You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

Why players not are climbing the ranks in Ranked as expected

What in this Ranked season is hindering my progression  

223 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. The primary reason of above..

• Bad teammates
    • Bad RNG
    • Bad MM
    • Bad tier
    • Bad ships
    • I'm bad
    • I'm too frustrated to play well
    • I've reached my skillevel
    • WG or some unknown force is holding me back
    • People don't understand how to cooperate
    • I don't have premium account
    • I'm playing at some disadvantage
    • I've gotten hacked
    • I'm getting streamsniped
    • I'm too famous and people are focusing me :-(
    • I won't lower myself to playing anything that may be considered OP
    • I keep getting detonated
    • I'm holding out until only potatoes remain :->
    • I'm satisfied at my current level and I'm done for the season :-)
    • I don't have tier 10 ships and have to lose not to progress

154 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles

There's a lot of complaints about the horrid levels of play in Ranked battle and people are clearly not climbing the ranks like they expected this season either. Sometimes it's because of horrible teammates who must have kept losing their way up to the same rank and other times it's just bad RNG or MM. It doesn't matter how often these players top the scoreboard, the potatoes on the team are just uncarryable and it's even worse when they get that guy on the team who don't play to win but just goes after saving the star.

Time for a poll.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,718 posts
8,745 battles

next biased poll :Smile_sceptic:

if you are frustrated, please restrain yourself from opening useless polls

thanks

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
6 minutes ago, principat121 said:

next biased poll :Smile_sceptic:

if you are frustrated, please restrain yourself from opening useless polls

thanks

Principat.. you really must learn not to post too quickly, especially if you have comprehension issues. You're welcome for the advice :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,439 posts
13,436 battles

From my perspective, it's a mixture of factors. Fundamentally, I'm just not good enough though!

To get from 15 to 10 (my current situation) realistically requires far too many wins in a row, and I'm not good enough to carry if my team-mates are even worse than I am.

Oh well, I'll just have to git gud for next season...

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles

Hm.

After some consideration and in-depth data analysis I'd dare to say that one of-, if not outright the most plausible reason for my inadequate and worse than expectable progression is that I do not play ranked in this season. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 7

[SM0KE]
Players
5,439 posts
13,436 battles

As an addendum, the thought occurs that people may be less prepared to put up with the frustration, now that the mode is no longer shiny + new; in the past, they might have been willing to just keep grinding - perhaps no longer, at least not to the same degree...?

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,585 posts
12,558 battles
21 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

There's a lot of complaints about the horrid levels of play in Ranked battle and people are clearly not climbing the ranks like they expected this season either. Sometimes it's because of horrible teammates who must have kept losing their way up to the same rank and other times it's just bad RNG or MM. It doesn't matter how often these players top the scoreboard, the potatoes on the team are just uncarryable and it's even worse when they get that guy on the team who don't play to win but just goes after saving the star.

Time for a poll.

Why I can't select more than one option?

It is clear that in my case it is a combination of "I've gotten hacked", "I'm too famous and people are focusing me :-(" and "WG or some unknown force is holding me back"

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
1,022 posts
5,416 battles
9 minutes ago, BattleshipAP said:

because it's literally impossible to save the star in a DD

This. Even 90k damage, a cap and a kill don't suffice. Doing your job well doesn't get rewarded as long as your bbs even land half their shots because damage. 

• Cool 6

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

What's stream sniping?!

Sounds like a hazard of using a public toilet :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

Players
2,735 posts
10,310 battles

Its a mix of everything, and it always was.
Ranked, (contrary to popular belief that are skill based pros only mode), are a lottery.
You can do everything right, and loose, you can do everything wrong and win.
Just like randoms, but with less players.

But, if you really want to hold the weight of your team, then you need to pick a ship that can carry a game (usually radar cruiser or DD). The problem is, that ships usually require a higher skill to be played properly, and are to some degree reliant on your team support, but hey, if you think you are good enough, and you deserve the r1, you should carry the weight and be a deciding factor.

• Cool 2

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Btw you missed one:

Lack of T10 Prem ships so XP multipliers can't be abused :cap_money:

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
5 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

Ranked, (contrary to popular belief that are skill based pros only mode), are a lottery.

But, if you really want to hold the weight of your team, then you need to pick a ship that can carry a game (usually radar cruiser or DD). The problem is, that ships usually require a higher skill to be played properly, and are to some degree reliant on your team support, but hey, if you think you are good enough, and you deserve the r1, you should carry the weight and be a deciding factor.

How is it a lottery but require high skill and carry potential to reach r1?

Ranked, imo, isn't a lottery, but closer to the second paragraph. If you stop progressing, you're probably close to your skill ceiling - the current rank. The 'bad' teammates around you are probably similar to you in skill. Some better, some worse.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,861 posts
11,810 battles
14 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Btw you missed one:

Lack of T10 Prem ships so XP multipliers can't be abused :cap_money:

My one and only T10 is my Shimakaze which although I've had unlocked for 5 months or so (maybe longer) I've only had a handful of battles in her.

I've yet to play her since the recent buff though.

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

My one and only T10 is my Shimakaze which although I've had unlocked for 5 months or so (maybe longer) I've only had a handful of battles in her.

I've yet to play her since the recent buff though.

Get in Ranked! It feels like 50% of all DDs are Shimas which confuses the hell out of me as it's probably not that good a pick... :cap_book:

[H_FAN]
Players
2,568 posts
40,852 battles
18 minutes ago, cro_pwr said:

Nevertheless the RNG/lotteryfactor is less in ranked:

You are 1 in 7 instead of 1 in 12 so you can impact more

Same tier ships, same maps gives less variation, hence more stable game metas to learn.

No divisions - better for us soloplayers

It is always a lottery in the short run , but in the long run less.

Besides in random at least I takes the game less serious but still serious i.e. I grind, I play different ships as a collector, less flags etc..

• Cool 2

[2137]
[2137]
Weekend Tester
320 posts
7,295 battles
3 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Ranked, imo, isn't a lottery, but closer to the second paragraph. If you stop progressing, you're probably close to your skill ceiling - the current rank. The 'bad' teammates around you are probably similar to you in skill. Some better, some worse.

I'd say it's more about teammates being stupid rather than bad. In several matches already, I witnessed my team pushing way more than they should just to get rekt one by one even though we had all the possible advantages over the enemy team. 

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
2 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Get in Ranked! It feels like 50% of all DDs are Shimas which confuses the hell out of me as it's probably not that good a pick... :cap_book:

Not a great pick, but I don't think it seems terrible either. The concealment boost makes it tough to meet when played at its strengths. ..but sure, I'd rather face shimas than many other dds.

[UNICS]
Players
4,501 posts
15,942 battles
1 minute ago, MK1D said:

I'd say it's more about teammates being stupid rather than bad. In several matches already, I witnessed my team pushing way more than they should just to get rekt one by one even though we had all the possible advantages over the enemy team. 

Did you notice the wins you got when the enemy team pushed into you one by one?

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
7 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Not a great pick, but I don't think it seems terrible either. The concealment boost makes it tough to meet when played at its strengths. ..but sure, I'd rather face shimas than many other dds.

Only DDs worse than Shima are the two Rashan ones arguably. US, PA and KM are all top picks. 

But yeah the sheer RNG is crazy. Usually the best CV means an almost assured win but last night the one on my team got sniped as First Blood but it was the last ship we lost and we completely face rolled the enemy. I'm doubting it happened when i think back to it :Smile_teethhappy:

[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,230 battles
1 minute ago, MK1D said:

This this morning..lost 5 stars....will probably get those back this afternoon but still.....

LgTvZAe.gif

...a VERY frustrating season so far I would say..

• Funny 3

Players
2,181 posts
38 minutes ago, FishDogFoodShack said:

Because nobody who plays this game is worth a cup full of spit.

Hardly an accurate comment as to the qualities of the players in ranked battles. True there are some dumb mothers of Potatoes who leave you pulling your hair out but in general most players want to play properly... Apart from yesterday... I am sure it will haunt me forever... We are 6-3 up in ships we are winning easily and then for some unexplained reason a single enemy Midway 3 group torpedo strike, that's 3 lots of torpedo bombers dropping their loads in one attack, sinks 4 of our ships including our Midway literally one after the other whilst I am capping zones with a Gearing... You couldn't write it honestly... I almost left the PC to make a coffee i was so shocked. :Smile_amazed:

12 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Since the Shimakaze was refined they are in almost every ranked X game now. I love playing my Shimakaze again and she has served me well..

If you're confused about the Shimakaze I found this for you..Might help. 

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
44 minutes ago, BattleshipAP said:

because it's literally impossible to save the star in a DD

271.gif

1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

Why players not are climbing the ranks in Ranked as expected

2 pretty simple reasons:

• Unrealistic expectations
    • xXx_Jonny_2005_xXx is sure he will get his Rank 1 this season, and having average WR of 30% will not stop him!
  • Idiot-proof system where WG pushes people upwards for no reason (irrevocable ranks and saving a star)
    • Irrevocable ranks are simply a bad idea - you got lucky enough to win a few games for no other reason than getting lucky? Enjoy ruining every game you play from now on because you simply can't fall back down to your skill level!
      • If there's so much dislike for "falling" or excuses like "but this stops a losing strike" why not replace irrevocable ranks with demotion series (win 2 out of next 3 games to keep your rank) between each 2 leagues (so at R15, at R10 and at R5)?
      • At the same time I wouldn't mind a promotion series to get up that league to counteract that same "just got lucky" idea (so at R16, R11, R6 and R2)
    • Saving a star destroys last shreds of teamwork most games could get, presents biased options towards some classes over others and ends every non-draw game with a positive star sum
      • There will always be someone who, regardless of if they are winning or losing, will just work to save the star. This, of course, leads into selfish playstyle, as team-based actions usually give next to no XP
      • As soon as the team starts losing (enemies get cap first / a ship dies) there will be even more people "jumping the ship" and just going for "must keep MY star, screw the team!" playstyles
      • Some ships simply because of how their class / general playstyle works have better chance at saving a star than others - often at the expense of correct play and teamwork
        • A BB doing the correct thing and TANKING for his team will pretty much never save a star. Tanking is not rewarded, damage is
        • A BB hiding behind allies, using them as meatshields and just shooting enemies, preferably cruisers, and doing damage has a decent chance at saving the star
        • A cruiser putting himself in a good position to Radar enemies often is unable to do much shooting himself. Spotting is not rewarded, damage is
        • A cruiser kiting at max range and shooting anything that gets within range has a decent chance to save the star
        • A DD spotting enemies and making sure his team can do something will not save his star. Spotting is not rewarded, damage is
        • A DD solocapping (even if just the one free cap that every map now has) stands a decent chance to save the star as capping gives ridiculous ammounts of XP (as it should)
        • A DD securing multiple caps rarely loses a star
        • A DD getting a cap + dueling (and winning) against another DD rarely loses a star
        • A CV is generally screwed either way, they basically never keep a star
      • Game ends with +7 -6 = +1 star. This means that overall those 14 players have increased the total amount of stars by 1. This leads to people being artificially pushed upwards without actually deserving to be there

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1