You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Eldarad

I dont understand the auto-resupply tickbox for signals

20 comments in this topic

[BCF]
Players
2 posts
6,913 battles

I find the new(ish) auto-resupply option for signals confusing - and I think it's because of the wording.

I want the game to behave such that it will resupply signals I have in stock, but not to buy signals with doubloons. And I'm never sure if that's actually how the game will behave. I think using the words "in-game currency" isn't helpful as credits and doubloons are both in-game currency, but I want the game to treat them differently since one is mostly obtained with real life money and the other isn't.

I get the feeling the devs are aware of this distinction, but somewhere along the line the wording that was used has gotten confused. There's such a lot of potential to upset players by having them inadvertantly spend real money on a signal - hopefully the wording can be clarified for the next update?

auto resupply.jpg

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
13,036 battles

Untick the box.

Signal flags can only be gained via containers, ingame rewards or doubloons unlike camouflages and consumables which can also be purchased with credits. Ergo as soon as you run out of those signal flags, with that box checked it will resupply via charging doubloons.

The auto-resupply alone will, as the name suggests, automatically resupply the signal flags if you have any left in stock and not stock any if you're completely out of them.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,740 battles
17 minutes ago, Eldarad said:

I find the new(ish) auto-resupply option for signals confusing - and I think it's because of the wording.

I want the game to behave such that it will resupply signals I have in stock, but not to buy signals with doubloons. And I'm never sure if that's actually how the game will behave. I think using the words "in-game currency" isn't helpful as credits and doubloons are both in-game currency, but I want the game to treat them differently since one is mostly obtained with real life money and the other isn't.

I get the feeling the devs are aware of this distinction, but somewhere along the line the wording that was used has gotten confused. There's such a lot of potential to upset players by having them inadvertantly spend real money on a signal - hopefully the wording can be clarified for the next update?

auto resupply.jpg

But, but...

It's really quite clear, though?

Auto resupply: ENABLED / DISABLED

If enabled, the game will try to mount the signals after the battle

Then there's the extra checkbox to tick in if you want the game to also try and purchase the signals for you when the stock runs out.

If you really wanted to pick on something, there's a much bigger issue with consumables, really - specifically with the "default" currency being the doublons (while credits are also an available option), creating a possibility of people setting themselves up for doublon resupply by mistake.

As for the "in-game currency" thing - it's just a carry-over from the other things that can be resupplied. Consumables can be bought for credits or doublons (you pick which). Camos have only one currency, but - depending on the camo in question - the currency can be different. That's why they need the neutral "in-game currency" - somewhat redundant with signals (only doublons) but, on the other hand, consistent.

The whole system could be less clunky and I would certainly prefer to see it broken into three checkboxes instead of the current button+checkbox, something like:

- resupply from the reserve Y/N

- resupply for credits Y/N

- resupply for doublons Y/N

But it really isn't confusing. Unwieldy sometimes, yes. Potentially making (costly) errors possible (in case of premium consumables), yes. But not confusing - just reading what the options are is really enough to figure out what the options do. I mean, seriously, what could "resupply for in-game currency" mean in case of signals that can't even be bought for anything other than doublons?

• Cool 1

Players
8,089 posts
8,914 battles

I found the whole rework kind of unnecessary and confusing. And poorly communicated. Shouldn't have been too hard to ask Dasha to explain the players where to tick what box to get their flags, camos and consumerables for credits or doubloons.

[CATS]
Players
26,144 posts
14,103 battles

Do you pay silver for the flags?

Now think about what currency the game will use to auto-buy the flags...

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,443 posts
1 hour ago, Eldarad said:

auto resupply.jpg

It is impossible to buy signal flags for credits. I would recommend unchecking that box, as it WILL resupply the flags for DOUBLOONS if you happen to run out.

And yes, I do agree the wording is bad. It should say doubloons as credits and doubloons are both 'in-game' currency.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,060 posts
19,528 battles

On this i"m afraid Wargaming have got it wrong very wrong if not outright deceiving. There are 2 in game currency's  Credits and Doubloons. Im sorry but that tick box should say Doubloons NOT Currency.  

• Cool 4

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

While I applaud the introduction of being able to buy flags outside of the forced-combination bundles in the premium store... the implementation is a bit scummy, with the "enabled" being selected by default, and having to de-select it for every flag on every ship. 

And we're still waiting on a "demount all"-button for flags, and customisable banks of flags one can create, to install multiple, user-made, combinations of flags with 1 button.

• Cool 4

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

It's confusing and it is intended to be confusing. WG makes money on your mistakes. That's why they use the phrasing "in-game currency" despite the fact that there's two in-game currencies. WG are hoping that you'll misunderstand or forget about having the renew option checked, so that you'll only find out after you've wasted your money.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,869 posts
9,434 battles
1 hour ago, MrFingers said:

While I applaud the introduction of being able to buy flags outside of the forced-combination bundles in the premium store... the implementation is a bit scummy, with the "enabled" being selected by default, and having to de-select it for every flag on every ship.

I'm not sure I follow

You don't have to "de-select it for every flag on every ship". You just have to de-select it when you enable the auto-resupply option.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,740 battles
4 hours ago, MrFingers said:

But it's false. At least in my client not a single ship ended up with this checkbox ticked in once the patch hit. To have my doublons drained would require an action on my side.

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
5 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Doubloons are currency.

Correct, but they could reword it to say Doubloons INSTEAD of currency which can be misunderstood.

You however are just trolling as usual.

[HOO]
Players
2,191 posts
51 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

If logic is trolling nowadays...

But why I am suprised? :Smile_ohmy:

LOGICally reading the text it could mean either currency silver or Doubloons. While Doubloons are in the game, they are not earned in the game in a conventional manner, they're bought outside the game with the exception of a few rewards.

You're not surprised because of the way you behave on the forum, you're typically abrasive for no other reason than to be unpleasant, talk down to people because you've a belief you're superior and occasionally outright rude.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,740 battles
4 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Correct, but they could reword it to say Doubloons INSTEAD of currency which can be misunderstood.

You however are just trolling as usual.

"Currency" is the word used because it's the generic message for all things resupplied on auto-reload.

- premium consumables can be set to drain credits or doublons, hence "in-game currency"

- some camos are purchasable for credits, other for doublons, hende "in-game currency"

The difference is that there are currently no "silver" signals available but the message stays generic (featuring "in-game currency" and leaving it up to players to figure out what possible currency might be drained by resupplying things that can only be purchased for doublons)

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

I find it questionable that WG doesn't make sure to clearly communicate the cost when we're talking about purchases using actual money. Especially considering the fact that people are repeatedly showing up on this forum, pointing out that this is confusing and that they've lost money on it.

[BCF]
Players
2 posts
6,913 battles

I'm not suggesting it's deceptive or even deliberate on the part of Wargaming. I completely understand and am comfortable with the fact that in a free-to-play game the developer has to give players the opportunity to spend real money in order to finance the game's development. But it does look like the text from a different screen has been copy and pasted without considering whether it is clear and appropriate for signals. I also notice from the replies to this thread that the explanations as to how it's not confusing rely on you already knowing the situation regarding the purchase of signals, which rather confirms that it is not intuitive for people who are relying on the tooltip to actually explain what the tickbox does.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,245 posts
9,259 battles
On 9-5-2018 at 10:22 PM, eliastion said:

But it's false. At least in my client not a single ship ended up with this checkbox ticked in once the patch hit. To have my doublons drained would require an action on my side.

I lost 300 gold because the auto-supply for camoes was auto-selected.

Anytime I put something on my ships the checkbox is ON for auto-supply and it therefore requires an ACTION on my side to not have my doubloons drained.

No idea why that apparently is not the case for you?

I myself found it quite a bit scummy when I noticed I lost gold while playing a ship without any notice at all!