Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fat_Maniac

Replacing Cleveland in Ops.

31 comments in this topic

[HOO]
Players
1,887 posts
3,707 battles

With the US cruiser split due soon. it got me thinking about tier 6 operations.

At the moment Cleveland is one of my favorite ships to take on the T6 operations, great DPM with an IFHE commander, and of course great for shooting down the bot planes. Whenever one of the OPs with lots of carriers was up you could almost guarantee to see a Cleveland in your team line up.

So my question is, When Cleveland moves to T8, what is going to be the best ship to replace her with? 

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,093 posts
8,451 battles

I don't know what ship will replace the Cleveland, but that one should work. Other than that Budyonny, La Galissionere or Nurnberg should work just fine.

The thing is since Cleveland always pretty much was a tier 8 in disguise a full on replacement is not going to be easy to find. The previous ships I mentioned offers gun power, flexibility, some AA and in some cases durability. But none offers everything at the same time like the Cleveland does.

Players
9,881 posts
11,605 battles
5 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

At the moment Cleveland is one of my favorite ships to take on the T6 operations, great DPM with an IFHE commander, and of course great for shooting down the bot planes. Whenever one of the OPs with lots of carriers was up you could almost guarantee to see a Cleveland in your team line up.

So my question is, When Cleveland moves to T8, what is going to be the best ship to replace her with? 

Budyonny, De Grasse and Nurnberg are workable, though they lack dpm and AA potential of a Cleveland.

Players
295 posts
1,716 battles
22 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Possibly Dallas, the new T6 US CL. It should be the natural replacement. But we don't really know until it appears.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,820 posts
10,976 battles
3 hours ago, ollonborre said:

I don't know what ship will replace the Cleveland

image.thumb.png.c2e6e290f13060356ec01c88ad58df9b.png

• Cool 3

Players
2,773 posts
17,292 battles

AA spec Queen Elizabeth is a beast for operations. (230 DPS at 7.2km wipes the sky clean, accurate AP blaps predictable bot cruisers etc)

dzA1xL6.jpg

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,498 posts
19,749 battles

One thing is certain about the Dallas, it won't be as fun as Cleveland because the secondary trollbuild that worked so well won't be viable. With 6x2 127mm secondaries Cleveland had the potential to engage several enemies at once, and since you needed IFHE anyway the HE on your secondaries was really effective. With 2x2 + 2x1 Dallas won't be near as effective. But the same build will work for it, since AA is based on the same skills.

For my future T6 ops I decided upon the Normandie with a full secondary build. With good speed, 12 main guns, a heal, and 30 secondary rifles at 7,6km with flag, the ship just rocks . The only problem is the AA, but you can't have it all.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,093 posts
8,451 battles
20 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Apart from the range (which is kind of offset by a pretty good base concealment) this does not look too bad actually.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,551 posts
17,833 battles

While Dallas should be the logical AA replacement (AA was supposed to be the US cruiser line speciality), the other current tier 6 cruisers are in general very well suited for operations. The only one I haven't used is Galissonniere, because I have no captain for her.

Even Aoba is viable due to the short reload of the 203mm guns.

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,522 battles

Tbh I never really used the Cleveland in operations, I saved it to use in ops but I always ended up playing either the Leander, Nürnberg or the Fuso.

I just never felt challenged in the Cleveland, it was too easy and rightly so considering its enourmous healthpool for a tier 6 CL and the monstrous dpm and AA-suite.

Now I’m thinking about buying the Aoba again, I kinda want a CA for ops and I remember having great games in the Aoba back in the days ☺️

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
394 posts
19,347 battles

Leander si god of operations... smoke, heal, torps... One of best ships for scenarios...

leander-17.jpg

leander-20.jpg

Players
1,081 posts
12,626 battles

My go to is always the Duca D'Aosta I constantly rack up 20+ citadel hits in the thing and with the speed and maneuverability plus the utility of having both Def AA and Hydro make it a good pick for me as long as it is an operation in which you can get the side of ships, so Killer Whale isn't a good OP for the ship due to the narrow entrances mean most targets will be bow on.

As for silver ships the most effective will probably be the Dallas as while it won't be quite Cleveland levels it will at least keep the main characteristics, High shell arcs and good AA.

[POP]
Players
598 posts
11,736 battles

My goto ship for operations is AA specced La Galissoniere. 203mm doesn't need IFHE and  AP citadels all the things. Manual AA with DFAA swats everything out of the sky.

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,551 posts
17,833 battles
15 minutes ago, Yogibjoern said:

Dallas I guess. On paper it seems almost as strong as the Cleveland.

For what I just watched on Flamu's stream, less armor, fewer guns, weaker long range AAA and lower health points than Cleveland.

And Cleveland was not that OP when you check average stats. Only AAA was OP.

Players
1,081 posts
12,626 battles
1 hour ago, Altsak said:

My goto ship for operations is AA specced La Galissoniere. 203mm doesn't need IFHE and  AP citadels all the things. Manual AA with DFAA swats everything out of the sky.

But the La Galissoniere has 152mm guns not 203mm, I do agree that the guns are good.

Players
161 posts
5,853 battles

main disadvantage of the other T6 cruisers compared to the Cleavland is they have citadels in the match as well as in the armor viewer....

Players
4,447 posts
7,604 battles
2 hours ago, Altsak said:

Erm, manual AA only affects guns > 85 mm, LaG gets a grand total of 15 DPS out of its 4 x 2 90 mm guns and even then the range is pretty low.

Players
1,245 posts
9,300 battles

I'm going to miss the T6 Cleveland for sure.

I figure it's for the better if there isn't a 1:1 replacement. I always felt Cleveland was somewhat OP.

Players
5,976 posts
11,364 battles

So far I think La Ga is ok as a replacement. I don't have a captain on my Nürnberg atm, but I remember liking her.

I have recently (partially thanks to these missions) tried out Budyonny and I think this is a great replacement.

I didn't like Leander very much, it has poor AA, bad damage potential vs angled targets and poor range.

Don't forget that these other cruisers have something that Cleveland doesn't, torps :fish_viking:

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,765 posts
5,290 battles
7 hours ago, SeeteufeI said:

Obvious choice. Time will tell if the obvious choice is the right one. Doesn't look bad at all though, mind.

Players
920 posts
11,130 battles

Personally I feel that AA is a bit ...overemphasized, so to say? Well, at least in my case. Again personally, nowadays I prefer DPM above all (and thus the Cleve & Leander), AA is fine if it's "good enough". Sure, it is hilarious when you massacre all the planes yourself, because nobody else bothered to bring a single slingshot with him, but under normal circumstances, I feel that the classic "waaagh, all energy to AA!"-specialization is an unnecessary overkill.

I am interested in the Pensacola, however. As said above, if she won't be nerfed into the ground (not necessarily by performance, but by handling and comfortability), then it might just be the next topkek ship. Yeah, I know, I just said that "dpm above all", but come on. Mk 19 203mm American Piercing. These are Baltimore shells. Potentially at T6. Okay, stock Balti, but still! :Smile_playing:

Sign in to follow this