Sign in to follow this  
SirAmra

Is the Republique worth the money? Help needed to decide.

28 comments in this topic

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
933 posts

So, I've unlocked the Republique.

She's on disqount.

I've heard many mixed msg about her. Is she worth it?

Or should I just be "happy" with the Alsace?

Any input would be helpfull.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,727 posts
5,270 battles

Doesn't look too bad from what I've seen. 

That turret arrangement has me worried though (never played her)

[GURKA]
Players
5,197 posts
10,424 battles
3 hours ago, siramra said:

So, I've unlocked the Republique.

She's on disqount.

I've heard many mixed msg about her. Is she worth it?

Or should I just be "happy" with the Alsace?

Any input would be helpfull.

You have to understand how that ships works. People say, it's a squishy ship. Well I guess it's not that squishy, but it's somehow big and easy to hit. Also everyone focus you, beacuse of all those youtube videos with citadel hits from cruisers and stuff (I never got a citadell hit from a cruiser)

How I play the Republique: I often move full speed to the front and turn behind an island to move diagonal away. That baits a lot of dmg on you, but you will also surive.

The guns are generally pretty good, it has high caliber, but the disperson is sometimes weird, high horizontal spreading.

It's fun with the legendary commander for adrenalin rush, when your guns reload in 16 s.

• Cool 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
933 posts

I hear the long range accuracy isn't that good?

And by long range I'm refering to about 19-21km and not maximum range.

I usually don't fire at targets over those ranges.

Does she like brawling with those secondaries?

And finally: secondaries or AA?

I know I ask quite a few questions. But I'm so confused  to buy or not to buy her. Lol

[UNICS]
Players
1,350 posts
20,072 battles

just buy, if she not good she will get buffed anyway, u dont play up to t9 and not get the tier 10

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Players
203 posts
8,575 battles
1 hour ago, siramra said:

I hear the long range accuracy isn't that good?

And by long range I'm refering to about 19-21km and not maximum range.

I usually don't fire at targets over those ranges.

Does she like brawling with those secondaries?

And finally: secondaries or AA?

I know I ask quite a few questions. But I'm so confused  to buy or not to buy her. Lol

I got her recently and I can't say I love the ship, but she's not bad either. Armor feels tougher than the Alsace, the fast reload tends to catch enemies off-guard during turns, accuracy is... bearable.

Extreme range fire (20km+) will not work - only 8 shells with high dispersion are just not good for this. 

I went with secondary build and what I can say about it is - it is worth it. The secondaries are fast-firing, with ridiculous fire chance (though they don't do much damage to the enemies most of the time). So far I find her strong at 10-12km ranges - secondaries set enemies on fire and primary guns tend to hit quite often at those ranges. 

Regarding the main guns it worth noting that fast reload + high fire chance allows you to switch to HE when a BB is angled and still be able to output lots of damage.

The armor is quite tough and from the layout I can see it has some form of turtleback profile. Torpedo belt however is almost non-existent.

She works well for supporting a flank - taking shell hits and dealing damage to multiple targets for example (secondary build). Contrary to GK however, she cannot push in front line when there may be a DD nearby - torpedoes can obliterate her HP without any hope of healing the damage. GK has the advantage in such scenarios (when hydro is available).

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,973 posts
7,324 battles

Personally I love her. She's as fun as Montana with her own, specific playstyle.

Strong ship, but far from being overpowered either.

You even can choose the build you want : you can go with a full secondary build as she got plenty of them, with fast reload, very long range and very good fire chance, or go for a more classic survivability build with CE, Fire Prevention, Adrenaline Rush...

I choose the survivability build, and put everything I had into improving her main battery. And she's amazing.

The 431 aren't that accurate, true, but they are accurate enough, especially with a 20 seconds reload. And boiiiii, do they hurts a lot. A BB that is insufficiently angled will eat penetration all day every day, cruisers will hate you, and the fast reload coupled with the fast turret makes it a very, very dangerous brawler against other tX BBs.

I think those are actually my favourite guns in the game. Those 431 punchs through most armor even angled, does a tons of damage, reload very fast, and got a very good ballistic which makes it very comfortable to aim with.

Her only real issue is against DDs. With only 8 guns and a Yamato-level of penetration, they overpens on DDs a lot instead of nuking them like Montana does with her 12 guns. On the bright side, those 431mm often will penetrates when 406mm would have just bounced.

She doesn't like HE spamming at all. Zao, Hindenburg, DM and Conqueror are her bane. But she's as scary for them as they are for her. 431mm overmatch easily the Hindenburg and the DM, so if they are a bit too static you just nuke them through the deck, and if they are kiting away, any salvo with proper aiming will shave a lot of their HP.

You absolutely need to avoid being focused by several cruiser. You should avoid it with any BB anyway, but she's particularly vulnerable to it. However she's fast with decent concealment, so you can pretty often just run away if you find you're beginning to overextend.

Her playstyle is basically a lot like Montana, but even more speedy, and with the potential to be extremely agressive in endgame. That ship is incredibly scary when it reach endgame with enough HP left. 

For the first half of the game I'd usually play her at mid-range, around her concealment limit (13.5km), and support the front line, either by kiting away or pushing angled. You should never broadside with her. The rear turret can't be exactly used from safety, so be sure to always angle between salvoes. She's agile enough to pull it off without issue.

She can helps DDs a lot when there aren't that much opposition in the cap by following them and putting pressure on the few enemies present.

I'd say République is a support ship for the first half of the game. She can't afford to take a beating like a Yamato or a GK would, but she compensate by bringing a LOT of pressure with her guns. With a salvo every 20 seconds, your target really can't turn away recklessy without being punished.

And for the later half, Speed boost and Adrenaline Rush starts to shine as you get faster and faster reload for each damage you take and can bring those guns easily anywhere on the map.

Overall, a very fun ship, that can play the objective, and bring to the table an artillery that is more scary than you would think looking at the stats on paper. She can't tank as much as Yamato, GK, Montana would, but played properly she's anything but an easy target either. Cruisers fear her as much as they love shooting at her.

• Cool 2

[GURKA]
Players
5,197 posts
10,424 battles
4 hours ago, Ysterpyp said:

just buy, if she not good she will get buffed anyway, u dont play up to t9 and not get the tier 10

Alsace is pretty nice though :D

[KINGS]
Players
64 posts
5,612 battles

What you should know about this ship: (mostly things you have to be aware of, so you dont get disappointed)

This ship can be hell frustrating to play. By that I mean, it depends on the MM and how lucky you are with dispersion. If you get too many HE spamming ships on the enemy team, this ship will not last a minute. Everything pens you from [edited]to mouth. Even smoked up DDs that has IFHE on their commander, can deal 20-30k dmg on you, if you just have to turn away after getting too close. Conqueror, Worcester, Des moines, Salem, Moskva, Zao, Hindenburg, Henri IV, Harugumo, Khabarovsk, Grozovoi, Gearing etc. They will eat you alive if you get too close. Also when other tier X BBs shoots HE on your broadside, you know something is wrong! Because of the 32mm all around, she makes up an easy target for any ships that wants you down, unless you sit in the backrow and snipe which makes you ineffective. Guns are inconsistent if you ask me, which is a shame. Wargaming gave her 320m dispersion which is far the worst of all tier X battleships. She is a very big ship and has a large silhouette, turns like a brick, and is easy to hit with torps. Gun alignment is crap, as you have to give alot of broadside, almost kurfurst like to get your rear turret to shoot. Id rather see wargaming putting the rear turret up at the front, and ill think she'll be ok and more competetive. Right now she doesnt really pose a threat to any ship, as she is too easy to get around. Only noobs broadsiding will get punished by you if your dispersion dont troll you. If you try to angle the ship, enemy BBs will just pummel you with HE  and that will do full dmg to you. Brawling capabilities wise against other BBs, are not her thing though she have some turtleback armor.

If you want to play her effectively, you want to be flanking and not being focused on, as you are not a kurfurst or yamato. But even angled, other battleships can deal somewhere between 6-15k on you reliably, just by shooting your nose or superstructure. Only really the turrets have armor, and you can hope they will bounce the hits.

All in all you will get mixed games with her because of the inconsistency of the guns and matchmaking. Sometimes your guns hit and do alright, other times you struggle with the dispersion, which imo makes any good player with nice aiming, a bad player all of a sudden.

Anyways, good luck with her if you decide to give it a try :)

[UTW]
8,973 posts
7,324 battles

You need very little angle to use all the guns... It's clearly better than both Yamato and Montana and nowhere near GK level.

Max dispersion is tied to range. Saying "it's the biggest" means absolutely nothing.

The ship isn't very accurate, true, but that's about the only freaking downsides of those guns.

They got alpha. They got penetration. They got 30mm overmatch. They got fast shells and awesome balistics. Add to this the reload that puts constant pressure to your target and you basically gets one of the best artillery of the game. Save for the accuracy that can derp sometimes.

It's true the ship is somewhat fragile and can't tank like a Montana or a Yamato. On the other hand it got speed and an artillery I find more consistent than Montana's ! Monty may sature the sky with shells, but République will punishes bad angling and will never miss an opening thanks to reload and fast shells that don't let anyone try a reckless move without being punished for it.

Finally, it is as dangerous for cruisers as it fears them. Sure HE spam will hurts, but the return fire from hose 430 are nothing to scoff at. Devastating strikes on tier X cruiser happens quite regularly.

• Cool 1

[-GG-]
Players
329 posts
18,682 battles

All tier X BBs are worth their price.

Rep shines in endgames where "rapid" reload (by BBs standard) counts much more. Its a great ship to finish off wounded enemy.

I also notice that it has very good dispersion. Sigma is lower than Yamato but in practice Rep is a "sniper" among other BBs.  

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
933 posts

I bought her and I love her. Finished with the legendary equipment grind on her.

Haven't mounted it yet. Have so many legendaries to grind atm.

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,384 posts
7,971 battles

Got mine like 2 months ago but never played her. However I see lots of 'em are using her in both competitive and clan wars. By looking at her gameplay she's a good flanker and cruiser killer. 

Players
462 posts
6,865 battles
On 11/26/2018 at 1:19 AM, Allanagtig said:

What you should know about this ship: (mostly things you have to be aware of, so you dont get disappointed)

This ship can be hell frustrating to play. By that I mean, it depends on the MM and how lucky you are with dispersion. If you get too many HE spamming ships on the enemy team, this ship will not last a minute. Everything pens you from [edited]to mouth. Even smoked up DDs that has IFHE on their commander, can deal 20-30k dmg on you, if you just have to turn away after getting too close. Conqueror, Worcester, Des moines, Salem, Moskva, Zao, Hindenburg, Henri IV, Harugumo, Khabarovsk, Grozovoi, Gearing etc. They will eat you alive if you get too close. Also when other tier X BBs shoots HE on your broadside, you know something is wrong! Because of the 32mm all around, she makes up an easy target for any ships that wants you down, unless you sit in the backrow and snipe which makes you ineffective. Guns are inconsistent if you ask me, which is a shame. Wargaming gave her 320m dispersion which is far the worst of all tier X battleships. She is a very big ship and has a large silhouette, turns like a brick, and is easy to hit with torps. Gun alignment is crap, as you have to give alot of broadside, almost kurfurst like to get your rear turret to shoot. Id rather see wargaming putting the rear turret up at the front, and ill think she'll be ok and more competetive. Right now she doesnt really pose a threat to any ship, as she is too easy to get around. Only noobs broadsiding will get punished by you if your dispersion dont troll you. If you try to angle the ship, enemy BBs will just pummel you with HE  and that will do full dmg to you. Brawling capabilities wise against other BBs, are not her thing though she have some turtleback armor.

If you want to play her effectively, you want to be flanking and not being focused on, as you are not a kurfurst or yamato. But even angled, other battleships can deal somewhere between 6-15k on you reliably, just by shooting your nose or superstructure. Only really the turrets have armor, and you can hope they will bounce the hits.

All in all you will get mixed games with her because of the inconsistency of the guns and matchmaking. Sometimes your guns hit and do alright, other times you struggle with the dispersion, which imo makes any good player with nice aiming, a bad player all of a sudden.

Anyways, good luck with her if you decide to give it a try :)

By far the most accurate description of driving the Republic. I think my worst win rate BB currently I just cant get it to work. Burned down most matches and trolled by the guns although lethal when fired at me lol. Just finished a (short) game where our DD's were lost within minutes of the match and I spent most of it on fire. Caught a De Moines and Roon broadside. fired into Roon perfect dispersion (for once) and only did 9k damage De Moines tried to ram missed I fired point blank 5k damage. Roon destroyed me with torpedoes. Couldn't make it up. All in all really frustrating experience in this ship so far. 

Yp5OfLA.jpg

Players
499 posts
11 hours ago, Merlin851526 said:

By far the most accurate description of driving the Republic. I think my worst win rate BB currently I just cant get it to work.

Try the aiming tutorial.

[BGNAV]
Players
203 posts
8,575 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 10:41 AM, almitov said:

I got her recently and I can't say I love the ship, but she's not bad either. Armor feels tougher than the Alsace, the fast reload tends to catch enemies off-guard during turns, accuracy is... bearable.

Extreme range fire (20km+) will not work - only 8 shells with high dispersion are just not good for this. 

I went with secondary build and what I can say about it is - it is worth it. The secondaries are fast-firing, with ridiculous fire chance (though they don't do much damage to the enemies most of the time). So far I find her strong at 10-12km ranges - secondaries set enemies on fire and primary guns tend to hit quite often at those ranges. 

Regarding the main guns it worth noting that fast reload + high fire chance allows you to switch to HE when a BB is angled and still be able to output lots of damage.

The armor is quite tough and from the layout I can see it has some form of turtleback profile. Torpedo belt however is almost non-existent.

She works well for supporting a flank - taking shell hits and dealing damage to multiple targets for example (secondary build). Contrary to GK however, she cannot push in front line when there may be a DD nearby - torpedoes can obliterate her HP without any hope of healing the damage. GK has the advantage in such scenarios (when hydro is available).

I need to revise my statement. After some experience with the ship I would say the secondary spec is not that good after all. Yes, it can hurt the enemies but even if you spec everything towards survival of secondary and AA modules, they keep getting knocked out most of the time. I find tanky build a bit more successful after some testing.

As for the armor - I mentioned the armor is tough, but that is not really the case. Yes, the citadel of the ship is hard to hit but the 32mm plating means HE spammers will look at this ship as if it is their birthday present. Definitely feels tougher than Alsace though.

About the guns - high velocity shells, loads of penetration, great HE... The only drawback is the accuracy, but the RoF tends to make up for that. One thing that I find strange (in a good way for me) is that the shells that hit tend to find the enemy's citadel quite easily. It is not uncommon to miss with 6 out of 8 shelss and still do almost 30K damage with the last two. 

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Players
8 posts
4,169 battles
20 hours ago, Merlin851526 said:

By far the most accurate description of driving the Republic. I think my worst win rate BB currently I just cant get it to work. Burned down most matches and trolled by the guns although lethal when fired at me lol. Just finished a (short) game where our DD's were lost within minutes of the match and I spent most of it on fire. Caught a De Moines and Roon broadside. fired into Roon perfect dispersion (for once) and only did 9k damage De Moines tried to ram missed I fired point blank 5k damage. Roon destroyed me with torpedoes. Couldn't make it up. All in all really frustrating experience in this ship so far. 

Yp5OfLA.jpg

27k dmg in a t10 bb that reload in 20 secs wtf are you doing at this tier

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
462 posts
6,865 battles
2 hours ago, underviv said:

27k dmg in a t10 bb that reload in 20 secs wtf are you doing at this tier

This isn't a invite for you to stat shame and crow about how great you are:Smile_facepalm:. What are you doing in tread with nothing relevant to add.  This screen shot illustrates the weakness of the ship when focus out of a game with HE and crusty the clown RNG. Moreover I'm reinforcing a similar opinion of another poster within this thread. Now if you haven't anything relevant to contribute to the tread I suggest you troll elsewhere and leave this to people who have an actual interest in the subject matter.

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,712 posts
8,745 battles
21 minutes ago, Merlin851526 said:

This screen shot illustrates the weakness of the ship

But it only shows your weakness, or your incapability to play this ship accordingly to its strengths.

Getting sunk by a Roon with torpedos only means that you are by far too close to the enemy. And yes, if you are so close to an enemy, you will only get overpens with the high-pen armament of the Republique. What else do you expect? This ship is very mobile, great range and has godlike pen-values. But as downsides a HE-susceptible armor scheme.

You just do not play well in this ship. So, don't blame the ship for the lack of proper results!

• Boring 1

[WAIFU]
Players
8 posts
4,169 battles
46 minutes ago, Merlin851526 said:

This isn't a invite for you to stat shame and crow about how great you are:Smile_facepalm:. What are you doing in tread with nothing relevant to add.  This screen shot illustrates the weakness of the ship when focus out of a game with HE and crusty the clown RNG. Moreover I'm reinforcing a similar opinion of another poster within this thread. Now if you haven't anything relevant to contribute to the tread I suggest you troll elsewhere and leave this to people who have an actual interest in the subject matter.

when im i stat shaming? when did i brag about my stats? 
getting less than a third of your base hp in t10 is ridiculous 
the republique is one of the most well rounded bb that can fight at close range and long range. you anyhilate cruisers and bbs at any range, the guns are fairly accurate and fast reloading 
there is no "god rng" only bad plays. you get focused you dont push in like a retard to get torped by a roon... you kite and use the great angles and his low amount of front guns to limit his firepower if he doesnt want to get rekt
the ship is not weak. you do not park next to a harugumo and expect to get away with it 
you get spammed by he you time your reload/ damacon and go stealth to heal or just increase range 
the ship is great even with the legendary
just learn to play it to its strenghts

• Boring 1

Players
462 posts
6,865 battles
24 minutes ago, underviv said:

when im i stat shaming? when did i brag about my stats? 
getting less than a third of your base hp in t10 is ridiculous 
the republique is one of the most well rounded bb that can fight at close range and long range. you anyhilate cruisers and bbs at any range, the guns are fairly accurate and fast reloading 
there is no "god rng" only bad plays. you get focused you dont push in like a retard to get torped by a roon... you kite and use the great angles and his low amount of front guns to limit his firepower if he doesnt want to get rekt
the ship is not weak. you do not park next to a harugumo and expect to get away with it 
you get spammed by he you time your reload/ damacon and go stealth to heal or just increase range 
the ship is great even with the legendary
just learn to play it to its strenghts

WTF was I doing in tier 10 I believe was your first response to me . It's as if your some sort of gatekeeper for that tier. You could have read the accompanying text attached to my screen shot but you didn't you decided I didn't belong in that tier because your having better games in that ship than me. Because if you did you would have seen how I ended up as I did. A point which I feel illustrates the strengths and weakness of this ship namely 32mm and over penning guns.

And you make the assumption that it was a Harugumo that burnt me down, nope wrong of course Zao and Hindenburg that did all the damage. Furthermore you have the temerity to call me a retard for getting torped by the Roon because I didn't push in? It's precisely the reason the Roon was able to torp me because I was in the cap trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. If leaping to conclusions was an Olympic sport you would no doubt be a Gold medallist.  

[WAIFU]
Players
8 posts
4,169 battles
4 minutes ago, Merlin851526 said:

WTF was I doing in tier 10 I believe was your first response to me . It's as if your some sort of gatekeeper for that tier. You could have read the accompanying text attached to my screen shot but you didn't you decided I didn't belong in that tier because your having better games in that ship than me. Because if you did you would have seen how I ended up as I did. A point which I feel illustrates the strengths and weakness of this ship namely 32mm and over penning guns.

And you make the assumption that it was a Harugumo that burnt me down, nope wrong of course Zao and Hindenburg that did all the damage. Furthermore you have the temerity to call me a retard for getting torped by the Roon because I didn't push in? It's precisely the reason the Roon was able to torp me because I was in the cap trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. If leaping to conclusions was an Olympic sport you would no doubt be a Gold medallist.  

yeah because whatever the reason not even 30k in a t10 bb is a complete missplay and you act like im wrong here.. iyeah 32mm is known from the start and the guns dont overpen as much as a yamato
whatever you got farmed by it doesnt matter
yeah getting torped by a cruiser with 6km torps in a cap is retarded.. pushing in too soon or with too low hp is not a proof of intelligence 
yeah whatever man dont blame a ship thats great because you suck at the game learn to aim properlly and to position yourself and then come talk about a "bad ship"

• Boring 1

Players
462 posts
6,865 battles
5 ore fa, principat121 ha scritto:

But it only shows your weakness, or your incapability to play this ship accordingly to its strengths.

Getting sunk by a Roon with torpedos only means that you are by far too close to the enemy. And yes, if you are so close to an enemy, you will only get overpens with the high-pen armament of the Republique. What else do you expect? This ship is very mobile, great range and has godlike pen-values. But as downsides a HE-susceptible armor scheme.

You just do not play well in this ship. So, don't blame the ship for the lack of proper results!

Christ another one, this isn't about me it was about a situation where all the ships weakness were apparent. that particular game was lost in the first few minutes all the DD's died it seemed all at once. Game was over so I pushed in to cap no one else was going to do so. That.s why I ended up the way I did. I could have course hit speed boost and head out to border area of the map and snipe in. But no doubt if I did that you'd still find something wrong with it. 

4 ore fa, underviv ha scritto:

yeah because whatever the reason not even 30k in a t10 bb is a complete missplay and you act like im wrong here.. iyeah 32mm is known from the start and the guns dont overpen as much as a yamato
whatever you got farmed by it doesnt matter
yeah getting torped by a cruiser with 6km torps in a cap is retarded.. pushing in too soon or with too low hp is not a proof of intelligence 
yeah whatever man dont blame a ship thats great because you suck at the game learn to aim properlly and to position yourself and then come talk about a "bad ship"

Just stop like a good lad I've wasted enough time on you.

[UTW]
8,973 posts
7,324 battles

Don't use a game where you landed a total of 12 shells as an example. It's ridiculous and deserves you.

République hits cruisers as hard as they hit it. I have multiples game where I did devastating damages to cruisers trying to take advantage of République's squishiness.

Sign in to follow this