <colorSchemes>colorSchemeIJNP14</colorSchemes>
        <colorSchemes>colorSchemeIJNP38</colorSchemes>

</camouflage>

As you can see, there are two colour schemes. Looking these up, you can find

<!--//IJN UNIQUE Shinonome colour scheme 14-->
        <colorScheme>
            <name>colorSchemeIJNP14</name>
        <color0>0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000</color0>
        <color1>0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000</color1>
        <color2>0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000</color2>
        <color3>0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000</color3>
        <colorUI>0.509 0.529 0.278 1.000</colorUI>
        </colorScheme>

the normal green colour scheme (with an apparently incorrect comment, Shinonome doesn't use this scheme), and

<!--//IJN UNIQUE naval blue Ishizuchi colour scheme 38-->
        <colorScheme>
            <name>colorSchemeIJNP38</name>
            <color0>0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000</color0>
            <color1>0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000</color1>
            <color2>0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000</color2>
            <colorUI>0.278 0.509 0.701 1.000</colorUI>
        </colorScheme>

the alternative blue colour scheme, which is also used by a whole lot of other premium camouflages.

Now you need to get the original camouflages.xml, and look up the schemes: 

<!--//IJN UNIQUE Shinonome colour scheme 14-->
        <colorScheme>
            <name>colorSchemeIJNP14</name>
            <color0>0.263 0.275 0.133 0.784</color0>
            <color1>0.350 0.372 0.320 1.000</color1>
            <color2>0.035 0.047 0.012 0.784</color2>
            <color3>0.085 0.082 0.068 1.000</color3>
        </colorScheme>

and

<!--//IJN UNIQUE naval blue Ishizuchi colour scheme 38-->
        <colorScheme>
            <name>colorSchemeIJNP38</name>
            <color0>0.032 0.072 0.125 1.000</color0>
            <color1>0.006 0.010 0.017 1.000</color1>
            <color2>0.293 0.349 0.394 1.000</color2>
            <colorUI>0.278 0.509 0.701 1.000</colorUI>
        </colorScheme>

As you can see, these have RGB values that are not just zeros. Copy the schemes and paste them into your camouflages.xml, and the premium camouflage for Mutsu should work again; rinse and repeat for all other premium camouflages. I can't test this right now, but that's how it should work.

I agree with what others have said, it is quite a bit of work and has to be repeated after every update (though I'm sure this can be scripted). But if you still want to do it, consider releasing that file as a mod of your own, so other people who want the same changes to the camouflages can just download it.

Also, this totally belongs into the Mods forum. Maybe a moderator can move it there.

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles

Seeing that you can even change colours I'd advocate a ban on these mods as certain changes may greatly help to target someone, especially if the colours are very shiny. Yes, minute detail, but still provides an advantage.

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
529 posts
17,849 battles

I can understand your argument as people have suggested that the Missouri camouflage (and others) where the hull is a solid blue is better because they think that makes the waterline harder to see, and conversely people have suggested that (goes and checks) Ocean Soul is a bad camouflage as the horizontal stripes give guidance for how high up to aim. So people have said they think camouflages actually make a difference.

On the other hand Wargaming have felt those two camouflages are fine and so are Back-2-School (solid yellow) and For meritorious service (solid white). So my feeling is that it would be difficult to make things "worse" than some of the available camouflages already do, though admittedly you could make it so that "worse" is always present, and in my case I'm using colour schemes from permanent camouflages and making things less "shiny". 

Quality Poster
1,695 posts
9,500 battles

But why tho?

The game has an in-game option to disable most if not all of the fantasy camos.

As a historian, I hate the in-game fictitious flags, but I still ended up with them even when I used a mod, cos every single update breaks whichever mod you use until the modder releases a patch.

I grew tired of having to continuously download and update so stopped using it.

I'd rather have an empty flag staff or whatever they are hung from than the ones they use now for the KM or IJN, as that seems a nice midway point between offensive historical flag and ridiculous made up one.

But unfortunately, there is no in game option for that, unlike for the camo thing.

I do take you know this exists, so which camos does it not exist for?

Or do you just mean all the green and orange and whatnot camouflages?

Sign in to follow this